• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 11,534 Views, 1,273 Comments

The Steadfast Sky - Greytercakes



Celestia, Luna, and Discord grow into their godhood by unearthing the Elements of Harmony. EqD 6 Stars.

  • ...
11
 1,273
 11,534

PreviousChapters
LXXVII : The Open Sky

The Open Sky
The Grey Potter
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11495/The-Steadfast-Sky
http://cosmicponyfiction.tumblr.com

~Luna~

We all stopped singing at the same time. Our Element’s light faded. I felt a sharp pang in my chest. Discord and Celestia both panted for breath. Magic had spun into a crown atop Discord’s head, the same shape and design as our own crowns.

I held on to both of them as we slowly drifted towards the ground. Ponies and griffins woke up all around us, in a daze. Some were fighting free of light debris. Some surprised ponies were making their ways down from treetops, caught by the more aware unicorns and Pegasi whenever they fell.

We settled on the lip of Canterbury Crater, landing on a pile of broken wooden debris. I guess we couldn’t fix everything. Or maybe this stuff was so reliant on the black stone, that when it rebuilt, it immediately collapsed. I certainly didn’t know, even if I was helping cast the spell.

Celestia tried to push the debris away, but her magic could barely cover her horn, let alone shove anything. My whole body was starting to ache, but I helped her anyway. Together, we shaved our own place among the wreckage, and collapsed into the dirt.

We waited for our breathing to slow. Griffins took off over our heads, followed by spell bursts and angry Pegasus thunderheads. Ponies were sobbing, cheering, fighting, embracing, just reacting all around us. I don’t think any of us were here, hiding in the piles of broken boards.

Finally, Celestia regained enough of her breath to say something.

“We missed a spot.”

Discord closed his eyes and nodded.

“Funny,” I said, “The only place the smooze could hide was right under us.”

We all knew, instinctively. A remnant of our shared spell. The crater of Canterbury still held a sizeable portion of the smooze. We all knew it contained every last Draconequus, all trapped in that dark, death-like trance.

“I’m sorry,” Discord mumbled, “That was me. I couldn’t decide, then and there. Thought maybe we should set aside the problem, until we’ve thought it over a bit more.”

Celestia grunted, “Do you really think we should just leave it down there?”

“Save it, the both of you,” I said. “You’re both too tired to fight, and I’m too tired to tell you both to shut up.”

“Okay,” Celestia wheezed. “That’s fair.”

“Yeah,” Discord huffed, “Sure.”

We again, fell silent. There was nothing more to be said. We all knew we had done our best. The country wasn’t fixed, not totally. Getting rid of the smooze hadn’t taken care of the griffins. It hadn’t undone the decades of terror. And it wouldn’t stop another regime from rising in its place, if we weren’t careful.

But for now, I think we all deserved a little lie in the dirt, and some time to think to ourselves.

“We’ve got a lot to do,” I joked.

“Yeah,” Celestia mumbled, “And you know what?”

“What,” Discord asked.

“I think we can handle it,” she said. “It won’t be easy… but it won’t be like, whole-country-flooded-with-smooze crazy either. You know?”

Discord tiredly slapped Celestia’s side. “Don’t jinx it.”

She smiled and stuck out her tongue.

“We’re not perfect, but we’re pretty good, right?”

I nodded, “Damn good.”

“Here here!” Discord called, weakly pumping as fist into the air.

“So. Until the perfect six friends are found, let’s do our very best,” Celestia said, smiling warmly. “Let’s protect this country until the True Six are found.”

She pumped her hoof forward, smiling broadly at the both of us. I nodded brightly, and shoved my own hoof forward, clopping it against hers. Discord’s smile was more exhausted than overjoyed, but his hand slapped on top of our hooves.

“Life. Good living.” he said, clasping both of our hooves in his. “Now what the heck are you talking about, Celestia?”

Smiling under the baby-blue sky and a the newly risen sun, we chatted for hours in the wreckage of Canterbury, just three very special friends.

~Two Days, Celestia~

I approached the Griffin camp by air. It wasn't much of a camp, to be fair. The griffins had not bothered building the clouds into any kind of serviceable building. Just lashed the material together into a sort of floating cavern, or a gigantic fluffy tent.

Two Pegasi is full golden armor flanked me on both sides. This was far better than the ostentatious cart, in my opinion. I had my golden shoes back on my feet, and my hair was properly coiffed and cleaned. I was a Princess again, yes. But did I have to be pulled around in some golden wagon? And by former slaves? It seemed more than a little hypocritical.

We changed formation. One Pegasus ahead, and the other behind. They landed on the little cloud flotilla, and in flash they already had their spears in hand. I wouldn’t be surprised if they attacked at the slightest misplaced glance. Bad blood was practically boiling in the air. The griffins who had noticed my approach were already jeering, calling out their colorful insults and cackling like mad.

“HEY FEATHERHEADS!” One of my guards yelled. “We all gonna have the nicest talk ever with Big Birdie Leader Head, OR WE ALL GONNA CHOP ALL THE HEADS OFF YOU ALL.”

I balked. “Flea!”

She turned to me. she wasn’t angry, like I assumed, but confused.

I asserted, “That’s not what we agreed on saying!”

