• Published 19th Feb 2012
  • 3,790 Views, 218 Comments

Life, Death, and Ponies - thunderclap



2nd POV. You are depressed, and when you die, you are given a second chance at happieness

  • ...
21
 218
 3,790

Lullaby

The party had officially ended and ponies started to leave with yawns and tired looks on their faces. You didn’t feel tired though. If anything it was like someone had poked you with a cattle prod. A part of you was nervous about what was going to happen next. Things had never gone so smoothly for you when you were human. The only thing on your mind was the possibility of something going wrong. Just like it always had before.

‘I must be the most backwards thing ever.’ You thought while chewing on your upper lip, an old habit of yours that happened when you were lost in thought occasionally. 'Most people and ponies relish this kind of peace and happiness. But it scares me. I can’t help but feeling that something’s gonna happen. Am I going to say something stupid and make everyone think I’m strange? Or will someone find out about my past? If they did, would they call me a freak? A zombie? Or am I overthinking things as usual?’

It took you a while but you were able to bring your thoughts under control. ‘Maybe I shouldn’t waste my time worrying about these things. I should just relax, and let whatever happens happen.’ You looked across the emptying square and saw Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Big Macintosh.

You trotted over to them and the four of you made your way back to the farm.

“Hey Blackstar, how’d ya like the party?” Applejack asked.

“It’s safe to say that that was the greatest party I’ve ever been to.”

“That’s great!” Apple Bloom cheered. “And that song you played was really cool!”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac agreed.

“Glad to see you liked it. I always get a little nervous when it comes to performing.”

“Well, Ah didn’t really notice at all.” Applejack said.

“Did y’all see that spell Blackstar did?” Apple Bloom said with a bounce.

“That was you?” Applejack asked. “I just thought it was somethin’ Pinkie Pie cooked up.”

“Well, Apple Bloom and her friends practically… scratch that they did beg me to do a little magic for them.”

“Good t’hear that they didn’t start pestering ya with questions about cutie marks.” You all shared a laugh for a moment and little while later you stepped into the Apple Family’s home.

“Alright Apple Bloom we let ya stay up for the party now ya have t’go to bed.”

“Fine,” Apple Bloom sighed and then turned to you. “Blackstar, will you sing me a lullaby?”

“Well, I don’t see why not, but wouldn’t you rather have Applejack do that?”

“Please,” She pleaded with big doe eyes.

‘Oh God! It’s the puppy dog eyes!’ You screamed in your head. ‘That’s just not fair. Must resist the cuteness!’

“Sure,” you said with a weak grin.

‘You weak bastard,’ a part of you hissed.

Apple Bloom led you up to her room and you tucked her in carefully. You took a step back from the bed and she looked at you expectantly. You tried to think of a good song to sing, but only one comes to mind. You clear your throat and take a deep breath.

When the night, has come and the land is dark

And the moon is the only, light we’ll see

No I won’t be afraid

Oh I won’t be afraid

Just as long as, you stand, stand by me

So darlin’ darlin’ stand, by me

Oh stand by me

Oh stand, stand by me

If the sky, that we look upon, should tumble and fall

Or the mountains should crumble to the sea

I won’t cry, I won’t cry

No, I won’t shed a tear

Just as long as, you stand, stand by me

And darlin’ darlin’ stand, by me

Oh stand by me

Oh stand now, stand by me

You looked up at Apple Bloom saw she was fast asleep. She was lightly chewing her hoof as she mumbled something about a big brother. You felt a warm smile play across your lips and you walked over to her. You tousled her hair lightly and said, “Good night, Kiddo.”

You were about to leave the room when you noticed something on her dresser. You picked it up and realized it was the blueprints to some sort of clubhouse. You looked it over quickly and saw that it was perfect down to the last detail: the measurements, the schematics, and the list of materials. All of it would put to shame all but the most seasoned of architects.

‘I’ll be damned. Apple Bloom is amazing. If she actually designed and built this then why doesn’t she have her cutie mark?’ Then you remembered your own advice from yesterday. ‘Duh, she hasn’t realized it’s her talent. I might have to fix that, but for now there are stars to look at.’

You turned to leave the room but saw Applejack standing in the doorway. “Oh, hey Applejack,” you said. “How long have you been standing there?”

“’Bout halfway through the song,” she replied. “It was very sweet.”

“Thanks, my dad always used to sing that to my mom. It’s ‘their’ song.”

“Sounds like your pa really loves your ma,” Applejack said with a warm smile.

You hold back a grimace that tries to worm its way onto your face. Your mind starts to be flooded by images of the wreck that replaced your father after your mother’s death. “You have no idea.” You said with a forced smile. You continued out of the doorway but Applejack calls out to you.

“Where are you off to?”

“I was gonna stargaze on that hill again, you’re welcome to join me if you like.” You turn your head and wonder why you had said that. Looking up at the stars was something you did by yourself. It was one of the few times you felt you could let your thoughts run free without any fear of judgment although, you hadn’t really minded Applejack’s presence when you were stargazing last night.

“Sure, Ah guess Ah could come with you.” She said, making her way next to you.

A few moments later you made it to the hill with Applejack. You had arranged yourselves so the tops of your heads were touching, her faded brown Stetson next to her. You weren’t as nervous as last night when she was close which relieved you in a small way.

