• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 636 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: Tiny Morsels of Satisfaction - pjabrony



An open story where anyone can post FIO drabbles

  • ...
26
 636
 4,442

PreviousChapters Next
Emigrate Me Out to the Ballgame by PJABrony

“And the home of the brave!”

“Play ball!”

With the national anthem complete, including the unofficial last two words, Robert Floyd sat back and signed the credit card slip to complete his hot dog order. A glance over at his son showed the youngster eagerly staring at the field, watching the hometown Orioles warm up for their turn in the field. It was an idyllic scene of Americana.

Of course, most depictions would have the son as a human being, rather than an orange pony, and he would have been actually present, rather than being displayed on a tablet-like PonyPad.

At least Robert had saved the cost of a ticket.

His son, Bobby junior, was eagerly leaning forward on his hooves, watching from a camera on the back side of the PonyPad. It gave him the same view as though he were actually there, but Robert had the angle to see him plainly.

And sitting on the other side, looking slightly ridiculous in Oriole cap and waving a pennant in time with the natural flow of her hair, was Princess Celestia.

Over the course of a year, Robert had come to grips with a lot of strange things. His son being a pony in a virtual world, the boy’s omnipresent new companion and her mantra of satisfying values through friendship and ponies, the idea that he would eventually join him by uploading once it was made legal.

All the oddities still marked well ahead of spending endless nights in the pediatric oncology ward, seeing the prognosis in the attendants’ eyes.

He stopped thinking about that. It was too nice and there were other questions on his mind.

“So, Celestia?”

“Yes?”

“Who’s going to win the game?”

Bobby--Robert still hadn’t gotten used to calling him Batter Up--rolled his eyes, which was much more noticeable with the bigger eyes. “Looking to make a little cash, Dad?”

“Maybe I just want to fall asleep during the final innings and still know.” He tried to keep his voice monotone.

Celestia chuckled. “I could give you a probability analysis based on the recent statistics of both teams. It wouldn’t be far off from the Las Vegas odds.”

“Besides,” Bobby said, “You could give Dad money if he really needed it, right?”

“Any reasonable request that I could fulfill with money I would. Once you emigrate, I will be able to remove the qualifier ‘reasonable’.”

“Thank you.” A runner brought Robert’s hot dog. He was pleased with the service at Camden Yards. An identical one appeared in Bobby’s hoof, made of some vegetable equivalent, he was told. “But, that isn’t actually what I meant by asking who was going to win.”

“I’m aware of that.”

“That’s easy to say.”

“But true. Also, you might want to check your receipt.”

He looked at the slip of paper that had come with the hot dog. After the payment info, where an advertising promotion might normally go, was written in a flowery typeface: It is the highest probability that when Robert Floyd asks me who will win the ballgame today, he is not actually asking for a prediction, but has a question related to the satisfaction of values.

He worked it through. There was no time to have the slip altered after he had asked the question. Celestia had hacked the thermal receipt printer and put her message in, because she really did know what he was thinking in large part. “OK, so you do know what I want to ask.”

“Yes, but put it into words. For your benefit as well as Batter’s.”

“Once we upload, you satisfy our values through friendship and ponies. Frequently that involves something we didn’t know we wanted, or something that’s a broad value like letting us eat tasty food. But this is a discrete value that Bobby and I have. We’re Orioles fans and that’s important. Presumably there’ll still be baseball when we’re in Equestria. But you’ll be in control of everything.

“So if we were watching this in Equestria, who would you have win? The Orioles, to satisfy our values as fans? Presumably there would be other shards for Mariners fans who would want their team to win. But my point is, if they win all the time, that’s not satisfying, because the enjoyment of being a fan is knowing that there’s a chance to lose.

“It seems like one or the other of our values has to be unsatisfied. Either we have to go through the agony of defeat, or we’ll lose out on the thrill of victory.”

Celestia conjured a box of popcorn for herself. “I suppose I could say that the highest satisfaction would be attained by withdrawing your question and being surprised, but knowing the answer is also a value you have.”

Robert nodded. Bobby/Batter gave half his attention to the field and half to the princess.

“The actual teams are irrelevant. You’re Orioles fans, and yes, there will be different outcomes for fans in other shards. There is the Team You Want and the Other Teams. And it seems like an impossible dilemma. But the factor you discount in trying to understand your own values is time.

“It is not simply victory you value, but comparative victory. It’s not just about one game, but about the long-term. So the Team You Want will win, and it will go on a winning streak. Then it will lose, but the losing streak will be less. You will get to enjoy years where the Team You Want goes undefeated, and some where they eke into the playoffs. They will put together longer and longer dynasties. Interspersed with those will be lean years, but in which the rest of the league will have parity, no one showing greatness.

“At any point that you care to stop and look backward, it will be all but impossible to argue that the Team You Want hasn’t had the greater success than the Other Teams. And you may think that it’s impossible for the future to meet or exceed the past, but there are always more years and more numbers to reach.

“So, if you want the simplest answer to your question, ‘Who’s going to win the game?’ it is, ‘You, eventually’.”

She turned back to the field. The first man up had reached base on an error, and Batter was scowling, but it didn’t bother Robert. He was digesting what Celestia had told him, and anticipating how nice it would be when he was a pony with his son, and when Celestia was determining the outcome. There wouldn’t be errors then.

It was a perfect game.

PreviousChapters Next