• Published 4th Jul 2013
  • 1,787 Views, 110 Comments

A Pony's Guide to the Multiverse - ProfCharles



During a climactic battle with Sombra, Twilight's Planeswalker spark ignites, flinging her far from home. Lost in a world she could never have imagined, will she be able to overcome the many challenges she will face on her journey home?

  • ...
2
 110
 1,787

The real Chapter 2

Authors note—after some complaints constructive feedback, I have decided to completely remove the whole Twilight becoming a Vampony bit. It didn't fit the the story in any way, shape or form. So without further adieu, I give you the real chapter 2!

---

Twilight groaned as a shaft of sunlight struck her eyes, and she rolled over in bed, burying her face into the pillow. Her head ached and her throat was dry, and the bed she was in was soft and comfortable.

“Good morning,” a voice Twilight didn’t recognise said. Waking up fully, Twilight remembered fighting Sombra, and drifting through that weird void, before landing at the feet of some strange creature.

Slowly, Twilight raised her head and looked at the speaker. Across the room—a luxurious and ornate bedroom, filled with expensive red silks and golden curios—sat a creature she had never seen before. It was bipedal, and tall—easily as tall as Celestia. It was swathed in thick, black clothing, hiding most of it’s physiology, but from what Twilight could see it resembled a skinny minotaur, yet there was a certain confidence in it’s pose, as if it was more powerful than most of it’s peers. It’s face... Twilight had seen nothing like it before. It didn’t have a muzzle or a beak, instead having a small, pointed snout in the middle of a flat, hairless face, topped by a short, white mane. Two piercing, red eyes sat on it’s face, and Twilight shivered as she realised that they were a hunter’s eyes, a killer's eyes, and it’s casual smile, filled with predatory teeth, only confirmed this.

Twilight shrank back under the creatures gaze. “What are you?” she asked, trembling.

“Ah. Now that is an interesting question,” the creature said. “What am I? Once, I was but a mortal man—”

“You’re immortal? What’s a man?” Twilight immediately asked, her curiosity overcoming her fear. The creature glared at her, clearly angered by her interruption. Twilight shrank back even further under his gaze.

“A man,” the creature said, slowly and deliberately, “is the male of the species Homo Sapiens, or Human, in the common tongue. I, however, only resemble a Human superficially—five thousand, nine hundred years ago I was changed into a Vampire, a blood sucking creature of the night. I trust you have heard of those?”

“That sounds like Vamponies,” Twilight said nervously, worming her way deeper into the bed. Five thousand, nine hundred years! He's not quite as old as the princesses, but that's still impressive. And if the stories about Vamponies—or Vampires in this case—are true... “You’re not going to drink my blood, are you?”

Sorin chuckled dryly to himself. “No, no—Only the blood of humans can quench my thirst. Which leads me to my question—what are you?”

“I’m a pony,” Twilight replied. “An Alicorn Pony to be exact, although I used to be a Unicorn Pony, before I ascended.”

“A pony? Why not a horse?” he asked.

Twilight gasped in response. “How dare you!”

The Vampire raised a hand—Twilight noticed that it was very thin and dexterous—and spoke softly. “I’m sorry, I did not mean to offend you. And it’s your turn to ask a question, Miss Alicorn Pony.”

“Um...” Twilight thought for a moment, before realising she didn’t know this creature’s name. “Who are you?”

“A question most would have started with. My name is Sorin Markov,” he said, his tone turning dry, “Lord of all Innistrad.” Twilight opened her mouth, but Sorin wagged a finger at her. “Ah ah, it’s my turn to ask a question. Who are you?”

“I’m Twilight Sparkle,” she replied. “Actually, my full title is Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, but that’s a bit of a mouthful, so most ponies just call me Twilight.”

Sorin gave a bow. “I didn’t realise I was in the presence of royalty, Your Highness.”

Twilight blushed, and looked off to one side. “It’s mostly a ceremonial title. I won’t have any official responsibilities for a few more years. I only became a princess recently, you see. Um, you said you were the Lord of Innistrad? Is that where we are? I’ve never heard of it before, and I’ve studied geography extensively. How did I even get here?”

“That’s several questions. But yes, we are currently in the plane of Innistrad, specifically the province of Stensia, in my home, Markov Manor,” Sorin said, walking over to a window obscured by thick, red curtains and throwing them open. “Well, it’s my Grandfather’s home, really, but he’s away on... business.”

