• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 3,444 Views, 38 Comments

Alternate Geoverse #3: Sharing The News - GeodesicDragon



What if Geo never met Twilight's family or Luna — and it came to telling them about their engagement?

  • ...
13
 38
 3,444

Damage Control

CHAPTER THREE

Damage Control

I came to slowly, wondering what the hell was going to happen to me next. I could make out Shining Armour standing in front of Twilight, who was standing in front of me defensively. Cadence was standing next to Twilight, and the three of them were having a very loud discussion with each other.

"Why did you do that?!" Twilight demanded. "Geo isn't the threat you're making him out to be, Shining Armour. In fact, the only threat I can see here is you!"

"Twilight's right, Shiny." Cadence added. "Why are you being such a jerk? Can't you see that Twilight and Geo are happy together?"

"Haven't you read your history books?" Shining Armour yelled back. "In case you've forgotten, his kind tried to destroy Equestria! Who's to say he isn't the scout of some kind?"

Twilight facehoofed.

"Shining, I love you a lot." She said. "But you can be a complete idiot at times. Geo isn't even related to the humans of Old Equestria, because he's from a completely different universe."

Shining Armour was about to interrupt her, but when she mentioned the different universe he stopped himself and blinked in surprise. While he was momentarily stunned, I stood up rubbing my sore head.

"See what happens when you jump to conclusions?" I said smugly. "You end up looking like a complete and total jackass."

"A different... universe?" Shining Armour said blankly. "But... how is that even possible?"

I sat down on the floor and smoothed my hair back before taking a deep breath.

"It's a long story." I said with a small laugh. "Are you sure you want to hear it?"

Shining Armour nodded, and so I began telling the story of my time in Equestria.

***

By the time I had finished, Shining Armour's facial expression had changed dramatically. Where once was anger, there was now regret. Where once his eyes burned with hate, they now avoided my own gaze.

"I... I had no idea." He said. "I just assumed that because you were a human, you were like... them."

"Well he's not." Twilight snapped. "I hope you see that now."

"I do." Shining Armour nodded and turned to face me. "And I can only apologise so many times. You clearly care about Twilight, and you've been through Tartarus itself to prove that. I can see now that you are the perfect stallion... man, even... for my little sister."

"Thanks." I replied. "I'm happy that I've managed to get you on my side. Unfortunately, I think your parents are going to take some more convincing to get used to the idea."

We all looked over at the still passed out Twilight Velvet and Night Light. Cadence and Shining Armour walked over and gently roused the two of them, by poking them with their horns. They sat up with a start and looked around the room, their eyes finally coming to rest on me. I grinned and waved at them.

"What happened?" Velvet asked. "The last thing I remember is Twilight telling us that the two of you were together and... oh, I remember now."

"You're engaged?!" Night Light shouted. "You never even told us you were dating him, Twilight, and all of a sudden you tell us that you're getting married?"

"I'm sorry, dad." Twilight replied. "But as enjoyable as our time together has been, it hasn't been without its downsides."

"Downsides?" Velvet parroted. "What do you mean by that."

I groaned, and found myself telling my story for the second time that evening. Twilight's parents listened with rapt attention and by the time I'd finished, they were deep in thought."

"Hmm..." Night Light eventually said. "I can see why you neglected to tell us. That can't have been easy on either of you."

"No it wasn't." I replied, hugging Twilight. "But the main thing is that I'm back now, and I am going to marry your daughter... with or without your consent if necessary."

"Without our consent?" Velvet queried.

"You heard me." I snapped. "As Shining Armour said earlier, Twilight and I have been through Tartarus just to be together. If I have to risk antagonising you so that I can be with the mare I love, then so be it. I will not let anypony, not even the Princesses themselves, get in the way of the happiness that we deserve."

All eyes were on me by the time I had finished my speech. It wasn't the one I had originally intended to give, but at that moment in time I couldn't care about that fact. All I cared about was getting across the point that I was going to marry Twilight.

Velvet and Night Light both turned away from me and began having a hushed conversation with each other, casting the occasional glance back towards me. Cadence and Shining Armour stood by idly while Twilight opted for jumping into my arms and holding me tight, as if to show her parents that she agreed with what I had said.

Eventually her parents turned back to face me, their stern expressions slowly giving way to smiles. They nodded once, the simple gesture telling us both what we wanted to hear.

"Anypony who can say such wonderful things about our daughter, and show that they are willing to do whatever it takes to make her happy..." Night Light said. "Well, I for one would be happy to call you my son-in-law."

"As would I." Velvet added. "You have literally crossed universes in order to be with Twilight, and that alone is a testament to the love the two of you share."

Twilight and I both beamed from ear to ear.

"Thanks, folks." I said. "That means a lot to us."

"It's our pleasure." Velvet said. "We know that the two of you are going to be very happy together. And maybe..." She giggled. "Maybe we can look forward to you informing us we're going to be grandparents in the future?"

"Moooooooooooooooooooooooooom!" Twilight whined, turning bright red. "It's a little bit early for that!"

"I'm sorry, Twilight." Velvet chuckled. "But a mare can dream, can't she? I think you'd make a great mother."

"Can we change the subject please?" Twilight begged. "We came here for a visit, so come on! Let's do something!"

With those words I was dragged onto the couch by Cadence and Velvet, whereupon both mares proceeded to interrogate me about what the wedding was going to be like.

***

Hours later, Twilight and I were finally able to leave the house. I had managed to persuade Velvet and Cadence that the wedding was going to be lovely, and that they would be the first to get their invites. After a round of goodbyes, and a pat on the shoulder from Shining Armour, the house finally disappeared from our sights.

"Well that was... eventful." I said. "I'll tell you one thing though, Twi, your brother has a mean right hook. I can see why they made him Captain of the Guard."

Twilight rolled her eyes.

"He's sorry for that, by the way." She replied. "Even if he didn't tell you to your face."

"I know." I chuckled. "But at least we have his support, as well as the support of your parents."

"And Cadence." Twilight added. "Don't forget about her."

"Of course." I smiled. Approaching a junction I went to turn right towards the station, but stopped when Twilight turned left instead. "Hey, Twi? The train station is this way."

"I know." She said. "But we need to make one last stop before we can go back to Ponyville. There are two more ponies who need to know the good news."

"Oh?" I queried. "And who might they be?"

"The Princesses of course." Twilight said cheerfully. "They're my friends as well, you know."

She continued walking while I remained motionless. It was quite a while before I finally ran to catch up with her on her approach to the magnificent castle which lay before us.

Author's Note:

Don't worry. There won't be any more conflict. It's happy times all round from this point forwards!