• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 847 Views, 18 Comments

Everharted - Camlio



Slightly inspired by the main character of the game malicious in which you are placed in the role of a vessel of souls.

  • ...
5
 18
 847

Pre-Story: The Legend of The Vessel

An ancient book held in the royal archives, buried deep inside the restricted section and not opened for several thousand years, began to glow as if stating it's ancient tale needed to be told. The next morning, an alabaster alicorn hefted the book as she gazed upon it's ancient writing, which revealed itself to her as if explaining what she must do. But, before doing so, she had to respond to her most precious disciples’ concerns about her fallen sister. She traveled to the town of Ponyville, to prepare for the coming Summer Sun Celebration, and to reassure her subjects.

Celestia knew that she would need to take extra steps to make sure that her sister might be returned to her former state, and that the retelling of this old tale would hopefully not be needed. However, Celestia would need to learn exactly what her ponies would face and how best to prepare them.

And so she read…


A long, long, time ago, when the world was young and chaos and disharmony ran rampant, a beast of untold power came from a rift between dimensions to destroy all. The mother of the windigos, the hounds of hate and frost, was and is still known as The Malicious. The ponies of the still fledgeling Equestria allied themselves with the other nations in an attempt to stand up to the great beast. Sadly, none could match it’s might as it fed upon the bigotry and racial tension of the different tribes and species, turning them against each other like pawns in a game of chess.

The beast created twisted mockeries of all things known as Draconequus, and unleashed them upon the world. Each of these beings symbolized one of the darkest qualities of the heart that The Malicious needed to fuel it’s evil powers; Wrath, Terror, Infidelity, Agony, Pride, and Discord. These six sons of Chaos spread their evil magics across the land to fuel the power of their demonic mother.

But then… the old ones came, seven ancient sages versed in the magics of both light and dark who sealed the spirits of the spawn of Chaos into bodies of flesh, so that they may be struck down by their mightiest weapon. The Vessel of Souls, the spirit of a willing youth who gave himself to save all creation. Bound to a body that cannot die nor age, the Vessel has no limit to it’s growth.

The spirit of the world who called forth the Old Ones pleaded that they destroy The Malicious but, to not kill all the spawns of Chaos. For without them to keep the scattered races in their fragile alliances, they could not know true harmony. And with her words the Vessel amassed great power.

Two powers as old as time itself, the untold destructive power of Chaos used by The Malicious, became tempered and balanced by the light of a harmonious spirit, who gave herself to create a great tree that would stand forever in defense of the world.

And so it was that The Malicious was sealed away for all of time from entering the world of Equis, so long as the tree which was birthed in the sacrifice of the Matron of the World, Her Royal Highness, Faust the one true Queen of Equis, and mother of Celestia and Luna. Forever now she stands proud upon the spot where the creature’s eternal hatred lay buried.


As Celestia closed the book, she felt a tear run down her cheek. She had read this book countless times yet she always wished that it told of a way to reunite her and her sister with their long lost mother. While she sat, mourning her losses, she saw words appearing upon the once blank final page.

It awakens once more, a valiant spirit has giveth himself to serve a world not his own, may his life be not giveth in vain and may peace forever reign upon the land loved by both Moon and Sun. In the name of the Tree of Life, which borne the Trees of Harmony and Chaos.

With these words her peace was stolen as well as her feeling of self for several moments, until she came face to face with a creature known only as an Old One.

“I trust you didn’t bring me here for no reason, after what your war did to my family.” The saddened alicorn said with a slight tone of aggravation.

“Peace young Celestia, what we bring today is different, for the fruit that will free the spirit of the tree shall be borne of the tree in the heart of the world soon. We merely require that you bring into the world one who will safeguard the land where the tree is buried, till the time it has ripened.” The old man explained in a long forgotten tongue.

“And you expect me to…” Celestia angrily started before she heard a soft groaning from beside her, as a young man with soft blue hair seemed to be regaining consciousness. Her tone and expression softened as she gazed upon the creature. He was so young looking... she knew she had to help him, just like her mother had helped the last Vessel.

“Guess I’ve got no choice in this then do I?” The thought ran through her mind as she turned to the Vessel and spoke the first words in what was sure to be another grand tale in the Old One’s Libraries.

"Ah, the Soul's awake. How are you feeling, can you see me clearly?"

Author's Note:

Sorry for being so late with a new chapter, and as an apology have a bit more world building which explains how the Vessel's legend was told by Equestrians.