• Published 19th Feb 2012
  • 3,789 Views, 218 Comments

Life, Death, and Ponies - thunderclap



2nd POV. You are depressed, and when you die, you are given a second chance at happieness

  • ...
21
 218
 3,789

Flowers for Departure

Blackstar woke up from a dreamless sleep and tried to stretch, which resulted in a sharp pain in his broken arm. He looked down at the small table in front of him where his case folder lied. He opened it to get a look at the letter that he had heard someone had sent him. At first, he thought it would be Stan, his case worker, but if he had wanted to send him a message he could’ve written it in the case folder when he had sent it to the hospital.

Blackstar was desperate to learn whatever secrets he could from it and quickly opened the folder, but something odd happened. Two envelopes dropped out of it. The first had two addresses on it, the address of the hospital and the return address. But the other was just a blank envelope. There were no clear markings on it or even a postage stamp. He quickly thought it was a message from Stan and opened it. What he read only served to confuse him more.

If you want the answers to all of your questions all you have to do is call for my aid.

-G

‘G, what’s that supposed to mean?’ Blackstar thought. ‘Stan’s last name doesn’t start with g, so who is this G person? It’s probably just a prank someone’s pulling on me. As if it’s not bad enough I have amnesia, now I have someone who’s messing with me about my past. Thanks, G, whoever you are. I know I’m not calling on you for help anytime soon. Let’s check out this other letter while I’m at it.’

Just as Blackstar was about to open the envelope someone knocked at the door.

“You can come in, I’m awake.” He said, slightly agitated. The door opened and a nurse poked her head into the room.

“Hey there, I brought you your breakfast, and there’s someone that wants to see you.”

“It’s fine, they can come in.”

The nurse brought in the tray and placed it in front of Blackstar. A moment later a man that appeared to be in his early forties stepped into the room gripping onto a vase with a white flower in it. The man had short cropped brown hair, and dark brown eyes. His face was fairly average looking except he looked like he hadn’t slept in a few days.

“Hey, Stan, are ya happy to see me?” Blackstar said with a forced smile.

“You remember me? That’s great!” Stan exclaimed. “What else do you remember?”

“I didn’t actually remember you.” Blackstar replied. “I just guessed that you’d be here to see me based on what’s written in the case folder.”

“Oh,” Stan said, clearly disappointed. He quickly shook the look off and offered a weak smile. “At least it’s nice to see you’re as sharp as ever.”

“What about you?” Blackstar said with a returned weak smile. “I’m the one that was in a car accident and you look worse than I do.”

“I drove all night to get here. I didn’t get any sleep.” Stan said, his smile getting warmer.

“So what’s that you got there?” Blackstar asked, pointing at the vase.

“This?” Stan said. “This is something Karen grew in her garden. She told me to give it you so your room would be a little livelier.” With that he brought up the vase so that Blackstar could finally get a good look at its contents. The white flower was one Blackstar knew well. A pain shot through the side of his skull. He started to clutch at his temple as a memory brought itself to the surface.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving today.” A female voice said.

“I know. I got you something.” Blackstar said.

“You’re the one that’s leaving. I should be the one to give you something.” The voice complained.

“You know I always do things backwards. Just like I know this is your favorite flower, but I made it blue so you’d remember me until I get back.”

“As if I could forget my annoying best friend,” The voice laughed

“Annoying? Don’t you mean charming, handsome, or something along those lines?”

“I mean exactly what I said… but,” The voice said, almost sounding like it was on the verge of tears. “I really wish you didn’t have to go.”

“I know, but I have to go. Lily, this is my lifelong dream we’re talking about. I’ll be done with this school in a few years and I’ll be back for sure.”

“You promise?” Blackstar didn’t say anything for a while, but he got the sense that something important was happening. Then it was over and he finally said,

“Yeah, I promise.”

The memory ended and the pain in Blackstar’s head quickly became a dull throb. He looked up and saw the flower again with a tear in his eye. “Lily.” He whispered.

“Hmm,” Stan said, “Did you just say lily? I think Karen said this was a lily but I’m not sure.”

“Yeah, it’s a lily. I don’t know how I know that, but I do.” Blackstar said with a sigh.

“Are you okay? Do you need any painkillers?” The nurse asked.

“Stan, I need to say something.” Blackstar said, giving the nurse a dismissive wave.

“Sure, you can tell me anything.”

“I need you to adopt me like you offered all those years ago.”

“That’s great news! But you said…”

“I read what I said,” Blackstar interrupted. “But, it’s just like what you wrote down. If somep…” Blackstar stopped for a moment to correct himself. “If someone doesn’t adopt me in a few months than I’m going to have to be on my own, and I don’t think I’m anywhere near ready for something like that. I mean, look at me. I look like I’m about ready to fall apart. Not to mention I can’t remember how to do a lot of things for myself. So, as much as I’m scared about this and what could happen, I need someone to help me until I can figure everything out.”

