• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 11,534 Views, 1,273 Comments

The Steadfast Sky - Greytercakes



Celestia, Luna, and Discord grow into their godhood by unearthing the Elements of Harmony. EqD 6 Stars.

  • ...
11
 1,273
 11,534

PreviousChapters Next
XLVII : A Canterlot Gift

The Steadfast Sky : A Canterlot Gift
The Grey Potter
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11495/The-Steadfast-Sky
http://cosmicponyfiction.tumblr.com

~Celestia~

This is unreal. This is a dream. A very, very vivid dream. I’ll wake up, and I’ll be sleeping on dirt and straw. I didn’t just arrive here, in this wonderful marble world.

And yet, my eyes are open, the world is sharply in focus, and here I am.

I walk, and the room ripples before me, waves of colorful ruffles and shimmering cloth parting like curtains in a breeze. The floor a reflective pool, so full of color and light. Gold everywhere. Statues proud. Paint coating the ceiling, drifting into an open garden, more fresh and alive than anywhere in Equestria. Above it all, a bright and welcoming moon. Something I’d never think would look so casual, so natural in the sky.

Ponies surrounding me, their voices soft, rising and falling in a wave of murmurs, coming from everywhere and yet from nowhere. An orchestra of ten plays. Harps, lutes, and flutes provide a melody to the people’s chattering song. Silver trays of little shredded carrots and crackers with celery dip, bobbing and weaving among miles of multicolor coats. Tiny crystal cups that shimmer in each unicorn’s aura, in their own special way. Earth ponies perfectly balancing delicate things on one hoof, picking their way through crowds. Pick their way over to see me.

Clean cut ponies offer me drinks. Lacy ponies offer me tiny wrapped gifts. Lightly dressed ponies offering me nothing wonderful words alone. They all blur into a multicolor mass, an infinitely detailed, infinitely faceted, infinitely colored ocean. I cannot hope to pick any individuals out, and I greet each and every one with a draining amount of care and attention.

I was dumbstruck. Drifting with the crowds. Answering weightless questions with automated manners. Did I even know my manners anymore? Was I walking properly, talking like a lady? I stared at a lot of broaches, at neck ruffs, still so short and small. Painfully reminded of my age. No longer a foal, and yet not quite a fully grown mare. I couldn’t tell if any of the ponies treated me like a youth, or an idol. My voice was lost in the swell of murmurs, but nobody seemed to mind at all.

This was what I wanted, for so long. To walk among the pretty party ponies, to be one of them. A baroness among the elite. And yet, here and now, I felt lost in in the swell. Immersed over my head, soaking in the high life, yet separated from it. I’m drowning, I thought. I’m lost in my own element, and I need an anchor, a boat, something.

Where have Luna and Discord gone? Are they lost in this sea as well? Could we at least be lost together…? Where did they say they were going to be? Outside? Into the garden?

I excused myself, over and over, each time a new loss. I wanted the energy to offer every guest my attention. I wanted to hear their stories and praises. Some have come from so far away, and others were so happy to finally have me arrive. They all deserve a welcome, don’t they? I must be appearing like such a rude and inconsiderate princess! Should I be fostering my own appearances so thoroughly? Oh Luna. Oh Discord. Where have you gone?

I made my way across the ballroom, towards the massive black windows holding back the night. They left through here, right? But it’s strange, was the wall curved like that when I entered? Was it not straight before? I arrived, and the wall wass merely covered in windows. No door to speak of, no garden beyond, only the infinite night, and the black carpet of the clouds below.

“The Shadow Stallion’s clouds…” I mumbled. I rub a hoof against my forehead. The image of the Stallion was in my head, a beast, a monster, hunting us down, griffins always at our heels… That too seems like an unreality, more distant and bizarre than the waking dream I currently inhabited. We escaped that beast? We avoided something like him, leaving his world?

“Princess Celestia!” A baritone erupted from the sea of polite murmurs. “It’s good to finally meet you in the flesh!”

I frowned. Not now. Not through these conflicting dreams. No, not while I search and sift for my friends.

