• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 11,534 Views, 1,273 Comments

The Steadfast Sky - Greytercakes



Celestia, Luna, and Discord grow into their godhood by unearthing the Elements of Harmony. EqD 6 Stars.

  • ...
11
 1,273
 11,534

PreviousChapters Next
XXX : Sisters

The Steadfast Sky : Sisters
The Grey Potter
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11495/The-Steadfast-Sky
http://cosmicponyfanfiction.tumblr.com/

~Luna~

I’m not certain how much time had passed, but I remember what your cradle looked like. It was fine, made out of wood, carvings almost flowing onto the rocking legs. The headboard rose, well, over your head, and there was a little mobile that swung above you, with little wooden stars, all painted a bright yellow.

It was just big enough so that I could place my hooves on the lip and tilt it over to take a look. You were always resting on your stomach, among dozens and dozens of white ruffles, your adorable little baby outfits. But when I tilted the cradle, you’d topple into the side. Then you’d try to stand again, and oh, I couldn’t get over how adorable you looked.

So, mother and father, they--

~Θ~

“Did you play with me a lot?”

“Huh?”

Big sis keeps getting so lost off in la-la land, sometimes she forgets the stinkin’ point of the story! I asked her to describe me when I was little, and she wants to make it about mom and dad... Well, I guess I thought that would make me feel better, hearing about them. But... It always feels like she’s talking about two strangers, so, um, in-ta-mentally. When she finally started talking about me, things just felt a little bit more in place. You know? I try to explain it to her slowly.

“So, I had a nanny.”

“Yes, Honey Bun, who--”

“But you played with me a lot too, right? I mean, I think my earliest memory is playing with you!”

“Oh?” Celestia’s been scrolling through some really weird faces today, but I think dumbfounded surprise suits her nicely. “Really?”

I nodded so hard my head kinda hurt.

“Yeah!”

~Θ~

So, I was really, really little, and my memory doesn’t really work all that well back then, so I don’t know how I came here or what happened after. But I remember that I had a tiny piano, painted bright blue. I remember the blue, like, a sky blue, my hair blue. I could see the wood under me, or I can see it now, in my head.

But I remember staring at that box thing, and wondering, what the heck is this? Somehow, I knew it could make sounds. It was a soundmaking box. Maybe Honey had tapped a few keys to show me, I don’t know. All I knew was that it was weird and a mystery.

I think I kicked the top a few times, then started placing my stuffed animals on it. One tumbled off, and it made the noise! So I shoved more up there, trying to get it to happen again.

Then you were there, just out of nowhere. I dunno, I’m pretty sure you walked in, but I wasn’t paying attention to things like that, I was really, really little. So, you picked up Tottering Trottingham...

~Θ~

“Oh, right!” Celestia interrupted, “Yes, I remember this!”

~¤~

So there you were, flopped on top of that little blue piano. Your toys were hovering all over the room as you tried to ease them, or force them beside you, sliding them around and knocking them all over the place. You were whinnying, a high pitched whinny, kicking your legs and tearing at the fabric of your dress, even through your little booties.

“Wassa matter, woona?” I remember Honey speaking just like this. It was the proper way to talk to you. “Wassa matter?”

You squealed, pushed some more of your toys off the piano, then tried to place more on.

“Wassa matter?”

“Guh!”

“Wassa matter?”

“Guwauh!”

“No, no, silly woona, that’s not how you play piano!”

You beat your little booties against the piano top as I picked up a random toy, one I thought wouldn’t upset you. You were very clingy back then, to almost anything you could get your teeth around. And Tottering Trottingham used to be mine, so... anyway.

“See, Woona? Watch Tot-tot!”

“Aoup-Auop!”

“Yes, bwah-bwah! Watch what he does!”

Then, I made Trottingham place his little hooves on the keys. The second I did, you squealed, really loud. I almost thought you’d start crying, or... maybe I didn’t, because I hit the keys again, and you laughed!

You spun around on your stomach, leaning over the keys... goodness, I can almost remember what your breathing sounded like. Almost like you had a fever, or your nose was stuffed up. Anyway, I played a few more keys, and you laughed again, and began bashing your hooves into them.