“Ya gotta know how to talkin’ to them, miss Princess,” she explained, “Being polite just makes them-all ignore ya.”

“It’s true ma’am,” my other guard, Munch, grunted, “They like ‘em a loud bark.”

“Oh, I know,” I said, “I am well prepared.”

“Who the RUTTING HELL?!”

One griffin waded forward, through the crowds of refugees. He was physically large, wearing a thick, silver armor that was dented and scratched all up and down its length. His talons were massive, and made to look larger by black silver caps, sharpened to a razor point.

One of those talons sliced through the air, almost clawing at me as the griffin approached. “What’s a mixed-breed, dirt-rutting, fatty filly doing on our rutting cloud?!”

“Well I …”

“WHAT was that, dirt-rutter?!” One of his gnarled claws wrapped around the side of his neck, where an ear would be. “SPEAK UP! You’re simpering too softly, squishy filly!”

I cleared my throat. Would I need to use a spell to make myself bigger? would that help or hurt?

To heck with it. I straightened myself out.

“I’ve come to tell you,” I took a deep breath and a step closer, “To GET OUT OF MY RUTTIN’ COUNTRY, you BLITHERING, FEATHER-BRAINED, BRUTE!”

The old griffin took a quick step back, and smiled like he was holding in a laugh. All around us, griffins cackled and hooted menacingly. More slurs were shouted my way. Threats, maybe. It was a little hard to tell.

“Oh. I’m so sorry, little miss skarn,” the massive griffin chortled. “What’s your name? Sparkle Pickle? Glimmer Gutter?”

“It’s PRINCESS Celestia,” I asserted, “Or if that’s too fancy for you, you may call me Goddess of Harmony.”

“Goddess of the dirt-rutters, eh?” he nodded mockingly, “Welcome to our crappy slice of sky, so glad to be in your magnanimous presence, Grand Employer. My name be Elfric the Godkiller, Feaster of Godguts, Ripper of—”

“Yes, yes, I got it,” I huffed, “Now, let me clear something up for your teeny, tiny brain. I am not your Grand Employer. I am the person who killed the last Grand Employer. His expenditures were outrageous and frankly, no longer needed.”

I waved a leg at the open sky, as if to make my point. I secretly hoped that I was putting just enough mocking disdain into every word. I had reason to believe that I was pretty good at that. I suppose now was as good a test as any. Trying to intimidate a man, a griffin at that, nearly twice my size?

I suppose there might have been a time where I would have been afraid.

But not any longer.

“Killed, you say?!” His eyebrows raised in mocking dismay. “An itty-bitty baby filly like you?”

“Oh yes. you saw, didn’t you? That one time when I filled the country with righteous, holy fire, burning away a country’s worth of smooze in a single, fell swoop. Yeah, I also killed that stallion guy in the blaze.” I buffed my hoofshoe casually on my chest, looking passively into the gleam. “Funny thing, I also spared the lives of all the griffins in that same fire. Oh, but maybe that was a mistake.”

My eyes shot up to Elfric’s locking into a deathly glare.

“Do you think this error needs rectifying, Godkiller?”

He stared down at me, impassive. Our eyes remained locked. Fool. He didn’t know that I no longer needed to blink.

And then, he laughed.

“Arright, I get the message!” Elfric bellowed. He spun round, and shouted to his griffin army, “HEY, ALL YOU CLOUD-RUTTERS, YOU HEARD THE LADY! OUR EMPLOYMENT’S OVER. WE GOTTA CLEAR THE HELL OUT!”

~Two Weeks, Discord~

Six Elements could easily keep the deathly chill of the smooze away and off the skin. Could make it warm, even. Two Elements, it was hard enough to keep myself moving. It was damn near impossible to move with a load.

But I did it. I pulled myself up the bedrock wall, both hands clutched around his paw. I could see the light above me. If I could just get my head above the writhing material—!

The tip of my snout hit warm air. I pulled harder. My head broke the surface and I gasped for breath. The Element of Magic’s glow returned, and the bright red heat quickly drove the smooze from my face.

“Holy crap, Discord!” someone shouted.

Crusher plodded up to me, looking panicked. He was the only other Draconequus I could find from my my litter. From the few mumbled exchanges, the only one left.

“Discord, why in eternal life did you stay down so long?!” he squealed, dancing around the Smooze’s shore. “Some of the lil kids are getting hungry, but I didn’t want to go hunting and leave them all alone next to a death pit…!”

I nodded. Tried to form words, but all that came out was babble. I tightened my grip around the paw in my grasp, and tugged.

“Crusher…”

He nearly jumped out of his skin, “Yes, boss?!”

“Help me…”

“Oh, right!” the words popped nervously out of his mouth. “Another kid? Shouldn’t be too much more. The others don’t know much about the litter-mates getting special training. Who knows which of em are alive or dead, right?” He laughed, a low chuckle that almost seemed to conceal a sob. “So which one have you got this time?”

I yanked my numb hands above the surface of the rippling smooze, kept at by the glow of my Elements. With a few hesitant steps back, the forearm broke the surface, and slipped onto shore as I collapsed.

Discord,” Crusher hissed. His hands slapped onto my frozen shoulders, gripping them tightly, “Did you go crazy down there?! An adult?! You’re bringing an adult up!? you said you’d let them all rot! We can’t bring one up… they’ll kill us all!”