“Ah gotta ask,” Apple jack said after a few minutes. “What’s the deal with you an’ lookin’ at the stars? I mean, they’re nice an’ all, but to come out every night, there has to be a reason.”

“Well, I don’t know. It’s just, whenever I look up at the stars I feel like I’m staring at something that doesn’t change. Even when the seasons change and different constellations are out the others come back at some point. Something like that just puts my mind at ease.”

“Ah never really thought ‘bout it that way before.”

“Good, that means you’re not crazy.” You said with a chuckle.

“Ah don’t think yer crazy.”

“There are several professionals that would disagree with you, but thanks.” She laughs for a second or so and you join her.

“Anyway, what do ya think of Ponyville?”

“I think that it’s one of the craziest towns I’ve ever been to, and I couldn’t love it more.”

“Glad t’hear it.” She said, shifting a little. “So, yer a student of the princesses?”

“Did Twilight tell you that?”

“Yeah, and it’s makin’ me wonder, why’d ya ask fer a job here? With that, you coulda gotten just about any job ya wanted.”

“To be perfectly honest, I’m not entirely sure myself. I just kind of saw an opportunity to have a job.”

“Oh,” Applejack said, slightly disappointed.

“But, I’m glad I got the job.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, you and your family are all really amazing. Apple Bloom is one of the sweetest little kids I’ve ever known, Granny Smith is a bit odd but she’s like the fun grandma I never had, and Big Mac is quiet but I get the sense that he cares for you all more than anything. I think he looks at me every now and then to make sure I don’t try to do anything to one of you.”

“What do ya think a me?” Applejack asked hesitantly.

“I think you’re hardworking, a little prideful and very nice.” You said with a grin. Then you asked, “what about me, huh? What do you think of me?”

“Well, Ah think yer hardworkin’ too, yer kind, Apple Bloom loves ya, Granny thinks yer great too, ya seem t’be smart, and ya can play that violin all right.”

“I’m glad I have the Apple family stamp of approval. Say Applejack,” You said with an odd look on your face.

“Yeah Blackstar?”

“Last night you said that at one point you ran away to relatives in Manehattan and they forced you to change everything down to your voice, right?”

“Yeah, and?”

“I was wondering if you could still do it. You know, talk in that hoity-toity voice.”

“Why would ya want t’know somethin’ like that?” She asked, shocked.

“’Cause I think it would be funny.” You admit with a laugh.

“Even if Ah could, Ahm not gonna do it just so you can laugh.”

“Aw come on. Please, just once?”

“Ah said no.”

“Please,”

“No.”

“Come on.”

“Please sir, would you kindly stop?” Applejack covered her mouth with her hooves, realizing what she had done. You had to place a hoof over your own mouth to keep from laughing. Your eyes met and Applejack’s shocked expression quickly turned into a glare. “Yer not thinkin’ a laughin’, are ya?”

“No, no, no,” You lied, still holding in laughter. “That wasn’t even funny.”

“Well that’s good…”

“It was downright hilarious!” You said, a burst of laughter escaping from your throat. You finally stopped laughing after a minute or so before wiping a tear out of your eye.

“Are ya done?”

“Yeah, I’m done. Sorry Applejack but you have to admit that was a little funny.”

“You can think what ya like but Ah don’t think it was funny.”

“Hey, you laughed when I messed up apple bucking the first few times. The way I see it we’re even now.”

“Fine, if that’s the way yer gonna be.” Applejack said with a roll of her eyes. “It’s getting pretty late. We should rest up fer tomorrow.” She said getting up and fixing her Stetson back onto her head. As she did you accidentally got an up close look of her flank, among other parts. You even saw her cutie mark was a group of three apples. A deep blush settled in on your cheeks and you scrambled to your feet to keep from seeing more.

You’re heart never stopped pounding until you made it back to your room. You check the side pocket of your shoulder bag and saw that your iPod had survived the trip to Equestria. You turn it on and hope that music can calm your nerves. Sad but True, by: Metallica started playing and you let out a sigh of relief. Metal is exactly what you needed to counteract any awkward thoughts that could pop up. You pulled out your journal and started to write.

Hey me. life in Ponyville has to be one of the craziest things ever. I trespassed on someone… er, pony’s property and ended getting a job. I met Celestia’s other student, Twilight Sparkle. She seems really nice. We’re even going to study together. Yeah, I know I’m a nerd. I don’t need me to remind myself. I got a new violin from a mare called Rarity. It’s been years since I’ve played and it feels a little weird to just start up again, but it also feels kinda good.

I met a few other interesting ponies too. Rainbow Dash, who’s a bit brash and competitive, but other than that seems pretty cool, Pinkie Pie, she is pretty much the very definition of bubbly and optimistic and she threw a party for me which no one except my parents have done that for me before, Fluttershy, don’t let the name fool you she’s actually very shy. Except when she’s around the animals she takes care of, then she becomes a completely different pony, and she has a great singing voice. And last but not least is, Applejack, she’s really hardworking and above all dedicated to her family.

I also have good news and bad news. The good news is that I saw my first naked girl. The bad news is that it was a pony, Applejack to be specific. Writing this is starting to be uncomfortable, so I think I’ll stop for now.

You quickly slipped your journal back into your bag and forced yourself to get to sleep.