• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 568 Views, 15 Comments

Tales from the Equestrian Arena - Bishibosh the Shaman



It is months after the changling invasion of Canterlot, and Celestia is pulling her mane trying to pay for the repairs of her city. Her and her sister just about raise the tax rate when a strange pony requests an audience with the princesses...

  • ...
2
 15
 568

Chapter 1

Tales from the Equestrian Arena
Chapter One

"MARES AND GENTLECOLTS! WELCOME TO THE GRIFTPAN COLOSSEUM!" The loud voiced announcer shouted through his voice amplification spell. "TODAY WE WILL BE SHOWING YOU THE MATCH YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! BOTH REPRESENTATIVES OF TWO DIFFERENT SPECIES! TODAY THEY TAKE UP ARMS AGAINST EACH OTHER TO PROVE WHO THE TRULY DOMINANT RACE IS!"

The crowd cheered and screeched as the voice echoed through the structure. Griffon and pony alike flocked to the capital city of Griftpan, eager to watch the fight. The energy collected in the arena was thick in the air. It was a grudge match after all, much more than that in reality. A grudge match between an earth pony and a griffon.

"ENTERING FROM THE EAST GATE; GLADIATOR FROM HIS YOUTH, ADOPTED INTO THE ARENA FROM ARABIAN SLAVERS, WITH A STUNNING TWENTY THREE STRAIGHT VICTORIES THIS SEASON ALONE! THE ONE AND ONLY, BLOOD DRAGON!"

A lone earth pony stepped out into the dusty arena. His body clad in shiny steel armor, glittering silver in the sun. The flank of his armor coated in red, the design shaping into a dragon's head. Mounted on the side of his armor sat a scabbard holding Blood Dragon's weapon of choice, a simple broad sword. The lone pony stood in silence as the crowd cheered. The announcer's voice blared through the arena once more.

"NOW ENTERING OVER THE WESTERN WALL; AN EX-KNIGHT FOR THE GRIFFON MILITARY, REMOVED FROM SERVICE FOR BRUTALITY! COMING BACK FROM A SLOW START OF THREE DEFEATS BUT OVERCOMING WITH A WHOPPING SEVENTEEN VICTORIES! THE FIERCE, THE SAVAGE, THE UNHYGIENIC! TALON SLASHER!"

The crowd cheered once again as the over sized griffon swooped in the arena. The bird barely wore any armor save for wing guards that were required for pegasi and griffon alike. Talon never like the safety rules the arena enforced. He wielded a massive spear that rested on his back. His massive size was dwarfed by the spear itself. The griffon landed on the dusty ground opposite of the earth pony. They exchanged glances as they awaited the call to battle.


Three months, that's how long it has been since the changelings and their Queen invaded. The damage they wrecked upon the city was less than major, but enough to merit concerns of safety for it's citizens. Celestia put it upon herself to balance the funds so that the city could be fully repaired, but had no idea just how much damage had been caused. What wasn't externally damaged, it was internally and even though nopony got hurt... Some things just don't get easy. The white alicorn paced the room back and forth trying to figure how to fund the repairs. They had to be done less somepony got hurt or worse. Many of the wealthy families would donate to the cause, but would it be enough is another question. Celestia sighed, she had been awake most the night contemplating the answer and it was nearly time for her court session.

Celestia was about to step towards the door when it opened, and in walked the dark blue alicorn she called her sister. Luna also looked as if she had gotten no sleep. She was told not to worry about it, but Celestia knew her sister's heart and knew she wouldn't let go of a challenge so easily. Her sister's piercing gaze seemed to silence the room, if it hadn't already been silent to begin with.

"How goes the funding sister, I have prepared a few plans myself. None of which you will agree with, but in a sire situation could be leaned on," Luna mentioned.
"Sister, I will not resort to overly taxing our people. They have suffered enough through the invasion," Celestia knew what her sister's plans entailed.
"But if we do not provide a solution, will they not suffer more for it?" Luna inquired.
"I know sister, but if there is another solution that nopony should suffer. I will find it..."