Crusher’s already-chilling hands scrambled for the paw, trying to heave it back into the rippling lake of smooze.

No,” I growled. Now it was my turn to grab Crusher’s wrist. “This one’s different.”

“There’s no such thing,” Crusher whispered, terrified, “No such thing!”

“There is,” I asserted, “Now help me get him out.”

It took some encouragement, but eventually Crusher came around. Together, we both struggled to drag out the adult. We pulled one arm at first, before I ducked back under and grabbed the other. with both of us pulling, the twisted horns broke the surface. Then the narrow, jet-black head I knew and recognized.

“Ruin,” I mumbled, unable to help myself. “Thank sun and moon you’re still alive.”

“The magic tutor?” Crusher asked, pulling at Ruin’s paw. “Sure I’ve never heard really bad stories about him. Never ate a kid or anything. But he’s not exactly kid-friendly, either… you know?”

“He’s the best damn Draconequus I’ve ever met,” I said back. “The very best one.”

“Well… if you say so, boss.”

I don’t know how long it took. We couldn’t pull Ruin out ourselves. Eventually, once his front half had been pulled out, I had to whip up an illusion to pull him the rest of the way. But we saved him. We pulled him free of the smooze, and a little ways up the slope back out of the crater.

“So uh,” Crusher said, “I’m going to go catch, uh, something for the littlier kids. You cool with that?”

I nodded mutely, staring down at Ruin’s sleeping head. “Long as it isn’t pony.”

“Aw man, cut me a break here! How else am I supposed to feed—?!”

I shot Crusher a glare. His jaws snapped shut.

“I mean,” he continued, “Sure thing, Discord. You’re the boss.”

Crusher scampered the rest of the way up the crater, flying over the sheer bedrock and dropping past the dirt lip. I watched him go. And as soon as I was sure he was gone, I threw my arms around Ruin’s neck and hugged him tightly.

I spent a long time like that, arms around his neck, Elements warming his heart. The children had been easy. Fifteen minutes in my arms, and they woke up, sniffling and crying for their nannies. Crusher had been half an hour, and even when he opened his eyes, the first thing out of his mouth was ‘I wish I was dead.’

Ruin has decades of darkness built up inside of him. It would take that much longer to rouse him. Over an hour later, the moon had risen, and he finally stirred.

He tried to lift a paw, and failed. His eyes cracked open tiredly, and looked slowly around. I don’t even think he noticed me clinging to him, if his skin was still as numb as it felt cold.

He didn’t say anything for a long time. He simply laid there, flexing and unflexing his fingers quietly. His one remaining wing unfurled quietly, and he gave it an experimental flap. He moved on arm, and shifted his body only his stomach. Only then did he look down at me, at the one point of light in the entire, smooze-filled crater.

He said, “Discord.” A statement, not a question.

I nodded into his fur anyway, quietly crying into his neck.

~æ~

I led Ruin up a long ramp in the crater wall. The ramp didn’t exist before, of course. I built it ahead of us, on account of Ruin’s flightless body. He followed me slowly, watching me in silence. I let him have his space, for now. There wasn’t really much I wanted to say to him anyway.

We were halfway up the wall when he finally asked a question in his low, grumbling voice:

“Why?”

“Ha” I laughed weakly, “Like I’d leave you to die down there.”

He said, “You should have.”

“Geez,” I huffed, “Both you and Crusher. First thing out of your mouths is ‘I’m not dead? Shit!’”

Ruin fell silent, deciding to just watch me carefully for a few more minutes before speaking again.

“Then,” he grumbled, “I am revived for sentimental reasons only.”

“Nope, not really,” I replied. “I’ve dug up a load of kids out of that smooze hole. None are much older than five. I think most of them are under two years old.”

“What exactly is it that you intend?” Ruin asked.

“I want to give them a chance, is all,” I said plainly. Cheerfully, even. “They’re just kids. They can grow up better this way! Without being terrified for their lives. Or thinking they have to act tough and kill loads. Or kill each other for the right to just be alive…” I took a deep breath, then spun on my old mentor. “And I think you’re the best candidate to raise them. Or at least, make sure they’re protected while they figure things out for themselves.”

Ruin was silent once more. We watched each other as we ascended, nearly to the top of the massive crater.

“You’d have to leave the country,” I offered, “Or just agree to not go near pony lands. But I’ve worked it all out. You, and the kids, you all have a second chance, Ruin! A chance to show that Draconequus are more than chaos. More than death.”

We arrived at the top. About a dozen of the littliest kids tried gnawing on chunks of meat with their dull little milk teeth. From the looks of the hooves, and the tusks some children chewed on, Crusher had taken down at what seemed to be a boar. Crusher himself was lying on his side, one arm acting as a pillow, and the other wrapped tightly around his middle.

For a bizarre moment, I felt like I was looking at a younger version of myself.

Then Ruin rose over the lip of the crater, and the moment was lost. The closest kid dropped his meaty chunk in shock, and scampered away, squealing. The rest of the kids noticed the disturbance, and within thirty seconds, nearly every kid was running around screaming and squealing for their lives.

