• Published 5th Jul 2013
  • 726 Views, 22 Comments

Mind of a Princess - AppleJared



When Twilight is crowned a princess, how does she coped with her new lifestyle; especially when tragedy strikes her life? Some battles are best fought alone.

  • ...
3
 22
 726

Running Away

Dear Diary,

Words simply cannot describe how I feel. Dad’s funeral service was supposed to be a beautiful service with a powerful speech that not only brought every soul present to tears, but also made them realize how much of a great stallion my dad was.

Instead, hundreds of ponies came to give their respects to my father, only to be left with hearing me fumble over my words and teeter on the brink of tears. I think I only got a few words out before Applejack had to help me off the stage.

After the service ended, I leapt into the air and flew. I stopped by my house to pick you up and to tell Spike that I would be gone for a while. I didn’t know where I was going, but I had to leave. I couldn’t stay anywhere near Ponyville or Canterlot any longer than the service would allow. So through my misty eyes and the near-setting sun, I headed towards the mountains near Ponyville. I flew as fast as my wings would allow in the opposite direction of home. My wings got tired, but I continued through the pain; I could still feel the haunting of home even at this distance. Half an hour into my flight, I realized exactly where I needed to go.

In a book I read many years ago, there was a legend of a “Temple of the Broken” in the heart of the Equestrian Peaks. The mountains there are the highest in the lands, but the story said that those who needed it would find it there. Supposedly, one of Cheerilee’s ancestors made the journey to the temple and found it.

After hours of searching for that place of lore, I felt drawn to a specific mountain up ahead. As I neared the summit of the mountain, I saw what seemed to be some kind of shack. I landed next to the cabin, if you could even call it that, and the top of the door read: “Burdened souls may enter.” Thinking I got the wrong mountain, I went inside to see if it was occupied. Inside the abode was nothing more than a very old bed, a table with one chair, and a few candles. A fireplace was set at the far end of the cabin, and inscribed on the mantle were the words “Temple of the Broken.”

As I write this, I am exhausted from the day’s events; even so, I think I’ll be crying myself to sleep. I still miss my dad so much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up to the sun’s rays invading the windows near the bed. There were no clocks around, but I would guess it was about 9 am. I went outside to the freezing cold, and found it had snowed overnight. Considering the current season, and the height of this mountain, I figured the cold would be relentless throughout my stay. Speaking of stay, I should have brought that book about this “temple”. I forgot what it said happens here, or what I am supposed to do. I wondered how long I would stay, but I needed to be away for at least a few days before I could face reality again.

Before I started this entry, I thought about dad again. I thought about all the people there at his service that I didn’t know. All those people that probably knew my dad better than I did. I wonder if I’ll ever know any more about him. I want to thank him for all the things he did for me, but now it’s too late.

It doesn’t take much for me to cry these days.

I think I’ll go find some wood for the fireplace.

Author's Note:

That's right folks, editor is back on the story. Be ready for more soon.
Because I'm back. Back in black. ;)

This is just a little taste to get those who already read the beginning chapters back into the swing of things.

As I put into the story description: if you fave, please upvote. I'd really appreciate that.