• Published 19th Feb 2012
  • 3,784 Views, 218 Comments

Life, Death, and Ponies - thunderclap



2nd POV. You are depressed, and when you die, you are given a second chance at happieness

  • ...
21
 218
 3,784

Introductions

“The first thing you should know about me is that my name is [your name] and I’m dead.” You said it in a nonchalant way, but almost started laughing at the reactions from the princesses.

“You’re dead, but you’re standing right here. How can this be?” Luna asked warily
.

“I agree it does seem unbelievable.” Celestia said, almost glaring at you.

“Maybe that was too much to start with?” You suggested, offering them an apologetic look.

“Yes, why don’t you start your story from the beginning?”

“Huh, alright but have some Kleenexes or something, this could be a tearjerker.” As soon as you said that the princesses materialized handkerchiefs in case your claim proved true. ‘I kind of want to learn how to do that.’ You thought before you continued. “I am not from this world at all. I come from a world where bipedal beings called humans are the dominant species.”

“I’m sorry but what is a human?” Celestia asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, humans evolved from the ancestors of monkeys and apes so imagine a hairless monkey without a tail and a more expressive face. I did have a picture but I don’t think that came with me.”

“If you’re talking about the bag that was found with you last night, then yes it’s here.” Celestia said a little intrigued at your offer.

“It did? Where is it? Did anybody look through it?” You cried out frantically. Your shoulder bag was the last thing you cared about. Inside were all of the things that reminded you that you had had a happy life. To anybody else it was a collection of useless trinkets and toys, but to you it was almost as necessary as the air you breathed. Losing it was one of the reasons you had screamed that morning.

“Relax, no one looked inside. We merely had it examined with magic to make sure that it wouldn’t cause any harm to my little ponies.” As Celestia said that your bag appeared in front of you. You opened it and quickly discovered that all of your things were safe and accounted for. “You have your bag now, so may we see what one of these humans looks like?” Celestia asked, somewhat eagerly.

“Sure, just promise me that you won’t do anything to it or show it to anybody else.” You said as you pulled a photo of your mother and father before you were born out of your bag. You didn’t have too much time to look at it as the princesses levitated towards them. They stared at it for a while and then looked at you.

“Is one of these humans you?” Luna asked.

“No that’s my mother and father, which leads me to part two of my story.” The princesses nodded for you to continue and returned the photo to you. “I used to live with my mother and father, and for a while we were pretty happy. Then my mom died on my seventh birthday while the doctors were trying to fix her.” Tears formed in all eyes of the room as you spoke. “My dad and I were forced to live in a tiny apartment because of the bill that the hospital sent. My dad went into a state of deep depression from the loss of my mother and killed himself a few years later.”

“What would possess somepony, let alone a parent to kill themself?” Celestia asked, actively crying now.

“I’ll get to that part.” You said failing at stopping your own tears from falling. “After my dad’s suicide I was sent from orphanages and foster homes. I never stayed in one place for any long length of time. It seemed like nobody wanted me. I would infuriate abusive homes with my lack of response, and depressed the optimistic ones. When I did go to school kids would usually make fun of me because of my depression. Emo is a word they used a lot to insult me. Because I moved a lot I didn’t stay in schools long enough for them to teach me. I took care of my own education and ended up on par if not a little better than most my age in that regard. The last place I lived was with a politician. He was using me and I did something to make him regret that. I walked out of his home and ended up in an accident that killed me. Instead of going to the place people usually go when they die I met God. We had a bit of a heated exchange where I learned some life changing facts about myself. “

“What Facts did you learn?” Luna asked.

“Hold your horses I’m getting to that.” The princesses rolled their eyes at your pathetic attempt at humor. “I learned that all humans are born with a thread of fate that directs their lives in one direction or another, but usually doesn’t affect their lives in any significant way. I learned that I was a special case among special cases, where my thread caused tragedy after tragedy in my life. I learned that my parents death, and everything else that’s ever happened to me, it was all my fault.” You covered your face with your hooves and wept freely. The Princesses walked over to you and wrapped their wings around you in a warm embrace. You wanted to leave it but the feeling was almost nice.

“Hush now, none of that was your fault. You didn’t mean for any of it to happen. And I don’t think your parents would blame you either.” Celestia said trying to wipe a tear out of her eye now ending the embrace. “But it still doesn’t explain how you’re here.”