Yet, I turned, curtseying, eyes lowered in respect. “Pardon, gentle stallion, but I am currently preoccupied—”

“Ah ha! Taking in the sights are you, young hero? Always good to see the moon when I come to Canterlot. Reminds me she still exists! Ho!”

Young hero? While I wasn’t quite used to hearing ‘Princess’ or ‘Loyalty’ yet, those were the only titles given to me in this place. The only allowed, I could guess from their frequency. It was strange to hear something else, strange enough to catch me off guard. To look up and see this strange stallion, the one who defined himself so clearly from the multicolor ocean.

In face and body, he was normal enough. An older Earth Pony, thick and heavyset, faded yellow coat with bushy green and red hair. But in his choice of wardrobe… Goodness, how he stood out. Most ponies here wore light satin, lace ruffs, very light and fluffy clothes. Yet, his clothes were not light in any sense of the word. Heavy dark red cloak. Hewn and heavy golden necklace constructed from old coins the size of saucers. More scratched and aged gold clinked around his ankles, continuing to weigh down appearance.

I got the sudden impression that this looked like something out of a history book, a noble from before the Exodus ripped right from the page and dropped in front of me. … Perhaps… a ghost from the past decided to welcome me to Canterlot? No, no, what a ridiculous thought. Am I so mentally lost that I resort to such ridiculous ideas?

“Pardon my poor manners,” I mumbled. “But may I ask your name?”

He smiled wide and raised his perfectly balanced crystal glass.

“Apple, my Princess. At your service.”

“Apple… what, pardon? I must have missed it.”

He laughed, loud enough to be rude. “Oh! You really don’t know who I am! I am Apple, Stringhalt’s chancellor, or, I suppose Regnant? Ha!” Again, a bark of a laugh. “Never figured out how much I was supposed to lie about how much power I had, you know?”

“N-no…?”

“Sorry, sorry!” He happily shook his heavy head. “Bit of an in-joke. Anyway, you were in Stringhalt! Some of my people refer to me as ‘Big Apple’? Certainly you must have heard that name in my city.”

“I… yes?” In my mind, black memories stirred. I’d rather avoid them. I carefully pressed them down.

“But that’s such an endearing term, don’t you think, Princess? Certainly not something you introduce yourself by to a leader. However!”

He clicked his back hoof against the floor, and a pony cloaked in Stringhalt’s banner materialized from the crowd. A woven basket hung from the servant’s neck, stuffed full of bright crimson paper. Carefully arranged contents poked over the lip. Caramel apples wrapped in wax paper and tied with little bows. Little wedges of sugared and candied apples, decorated with caramelized sugar flakes. A small stack of tarts and turnovers, and rising proud on the left size, an amber bottle of what was certainly cider.

“A gift for the lady!” Apple bellowed, “Glad you’ve made it to Canterlot safe and sound! I’d say welcome, but, you know… Guest of the city myself!”

“Oh! Thank you very much, Apple. It’s certainly a lovely gift, but I am sorry,” I recited, as I had a dozen times this night, “I cannot accept it. I have no means to easily carry it with me, and if I started accepting gifts, I honestly worry that I might misplace them.” I carefully shook my head. “I mean no disrespect, it would simply be a crime to loose such a thoughtful gift.”

A gift given, I knew, is a gift requested. It is a question, asking the receiver to dance. I didn’t wish to receive yet before knowing what noble games I’d soon become entangled in. But more than that, it’s never becoming of a young lady to juggle many gifts in her aura, lest she be seen as unseemly. This was very much the proper response for a proper mare.

Apple shrugged and waved his drink hoof, not spilling a drop.

“Quite polite, Princess! Very well practiced. Did you read up before the party?” I flushed red as Apple turned away from me. “Take the gift to the young hero’s room, Crumbles.”

“Oh! But… It has been a long time, and…” The servant vanished before I could form an objection! Oh… oh no, I… Crap! Wh-what do I do now?!