I quickly threw a wall around the little campsite, so no kids would get lost in the woods or fall down the smooze pit. But that only seemed to panic them more. Several crawled over and ducked around Crusher, the largest thing around, besides Ruin himself. Crusher grunted and rolled over to look at me, toppling three little kids who had attempted to hide in his wings.

Crusher’s look said it all. No words necessary.

His eyes said, ‘What did you expect?’

I looked up at Ruin. He looked back down at me, sighing long and low.

“Do I have a choice?” he asked.

“If you want to just go and do your own thing, then I won’t stop you,” I said. “I’m not going to toss you back into the pit. I’ll find a way to take care of these kids myself. Somehow.”

For the last time, Ruin gave me a long, judging look. But I stood tall underneath it. I was not yet an adult myself, but he needed to know that I was no kid either.

I was stronger now.

Finally, Ruin gave me a small nod. He looked up, and sauntered towards the boar carcass. He picked it up with one massive paw. The kids would be expecting him to tear into it, take the entire kill for himself.

But instead, Ruin carefully stepped towards Crusher. He dropped low, and pushed the boar towards Crusher. The kids stared at it, squeaking in baby talk, or mumbling whatever confused little words they knew.

“I am going to go hunting for myself, child,” he said down to Crusher, “Will you attend to the little ones while I am away?”

Crusher nodded carefully up at Ruin, just once. Ruin returned the gesture, just as distant and careful. And, with a single glance my way, Ruin hefted himself over my illusory wall, and dropped down the other side, sauntering into the night.

~Two Months, Luna~

How many things have changed in two months?

Well, at first we weren’t sure. What would become of the smooze’s ash. Was it petrichor, converted back into the original material? Would it stay that way, or rot back into smooze? The statues of the first Gods vanished around the same time as we burned everything. Maybe the dust was their remains? Did that mean it would it trigger a number of wierd crazy events that we’d have to dash around the country and solve?

I think me and Discord were hoping for the last one. Celestia was so done with adventure though. She’s taken to this life really well. I guess I’m glad for her.

It was none of the above, in the end. It seems like it was a mix of carbon matter and petrichor crystals. It quickly dissolved in the first natural rain, and from the sounds of it, it’s made the ground a tad bit more fertile!

Which is good. Seems like the lack of sun was really cutting down on the crop yields. The farmer’s fields really needed a good boost to get started again.

The economy’s a mess, but of course we knew that much would happen. The griffins leaving was all good and nice, but their years of service had drained the treasury near dry. Some of that went back into Equestrian hands, but they took LOADS of it with them, wherever they’re going next. And with the crystal mines under canterlot near dry, we’re going to be in a bit of an economic bind for a few years. It’ll be centuries before new crystals regrow in their place! I don’t think Equestria can wait that long for an economic boost!

So we’re going to need to find a new source of revenue for the country. A good produce yield will help for a few years, but after that…

A knock on my door nearly makes me drop my pen. I twist around from the volume, and call, “Come in!”

Discord pushes the door open with his shoulder. Bangles clink and jitter around his ankles, both Magic and Kindness looking as shiny and new as ever. He smiles up at me. I smile back as he saunters in.

“What’re you writing?” he asks.

“Illuminators told me to record some of my thoughts on our situation!” I lifted up the book, and showed Discord the spine.

History of Equestria, The Second Age, Volume One,” he reads aloud, “Sounds legit.”

“Oh yes,” I reply, “Quite legit! They actually want my opinion on, well, whatever this is. History in the making?”

“Sounds about right,” Discord nodded. “Maybe I’ll jot a few notes after you’re done…”

He hoisted himself up to look at the book. But he had that kind of a weird grin about him! Before I knew it, a kiss was planted on my lips and gone in a flash. Only grin remained.

I kissed him in the ear as punishment.

“Dork!” I chided. He only smiled.

“So anyway,” he said, leaning on my desk with that same warm smile. “I didn’t actually come in here to fool around.”

“However,” I retorted, “It seems like that’s exactly what you’re doing.”

“Not removing the possibility,” he said with a wave, “But I actually came in here to fetch you for Celestia. She wants to discuss the municipal weather plan again.”

“Oh, good!” I said, slapping the book closed. “I can bring up the reinstigation of the seasons again. I’ve got research this time, you know. Seasons are great for the soil. Plus! Crop rotation! Also great for the soil!”

Discord suddenly burst out laughing, “Life! You are seriously excited about freaking soil quality.”

“Just thinking of the country here, Discord!”

“Yeah, yeah,” he chuckled, “You’re both taking to bureaucratic life pretty well, though.”

“Eh?” I shrugged. Then, as Discord turned away, I slung my arms around his middle and gave him a great big hug.

I said, “I’m just glad to have things be wonderful again. Nice, peaceful… Hard work, but quiet. You know?”

He nodded. His wings brushed again my mane. he whispered, “Plenty of time just for us.”

I kissed him again. Right between his mismatched wings.

“Plenty.”

~Ø~

Dear Princess Celestia,

Please, remember this. All of this.

Right now you feel hurt. Betrayed. They couldn’t buck up and survive without each other. Once Discord broke down, you knew it was only a matter of time until your sister fell to her own nightmare. And think about it, seven hundred and fifty was a good number of years for Discord. A century more for Luna was the best you could have hoped for.

