• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 847 Views, 18 Comments

Everharted - Camlio



Slightly inspired by the main character of the game malicious in which you are placed in the role of a vessel of souls.

  • ...
5
 18
 847

Chapter 1: The vessel awakes.

"To live life without your own body, name, or heart. Is that even truly living?" - The creator of the Vessel of Souls.

White, as far as the eye can see. That's what you awoke too, to find yourself sitting in a chair before blinking twice and suddenly seeing a rather odd sight. A strange horse like being and a man in a robe with a beard that reached the floor. As if noticing you the horse spoke first.

"Ah, the Soul's awake. How are you feeling, can you see me clearly?" From the voice it was female, a mare you believe recalling a bit of information. While some of your memory is clear the majority is blank, your name, where you lived, even your birthday is all a cloud of endless haze. Though you realize she's asked a question, and so you nod unable to put words to it for some reason.

"I see... I guess you can't speak can you?" She asked sounding almost dissapointed in that fact. "This will make it much harder for the soul to fit into our society than it already will be Elder." She says looking at the old man who seemed to have a rather elaborate collar.

"My apologies your highness, but this vessel was not completely finished when we had to answer your summons, and as such we were unable to give it voice, it also damaged the memories of the soul inside. It will be unable to recall most of it's past, and as such cannot return to it's former body." The old man turns to you and bows. "You have my most sincere apologies for this champion of the vessel. I only ask that you hold no grudges against those you were called upon to protect."

Your eyes open wide at the news. That means this new form is all you can look forward too? Your forever cut off from your past because of someone's mistake? The anger boils in you for a few moments until you see a strange fabric being lowered onto you a coak that feels lighter than air and strangely enough feels like another part of your body.

"We were unable to grant you the Cloak of Embers used in our world so instead the other elders and I created this cloak in it's stead using a feather from her highness to my left. This is the Celestial Star Cloak and it will be the source of your powers. Though sadly you will need to learn them through practice." The old man said as he stepped away. Though the horse spoke once more.

"I'm sorry to hear about your loss, though I will hope you will come to enjoy the new world you will enter with me." She said with a motherly smile. "My name is Princess Celestia of Equestria and I would now like to formally ask for your help, Champion of the Vessel. Will you defend my home and the lives that it holds dear?" The royal pony asks before bowing to you.

You honestly have to think about it. On the one hand from the tone of her voice she mustn't have had much of a choice in bringing you here, on the other her actions have robbed you of your home and past. Though after a few moments of consideration you nod and the cloak shifts around you before causing you to float from the chair you were held in before setting lightly on the ground in front of her. The cloak's hood flowing over your new form's deep crimson hair and frames your face heroically.

"Then on behalf of Equestria I thank you, Champion of the Vessel." She said as she places you back into your chair with a gentle sensation and a glow coming from her horn. "Now sleep, and when you awaken you shall be in your new home."


The sounds of voices reach your ears as you begin to wake from your slumber. As you open your eyes you find yourself sitting in another chair though it is definitely much less used than the one before if the cobwebs and cracks in the stonework of the seat are any indication. Though you push thoughts of why you'd appear here too aside for now, as you can't help but be curious as to why you're hearing voices. Voices that seem to be entering the room your chair occupies.

The sources of the voices were six mares of various colors and apparently races. As unlike the Princess from before none among them had horns and wings, seeming to either only possess one of the two or nothing to speak of. They seemed to be discussing something of great importance but, you were unable to make it out, from the fact you were unable to move you believe that something was wrong with your body or Vessel you believe it was called.

As they seemed to find what they were looking for a strange black pony who resembled the Princess from before appeared and smashed the stones vanishing with the Purple Unicorn who seemed to be their leader. With this your body seemed to be freed, though the movement caused the eyes of the other mares to quickly turn to you in shock.

"What's that thing? A creature Nightmare Moon brought to life to attack us?" The blue pegasus asked as she stared at you for a moment before you shook your head.