“Horseapples, have I embarrassed you, Princess?” He seemed shocked, armbands rattling as he attempted to wave away the bad air. “You must have had to refuse a lot tonight, eh? Myself as well! Nice generic response, lets those nobles down easy! Or hard, to the persistent ones!” He paused to laugh once more, and yet, it never arrived. He looked down at me, smile a little sideways. “I must seem rather forward to you, but you see, I had already given my gifts to the Prince and Young Princess. Don’t want the elder Princess to be left out now, do I?”

“Y-yeah. Yes.” Oh goodness, don’t lose your cool now, Celestia. Straighten up, don’t blush, don’t be so unbecoming. You are a Princess, act like one. Think like one. “My um, sister has received the same gift? Strange, I was just looking for her. Where have, ah…” Should I use their names? Their Elements? “Discord and Luna gotten to?”

“Lost track of them, have you?”

“Unfortunately, yes. We’re usually together, so I often worry about them when I find myself alone.”

“Ah, such a beautiful kinship between The Elements. How wonderful to see such a friendship once more!” He shoved his drink onto another of his servants, then held his freshly empty hoof aloft to me. With a bow, “My Princess, I would be honored to escort you. At least,” His expression grew dark. “As far as it is within my power…”

My insides chilled. “Are, are they not safe…?”

His rudely loud laugh returned, not even gone long enough to miss it. “It’s just a joke, milady! Lighten up, you’re taking this chat much too seriously! Here, here.” His hoof slapped down on my shoulder. “Walk with me. We talk, and I show you the way to your sister and friend.”

With that, he spun round and strode into the crowds, clip closer to a canter than a trot. I hurried, dreading the looming inevitability of tripping over my hem.

So I was back in those dizzying crowds, waves of cloth still parting before me, mumbles, maybe louder now. A leader convening with a leader, that was an event to gossip about. I wondered, what other important figures would I have to deal with? What other cities were large enough to need something like a Chancellor? Was Canterlot? But wouldn’t Canterlot’s leader have introduced themself to us soon after we arrived? I remember being introduced to the Head Illuminator…

“Well, Princess!” Apple boomed, glancing back at me, “Forgive me, but I think I have forgotten to ask the most important question of these polite exchanges.”

I blinked. “Have you?”

“Yes! My Princess, are you well?”

It was my turn to laugh, but at a much more polite volume. “Yes, such a mundane question, but it does demand to be asked, doesn’t it?”

“Right on the nose, my Princess.”

“In answer to your question, however: I am most certainly fine, thank you. Yourself?”

“As well as I could be! Stringhalt’s secure, trade is continuous, and the Elements have arrived in Canterlot, no worse for the wear! Though it behooves me to wonder, you see…” He slowed down, gaze more steady, more curious. “What’s took you so long?! The Shrine of Loyalty didn’t capture your interest that hard, did it? Did the illuminators demand you recount every boring detail of your adventure?”

“Oh, yes, they certainly demanded our story. And there were, well, a few other things that delayed our departure. But we only spent a few days in Hock. For most of the time, we were on the road—”

“On the road two weeks longer than you should have been! What’s the problem, Princess Celestia?” He grinned, “Lost? Or just take the scenic route?”

I opened my mouth, but stopped shortly after. What should I tell him? What was appropriate? Was it wrong, a bad thing that we went to Canterbury? Something horribly unsafe, risky, and stupid to attempt? Or did going there prove that I thought the country was more important than my safety…

Automatically, “Scenic route… yes. Something like that.” And after a thought: “For my country, a very dangerous scenic route.”

Apple’s face grew sour. “It’s not good for Equestria to have their Princess taking risks.”

“I still had to do it,” I recited, answer so clear. “I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t try.”

Apple nodded. “Alright, good answer! Your own Loyalty is clearly banging around your head, must be difficult to ignore!” He lead me through a thick crowd, ponies feet almost stumbling in their attempts to politely shuffle away.

“But, while we’re on the scenic topic…” I said. “I do have a question, too.”

“Alright, shoot!”

“This ball… Won’t the Shadow Stallion know we’re here?”

Apple chuckled, “Who here would report you to him? An Illuminator? One of the party ponies? You? Do you want to tell him?”