~Θ~

“I wouldn’t call the sounds music, but...”

“I would!” I shouted, “That sound was beautiful, amazing! We made a really great song together!”

“Really?” Celestia chuckled.

“Now tell me another one!”

And then she was puzzled... such strange faces today!

“Another what?”

“Another story from when I was really, really little!” Duh!

“Hm... oh! Oh, I’ve got a good one!”

~¤~

“Goodness, Woona, look at all this hay on your head!”

You looked up at me from your highchair, face the most foalish perplexity I had ever seen. Dribble was running down your bib as I stood over you, propped up by a stool. Hay was indeed on your head, spilling down your face and sticking in your mane. And you had no idea why it was there.

“Woona, what are you doing with all this hay on your head?!” I dropped another aura-full on the crest of your mane. You looked up, and hay spilled down your back. You babbled, not excited or scared, but confused, horn lighting up on instinct.
“Goodness, Woona, look at all this hay! Aren’t you going to eat it?!”

You tilted back a little more, then forward. Hay tumbled down from your head, and your eyes grew a little wider. Your aura lit up around the straws, and with an excited squeal, you blasted the hay all around the kitchen.

~Θ~

“Goodness, I thought I was going to get in so much trouble for making a mess...”

“Then why’d you put that hay on my head?!”

“I don’t know! I was little, I thought it was funny!”

“What’s funny about it?”

“Well...” Celestia stumbled, smile growing a little wider. “It’s cute, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, I guess the story’s pretty cute...” I almost want to stop, but keep going, right as another question pops to mind. “Why didn’t I hear this before?”

Celestia shrugged. “I don’t know. It’s just a little random story.”

“Hm... Hey! I just thought of something.”

“What?”

~Θ~

Once, a really, really long time ago, again, I remember being really, really scared of the dark. I couldn’t see through it, and--

~Θ~

“Strange to think of,” Celestia said idly, “There was a time when you were afraid of the dark.”

“Lemme finiiish!”

~Θ~

So, anyway, I was buried under the covers. I tried only sticking my snout out to breathe, but the blankets kept slipping down... and then, I saw my piggy bank, on the top of my dresser. I had convinced myself it was moving, dancing around and doing somersaults, like a little pony clown.

I was terrified. I couldn’t look away. And I couldn’t move, or else it would see me. And who knows what it would do! So I was getting more and more and more terrified...

Then I just burst right out of those blankets and charged right out of my room. There were weird shadow shapes everywhere, and I didn’t know where to go. But I knew that if I ran to your room, I’d be safe! I didn’t think to go to my parents, or my nanny... I knew I just had to get to my big sister, and she’d protect me.

So I burst into your room, and you were really, really confused. Bucked off your blankets and everything.

“Luna! Luna, what is it?!”

“A monster’s in my room, the clown! The little somersaulting clown!”

You sort’ve sat there for a second, a really, really still shadow.

“I thought we banished the little thing last week.”

“It’s back again! Banish it please?”

“How about we banish him in the morning, Lu--”

“No, he’ll get me!”

“Of course he won’t get you, you’re staying right here with me.”

You scootched over in your bed and held open the covers, letting me crawl up beside you. You tucked the covers really tight around me, making sure I was safe and secure.

“Better, Luna?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Well... sweet dreams.”

“Lullaby.”

“Sorry?” You were almost snippy, always trying to chide me into saying the right things. “What was that?”

“Please sing a lullaby, big sis?”

“Big... Oh, alright.”

~Θ~

I walked tall and proud, the best teller of the best memory stories ever! I waited, almost impatient for Celestia to start saying how cute it was and chime in with her own story... But she didn’t. She was really quiet, staring and frowning at the ground.

“Was this...” she spoke up, slow and deliberate. “Before or after our parents were gone?”

“I thought it was before,” I replied, “I mean, I chose to go to you. I remember feeling like I had that choice.”

“I actually think... That was after everyone had left, it must have been.”

“Really?”

“I mean, you didn’t start talking until after mother and father had gone.”

“Oh!”

I opened my mouth to say something else, but it kinda died on the way and I lost it.

