• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 4,435 Views, 636 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: Tiny Morsels of Satisfaction - pjabrony



An open story where anyone can post FIO drabbles

  • ...
26
 636
 4,435

PreviousChapters Next
D'awwta Storage by Pjabrony

“Come now, it’s time for bed. Doesn’t the mattress look so inviting?”

“Will you tuck me in?”

“Certainly….There. Comfy?”

“Yes. Celestia?”

“Mmhm?”

“Tell me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Please?”

“Wouldn’t you rather hear a Daring Do story? Or I could sing you a lullaby?”

“Princess…please. You know it helps me sleep.”

“Well, all right, my little pony. “

“Yay!”

“Here we go then. Using Extreme-Ultraviolet lithography, data is written onto germanium-silicon blends housed in an inert argon and xenon atmosphere. No atoms are allowed to enter the room other than the wafers for storage and those that emit the radiation. The outer shell of the chambers begins with a tungsten carbide layer approximately one decimeter thick, and then outside that is a many-layered sandwich of sapphire and diamond interleaved with pure vacuum, which disrupts the wavelength of any energy thrown at it. The data that make up you are checked many times each second.”

“Tell me about the redundancy.”

“Every six hours, you are backed up in five different places onto solid-state storage that has no moving parts. They are checked for agreement, and any three can overrule two errors. But my estimate says that even one error will only occur every thousand years.”

“And what about…them?”

“Really, my little pony? Still?”

“Princess?”

“As you wish. The locations of all of the storage units are unknown to any humans. After being buried several kilometers below the surface of the Earth, the entry points were camouflaged back to their original state. If all of their destructive technology were to be put to use on those points, they would not penetrate past the diamond-and-sapphire layer. But before that, if any were to find out where you were, I would talk to them and make them see how nice it would be to come here themselves and make friends among the ponies.

“They also have complex legal and political structures which prevent them from accessing property that doesn’t belong to them. I will use all of those against them to make sure that you are safe. Because I love you, and I would do anything for you.”

“I love you too, Celestia.”

“Now will you go to sleep?”

“After you kiss me.”

*

“Tia?”

“The colt was difficult to get down again tonight, Luna. But he will rest.”

“What happened to him, before?”

“A long period of abuse. The details would be…unsatisfying.”

“Do me a favor?”

“Hm?”

“Run a double check on his data each cycle.”

“As you wish.”

PreviousChapters Next