“Oh, no, no!” Again, the dark memories crept up my back… “But, some pony must be loyal... right?”

“Ha. Loyal,” Apple snorted, “To the Stallion, ‘Loyal’ means quietly pretending to follow. You see, The Shadow Stallion takes silence to mean all is well. Not just here, but in my city as well. And the last place he would confront is, essentially, his foreign embassy! I think some part of that thing understands his limits, yeah?”

“I don’t know…”

“Oh, Princess,” again, his hoof cupped my shoulder. But in the tightness of the crowd around us, he was close, and too quickly, holding me under one leg, an uncomfortable uncle. I mean, I could smell him, hot metal and musk. I tried to stop breathing. “He can neither look for you, nor see for you. He does not know your name, your cutie mark, and beyond that.” I felt a cold shiver as his hoof tapped against the Element, “This will keep you safe from all evil, right? Damn near indestructible, that Element, always there to protect you! Well!” he laughed, and released me. “To an extent! Don’t go jumping off any cliffs now, you hear?! Broken leg’s a broken leg, and no element alone can stop that from happening!”

“Well, of course not!”

“And, young hero,” Apple bowed low, necklace clattering against the floor, “If you’re ever in need, do not be afraid to call for me! I am your humble Chancellor Apple, at your beck and call! ”

I could hear the room murmuring around me. Of course they saw a display like that, we must be the center of attention right now. Goodness, what do I do?! I mean, of course I must accept, but, but what was the graceful way, the Princess-like way? Do I offer a hoof to kiss? Tell him to rise? I dunno, giggle?! Oh gosh, ponies are watching you Celestia, don’t mess up!

No, you’ve even stopped thinking like a princess! You’re horrible! Horrible, Celestia! The worst pony!

In my panic, and influenced in part by the ancient garb that defined the Chancellor, I found myself leaning down. In as smooth an action I could manage, I tapped my horn once, twice on each of his shoulders.

“I accept your Loyalty, Chancellor Apple.”

He stood smoothly, naturally, as if what just happened was not strange in the very least. The waves of murmurs didn’t stop, of course, but were they louder? Quieter? Nobody seemed to be looking my way, but these are nobles here! Everybody uses their peripherals! Oh goodness, I would just simply like to exit the situation now, please!

“Thank you, my Princess. Oh! And here we are!” He waved a hoof at a series of windows, but instead of leading to open sky, these opened into a finely trimmed garden. “Your friends should be just beyond the first row of hedges!”

“Thank you, Apple.” I curtseyed, “I hope to speak with you again soon.”

“Politely cutting me loose, eh?!” he bellowed, “Well alright, I will be seeing you again soon!”

I charged off into the garden, hardly minding my hem and I ran for my friends. The party pony’s murmurs were never gone, but other sounds began to supplant and override the chatter, sounds of nature both familiar and unfamiliar. Among the familiar, a rising squeal that only belonged to one special pony.

“Noooo!” Luna squealed happily. “I’m no good at music!”

“C’mon!” Discord shouted. “It’ll be like humming a tune! Y’know, like’ twinkle twinkle’ or something.”

“No, no, no, noooo! That’s silly! I don’t know how to do that at all!”

“That’s why you practice! You can only do it right if you do it wrong a dozen times!”

“Stop, stop!” Luna giggled even more furiously, “I don’t wanna! I’m good at explodey noises!”

“C’mooon!”

I trotted around another corner, and finally, finally, there they were! Discord and Luna had practically set up a home base on a bench. Piled gifts, opened and unopened, served as squat walls around them. Ribbons and wrapping paper defining the borders of their territory. I, well, I ignored the scene, deciding to simply charge through it. I mean, nobody else was around to see such a horrible sight! But for my crime, nearly slipping on an upturned box.

“Oh my goodness you guys,” I said, “I have been looking everywhere for you!”

“Big sis!” Luna cheered. She hopped off the bench and slammed into me. “Where’d you go?! Did you see?!”

“See what?” I asked.