I know what you did when Discord fell. You didn’t want to hope for the best. You just wanted to move on, and forced Luna to move on along with you. Discord was dead, and the monster he left behind committed unforgivable crimes against all of reality. Not just Equestria. Everypony, all across the world.

And now you’re thinking that you want to throw Luna down as well. Hate and revile her crimes just as you scorned Discord’s. I know you’re already planning on celebrating her defeat, just as you celebrated Discord’s.

How could you?

She was your sister, and you’re already planning on feeding padlum to the masses. Your people! You just want to write her off.

Are you afraid of crying? I know you are. You think feeling sad is going to make you fall too. I heard that declaration, you know. I heard you declaring that you’d never feel again, be it joy or sorrow. You think that’s going to stop the nightmares within you?

Well.

Good luck, I guess. Maybe the “perfect friends” can’t be found until all three of us fall to our own nightmares.

But that’s not why you started writing this letter, is it?

You wanted to tell yourself to remember.

Everything.

Remember all the good times. Remember when you escaped Canterbury the first time, and the joy you felt at seeing the sky, at seeing the forest for the first time. Remember buying your first cloaks, so Discord would feel safer in the city. Remember how concerned you were when you found Discord trapped in that Stringhalt zoo. Remember how happy Luna was when you reunited at the Sanitarium. Remember your first flight together, and the miserable trip that united you all afterwards.

Remember how much fun you, Luna, and Discord had playing unicorn scientists. Remember how happy Discord and Luna were when they were young, and in love.

Please. Let that be how you remember your friends.

Don’t just think of their crimes. Don’t scorn them for falling to nightmares. Don’t remember them at their worst. Don’t even remember them during those distant, cold years in the castle.

Remember them when they were the best parts of your life.

Remember when they were your very best friend, and your beautiful little sister.

Yours Truly,

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 86 )

“Here here!” Discord called, weakly pumping as fist into the air.

This should probably be

“Hear hear!” Discord called, weakly pumping his fist into the air.

So, that has been a hell of a ride. Thanks for that, by the way. It has been really swell.
:heart: Great story, great story. I'm only now realising how intoxicating this one has been. Wow.
Have a [insert item signifying gratitude and approval here], you have deserved it.

I will now endeavour to create a journey at least half as great as this, thank you

I just wanted to say thanks for finishing this story, even if you are not interested anymore in this setting ;)

Comment posted by Sixpack deleted May 30th, 2014

Lunacord, preety rare I'd say, never heard of that one. I like it it!:trollestia:

Oh yeah, the story is cool.:rainbowderp:

The warm fuzzies are hugging me right now. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :twilightblush: I first read Fostering Intelligence, then found there to be so much more to the story here on Steadfast. Even if it doesn't perfectly match current canon, it's amazingly accurate considering how far back the story was started. More than two years and about 350,000 words later, we've reached the end. I'm no good at critique, so I'll just end with a thank you. :scootangel:

...Huh. Feels a little strange to think that this story is over. All seemed to happen so fast.

Very, very good story, anyway. Excellently written and with some truly lovable characters. Great job.

Ahhh, I like that ending. They did it; they saved everyone! And, of course, we know that their story is ultimately a happy ending, even after that letter is written. Hooray!

Excellent job. This story has has been quite a wild ride, and I thank you for giving me the chance to go on it.

Ciao!:pinkiesmile:

I'm quite happy that I overlooked option #4: smooze doesn't actually absorb victims, just kinda suspends them. Admittedly it reacted differently to the first alicorns, but by that point they're assumed to be almost entirely petrichor anyways, and already fallen to despair. I guess Discord is lucky that Celestia didn't throw his statue into the smooze pit!

And then there was no more. :fluttershysad: What a long, strange trip it's been - thank you for the ride! As Discord might say, "Au-revoir, et merci pour toutes les poissons!"

Over? :fluttershysad:
...Wow. What a way to end. :fluttercry:

Wow just wow. That ending. That beautiful ending.

*sighs* Wow, I can't believe it's actually over. What a ride this as been. This has been such an amazing story, thank you for finishing it. I do feel that aspects of the last few chapters were rather rushed, but it's forgivable. Seeing the three of them come together and restore Equestria anew was fantastic. And to top it all of, the letter at the end was both heart breaking, touching and a reminder of better days to come (once the show starts).

I's of liked to have known a bit more regarding the old gods vanishing, but, muh, not that important over all I suppose. In a few months time, I think I'll do a big read through of the fic again just so I can enjoy it all over again and catch things I missed the first time. You did an amazing job on this fic and it can't help but get me thinking of what kind of original work you could put together.

Thank you for this fic and all the hard, great work you put into it.

And so it ends. Cheers! A wonderful, exciting ride has this story has been. I'm glad to have been here for all of this. Thank You.

Bravo, what a wonderful ending to the fic that got me started reading them in the first place. When I read that it was complete, I felt a little bummed, but work like yours inspires me to try and write something even half as awesomazingtasticpic as this story. I loved watching as the story unfolded, and am glad I read such a beautiful tale. Good luck in all future endeavors:pinkiehappy:

It's... over?

I don't know what to feel anymore.

