• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 24,113 Views, 1,895 Comments

My Little Naruto: Friendship is--WHERE AM I!? - DragonLS



Naruto's life is given a second chance in the world of ponies... beyond his will.

  • ...
85
 1,895
 24,113

CH14: Hospital Visit Pt. 1 (Revised)

Special Thanks:

Editors: DaMobbs

*****

Rest No More, for you are Awake

A visitor is coming for Pete’s sake

A small explanation, and it isn’t done

For this is just the first part, thus number one.

*****

Chapter 14: Hospital Visit Pt. 1

Naruto started, shooting up from from the bed with his eyes wide open in shock. His breath was ragged as if he had just ran a hundred mile marathon in an hour. His heart was beating just as fast, threatening to jump out of his chest. Sweat poured from just about every pore on his body making him damp and cold. Starting to calm down, he glanced around the new room he found himself in to find that everything was a shade of blur. A couple seconds of rapidly blinking his eyes gave him his first clear picture of the surroundings.

Looks like I’m in the hospital again, he thought. The walls were a bland egg-shell white, devoid of anything eye-catching except for the wall clock. To his right he saw a metal chair positioned below the window through which he could see the clouds floating by. Up against the bed was a small table made out of what he assumed to be wood. He turned his head to the left to find a rolling table stocked full of bandages, medicine, and other tools that he assumed were for medical use. Beyond that, a brown door stuck out against the white of the room on which a clipboard hung against. If he wasn’t in a hospital, then he was crazy.

As he sat up, he cringed and clenched his teeth in pain, falling back onto the soft bed with a small whimper. His body was covered in a bright, white bed sheet but what was under said sheet was what interested him right now. He threw them off to find that his entire upper torso, from the base of his neck to his flank, was wrapped up tightly in bandages. On the parts not mummified with wrappings, smaller patches and gauze were found here and there mostly along the legs and forelegs. Absentmindedly, he rubbed the side of his face with an un-bandaged hoof only to flinch slightly when he found something covering his cheek.

Naruto sighed, laying his head back against the pillow. Something felt off though, like something was missing but he couldn’t put his finger on it. He jolted up once more only to fall back against the bed in pain as the realization hit him. His headband. Where had it gone? One more glance at the room revealed that it was lying on the bedside table, wrapped up neatly and thoroughly cleaned. However, he didn’t see his jacket anywhere in sight. He sighed deeply.

“So the fight with the Manticore was real…I guess I was in worse shape than I thought…” He said to himself. The fight with the Manticore… it was more brutal than he expected. “If I hadn’t cut off that Manticore’s wings, maybe I wouldn’t even be in such a sorry shape... heh...”, Naruto chuckled. “This place ain’t as boring as I expected. That Manticore gave me a run for my money, or bits in this case.”

As he conversed with himself, he slowly pushed his upper body off the bed into a sitting position. A slight pain went through his flank as he sat up. His first thought was of annoyance at how even his butt was injured until he realized that it was just his tail being compressed in a weird way. Using his fore-hooves, he lifted himself off the bed very slightly, sucking in a breath to compensate for the pain, until his tail popped out from underneath the covers. He sighed once more, closing his eyes momentarily in relief before opening them once again. He blinked. Where there should have been only one tail, there was now two.

“So I really did grow another tail… and then… ah!” The memories of Princess came flooding into his brain, everything from finding himself in the Kyuubi’s prison to the scent of strawberries and lemons. He pounded his hoof on the bed, sending a sharp needle of pain through his torso. A pained sigh escaped his lips. “Princess… so that really wasn’t just a dream… Ugh…” If he could have moved, he’d have gotten up and banged his head against the wall but that was most certainly out of the question. So he face-hoofed.