"Ya'll ain't gonna attack us?" An orange mare wearing a rather nice stetson asked in response to your head's motion, causing you to shake your head once more and then place a hand over your heart as if to say you have my word.

"U-Um... g-girls, I-I don't think it can talk..." A timid yellow pegasus said doing a rather poor job of hiding behind a white unicorn mare who spoke next.

"Well, if it can't talk than it can at least understand us... so darling, if you're not here to attack us what are you doing sitting in that... filthy chair?" She asked which caused you to stand and float like you did before the hood slowly lowering over your head again as a power flowed through you.

You felt the power boil into your hands and release from your fingers directly at the spot where the dark pony stood moments before. The sparkling bolts leaving visible marks in the stone where they struck.

"Oooh does that mean you're gonna fight the big queen meany, does it, does it, huh, huh, huh?" The pink mare said as she bounded into your face and knocked you to the ground. Though you did nod at her question.

As she released you it seems the others were holding a vote and were ready to tell you what they'd decided. "Well, thanks for the offer an all, but were gonna go ahead and rescue Twilight on our own. If'n you're serious about helping your more than welcome to follow." The orange mare said before leading the rest of the mares towards a large pink flash in an adjacent tower.

With nothing pinning you down and no better idea you follow after the group. Choosing to run instead of hover as it seemed to drain power you didn't wish to expend. A stray thought crossed your mind. "Even if I do help them find their friend, am I really strong enough to fight someone who is able to shatter a set of supposedly legendary artifacts of untold power?

From the bits of conversation you had picked up before these Elements of Harmony were supposedly the weapons that had been used to defeat this Nightmare Moon person before and with them destroyed these five would need all the help they could get to rescue their friend. As you thought this the cloak seemed to retreat into itself before turning into a large and seemingly sentient scarf while a glowing silver blade formed in your hands.

As you ran up the stairs wielding the blade you smirked and thought. "This'll do. Time to end a Nightmare."

Author's Note:

Abilities Gained: The Gift of Magic Lv. 1 - An ability granted to the vessel by Princess Celestia which will allow you to better interact with the world of Equestria. It is one of the three prime abilities given to you at the start of your journey. The vessel is still sadly lacking in experience and so your magic can only be described as, beginner... at best.

The Gift of Flight Lv. 1 - The Celestial Cloak can transform into a pair of wings that allow the vessel to glide and manipulate clouds, as well as walk on them like a Pegasus. Sadly, the three gifts cannot be used in tandem with each other until they are given the chance to develop. Not to mention that the weakness of the vessel's wings means that you can barely get any lift, though you are able to use them to Double Jump.

The Gift of Strength Lv. 1 - The third and final gift grants the vessel immense physical strength for short periods of time. As well as amazing endurance. This is the gift based upon the Earth Ponies whose common appearance defy's their inherent and often times impressive abilities.

Powers Unlocked: The Starbolt Hood Lv. 1 - This base form of the Celestial Cloak is attuned to the gift of Magic and allows the vessel to fire starbolts from it's hands. While not powerful, they are extremely fast hence the name.

The Wings of Pegasus Lv. 1 - The first form of the Celestial Cloak attuned to the gift of Flight causes the garment to shift into the form of deep crimson wings the same color as the vessel's hair, this form was acquired thanks to Princess Celestia's generous gift of Flight and is mainly used in tandem with it.

The Scarf of Gilgamesh Lv. 1 - The first form of the Celestial Cloak attuned to the gift of Strength causes the cloak to form into an enchanted scarf. The Vessel is able to use the scarf in order to manipulate heavy objects in the world around it as well as form multiple magical weapons for combat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here's the first chapter of my little story, seeing as the vessel in Malicious was supposed to be an avatar I decided to give the story a second person perspective. Though I would like to know if you think the Vessel should be male or female. As I will try to downplay it but, I would like an answer to that if possible.