But I do know one thing:

THIS STORY IS AWESOME

Ended with a bang. It was a bittersweet ending, and I loved every second. I salute you, good sir.

4472097
Maybe I should put up a warning?
CAUTION: This story is a a roller coaster. It will melt your heart. It'll knock your jaw off. Also, it'll make you drunk? What kind of weird roller coaster is this???? :pinkiegasp:

4472207
Yessss! Writing is a fun hobby and you should totally start! It's not easy, but if you keep at it, it can be wonderfully rewarding :scootangel:

4472236
Sixpack. Thank you so, so much for sticking with this story. Even when it updated on the dumbest schedule, you keep popping up and leaving comments. Thank you so, so much for your support. :rainbowkiss:

4472331
I've found a few pieces of fanart here and there. And by a few, I mean I have a folder with literally 16 pieces in it, seven of which are VERY OBVIOUSLY romantic in nature, one of which is a HILARIOUS, YET EXPLICIT HUMANIZED COMIC.

Oh, and, the compliment is nice too :rainbowlaugh:

4472441
Most of the discrepancies between Steadfast and Fostering come from my MIGHTY NEED to make Fostering into a standalone work. There are plenty of times that Discord indirectly references Fostering scenes, so... there we go!

And also, you are very welcome :twilightsmile:

4472454
I was a little worried that it went by too fast. :applejackunsure: But padding out the contents didn't help very much. Just diluted the good parts into a weird, rambling slog. I'm glad it still turned out good in the end!


4472473
When I started writing, it was right after the start of the second season... and everybody who read the Steadfast could only freak out about how sad the ending was going to be. :fluttershysad: It makes me so, so happy to have Discord free in this season. In my headcanon, he still feels "under the influence of his nightmares" but... doing fine. Under control.

Ciao!

4472638
It's implied by Four-Clover in The Fallen Sky that the statues were also absorbed and incorporated by the smooze. BUT I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE. :rainbowwild:

You're welcome for the ride, and thank you right back for reading!

4472744
Oh man, I really hope those are happy tears, and not super depressed tears of ultimate despair. :rainbowderp:
*hugs anyway!*

4472931
NOICE! :rainbowkiss:
Thank you do much for reading all this time, even when the schedule went completely whack bananas! It's always nice to see a regularly commenting fan~!
Hoofbump, dearest FancyFan! /)

That was a really great story, bittersweet that it's over, but I'm very satisfied with the ending. It didn't feel deus ex because you'd been building up to it the whole story, and I loved it. And, was your cover pic of the ending this whole time with the sun and all?

Dang...heck of an ending there. I mean, we all knew what would happen to Discord and Luna. But that self-addressed letter from Celestia to herself. Right in the feels.

4473519
Yeees. Fall into my web of silly fluff and carefully constructed character interaction. I will steal your summer, new reader. Or at least a few days of your summer! :trollestia:

4473769
Aw man, Heart of Blades. I answered both of your questions in previous comments, so instead, have this heartfelt message:
Your long, insightful comments are a highlight of the entire comment section.
You always have something to say, and that something is never just "yay!" You dissect, introspect, analyze, and critique. Those kind of comments are always a fantastic read, and great help for an author gauging their audience. Thank you so, so very much for taking your time to write them out. :raritystarry:

4473992
You've been here for IT ALL?? :pinkiegasp: Man. It's so hard keeping fans from your first chapter to your last. You lose some. You bring some back. Lots stay away, but new fans come back.
So really, thank ME?! Thank YOU for reading, dangit!! :pinkiehappy:

4474080
Hmmmm.... You know what? Kind've, yeah. It's like the really, really long and drawn out "Amen" at the end. A long, beautiful note, held for a timeless moment.....
HEADCANON.... ACCEPTED??? :pinkiegasp:

4474627
Heck yes, I'm an entry-level fic! It's like an entry-level drug! More fictional... but just as dangerous! :pinkiecrazy:
And I always always always try to encourage anybody and everybody to write, unilaterally, forever! It's a very fun, very rewarding hobby that's both cheap AND entertaining!

4474788
HECK YES IT IS :yay:
FREAKING HOOFBUMP IT OUT, SIS AND/OR BRO /)

4475529
Well, I was slightly dizzy after I finished reading the last chapter... :ajsmug:
Who needs drugs (or roller coasters, for that matter) when you have stories like this? :pinkiehappy:

So, yeah, you should probably put up a warning. After all, it has been known to cause diabetes, the feels, awe, happiness and other reactions commonly associated with words and cute cuddly equines.

Here. This one pretty much sums it up:
i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/667492211/caution_beware_of_extreme_awesomeness_sigg_water.jpg

4475207
Bittersweet is better than the big depression-fest everybody thought it would be when I started the story. When Steadfast first came out, it was still early into season two... and Discord did NOT have a happy end. :applejackunsure:
I think it's nice that we all know it goes to shit... but that doesn't negate all the happy memories already made, and it doesn't negate the happy memories to come. :twilightsmile:

4475580
When it comes to Deus Ex vs. Not Deus Ex, it's all a matter of proper pacing and setup. I've been setting all of this up for a looooooooooong time so... yeah. Conclusive end get! :yay:
And no! That cover has only been present since about chapter 30ish? I have a list of the previous cover images here!