“Don’t worry, [Your Name], I’m here for you.” Stan replied with a reassuring smile.

“Thanks, Stan. I’m sorry I had to ask this of you.”

“Don’t be. I’m going to call Karen and let her know that when you’re discharged that you’re coming to live with us. Derek will be so relieved to know that you’re alright. You just focus on getting better, try to relax and watch some TV. I’ll see you when you’re better, okay?”

“Yeah, you should go. You’ve got a family that’s waiting for you.”

“They’re you’re family now too, Son.” Stan said with a warm smile, and a tear rolling down his cheek.

It was about an hour after he ate his breakfast that the thought of his new memory started to nag at Blackstar. He looked at his case folder again to see if he could find anything that might mention this, Lily he had obviously known. He spent what felt like an eternity scanning over every word in the folder, but couldn’t find even a trace of her.

‘This doesn’t make sense!’ He screamed in his head. ‘What’s going on with me?! Is my mind playing tricks on me?’ He thought about this for a while but only started to shake his head. ‘No, it felt too real. That ‘s a real memory. It’s one of the few things that have felt real since I’ve woken up.'

‘Am I crazy? Everything that I’m being told is the truth about me feels like a lie, but the one broken shred I get from a flower seems real? I need answers, but I don’t think I’m going to get them here.’ Blackstar thought, finally calming down to a certain extent. ‘For now, I’ll relax and try to just focus on fixing my body. Fixing my mind can come later. I’ll just watch TV like Stan said.’

Blackstar found the remote, and eventually figured out how to turn on the TV. Then he started to aimlessly flip through the channels. Nothing seemed to stand out to him, until he found something odd, and stopped as a theme song started to play.

My little pony

My little pony

Blackstar sat, entranced at what he was seeing. There were six colorful ponies starring in the show. He would probably call them cute, or maybe something more. He was unsure, so just shook the feeling off. What he didn’t shake off was the feeling that all of it was familiar. It felt crazy to him obviously, but it was there nonetheless. And when they spoke they said things like, “somepony” and other things. Blackstar’s mind started to race as soon as the credits started to roll.

‘What did I just watch, and why does it feel so familiar. Is it possible that… No! There’s no way. There is no possible way that I am from that show. That doesn’t even make any sense! I’m a person not a pony. So, why do I still feel like I am? What’s going on? Let’s review what I know. My name is supposed to be, [Your Name]. I’m almost positive that I died. I apparently have no real family, and have a broken memory of a girl named Lily, who was my best friend, or possibly something more. I just watched a show about talking ponies and have come up with the idea that I was one.’

Blackstar let out a deep sigh and looked at the flower that rested on the windowsill. “What am I going to do?” He asked. “Why am I so confused? Why can’t I find any answers that satisfy me? …And now I’m talking to a flower.” He let out another sigh. “I might as well check out that other letter now. It can’t confuse me anymore than I already I am.”

Blackstar gently picked up the letter and opened it.

Hey,

You probably don’t remember me, but I remember you. We only knew each other a short time but I thought you were a really nice guy once I got to know you. You seemed so lost and alone and I couldn’t help but want to help you. I’m sure this is sounding really crazy. We haven’t talked in almost three years. You were always being sent across the country so fast that by the time I learned your address you were already somewhere else.

I heard about your accident on the news, almost everyone has considering what you said about your foster father. I managed to get the address to the hospital you’re in and decided to write this letter. I just wrote this to ask if you’re okay. That probably sounds stupid seeing as you were run over, but I couldn’t think of anything better to say. I guess I could say I’m glad you’re still alive. Seeing your picture on the news reminded me that I’ve wanted to see you.

I hope you read this and write me back, if you ever need someone to talk to, that is. If you do write me back then send your new addresses along with the letters so we can keep in touch. If you don’t then I understand.

Sincerely,

Annabeth

Blackstar closed the letter and felt a little better. It helped him see that everything wasn’t as bad as he felt. There were plenty of people that wanted to help him, Stan and his family, and this Annabeth. Blackstar hit the call button to get the nurse and asked for a piece of paper and something to write with. She returned with what he wanted and started to write. Slowly but surely words started to form on the page.

Hey,

You’re right that I don’t remember you. Then again, I don’t remember much of anything. Funny thing that amnesia, taking your memories and leaving you confused over the most simple of questions. Thank you for your letter, you have no idea how much it helped me. I really could use someone to talk to. Everything the people here are telling me about myself sounds wrong. Is that how it is for everyone with amnesia?

I mean, my parents being dead and things that I supposedly said. It doesn’t feel like it really happened to me. There is some good news. I should only have to send you one letter with my address because I just got adopted. Thank you again for the letter, I hope I hear from you again soon. I’m supposed to be here for a month so I could really use some conversation, even if it’s in the form of letters.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]