• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 847 Views, 18 Comments

Everharted - Camlio



Slightly inspired by the main character of the game malicious in which you are placed in the role of a vessel of souls.

  • ...
5
 18
 847

Chapter 2: Saving a Dream from a Nightmare

"The Vessel cannot truly die, only be shattered as a soul is an intangible thing. These thrones of restoration are here to serve as your soul's link to the world you now defend." - A lesson from the elders to the Vessel user.

The sound of hoofsteps as well as shouting tells you that you're getting close. The silver blade in your hands feeling lighter as you climbed the staircase after the five mares who'd you had agreed to help. In the back of your mind wishing that you'd be able to talk to them. If only to make it easier to converse and ask questions.

As you reach the top of the stairs you are greeted by a rather amazing sight, the six mares had been reunited and together if you'd heard correctly, become the wielders of one of the most powerful artifacts in the history of the world. You had to admit you were slightly jealous, though when you entered the room proper, the black Alicorn stared at you before her body became enraptured in a dazzling tornado of rainbow colored energy.

Though what happened after that, you can't say as it felt like your body was rending itself apart, and to the ponies who were watching. That's what happened as a burst of dark energy flew from the tornado and struck your chest a moment prior. Before your vision faded and the sound of breaking glass rang out for all to hear.

The purple mare rushed to your side as your body continued to crack and shatter as she lifted you and rushed you back to the chair the others found you in after the blue mare mentioned how you seemed to react to them after noticing them from the chair.


The Furnace of Souls is a place where the Vessel contains and combats malevolent presences that attempt to take the vessel for their own. This knowledge made itself known to you as you stood in a strange arena like structure, the symbol that was on the flank of the Black Alicorn marking the floor.

"That's rather odd." You think to yourself as you feel the comforting presence of the cloak on your form. Though it had reverted to it's standard form for reason's unknown. As you continued to look around the mark in the center of the arena bursts to life as what appeared to be armor surrounding a chunk of dark gas in the shape of an Alicorn emerged from it. It's form soon returning to the one you'd just seen defeated.

"So... this is where your soul is hiding~ Oh my, you're a rather new one aren't you?" The dark mare said with a sadistic glint in her eyes. "If I kill you here, I'll be able to take this body for my own, though that would be a waste of such potential... so why don't you just hand control over to me?" She asked obviously believing herself superior to you.

Your response was an easily understood one across any culture, a bolt of energy rushed forward from your right hand which was blocked by Nightmare calling up a shield of magic. Followed by the cloak turning into the sword and scarf once more and took up a stance which came strangely easily to you. The Vessel and Cloak working in tandem to help you fight off this darkness.


(Please play this song as I found it fitting for the fight. If anyone has a better one feel free to share.)

This caused Nightmare to snort and then sigh. "Well then, have it your way!" She called out before charging at you. She rushes you quickly her horn alight with magic hoping to impale you and then blast you with magic and barely misses you due to a last second dodge though this only seemed to anger her more. Though surely the peppering of magic projectiles to her flank didn't help in that regard.

You had quickly switched the cloak from the sword to the hood and fired several more projectiles after dodging her charge. It was easy to see that the bolts were rather weak but, traveled extremely fast and didn't drain much of the energy you felt coursing through your form. Though you couldn't let the weakness of your attacks stop you. Somehow you knew that you couldn't let her win. If she did something terrible would happen.

Nightmare spun towards you with hate in her eyes only to catch another of the Starbolts to the face. This caused her to growl and then release a massive stream of energy towards you with obvious intent to tear you asunder with this one strike and it seemed to do it's job quite well as your entire lower half was ripped from your form causing you to fall limp.

A voice can be heard from the arena around you. "Please don't die! We don't even know your name yet!" It was the voice of the purple unicorn you were going to help rescue. As if her voice triggered something your body began to surge with power and your lost legs regrew in a flash of light as you stood. Though there was something calling to you inside, begging to be released... and so you gave your mind to the power of the cloak.

Nightmare watched in startled awe as not only did the strange creature repair it's severed legs it's power only seemed to grow the hood on it's head flowing with a dangerous energy before covering the vessel's body in dazzling energy that made the very arena feel like it was bearing down on her.

As the Vessel began to act on your orders to unleash the power you knew it had you felt something change in the air of the battlefield. The mare across from you was trembling. Obviously she had thought this would be a simple fight, but the power you've awakened must frighten her, and with a raise of your hand thousands of much larger Starbolts rush at her like a swarm of angry hornets. Her cries of agony cause you to lower your hand.

"W-Why did you stop? Y-You could kill me here and now..." She panted out, the swarm of blasts had torn her left wing from it's socket, her body was covered in burns and scratches as well as multiple severely bleeding wounds. But, there was something about the fear in those eyes that spoke to you.

As you approached her you held up your left hand a massive starbolt forming and following your motions though staying just above her. Your right hand is extended to her and proceed to gently stroke her muzzle.

"W-Why... I-I tried to kill you?" She asked with tears running down her face, though it was obvious that after being proven the weaker her will to fight was robbed from her. "D-Do you think I could ever be a good pony? Like we were so long ago?" She asked looking to you as her form turned into that of a little filly, barely taller than your knee. The scars of the battle missing from her form.

As you pet her she seemed to begin to siphon into your body. Her energy becoming one with your own though the little filly before you continued to remain. As if something was triggered inside, you attempted to speak. "What's your name?" You asked surprised to hear the vessel's voice answer your brains demand for speech.

"I-I don't have one." She says weakly before curling up at your feet. "C-Can I stay here? I-I promise I won't do anything bad." As you nod she looks up. "Looks like you need to go back out there Mr. Spirit. I'll be here if you need me."

As if triggering something the filly waves at you before you fall backwards into a familiar chair and the arena peels away, leaving you to fall into sleep.

Author's Note:

Here's chapter 2, yes I know it's a bit weird but, I could see the Vessel being a force for good, since the Elements had already begun to revert Luna to her kinder state, it stands to reason that Nightmare would have begun the process as well. And when defeated by the Spirit of the Vessel the process would complete.


Vessel Upgrades Unlocked:
The gift of gab: Obtaining the Spirit of the Filly has granted the Vessel the ability to speak. Now you can finally do more than nod or shake your head!

Spirit of the Filly: After defeating Nightmare in the Furnace of souls you are now granted a portion of her amazing powers causing the starbolt hood to be advanced to level two and unlocking the Shield of Magi power for it.

Starbolt Hood level 2: Starbolts do more damage per hit and now the vessel can fire two at a time. The vessel has now also been blessed with the Shield of Magi power which works in the same manner as Nightmare's shield spell.