4475606
I really didn't want to end on "LOL, IT WAS ALL A TRAGEDY SUCKERS", but I don't think I could have ended the story without addressing the very obvious, very sad canon end. :fluttershysad: I felt like this letter was the easiest way to comment on the issue, without negating all the happy memories Discord, Luna, and Celestia shared.

4475647
I would put that warning up, buuuuuuuuuuut maaaaan. People might think that I was flaunting my skill? Or they might go in expecting something so much better, then yell at me for raising their expectations?? :rainbowlaugh:

I guess I am doomed to trap people on a horrible roller coaster of feels :trollestia:

4475662 Actually, it's kind of poetic how Discord becomes reformed. Epilogue, anyone? Hahaha!

I remember back when I started this story. I came into the comments, ignorant of the the fact that you had also written Fostering Intelligence. After you let me know that you were the author of that work, I knew that The Steadfast Sky would be something incredible. Now look at where you are!

This is one of the rare stories that leaves me in tears when it ends. I knew it had to one day, but it still tugged at my heart when it did. I love this story so much. I'm overwhelmed and cannot articulate how I feel about this marvelous piece of work.

What flaws this monster of a story has are easily skimmed over to focus on the amazing characters. God, I love your discord. Fostering Intelligence and The Steadfast Sky are the best incarnations of Discord I've read in the two years i've been here.

I've followed this story from beginning to end and I've never been disappointed or bored. This story has earned its place on my front page. I'm a nobody on Fim, but still. I reserve spots on my front page for stories that I feel have something special about them; something beyond exemplary writing.

And even though I'm no one to you, I'd just like to say that it fills me with pride whenever one of my fellow writers/ MLP fans finished their projects. I also heard that you are on the team writing or Fallout: Equestria unity project. That's a great opportunity and it sounds like good fun as well.

You've earned yourself a follow from me. I can't even remember the last time I pressed the follow button.

I wish you luck on your future projects. It was a pleasure to have read through this story.

From the beginning, what stood out to me in this story was not just its exciting plot and interesting world, but its characters. Somehow, you took three characters and illustrated them so beautifully in words that I could not help but feel for them as if they were more than words. After a long and wonderful journey, we've arrived at the conclusion, and it has exceeded my hopes. The knowledge of what will inevitably happen strikes against the hope present in the penultimate chapter, but that hope is still there. For yes, the characters you have brought to life will fall and suffer, but Luna was freed from her nightmare, and that means that there is hope for Discord. Thanks for writing, and for making me care.

Edit: Wait, this is canon-compliant even up to Discord's reformation? YES! The joy, the joy.

4475834
Don't put yourself down as you're complimenting somebody, man! You're just mixing the sad tears in with the piles and piles of happy :fluttercry:
Sometimes I really don't know what to say when a comment is this long, and so overflowing with positive joy. All I can say is that I'm glad this version of Discord was so moving. I'm glad that, despite a number of weird niggling issues, that the story itself shines despite them. i'm glad that I earned a place in your very selective followed list.

And i'm glad that the story moved you to tears. I'm collecting those, actually. Brewing a potion later. Potent magic. Going to change the world :rainbowwild:

4476340
My goal from the start was aimed directly at the characters. Making them live, making them breathe. Feeling out how they were different, and where they would come together. More than anything else, that was this story's focus. And I'm glad that focus did not taint the story, or lead it astray. :twilightsmile:
And yes. More than ever, there is so much hope :pinkiehappy: Both Discord and Luna are alive and well in the canon. and even though Discord isn't over some of his nightmares, he's been given the chance to live again.

That clingy end
not just desperately holding onto the memories of good times, but actively using them to pull yourself forward by manipulating your own emotions and becoming dependent on the memories.
yet, it's just reiterating the suffering that existed for her in the show, though this does a far better job of that.

4476484
There's a reason why I think Celestia is best pony.
It's a weird, sad reason basically based on me seeing her as a soul tormented by age and personal failings.
But a reason nonetheless! :pinkiecrazy:

Well it just goes to show any text that uses roman numerals to section itself means business, and this certaintly meant business! I give you all my kudos for finally making the Discord we wanted to see, and creating mounds of new headcannon! Even if season 4 disproved half of it anyways... :derpyderp1:

4477442
Meh to the season 4 disproval stuff. This story started in the middle of season 2... and really, I havnt changed it's direction or lore much since then. This is the story I wanted to write, inconsistencies and all :twilightsmile:

Wow it's been one long wild ride

So was Celestia going all split personalities when she wrote that letter in the end?

Also, this is one of the best stories I have ever read. If I had Metric Shytetonnes of money, I would give lots of it to you.

I've never been the best at giving in-depth story reviews/opinions or whatever, so sorry if this comes off a little bit awkwardly phrased :twilightsheepish:

I've been reading this story for awhile now, I can't remember when exactly I started but it was probably around the time they arrived at canterlot, and I just want to say that you have done an utterly incredible job. You have breathed new life into characters who have had little exposition as a whole, and have added an entire new level to the backstory of the world. Every single character you've made has been enjoyable to read and see evolve, be they major or minor in terms of importance. It's rare to see a story which can really make you think, which can make you truly care for the characters as if they were friend you've known your entire life, and you have pulled this off to a 'T'. There isn't really a whole lot I can say, except thank you for writing such a beautiful tale, and that I wish luck to you in whatever you do next.

