• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 11,534 Views, 1,273 Comments

The Steadfast Sky - Greytercakes



Celestia, Luna, and Discord grow into their godhood by unearthing the Elements of Harmony. EqD 6 Stars.

  • ...
11
 1,273
 11,534

PreviousChapters Next
LIII : A Canterlot Confrontation

The Steadfast Sky : A Canterlot Confrontation
The Grey Potter
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11495/The-Steadfast-Sky
http://cosmicponyfiction.tumblr.com

~Luna~

It gnawed at me, even when I was supposed to be raising the moon. Discord… where could he have gone? Why is he gone? Why now? It had nothing to do with Celestia, that was for sure. Was he just avoiding his duties? Though, of all the things he skipped and skeeved, he didn’t dare miss that one on job. But I cast my voice up the tower, and saw a sort of shadow jump at the sound… It was just one of the younger Illuminators, sent to ring the bell in his stead. So that doesn’t answer anything… Was Discord embarrassed, avoiding our next meeting?

Or… or maybe he was avoiding me….

There were some startled shouts from around me. The Illuminators, horns pulsing and sparking and raising the moon, had begun to skid forward, pulled forward by the weight of the moon. Eep! Whoops! My own horn burned, and I resumed lifting and throwing the thing across the nighttime sky. Yeah… yeah, that um, seems like enough momentum. Uh…

Not the time to think about Discord, Luna! Jeez… I haven’t made a mistake that bad in months! Even the other Illuminators didn’t quite know what to do, the closing song coming in a stumbling start, eyes pointed at the sky as if they expected the moon to fall back down again. But if anything, it was going a tad bit too fast, slow arc almost visible to the naked eye. Well um. I’ll fix any speed errors in the morning. Yes.

I rushed from the ceremony that night, rattling off places I should check for him. His room (empty), The Illuminators (couldn’t say where he was), the um… well, I guess he could be a lot of non-obvious places too. I roved up and down the halls of Canterlot castle, just looking in corners, wondering if Discord would pop from a doorway with a grin and a new spell. I thought, briefly, that I should ask Celestia, or a guard, or something. But of course Celestia had a thing, and wasn’t around. And the guards just followed after me when I asked, not even trying to help look.

Finally, tired and brain-dead, I wandered into my own room for the fifth time that night, and decided to just go to bed. I collapsed on top of the comforter, limply trying to kick off my shoes and wriggle out of my little frock. They’re probably very gross and sweaty, but… clothes. I don’t care about clothes. Who cares about clothes?

Where? Where could he be, where? I’m scared now. I really am. What did he do? Did he get stunned somewhere by an angry Celestia? Did he fly off without me? Did he get caught in an avalanche?! What could have kept him from his tower? If he was hurt or trapped somewhere, couldn’t make it to ring the bell…

I shoot up, finally realizing.

When Discord is gone by accident, the bell doesn’t ring. The Illuminators don’t send someone when they know the bell will ring. But today, there was an Illuminator in the tower… And slowly, staring down at my pillow, I understand.

The Illuminators knew Discord would be gone.

And they LIED to me about it!

It was like a small flame was reignited in my heart. What have I been doing, moping and doping all day?! That was stupid. That didn’t help me find Discord at all! I should go and ask them again, not let them give me no for an answer… But what time is it, midnight? I could ask in the morning…

No! no, no, no! I hop out of bed, find myself stunned to be standing. I don’t care how late it is! And I don’t care that I’m tired from looking! I’m full of energy, positively electric now! I don’t even care if no Illuminators are in the library! I’ll… I’ll sleep there, I will!

I charge for the door, leaving my shoes and dress behind. I burst through two of my guards, leaving them to gallop after my tail.

The streets were brightly moon-lit and quiet, the only sound my hoof beats and the pounding of the befuddled guards behind me. It was actually nice, running, I don’t know when I did that last. Princesses do not run, I think. An early lesson, one I had taken in after so long… I galloped even faster, as if to make up for lost time.

Finally, the ostentatious… dumb library minarets were in my sights. I skidded around that last corner, charged up the marble steps, and I bashed in the doors—!

I slammed into the dark wood and rebounded, spinning down the steps.

Alright. Alright, that hurt quite a bit. Why did I think body slamming the doors was a good idea? Luna, you’re acting sort’ve hotheaded, and that may not be a good thing. You’re dizzy, and you’re tired, and you’re acting irrational…

And yet, I laugh a little. It probably looked a little funny, just slamming into the doors like that. But I guess I should do this like a Princess… Stomping, um, daintily, as I walked, I tromped back up the stairs and bashed it ten times with a hoof.

