• Published 4th Jul 2013
  • 2,655 Views, 285 Comments

Mark of the Wyld - DarkParable



Take a nerdy gamer, swap his gender, turn him into a worgen deathknight, and drop him in Equestria. This is what you get.

  • ...
9
 285
 2,655

Halloween special: A glimpse of the future.

The moon hung turgid and heavy over the decrepit trees of the Everfree, not that one could even tell in the depth of the forest. Little to no light permeated the thick, and sickly looking, branches of the dark and foreboding tree. This mattered little to me, and even less so to the corpses at my paws. I couldn't help but crack a small smile as I watched my latest victim bleed slowly, corpse cooling in the icy mists rolling off my body. That smile turned into something depraved as I crooked a finger at the corpse, watching in perverse pleasure as it rose slowly to its paws and turned towards me. It's eyes glazed over in death and broken jaw hanging slack. "Good manticore..." I said softly, "So much more obedient in death aren't you... Join the others."

A simple verbal command was all it took for my latest pet to join its undead fellows in the small throng of shambling, shuffling zombies behind me, a rather respectable horde if I do say so myself. As it passed I wrenched Pravus from it's neck and resumed my march for home... Or what would be my new home anyways.

I suppose I should be slapping myself with some form of newspaper and yelling "NO!" at what I had in mind, after all it was cliched and over done in fan fiction... Be that as it may, the old castle in the center of this forest would make for an excellent necropolis. Secluded, dark, and with a history of dark magic. That would please my traveling companion greatly... As annoying as I found the little bitch, Sunset Shimmer made for a decent lich. It helped of course that I had her on a tight leash in the form of her soul jar. If she tried anything I'd snuff her out without a second thought... Or just maybe I'd sever her connection with that pitiful corpse of her's and show her why she shouldn't have messed with me... Speaking of my little pet bitch-lich...

"You know... Mistress..." I could hear the distaste in her voice at that word, and it brought a cold smile to my muzzle, "The princesses aren't going to ignore this like they did last time... I mean really, slaughtering a small village is one thing, desecrating their old home is another. You've got to be an idio-" That's as far as I let her get.

A flick of a finger and her words were cut off with a resounding scream of exquisite pain. It sent a small shiver of pleasure down my spine to know she was screaming for me like that... Even if she didn't want to.

Knowing full well she could hear my every word despite the ear splitting shriek bubbling from her half rotted lips I spoke softly in her ear. "What did I tell you about disrespect little mare? Here I thought you'd have learned your lesson after I killed you the first time." Chuckling softly I let her off the hook and the sudden silence was deafening. It was pleasant knowing that it didn't last long before a soft sob of the deepest hateful sorrow rent it not soon after it had begun.

A nod of satisfaction later and a flick of the wrist sent Sunset scuttling back where she belonged, with the other pets.

"You've learned so well my wielder, so well indeed... When may I taste the blood of those who dare oppose you again? I do so crave the caresses of their final breaths.

Laughing I stroked Pravus' haft and stayed quiet. No reason to answer that question really. Not when it was far more interesting to watch the path ahead as I picked my way through the forest.

Now anyone who's ever watched My Little Pony could tell you all about the Everfree, and they'd be sort of right. Dark, foreboding, and with a life of its own. That's where they'd stop, but there was so much more here for my senses to rejoice in. The feel of death and the dark presence of old sorcery permeated the very air here. I could feel the myriad of small corpses beneath my paws as I walked, everything from woodland creatures to the bones of long dead foals. Foolish children, wandering into such a dangerous place, eh? Oh well, I'd be back for them later most likely. Small skeletons made for disturbing guards in a way that your average zombie just couldn't match. Besides, their little souls deserved the peaceful embrace of my cloak as much as any other soul.

Aside from the feel of the place there was the flora itself. The trees, much like the show had... well, shown, were adorned with horrid faces. It seems it hadn't just been Nightmare's magic warping the place in effort to scare off Twilight and company. It was disturbing the way the eyes on those faces seemed to follow me as I moved past them and more than once I saw a few branches bend in effort to reach for me. It was amusing watching them recoil when they got too close to my icy body. A few of my shamblers were not so lucky. Every now and again one of the trees would catch one, pull it close, and devour it whole. I only knew because I felt each spark, the little core of necromantic magic, keeping them animated was snuffed out and consumed by a malevolent force. One I found myself wanting to harness for my own use.


It took another few hours before my destination came into sight, and it looked even better than I had thought it would.

"Home sweet home..." I muttered to myself as I continued on, plans rolling though my head and a feral grin on my face for all to see... Soon this place would be grand once more, but for an entirely different reason. It was from here I would rebuild my cult, raise my army, and from here I would eventually launch my campaign to wipe life from the world. Kill them all and let the peace of death settle over the land of Equestria... But first I had a lot of work to do here... The dead don't raise themselves after all.

Author's Note:

This little preview is set a full year down the road for Rune. A lot can happen in a year and a geed deal was left unsaid in this little sneak peek at my future plans. A few things I didn't mention here were her meeting Luna face to face, acquiring a new set of armor, and of course how Sunset came back to Equestria... and just how she came to serve our antihero.

Regular updates will resume before to long. In the meantime a happy (if a day early at the time this is going up) All Hallows Eve. For my Druidic brothers and sisters, I hope your Samhain finds you well.