Keep on rockin'

~Church

4477778
Maybe I should put up that warning sign :fluttershysad: "WARNING: Ride is long, wild, happy, sad, and also somehow gets you drunk maybe. SO CRAZY!!!"

4481187
Nah, she was just using a coping mechanism.
And thank you for the Metric Shyttons of imaginary money. Luckily, that's the second ingredient in a potion I'm making... :pinkiecrazy:

4481870
NYU. Never apologize! Especially not when writing long, heartfelt comments to people! I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT! :pinkiegasp:
Thank you so, so very much for taking the time to write this. More and more I'm coming to understand just how well these characters have come together. Even when it's you're goal, you can nver really tell while writing if you've succeeded or not... And I really, really do hope you continue to enjoy my future works, especially since I saw you follow my tumblr! :pinkiehappy:

4482074 Hell yeah I did. Want to make sure I get ta see whatever awesome stuff you start coming up with next :yay:

Most glorious thing I've ever read.

4477476 I haven't found a single thing in season for that disproves this.

Nothing can properly express how awesome this story is.

Well, I did think the ending was a little abrupt. But that's different from being cut short. Sometimes, as you said, trying to pad it out just means dragging it out to its detriment. I didn't think the abruptness was unfitting.

Final thought:

“It’s true ma’am,” my other guard, Munch, grunted, “They like ‘em a loud bark.”

“Oh, I know,” I said, “I am well prepared.”

AND THUS WAS BORN THE TRADITIONAL ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.

Nothing can express the awesomeness of the story. Bravo.

79 chapters of epicness, and I'm proud to say, I read everyone!

Happy writing!

4485750
Not directly disproved so much as implied alternatives? I can certainly admit that this story fits the canon with minor fudging. But it's clearly not ZE GLORIOUS MATCH. :twilightsmile:

4485988
I guess I'm still a little underpracticed when it comes to endings :twilightblush: On the other hand, "Abrupt, but fitting" is STILL better than Sunset Looms' "Oh. Well. I guess that happened." or Body of Work's "Wait, that's it?"
Condensed Magnificence works better for me than Spread Out Awesome, I guess.

4486467
I dunno. About thirty comments that express delight at THE AWESOME do add up into a general WAVE OF EXPRESSED AWESOME.
Therefore: Thank you so much for adding to that wave of positive emotions :yay:

4488764
Heck yes, happy writing! Tons of this story was happy writing, the ending was happy writing, and there's hopefully a lot of happy writing to come in the future!
There will probably also be strained, blocked, and not so happy writing. but what can you do? Gotta take the good with the bad in this hobby. :scootangel:

A
A
Awesome!
A-a-a-aaaaawesome!
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

But I must say that I'd like to know what Ruin did after Discord became evil.

4501976
I don't really think Ruin knew, or any of the Draconequus ever found out. Ruin would be long dead when Discord turned evil. And I have a feeling that the generations he raised probably compete for land and resources with the Dragons, far FAR from Equestria, to this very day.

My review written immediately after reading the final chapters:

Wow! I doubt I can sum up a good review for this story, not helped by the fact of the reading being spaced out over years of time... I will re-read this at some point, no telling when, but even then I can’t promise a coherent review.

I loved this story, and I can easily say it’s one of the best of the best from this fandom! If I remember right I've been following along with the updates since chapter seven and it’s been quite a ride.

I don’t know how to thank you properly for this... all I can say is that I hope you feel good about having finished the story; it really is an accomplishment to be proud of, I’m not just saying that because of the length of the story or for the length of time it took to write, or for the quality of it, but for all of those things and more!

This story is a prime example of why fan-fiction reading is my main hobby; you've given me an experience that’s spanned some three years of my life, not just for the joy, and other emotions, I get from reading the story but for the time in-between: waiting for updates, wondering about the story and characters, hoping for my own theories’ to pan-out…

There have been times where simply seeing an update, just knowing that there was a new chapter to read, has made me squeal in joy or do fist pump… I know I sound creepy saying this but I don’t know how to better convey the amount of emotions I went through with this story.

Well all I can do is thank you profusely, so thank you! Thank you for writing this story, thank you for sticking with it for years, thank you for sharing it online for people like me to find and read; and thank you, perhaps most of all for finishing it even after you lost interest in it yourself!

I’m offline right now, I can’t see what your thoughts are, I know you made a blog post but I can’t read it right now; I don’t know if your going to keep writing fan fiction, in this fandom or in others or anything else… but for wherever you go and whatever you do please remember that what you've done is well and truly appreciated. (Wow I just realized that was kind of corny considering the end of The Steadfast Sky but I didn't mean it to be…)

Addendum, written after reading your blog posts and comments:

Well I’m glad to see you’re happy about the story and to read that you’re planning on writing a novel, (and more fan fiction!) I hope it goes well for you, it’s clear to me that you’re plenty good enough to get published, so good luck with that!

This story was amazing all the way through. Very good work. I'm going to miss reading about these three.:applecry:

Login or register to comment