The two sisters argued and debated the matter for hours into the day. They tackled every angle of the matter, Luna tried to push the idea of increasing a tax but Celestia kept turning it down. After hours of debate, both the sisters were mentally exhausted. They were just about to call it for the day when a single guard stepped into the courtroom.

"Your highness's, A business pony has requested a presence before you," The guard pony stated.
"Sister, do you really want to take this after all we have been through today?" Luna complained, hoping to get a nap before her nightly duties.
"No, I don't but this shouldn't take but a moment. Who knows, perhaps he has our answers," Celestia smiled at the shallow hope. "Send them in please."
"At once."

The guard shot a salute as he turned towards the door and stepped out. Celestia watched the door in silence for a moment before the same guard opened the doors again but instead of him, another pony stepped into the courtroom. Luna noted his gangling appearance as well as his nontraditional garb. It seemed familiar but she was unsure of how. The pony spoke with a collected, yet refined accent.

"Ahh greetings your royal highness's, I am Jaque Claude Van Regalley the Twenty First. Owner and proprietor of the world famous Colosseum of Saddle Arabia" The pony knelt on a single foreleg as he bowed his head.

"Greeting to you as well Jaque Claude, I hope I may call you such for the sake of time," Celestia smiled as she began.

"Of course! Of course! You will find me a hard pony to offend your royal highness," Jaque responded with a grin.

"That is good to hear, now onto your business you wanted to speak with us about," Luna started this time.

"Ah yes, as I said I am the owner and proprietor of the world famous Colosseum of Saddle Arabia. I own arenas across the world that provide both entertainment for the people and funds for the economy. My latest achievement was establishing a branch in the Griffon Capital city of Griftpan."

"Impressive, I have heard rumor of the griffon kingdom accepting arena style combat into their society. I assume your current project involves establishing your 'Colosseum' here in Equestria," Celestia spoke, lowering her friendly tone to a more serious one. "Unfortunately, this is peaceful land. On top of that, we are in a financial crisis. I don't believe we could afford the construction of such a site."

"There is no worries for the cost of construction, for I am willing to pay for both construction and the lot should you choose to grant me permission," Jaque continued with his smile, Celestia inwardly congratulated him on his guile. "Alas, I am well aware of the controversy such a project may ensue, hence why I now say that if you have any doubt of the moral effect I may have on your community simply say the word and I will dismiss myself from your beautiful country."

"And how exactly will this... arena aid in our part Mr. Jaque?"

"You see my lady, the arena is a growing... phenomenon! I watched in many cities as it started, many ponies and griffons were wary of the idea. However they attended a match and were swooned by the romance and action that is the arena!"

"You speak as though there is such... feeling in arranged combat..." Luna squinted.

"Yes, there is! The arena allows combatants from around the world to see both the reality of this violent world and to fulfill the desire to watch competition. And I assure you princess's, the arena is completely safe."


Blood Dragon lept away as the griffon launched his spear head directly at him. Although it missed, it planted itself into the ground which Talon used to pull him towards his prey. The griffon rushing towards Blood, the pony was left to pull his blade and block the barrage of talon slashes that would rend any normal fighter.

"No way you can block all of my attacks little pony, better give up now before you get hurt!" Talon growled through a grin as he slashed at the pony's broad sword.

Blood knew the griffon was right, but he had no intention on giving up. He watched the strikes as the hit, focusing his thoughts, he could feel the individual cuts in the air. While blocking each hit he took careful measure to remember each strike before...

"What's the matter little pony, can't stand to give up, Is your pride too strong? I'll help you with th-URK!" Talon knelt over in pain, conscious enough to look at the strike that silenced him.

His sharp eyes followed a pure white armored foreleg that buried into his feathers. A clear gut shot that knocked nearly all the air from his lungs. He dizzily looked back up towards the pony who had turned around and opened his beak to speak. Instead, his beak was shut by a pair of hooves smashing into both his face and his chest simultaneously. Talon's vision went black, and the last thing he remembered was thinking... Damn this dirt is cold...

Author's Note:

A new story to work on yay! The idea came to me while driving home from class, and I figured I should try something that isn;t a game crossover and see how it goes. The chapter seemed a little slow, but that's what I got you guys for! Let me know what can be done to make it better! and as always I hope you enjoyed it!