“Illuminators! Please answer! I’ve got questions for you! Open up! … Please?” I stopped, thinking. Then, I started shouting again, “I know its late, but certainly, there’s got to be somebody here! Well?! Don’t make me break in! Because… because I will! I swear, I’ll do it! So – oh!”

“Princess of Laughter!” With a loud click, one door slung outwards by a hair. A haggard apprentice stuck his head out the crack. “Do you have any idea what hour it is?”

“Past midnight, I think.” I glance up at the moon, and certainly it’s past it’s peak. But given that I threw it a little hard… Oh, that doesn’t matter now!

“It most certainly is!” the apprentice huffed, “Now, young Princesses should get some rest! It’s not becoming to stay up at this late hour.”

“Well what are you doing up so late?!” I demanded. “You’re only a little bit older than me!”

He fumbled for a second, huffing and puffing, all flabbergasted. “Well… Well I have important duties… Business, you know…”

“Okay,” I nodded shortly, “So what you’re doing is more important than what a Princess is trying to do?”

“That was not my intention, nor do I intend to, to… to” again, he fumbled with his words, “To exchange riddles! I have very important transcriptions to write!”

I stood smart, tall and proud, trying to look properly intimidating. “Then go and fetch me someone else! Someone who won’t treat their Princess so rudely!”

I thought being reminded of whom he talks to would shake him from his tired rudeness. Even though, I realize guiltily, if anyone is rude here, it’s probably me… No! No, Luna! Don’t let anything stop you! Something fishy is going on, and you have the right to find out what it is!

Well, my rudeness may have stopped me at the gate. The Illuminator’s eyes narrowed. He glanced down at my Element, standing silently. Finally, he slowly said, “Yes. You are our Princess.”

I almost wanted to laugh. “Of course I am! What, are you expecting an imposter?!”

He huffed again, taking his sweet time in responding. Finally, “Do you honestly think it would not be in your best interest to get some sleep?”

“Oh for heaven’s sake!” I cried, “I’m coming in already!”

My horn burned on my forehead, just one, hot flash. I didn’t have that far to go. With a jerk of my head, I dove into the shadows of the door, popping instantly out the other side. The darkness rippled like water, quickly falling back in place.

“What?” He gaped, backing away from me, “When did you learn to do that?”

“What, you think Discord’s the only one practicing magic? Now tell me where he is…” My horn flared again, and shadows boiled giddily around my feet. “Or I’ll throw you in the lake!”

Princess of Laughter!”

There was a shout from above me, and I spun around. The head Illuminator, Ivory Inkwell, was running across an upper balcony, staring coldly down at us.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” he demanded.

“Looking for Discord,” I explained simply. “And I know that you know where he is!”

The old Illuminator stopped, frozen to the spot. I thought, for a wildly tired second, that I had cornered him! But he didn’t seem to be looking me in the eye, or even avoiding my gaze. No, he was staring at my feet, actually looking pretty terrified at the coiling shadows.

“You will desist casting this moment, Princess! This is a place of peace!”

“Okay!” I let the spell drop. Simply, I said, “So that’s done. Now where’s Discord?”

For a little bit, the old Illuminator just seemed to stare at me as my horn, and strangely overheated body gradually cooled. Why was he stalling? Was he waiting for something? Maybe seeing if I’d cast another spell? I felt like it! Energy filled me like it hadn’t in months and months and months…

Carefully, no longer angry or afraid, the Illuminator asked, “Why do you seek Kindness here?”

“Because it’s weird that he’s not blabbing about magic at me,” I said, “And also, you know that he’s gone!”

“An assumption…”

“No!” I shouted, “When Discord forgets to ring the bell, you always yell at him. Always tell him to warn you, to get somebody else up there! And today, you had somebody up there in the tower. And that means that you were warned about where Discord had gone!”

I stood, triumphant, my accusation hanging in the air like the irrefutable proof that it was. Illuminator Inkwell was pretty level-headed, but I just knew, he was stewing right under his hood.

“When you say it’s strange,” he said slowly, “That he’s not babbling magic…”

“Yeah, he really, really likes to show off his experiments.”

“Do you… enjoy them?”

“Are you avoiding my questions?” I shoot back, “Because this sounds like you’re avoiding my questions. Where’s Discord?”

“I am simply wondering why you seek him.”

“What do you mean why? Why not?

“So this is something done out of boredom…?”

I boggled at him. “Why do you care?”

“The reason,” he said simply, still so calm and collected. “Is very important.”

“Okay. Why’s the reason important?”

“Depending on how you answer,” he said carefully, “It will determine if I tell you where Discord is or not.”