Sunlight shone into the dark room, causing Twilight to flinch backwards, but her eyes quickly adjusted to the light. Slowly climbing out of bed, Twilight walked over to the window and looked out. Stark, jagged mountains filled her view, throwing shadows across each other. The sky was filled with dark, foreboding clouds, with an angry red sun shining down through it all. Markov Manor was perched high on one of these mountains, a sheer drop from the window. At the base of the mountain, a small, rural village was located, shrouded in shadow. In the distance a walled city on top of a hill could be seen.

“I’m not in Equestria, any more, am I?” Twilight asked.

“No,” Sorin said. “When you were wounded, your Planeswalker spark must have ignited, flinging you across the Blind Eternities from your home plane to this one.”

“Planeswalker Spark? Blind Eternities? I don’t understand,” Twilight said. “Wait, my injuries!” She looked down at herself, patting her body. “They’re gone!”

“Yes, you are quite lucky to have landed before me,” Sorin said. “That poison was very powerful. There are few with the talent, skill and experience to deal with something that potent.”

“Well, then, Mr Markov, I thank you for your help,” Twilight said, bowing.

Sorin simply nodded his head in reply. "As for your other questions, the Blind Eternities is the realm between realms—you must have seen it when you traveled here."

"You mean that weird void? The one with all the spheres?"

Sorin nodded. "Yes. Those were the planes of the multiverse—Innistrad is one such plane, as is your home plane, and countless others."

"What about the Planeswalker spark?" Twilight asked. "What is that?"

"The spark is a fundamental part of our souls, and is what lets beings like you and me walk between the planes. It is a gift from the Blind Eternities, and protects us from the energies within. Only one in a million are born with it, and only one in a million of those can prove themselves worthy and ignite it."

Twilight bounced into the air, hovering at Sorin's eye level. "That's so amazing—how does one Planeswalk?"

The Vampire smiled. "You just need to concentrate on the Blind Eternities, and take a step forwards. Nothing can stop you from walking, and can walk from anywhere—there is no cage or jail that can keep you in one place, except for those in your own mind." He spoke that last sentence in almost a whisper, so low that Twilight almost couldn't hear it.

"That's amazing!" Twilight said. "I now have first hoof evidence of Coin Toss's many worlds theory! I could write a paper on this—no, a book, no! A thesis! This could revolutionise... Everything! We could make contact with other worlds! By the Sun and Moon, I've met somepony from another world!"

Twilight began to kick her legs excitedly in a poor approximation of a dance, bewildering Sorin.

"I'm gonna write a thesis! I'm gonna write a thesis!" she sang, confusing the poor Vampire next to her even more.

Sorin coughed gently, and Twilight came to a stop, blushing furiously. "I got a bit carried away there, didn't I?"

"Just a little bit," Sorin replied. "But I wouldn't tell anyone you are a Planeswalker—most people tend to fear and distrust us, and for good reason."

"What? Why? Why wouldn't people trust us?" Twilight asked, confused.

Sorin sighed. "Because for every Planeswalker who fights to protect people, there are two that fight for personal power. And when you can go anywhere at a whim, it is hard to tie down roots—many walkers become apathetic to the problems of the locals."

"That's terrible! Power should be used responsibly, to help ponies, not for selfish reasons!" Twilight said, anger boiling over.

"I disagree—power should be used however you desire to use it, no more, no less. And if somebody tries to interfere, you stop them. By any means necessary."

Despite herself, Twilight shuddered. There was a hard edge, a coldness to Sorin's voice that Twilight had only heard in a few others before—Sombra, Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon.

"How can you think that?" Twilight asked.

Sorin stared at her. "It is a fact of life. To believe otherwise is the height of naivety."

Twilight shook her head. "But that sort of philosophy is not only self destructive, but it conflicts with the Elements of Harmony."

"The Elements of Harmony?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "You know; Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity and Laughter." Looking at his blank expression, Twilight came to an awful realisation. "You don't know, do you? You've never heard of the Elements of Harmony."

"I've never heard of your plane—Equestria, I believe you called it? Let alone your religion."

Twilight shook her head. "Equestria is just the nation I come from. We call the world Concordia, after the Creator-Goddess."

"Concordia... I can't say I've heard of it." He frowned, looking pensive. "That is quite unusual—it is a rare plane indeed if I haven't heard of it. But you were telling me about these... elements?"

"Yes, of course." Twilight settled in to what her friends called 'lecture mode'. "Concordia is founded on five principles—Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity and Laughter, which in turn are bound together by the sixth element, Magic. By not only exhibiting these traits, but also encouraging them in other ponies, it forms bonds of friendship, love and harmony, binding our society together and strengthening it. These bonds then become the source of all magic, regardless of race."

Sorin raised a skeptical eyebrow. "You believe that friendship is magic?"