“I feel like that sound upset me,” I said suddenly, “But it doesn’t really.” Celestia stared at me for a moment, nearly tripping over a root that was poking through the crappy dirt road. “I always remember, whenever I got really upset, that you’d be there for me, big sis. More than anyone else.”

“Yes... I did my best, but...” and then it was Celestia’s turn to flip through her thoughts. “But I’m not... your mother or anything. It actually kind’ve upset me when you’d try to call me that. Or thought that I was. Let me tell you...”

~¤~

I poked my head around the door to my father’s office. Strange men were in there, flipping through his books, analyzing them through tiny little lenses. Sometimes they dropped them to the floor. Other times they were set gently into what, to me, looked like a rickety old wheelbarrow.

I cleared my throat lightly. None of the men even offered me a glance.

“Um, Spit Shine?”

The gray pony looked up from the wheelbarrow and grinned, a wide grin.

“Oh, young Baroness! I didn’t hear you come home! How was your day, darling?”

“Well, I suppose school was fine, however...” I took a step into the room. Father’s smell, his cologne was fading from it. Now it just smelled like musty pages, old candle ash, “Father’s library as well?”

“There are still so many expenses, young Baroness!” he said, voice smooth, demeanor jovial, “Do not fret, some of these volumes will fetch a very, very good price. It might even cover the last of the tertiary fees!”

“Well...” I was hesitant, how could I not be? But I had no head for these things... and well, it was Spit Shine’s job to know the numbers. “Alright, if you say sooOOOAUGH!” I slammed myself against the doorframe, shaking. “NO LUNA!”

You stared up at me. Still a foal, still confused. no longer dressed in your nice, lacy frills, but not because you had stopped being a baby. You approached me again, lowering your head, little snout probing for milk...

“Luna! No! BAD! BAD TOUCH!” I ran down the hallway, trying to get a bit of distance, face burning a furious red as some of the stallions snickered. I turned back, and there you were still standing, tottering on your feet, staring at me.

“Luna,” I tried to explain calmly as you waddled towards me. “Woona, dear. I’m not a wet nurse. I’m not your mother. I’m your sister. Okay, Woona? Luna?” You stopped and stared up at me, they tried to walk to my side...

I stepped back.

“No, Luna.” Your face was blank. “No, sister. Sister! Not momma! Big sis!”

But you came right up to me anyway. You didn’t look for milk again... thank goodness. You dug your face into my neck, and slid down as you hugged my leg, your butt sticking up in the air.

“Mwam.”

~Θ~

“That always... always hurt me, a reminder that I couldn’t be that for you...” Celestia rolled away her bad posture, neck jutting straight up. “Sorry, I wanted to make you feel better about mother and father, but we wound up getting sidetracked, didn’t we? Do you want to hear a different story?”

“Tell me another one about the two of us.”

“...Really?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Well...”

“No, no, wait, I got something I gotta say, I think.”

I stopped for a bit, trying to get it all together. But I guess I took too long, because Celestia nudged me in the side.

“Luna?”

“Um, well...” I nodded. “I think I have the words now.” I took a really deep breath, and looked up at my big sister.
“I was really, really upset that I lost my dad. But... he never really existed in the first place. I dunno why I’m afraid of losing him. You talking about him, it reminded me... He’s just a stranger, some thing that happened in my past, somewhere. None of your stories about him helped at all.

“But Big Sis, you’ve always been there for me. I think... what I’m most afraid of is just losing you. I dunno... I think, in that last story, I called you mom, and it hurt your feelings. And I’m sorry, because, you’re more than my mom, than just a word thing. You’re my sister, teaching me important girly stuff, playing games with me, protecting me...

“If you vanished from my life... Yeesh, I dunno what I’d do. So um.”

And then my sister hugged me. Close warm and tight, dirt from her hooves rubbing off into my coat as she squeezed me, maybe too tight. I nuzzled my face into her neck fuzz, element warming against her skin, just so glad to have her back, right here with me. It’s kinda silly how just a few days made me miss her so much.

“Alright... so...!” Celestia let me go, straightening herself out again. “Another story! Though, most of the ones I have you’d remember, wouldn’t you?”


“I don’t mind! Tell it anyway!”

“Okay, so...”

~¤~Θ~¤~Θ~¤~

PreviousChapters Next