“Mmmm… Nope!” My happily horn flared, and I dove through the floor, tearing through the sticky shadows to shoot up beside the old Illuminator. He stumbled back, stunned by my sudden appearance. “I’m not playing around with dumb questions, or letting them determine whether or not I see my friend! Why are you asking these dumb quest—”

“Di-disrespect!” he spat loudly. “Know your place!”

“I thought my place was ‘being the Princess,’” I quipped, “Doesn’t that mean you should do everything I say?”

“I, we,” he sputtered. His eyes were wide, looked like they were about to pop from his head. He stammered for a moment more, backing quickly away from me.

Finally, with a crack in his voice, he cried, “We already have served one tyrant! We will not suffer another! Guards! Guards!”

The two guards who had run through the streets after me shoved their way through the open door, knocking aside the open-mouthed apprentice. I watched them, far below, as they charged around, heads whipping back and forth, looking for the stairs up.

“What? Why? Why are you calling the guards? Hey! YOU TWO!” My voice boomed without me knowing it. The two guards froze stiff. “Will you relax a moment?! I’m not doing anything wrong!”

“Brash! Irresponsible! Aimless renegade!” The Head Illuminator sputtered, “You as well! All of you, already corrupting! All of you just a few quick steps away from the darkness! I will not have it! We will not serve more NIGHTMARES!”

“I’m not a tyrant!” I laughed, despite myself, “I just want to know what Discord is!”

“Obsessive behavior!” he spat, “Random spurts of magic… I ask you simple questions, and you refuse to answer!”

“You know I could say the same of you!” I shot back, “Withholding information about Discord from me…!”

“Your ‘friend’ is hopefully not beyond our help!” he shouted, “And I dearly dream the same holds for you!”

With that, his horn flared, and I just barely ducked into the shadows. I had seen my sister prepare a flash spell plenty of times to know when to duck away!

But no flash came. Instead, a set of lights swirled around the corner. They bloomed, formed a pale pattern, like the design on a stained glass window. Swiftly, they shot and circled behind my head, creating an illusion almost three feet wide…

I turned to try and get a better look, and the picture dragged in the air. It snagged on a bookshelf, passing through them like it was caught in mud.

Okay, not an illusion? What the heck was this?

“The stairs are here! Quickly! … What do you mean, neither of you has a lasso?!”

I think that was my cue to escape. With a small difficulty, I dug another well of shadows under my feet, connecting it to the first place I could think of, the gardens…

But the shadows under me weren’t growing deep enough. Of course! The light was shoving shadows away! I yanked at shadows further away, pushing them under my feet, sinking painfully slow under the floor…

And then the little illusion halo snagged right before my head sunk beneath the floor.

“C’mon!” I shouted. My horn burned in my skull as a guard stumbled around the corner, just in time to watch me vanish…

…And in a sickeningly long drop, I fell heavily onto the floor below, right at the feet of the other guard.

“Please come quietly, Princess!” he cried.

“What?! NO!” I shouted back, “I asked some questions, that’s all! What is wrong with you guys?!”

I tried to shove up to my feet, but my knees wobbled. The guard drew closer, waving his spear weakly.

With a snort, I slapped shadows over his eyes, and opened a well under his hooves. He shouted, tugging at his feet, as if they were sticking in mud. I charged passed, head pulled back as the halo sunk through the shelves, through the pony’s body… How far could this weird binding spell go, removed from its master? If I could just get out the door…!

I ran for it, finally free of the bookshelves, in the open cathedral-like hall of the entrance. Illuminator desks whizzed by me, the only resistance being wind. And the little assistant, just a bit older than me, yet so much more frail.

“I’m warning you!” he shouted, horn flaring. I didn’t bother to answer, just charged forward, horn and Element flaring.

There was a blast of light, and liquid splattered in front of me. Not just on my eyes or body, but all across the marble, bright blue and green. Thick, sticky, and slippery, stinking of oil…

I snorted, paint jammed up my nose, leaking into my eyes. I shook my head, and the weight of the halo threw me off balance. I couldn’t see, eyes shut against the stinging. My aching foot crumpled. My shoulder slammed into the floor. My back bounced off the door, the giant things shivering and shaking on its hinges.

“Very good, Color Palette! Yes! Here! Over here!”

I winced as I stood, but I wouldn’t let that stop me! The door had swung open from my body slam, thick and heavy as it was. I shoved and wriggled my way through that opening, side scraping on the wood, halo slowing me more than anything else.

But through I went! I took one stumbling moment to swipe the paint from my eyes, a second moment more to pick a direction, and just one second more to build up speed, charge off into the moonlit streets of Canterlot.

PreviousChapters Next