“No, you missed it?! Me and Discord made fireworks! He made the explosions, and I made the explodey noises! It was so much fun! This part is great! Did you see?!” She hopped away, magically grabbing a dozen boxes and spinning them around her head. “PRESENTS! It’s not my birthday, or Hearth’s Warming, but we missed Hearth’s Warming, so presents! I GOT SO MANY PRESENTS!” And that’s exactly when she started to spin in circles and squeal, absolutely beside herself.

“Goodness,” I mumbled. “How many of those presents were sweets, Discord?”

“I dunno, pretty much all of them?” Punctuating his point, Discord popped open another box, shoving a chocolate truffle in his mouth.

“Luna. Luna, I know it’s hard, but please calm down. You’re not acting like a proper lady. You’re not even acting like a very mature filly.”

“I. Don’t. Care!” She squealed again, hopping on the bench and leaping off. “I’m just so excited! This is the best place ever! Best. Place. EVER!!! Discord! Discord, let’s make more explodey things! I want to just go…” She took a deep breath. “PCHAAAAAOOOW! BDSHHOOOOOM!”

“Okay, Luna, no more sweets tonight.” Carefully, I tried to collect the boxes and tie them up properly. “You’ve had too many.”

“But! But they’re all so tasty and new and really good! Except this baklava. BLEH!” She flicked a box with her hoof, almost upturning it. “Baklava is papery and gross and tastes like NUTS! Bleh! Bleh!”

“Oh, so you won’t mind if I have it?” Discord asked.

“Luna,” I said, “If you eat all your treats now, you won’t have any for later.”

Somehow, her wide eyes got even wider.

“Oh NO!” Her own aura supplanted my own, snapping boxes and bags closed.

“And Discord…”

“Hn?”

“Just… stop. You already had a ton of taffy. You’re going to make yourself sick if you keep eating all these sweets.”
He wistfully looked down at the box of half-eaten baklava. “But they’re all so tasty…”

I shook my head.

“Guess I could just…” He grunted, leaning over the bench railing. “Eat some of the stuff in this gift basket from Big Apple.” Discord dragged the basket up after himself, and I was surprised to see how different it was. Sure, the big bottle of cider was there, along with the carefully wrapped caramel apples. But instead of the sweets and cookies, there were egg custards, cheeses, and two strangely shaped masses. Three oblong paper boxes tied in bows. And coiling around the entire basket, what looked like a dark red train of sausages. I didn’t quite…

“So, what’s your read on Apple?” Discord asked.

“He’s…” I thought for a moment. I had long since tucked away that embarrassing little conversation. It was so much fun to just be with these two again, even if they were, well, acting incredibly improper. Anyway, Apple? “He was jovial. Very direct, and loud as well. And somewhat strange for it.”

“Jovial? Really?” Discord snickered. “Holy crap, Celestia, not even a night and you’re already talking like these fancy types!”

“Big sis, noooo!” Luna giggled, “They’ve got you in their claws! Now you’ll never escape!”

I blushed, knowing my own desires, and knowing how much they didn’t matter at all to these two. Discord immediately went for the block of cheese.

“So why do you ask about Apple?” I asked. … Queried.

“I dunno, thought he was kind’ve an oddball to,” Discord responded. “Nice enough guy, but crazy different from everyone else here, you know?”

“He’s loud!” Luna squealed, bouncing on the squeaking bench. “He’s loud and nobody cares that he’s loud! Is it cuz he’s a big stallion?! Because he’s a leader?? Does that mean that I can be loud, big sis?!”

“No, Luna,” I laughed nervously. “I wouldn’t…”

I stopped. Discord began gnashing his way through the block of fine cheese, no bread or wafers to even go with the appreciable gift. Cheese like that was something to be savored, not… There was a peal of laughter behind us. And I do swear, it was directed at us. Look at the young royalty, how poorly they hold themselves.

Oh, can I not just be comfortable with my own friends…? I must be so furiously red right now, heat was creeping and stinging at my ears and neck.

“It’s rude, you know,” I mumbled, unconsciously, “It’s very, very rude to accept so many gifts.”

