• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 860 Views, 5 Comments

A Crystal shattered - CalebH



More than a thousand years ago Luna and Celestia banished the evil King Sombra. Shortly after Luna fell to the darkness of Nightmare Moon but that's just a coincidence right?

  • ...
3
 5
 860

Epilogue

“Luna, please, go out and find some fresh air, be rid of this library for a while,” Celestia pleaded with her sister.

It had been three years since Celestia and Luna had given up on reversing the spell and bringing back her sister’s kingdom. The elements of harmony had abandoned her. Kindness, Generosity, and Honest, once blazing jewels were now little more than cold orbs of stone with their ancient symbols carved upon them. The only hope that remained was that such a spell would eventually fade. It was only meant to bind one pony not an entire city so there would be some limit to how long it would hold. Luna poured herself into books to pass the time but her increasingly disheveled appearance gave testament to the tensions building inside her.

“Will you walk with me, Tia?”

“I can’t tonight Luna there is an important meeting,” Celestia felt guilty for not being able to make time for her sister but running a country and free time rarely went hoof in hoof. Luna’s face fell and she mumbled something that sounded like ‘I understand’ before burying her nose back in her book. Celestia excused herself quietly before heading to her meeting.

---

“I can’t tonight Luna there’s an important meeting,” Luna heard her sister say.

She never has time she doesn’t even care. Luna was thankful her nose was buried in a book and her sister didn’t see the expression that accompanied those thoughts. “I understand,” she mumbled holding her breath until her sister had left, “I used to have important meetings too.” Luna knew it was foolish but she didn’t care. She couldn’t sleep because of the nightmares and so her paper thin hold on her emotions grew weaker with every waking moment. Even burying herself in books had lost its insulating effect.

She tossed aside the tome in front of her in frustration. Maybe a walk would do some good. She stepped outside of the castle unnoticed. No one cares about a queen with no country, she thought as she left.

Luna desperately needed somepony to care. She looked up into the night sky hoping to find solace among the stars. She had arrayed them beautifully tonight, hoping that if she made the night lovely enough her sister’s subjects would stop ignoring her. They did not acknowledge her as the mistress of the night or as a fellow pony. She had tried to walk among them in her sister’s court but hearing a whisper of, “banished her own kingdom,” was enough to end that idea.
Now she just wandered the streets alone, so alone. Luna was desperate to find anypony out under her shining night, but they shunned her children just as they shunned her. Luna did not know where she finally stopped walking. There was nopony out to care if she was outside their house, nopony to care that her heart was breaking, and nopony even to share a kind word.

The stillness of the beautiful night was broken only by the weeping of the one who made it. There was nopony awake to hear and offer solace. If some kind soul had heard and offered up the company that misery so loves then perhaps the long dormant spell would not have broken its bonds and enslaved the night princess, but the will that kept it at bay was broken.

Luna felt the spell awaken within her. It was meant to fragment a pony’s soul to such a degree that they could not think for themselves but she would not allow it. She fought to erase the spell from her. Even with her will broken Luna was quickly gaining the upper hoof. Then she felt it, her heart seemed to rip in two. She finished off the spell before it could do any more damage but it had already split off and infected her most dangerous part, the corner of her heart where she buried her envy and hurt.

Luna woodenly walked back to the castle in the predawn light as the two halves of her heart battled for control. Her darker half was winning foothold after foothold by the time Luna met Celestia in the tower for their ritual she had lost and could only observe as her anger infected with Sombra’s hate took control and turned on her sister.

Comments ( 2 )

Luna ruling the crystal empire is new.

i would love to know what luna feels about celestia letting cadance and shining armor rule her country

Login or register to comment