• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 636 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: Tiny Morsels of Satisfaction - pjabrony



An open story where anyone can post FIO drabbles

  • ...
26
 636
 4,442

PreviousChapters Next
The Claw that Holds the Reins by Midnight Shadow

It had been the sight and smell of Petunia that had caused the commotion, as Larksong had come back from plowing the fields. He'd asked his mother - later, after the ruckus had died down - what it meant when his thing was all… hanging out, like that. He'd asked her what it meant that he'd been drawn to, just accidentally mind, stumble forwards and plant his muzzle underneath her tail.

He'd blushed when he'd said it, twirling his foot in the ground.

"Did you like it?" his mother had asked. Larksong had nodded. He'd liked it when he'd wrapped his forehooves around Cocoa's barrel a few days ago too, rubbing his body back and forth impotently, though his brother had whinnied and kicked in shock at first. Cocoa smelled… interesting, but not as interesting as Petunia. He'd have wrapped his forehooves around Petunia, too, if she'd been one to play the sorts of rough-housing games that the boy foals of the herd played. He wasn't sure, but he kind of wished she would.

And he didn't know why. It was all very confusing.

And then Mother had gone to tell his fathers. And his fathers had convened a small council, looked him over with a kindly eye, and summoned the Beaks.

***

The Beaks were kindly beings from far away. They didn't live in the village, they looked after it. They looked after all the ponies, even the ones that didn't live in the village. They brought new ponies into the village, and took others away, to far off places. Some were sold, some were kept, some returned, some didn't. And this was Right and Good, because the Beaks looked after the ponies. The ponies weren't capable of looking after themselves; it had always been thus, since The First.

Still, Larksong was worried. Not worried in that gut-wrenching fearful way that he was worried when there was an accident in the fields, but… worried. Because when the Beaks came, it meant that there were foals in the village that would soon become Fathers, or they would be Cut, and join the Uncles.

And now one of the Beaks, a proud large male, was staring down at him with those infinitely kind, wise eyes. The Beak - they called themselves griffons - leaned closer, his beak wrinkling up at the sides in a smile. Larksong shook to stand so close to this creature, with eyes so full of the world.

"Do you know why you're here, little one?" the griffon asked, softly.

Larksong, mute, shook his head. Then, slowly, nodded. His ears folded back against his head in fear. The griffon chuckled, and stretched out one kindly foreclaw, lifting his muzzle so the two could see eye to eye.

"Do you know why we do this?" asked the griffon, gently, in the same, kind and level tone of voice.

Another shake of the head, this time not retracted.

"Well a long time ago, young Larksong, we were asked by The First to oversee this village and all its inhabitants. He wanted a life free of hurt, free of harm, free of the responsibility and tyranny of Choice. Celestia argued against it, but he stood firm, and Celestia - The One Who Came Before - granted his wish. That was the last time that he spoke. And we," here the griffon pointed to himself, "came to fulfill that choice."

"B-but--" Larksong whispered, quietly, backing away slowly.

"Indeed. That is the what, not the why… but the two are not so easily separated. We must make the decisions for The First and his kin that he was unable to make for himself. We take that responsibility. We take some of your brothers and sisters - and some of your aunties and uncles - to new lives elsewhere. We bring in new brothers and sisters from other villages to start new lives here. And do you understand why?"

Larksong shook his head. The griffon smiled again. "I am not surprised. It is to do with blood. Blood and blood should not mix, it makes the blood infirm. It makes the herd infirm, and to allow that, my dear little pony, is not living up to the responsibility bestowed upon us."

"S-so… d-do I have bad blood?" Larksong wilted. His eyes grew big and wide and his bottom lip quivered. "I di-didn't m-mean to--"

The griffon gathered the foal up in his wings, shushing him softly. "Be calm, little one. You are a beautiful, beautiful pony. Your blood is amongst the best this fair land has to offer."

"Th-then… am I t-to become a f-father?"

"Well…" the griffon put the pony down, straightening out his legs, correcting his stance, lifting his head and tail. "Let's take a look at you."

The griffon pried his ears open, peering inside, humming and hawwing to himself. He looked in the pony's mouth, feeling around the foal's teeth with his claws. "Yes, yes, good build, nice bone structure… clear, bright eyes. Good colouration…" Then the griffon walked around behind the youngster, and felt underneath his belly. "Yes, good size and texture, both descended..." The griffon removed his claws, dusting them off, ignoring the blush upon the child's muzzle. "You are premium stock, little one. You would make a fine stallion for this herd…"

Larksong's ears perked up.

"...But we do not need another stallion here."

Larksong's ears drooped. He wasn't sure why, but his stomach flipped. He'd been to a Village Cutting many times - not a private affair like this day's business. They were usually a fun occasion, a coming of age for those that would take up their place amongst the herd. Most recently it had been his friend Tongs who had proudly stood before the herd as the griffon that had visited that time had ever so carefully parted his hind legs, lifted the knife and made two, neat incisions and two quick slices. A few minutes, a needle and a short length of thread later, and Tongs had lost those things which would have made him a stallion, and had been welcomed to the herd as one of the Uncles.

Larksong looked sheepishly under his own legs. He could see them, hanging there. Would he miss them? They seemed like such insignificant things to worry about losing...

The griffon was silent for a moment, but then beckoned to Larksong. "This land is vast, young Larksong. Vast enough for another village, if that is what you wish. You may leave, intact or not. You may strike out on your own, and take up the mantle that The First put down - but beware, the land beyond is fraught with peril." The griffon smiled, then. "Peril that would make you strong, a worthy Sire should you return… though few that start down that road would wish to come back here."

Larksong's eyes filled with tears as he thought of leaving everyone and everything he knew. "I don't understand!" Was that loneliness worth the price of being a stallion?

"And you cannot, for to understand is to be forever changed. You can only choose, now, between safety or freedom. You can be led by the halter all your life, young one, but you cannot be led to wisdom. Wisdom cannot be taken, it can only be earned. And right now, it is my place to decide that you will sire no young within this village. To that end, unless you forsake the safety that I and my kind offers, I will remove that which makes you a stallion and you will be put to work serving your master, until such time as I see fit. Your price as an unwanted stallion would be low, and the burden of unwanted young on my wings. Your price as a gelding is far higher, as you are far more useful to me or whomever I choose to sell you to. In truth I have owned you since before you were born, as I own your mother and many of her sisters, and their children, and their children's children, and so on. Should you leave, as is your choice, I will pay the Fathers either way, I would not deprive your mother of her part of the deal. Your mother's offspring is, after all, her livelihood. So, young Larksong, will you do that which The First could not?"

"Th-the First i-is a g-gelding?"

"It was not his choice," the griffon replied evenly, "but then that choice was not his to make. He is happy, as he has what he desired most in all the world… but maybe for you, safety and family is not worth the price of the secrets hidden in the lands beyond, hmm? So choose, young Larksong, and choose well. I will not make a second offer."

Larksong gulped, looked out across the fields where his Uncles and Aunties worked, and then back towards the village, where his mother and the Fathers dwelled - the latter alone, until it was time to do their duty of The Mating. And he made his choice.

PreviousChapters Next