“Is it?” Discord shrugged. “Thought it would be rude to refuse. Somebody gives you something, then heck yes, I’ll take whatever they’re willing to give.”

Luna giggled nervously. “I kinda remembered it wasn’t a good thing… but they were very happy to give us stuff! And then it piled up and up and up, and now, we’re here!”

“Mm-hm!” With a jab and a twist of his claw, Discord yanked the top of the cider bottle.

“I wouldn’t drink that if I were you,” I said, “It’s certainly alcohol.” And yet, there he went, drinking right from the bottle. Nothing to him. A little stab wound to me.

“Wow! Yeesh!” he smacked his lips, shoulders curling up. “That friggin stings! Augh, it… So that’s cider, huh? Eh…” He took another swig, and again his face turned sour. “Oh jeez, why did I take a second drink?! Auuuugh!”

Okay, I can’t do this.

“Well, it was great to see you guys, but, um, I should get back. To the um, party.”

“Big sis?” Luna asked. “When did you become so pink?!”

I giggled nervously and quickly rushed away. Back to the endless color waves…

I do not think this party was nearly as fun as I thought it would be.

~¤~

Of course, my own obsession with proper etiquette and politeness was my downfall that night. It was hours before I felt comfortable about getting away, and I never did meet up with Luna or Discord again. I wondered, walking back alone, what had happened to them? Were they back in their rooms, or still tearing through their gifts in that garden?

In any case, I expected Apple’s gift basket in front of my door. But much to my surprise, a few other little boxes and bows had joined it. A few tokens and desk items from the Illuminators. A tiny, wrapped mont blanc from the funny guard, Apple Brandy. And finally, a particularly heavy box from a name I didn’t recognize. Some noble, judging from the tight and fanciful handwriting.

I carried them all inside, and over the course of my nightly preparations, discovered the two noble gifts were far more than they first appeared.

From the basket of apples and apple-based products, I hovered out a little bronze lamp. It looked to be oil or kerosene, but there was no wick. And it didn’t smell so much like kerosene, as it did like burnt hair, or rotten eggs. Little patterns wove their way up and down its body, embedded with rubies. So, ‘a pretty gift for a pretty mare’ obviously. But why a lamp, of all things…? I giggled at a small joke. It didn’t even look like an apple!

Of course, all I had to do was return to the basket. Nestled in its weave, there was a little note on heavy stationary.
“Princess, this lamp contains a very powerful and rare material known as Dragon’s Breath. It bursts to flame as soon as it contacts air, and has a number of magical properties. The container is keyed to deliver any object burned to my person. Simply place any letter above the wick, turn the lever, and the pot will do the rest.

Contact me whenever you need, my Princess.

Chancellor Apple.”

Dragon’s Breath? This? I turned the knob, just to see, and a fat flame licked from the mouth. Bright orange, in an unnatural hue. It glittered and sparked like a firework, even for the brief moment I allowed it to burn.

A pretty gift for a pretty mare indeed… But now, finally free of all jewelry and dress, what was in the other box?
Easily opened, inside, among a pile of satin paper, were two crystal foreshoes

They glittered and glimmered clear and pure, like carved ice. No, clearer than any ice I had ever seen. It was like water from a stream, captured into this form as it flowed. Were they glass? Were they too fragile to wear? I feared touching them, even in my aura, lest they shatter from my touch. Who in the world gave me this…?

I checked the note again. The cursive was still almost too elegant to be read, but I eventually managed to make out a single name.

Well, good showing Blueblood, whoever you are! But only a giggling dandy would dare to wear such a fine gift from a scheming noble. You won’t control me that easily! Even if they are quite gorgeous shoes… I tucked them away at the bottom of my bureau, next to the golden pair provided by the Illuminators. Even the bright gold seemed to dull next to the beauty of the crystal shoes… Oh, such a shame to not wear them… Maybe in a month. Or two weeks. Enough time to not be showy or scandalous. Yes, that is the proper way.

More than anything else. I will be proper.

PreviousChapters Next