• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 4,449 Views, 636 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: Tiny Morsels of Satisfaction - pjabrony



An open story where anyone can post FIO drabbles

  • ...
26
 636
 4,449

PreviousChapters Next
Friendship is Bite-Size: The Roses by Midnight Shadow

The roses are lovely. The sky is the deepest of blues and the grass is soft, covered in the merest sprinkling of dew.

"Celestia?" I ask the air.

"David," she answers, immediately. I turn around, and there she is.

"Celestia!" I cry out, running towards her across the soft, dewy grass. I stop, a few feet in front of her. I usually run to embrace her, I know that, but something... something has made me stop. "What's wrong?"

"Do you know where you are?" she asks.

I nod. "Your garden. You said I'd see the rest of Equestria, some day. When can I?"

"Not quite yet," she says. She looks... sad.

"Not yet?" I sigh. That makes me sad. Being sad is painful. But I shouldn't be sad, I decide. The roses are lovely, and the sky is the deepest of blues. The grass is so soft here, covered in the merest sprinkling of dew.

"David," calls the white alicorn. "David, I've brought some people to see you."

"Who?" I ask. I look around, and there are two people there. I trot up to them. When I finally realize what's wrong, I laugh. They're still human. I'm a pony. "Hey Mommy, hey Daddy!" I call. They're my parents. I cock my head to one side. I shouldn't call them that, I'm not a baby.

"Hello, son," says Mom. She looks sad, too. Dad looks sad, but he's trying to hide it more. They shouldn't be sad. I try to tell them about the roses. The roses are lovely. The sky is the deepest of blues and the grass is soft, covered in the merest sprinkling of dew.

"David," says a white winged unicorn. I turn to look. She seems very sad indeed. Her eyes sparkle in the sunlight. Her eyes are lovely, like the roses. The roses are lovely. The sky is the deepest of blues and the grass is soft, covered in the merest sprinkling of dew.

"David," says Mom. I turn to look at her. "There... was an accident."

"How much time have we got?" asks Dad.

"His body died, twenty minutes ago. I'm sorry, there was... nothing I could do. Not with the laws as they currently stand."

"Is he in any pain?" asks Dad.

"No."

Mom bursts into tears. "Why didn't we bring you here faster?"

"You did what you thought was right," the large, white, winged, unicorn replies. "The same laws I cannot circumvent were designed by people who think they are right. You did what you could, and I did what I could, but Germany was a long trip. There's not much time, so use it wisely."

Not much time? I think, saddened. I've only just got here. It will be sad to leave. It's so beautiful here. The roses are lovely. The sky is the deepest of blues and the grass is soft, covered in the merest sprinkling of dew.

"I'm sorry, David. The accident, the infection..."

These are just words. It doesn't matter. I love this woman. I run and embrace her. She pats my head, awkwardly.

"Always remember, we love you, son," says the other one.

The large white one tosses her head, hiding the sparkling diamond raindrops in her eyes. "His mind was too fractured, the procedures allowed me were too fragile to reconstruct his psyche. He's looping as his pattern starts to degrade, and eventually, it will... fail."

"What's going to happen?"

"We will be here a short while," says the white one. "And then it will be time to say goodbye."

Goodbye is a sad word. I don't like being sad. So I look at the roses. The roses are lo

PreviousChapters Next