“Yes, and who is this God You speak of?” Continued Luna, who was having a harder time collecting herself.

“God is the creator of my world. He also gave people a basic guide to live by and tries to help them every now and then. After he told me about my thread of fate he said that he wanted to give me a second chance at life and happiness as an apology for the way my life turned out. I agreed but apparently you can’t bring life back into a world only create new life. So now I’m here, a candy colored pony with a huge horn, and only a few trinkets to remind myself that anything I just said is actually true.” You said it with a hint of bitterness.

“At least you were given another chance you should work to make the most of it.”

“I suppose you’re right. But if I’m going to start a new life then I’m going to need a place to live.”

“Yes, and you may want to think of a new name, [your name] may be a bit strange to anypony that doesn’t know your story.”

“Well how am I supposed to think of a pony approved name?”

“We could start by examining your cutie mark.” Celestia offered.

“Cutie what?”

“Look at your flank.” You turned your head to see a strange design on your rear. It started off with a blue swirling pattern with a black five pointed star at its center. You thought for a moment until a great name came to mind.

“I think I’ll call myself Blackstar from now on.”

“That is a fine name for a young unicorn such as yourself.” Celestia agreed. “As for a place to live I have a student in a small town called Ponyville that may prove to be a great help to you.”

“Thanks, but don’t tell her I’m coming, I prefer to arrive unannounced.”

“Trust me I know the feeling.” Celestia said with an almost evil grin plastered onto her face. “Before you go though I think you should have a basic understanding of magic if you are to find a place of employment.”

“That sounds like a good idea to me as well.” Luna agreed.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” You said.

“Good then for the next few days we will instruct you in the ways of magic here in the castle and perhaps teach you a little Equestrian history as well. So for the time being you will stay in the room you were given last night, with that said do you have any questions?”

“Just one, can I start learning right now?”

“No, I’m afraid you can’t.” Celestia said with a chuckle. “We have other business to attend to at the moment so it will have to wait until the morning.”

After that the princesses called in one of the winged guards, told him to lead you back to your room and told him that if you requested anything that it should be granted immediately. He stared at them for a moment in utter disbelief. He shot you a glare which you in turn responded with a look of pure innocence. He shook his head at you and led you back through the corridors to what would be your room for the next few days. The guard opened the door to your room and you thanked him as you walked inside.

“Will you be needing anything else, sir?” The guard said still regarding you with cold eyes. That didn’t bother you though; you were used to people looking at you like that. Not only that but you were some stranger who had waltzed in, demanded to speak to the princesses alone, and suddenly he was supposed to treat you like royalty. You understood where his aggression was coming from. But that didn’t mean you weren’t going to abuse your newfound power over the winged pony in front of you.

“Yes, I would like a hot fudge sundae with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, and could you have that brought to me immediately, that would be great.” You struggled to keep a straight face as the guard looked like he was about to blow a gasket. He started to grate his teeth together before he was able to speak again.

“That will be fine; I’ll have the royal chefs work on that at once.”

The guard came back a few minutes later and you thanked him for the sundae. The instant you brought the spoon to your mouth, the ice cream, chocolate and caramel blended in a way that some would describe as heavenly. It took you a while to figure out how to do so, but you finally managed to levitate the spoon. All you had to do was, concentrate your energy into your horn and create a mental image of the spoon being picked up. You congratulated yourself by finishing your sundae with your new ability. At first your aim was a bit off but after a while you perfected the art of magical eating.

Without thinking you pulled out your journal to see if you could use levitation to write. You soon discovered that you could and began to write down your thoughts on the day’s events.

Hey, me in the future. I hope you’re used to life in Equestria as you’re reading this because I don’t know if I am. In case you ever forget how it is we got here and what happened when we first got here let me give you a quick rundown. We died, met God. Then we were given a second chance at life as an apology for all the crap we went through in our old life. Then we woke up in a huge bedroom as a very confused looking unicorn. After that we had a little chat with the princesses where we told our entire life story. I never lost my cool though if that’s what you’re thinking. They then decided that they’re gonna teach us magic. So now I’m here sitting and waiting for tomorrow to come so I can see what magic can really do. Honestly, I’m still a little upset about my whole thread of fate situation, but after meeting the princesses and the hospitality they showed us, maybe, just maybe this was all for the best. I’ll talk to you later when I have something interesting to say.

You closed your journal and carefully slid it back into your bag before you made your way to your new bed for some rest for tomorrow.