"I don't believe it, I know it," Twilight said. "I've spent the last three years studying the interactions between friendships and magic first hoof, and the link is as clear as Celestia's day."

"And where does mana fit into this 'Elements of Harmony' creed of yours?"

Twilight paused, uncertainty etched on her face. "Mana? I... I've never heard of mana."

"You know, the energy spells are crafted from. White mana, blue mana, black mana, red mana and green mana? Comes from the land around us?"

Twilight shook her head. "I don't know what you're talking about—magic comes from within us, not from the land."

Twilight turned her head, her horn glowing with a magenta light. Moments later, a similar glow surrounded the four poster bed, lifting it into the air. Twilight rotated it once, before turning back to Sorin. "See?"

Sorin walked over to the bed in silent shock, staring at the light. Slowly, he pushed his hand into the levitation field, causing Twilight to yelp.

"Don't do that—it feels weird," she admonished.

Sorin quickly pulled his arm back. "Sorry, it's just... I've never seen anything like this. This is certainly not mana. Magic that not only comes from within you, but is fuelled by friendships? I don't know what to say."

"Well, you could start by telling me what mana is," Twilight said, setting down the bed.

"Certainly," Sorin replied. “Mana is the life force that binds the differently planes of reality together. Where mana is plentiful, life thrives. Where it is absent, life withers and dies. It originates in the Blind Eternities, where it flows through leylines into the planes themselves. The plane with the most leylines is called the nexus, and is the lynchpin the multiverse revolves around. The current nexus is the plane of Dominaria. Because of its importance, it is often referred to as the wheel.

"When these leylines bisect certain environments, one of the five colours of mana is created—plains create white mana, islands create blue mana, swamps make black, mountains, red and finally forests make green.

"Each colour has its own specific identity, a series of traits that limit the types of spells that it can be used to create.

"White mana is associated with order, morality and control. It’s symbol is the sun. Spells cast with white mana focus on strengthening the power of the group, even at the cost of individual freedom.

"Next is blue mana. Blue is the colour of knowledge, logic and technology. It’s symbol is a drop of water. Spells cast with blue mana seek to understand the nature of the world, and to manipulate it for the benefit of the caster.

"After blue comes black, the colour of death and decay. It is symbolised by a skull. Black mana is selfish, greedy and amoral. However, it is not evil in the strictest sense of the term. It endorses personal might and individuality, unlike white, which values the group over the self. For black, might makes right—but it doesn't care how it is used. I favour black mana."

"Why am I not surprised, mister 'use power how I wish'," Twilight deadpanned. Sorin merely smiled in response.

"Next is red, the colour of fire, passion and freedom. Red mages often act on impulse before thinking. Its symbol is a flame, and many red spells revolve around fire. The typical red solution to a puzzle is to smash it—a crude, by highly effective solution.

"The final colour is green, colour of nature, of trees and wild beasts. Green mana focuses on primordial strength, but also on growth, and the cycle of nature, as well as the creatures of the wild co-operating together.”

"Magic coming from the land... that sounds amazing. And terrifying. You said that where mana is absent, life withers and dies. Is it possible to completely drain an area of mana?" Twilight asked

"Yes, but it takes many years of intense magical battles for the effect to be noticeable. It was millennia before the plane of Dominaria began to fall apart from the constant warfare over its leylines."

"So it's safe? I won't destroy the land if I draw upon its mana?" Twilight asked. Sorin nodded in reply. "Then I would love to study it—have got any books on mana?”

Sorin smiled. “Even better—I can teach you.”

Twilight’s squeal of joy shattered the windows.

---

Card unlocked!

Sorin Markov, Vampire Lord 4BB
Planeswalker—Sorin MR
+1; Sorin, Vampire Lord deals 1 damage to target creature or player and you gain 1 life.
-4; Destroy target creature. If that creature dies this way, put a black Vampire creature token onto the battlefield. Its power is equal to that creature's power and its toughness is equal to that creature's toughness.
-6; You get an Emblem with “Whenever you gain life, target opponent loses that much life.”
[4]

Author's Note:

So heres the new and improved chapter two. Instead of mopey, emo vampire Twilight, we have adorkable Twilight (who, quite frankly, is best Twilight). A bit of info dumping, both on MtG magic, and Equestrian headcanon magic. There's a lot more of both, and much of the Equestrian stuff is going to be relevent, so hold onto your hats.

For those that care about these things, here's a reprint of Mirror of Truths:
Mirror of truths 4
Artifact U
4,T; Destroy target creature. If that creature dies this way, its controller puts a colourless Reflection creature token onto the battlefield. Its power is equal to that creature's power and its toughness is equal to that creature's toughness.