“Princess… and the Kyuubi… If that’s not messed up, I don’t know what is…” He mumbled, trying to get the nasty thoughts out of his head. As if on cue, hoof steps came from the his left, although slightly muffled. His eyes darted towards the door as it swung open to reveal a white, female pony. She had on a white doctor’s coat with a matching nurse’s hat, a red cross surrounded by four pink hearts emblazoned on the front. His eyes traveled to her flank to see that her cutie mark was the same symbol, a red cross and four hearts. Her pink hair stood out quite nicely amongst all the white themed clothing and just about everything else in the room. The red cross pony looked over at Naruto before breaking out into a smile.

“Well, good morning Naruto. I take it you’re doing well?”

“Um… I could be better. I’m in a bed, wrapped in bandages, and I can barely move without cringing in pain. That aside, I’m fine. Who are you?”, asked Naruto but the mare merely smiled back.

“I’m Nurse Redheart and I’ll be your primary caretaker during your time here at Ponyville General.”, said Redheart. So what Naruto thought was right; he was in a hospital. It didn’t really come as much of a shock that he was, indeed, a patient at the hospital. Fighting with a creature three times your size that has razor sharp claws and fangs, not to mention the poisonous stinger on its’ tail, does imply a trip to the hospital sometime in the near future. Still, he wondered how he had managed to end up in the hospital after that ordeal. Last he could remember, he fell unconscious after defeating the Manticore.

“Uh, how did I get here?” Naruto asked sheepishly.

“Your friends brought you here. To be honest, I was quite surprised when you were brought in covered in cuts and bruises. You must have had quite the night to have gotten those!”

“You have no idea… Um, what were their names?”

“Hmm… their names... I can’t quite recall their names but I have seen them around town before. One of them was a purple unicorn and the other was a pink pony I believe. They sound like anyone you know?”

Naruto shot up in surprise, but fell back down onto his bed as the dull pain in his chest exploded with renewed energy. It must’ve been Twilight and Pinkie that brought me here, he thought. The Nurse frowned, walking over to his bed and checking on the bandages covering his torso.

“Nah ah ah… No sudden movements now. There’s a reason why almost your entire body is covered in bandages you know.”

“These ponies,” he said, his voice strained due to the pain, “where are they now though?”

“They left at noon, so it’s been around four hours now. In fact, they’ve been visiting every day, checking in on how you were faring. My my, if only I had friends like yours that care about me that much… you’re a lucky stallion.”

“Heh, I guess I am… Although, I wouldn’t be here if I actually was lucky.” he said chuckling painfully.

“You ARE a lucky stallion Naruto. You came in here with...”, said Redheart, moving to the door to look at the hanging clipboard,” … three broken ribs, a severe concussion, multiple contusions, both major and minor, and a handful of chest lacerations. It’s a wonder that nothing vital was damaged during... whatever it was that you were doing.”

Was he really hurt that badly? He always had a knack for getting injured over stupid stunts or battles which sometimes ended with him in the hospital. He didn’t many visitors and so far, nothing seemed to have changed. That was all back in Konoha though. Naruto sighed quickly and deeply as he exhaled.

“So, what happens now, Nurse?”

“What happens now? To put it simply; You rest and I check up on your recovery. To be fair though…” She said, placing the clipboard back on its holder, “the majority of your wounds have all but disappeared. There are still some tender areas however, mostly focused along the upper torso region. Still... I can’t believe how fast you’ve healed! With injuries like those, I’d estimate that you would be bedridden for a month at minimum! Are you sure that you aren’t part superpony?”

When Redheart mentioned the rapid healing, he found himself thinking about Princess. The Kyuubi’s residency did come with some rather useful perks, like the massive chakra pool and the fast healing. Maybe Princess inherited those ‘qualities’ from her father as well?

“I heal quickly. What else can I say?” Naruto said to the nurse.

Over the next couple of minutes, nurse Redheart set about her daily routine with Naruto. She took off the bandages and replaced them with fresh ones, checked his vital signs, and then proceeded to ask questions now that the patient was actually awake to answer them. She had gotten the basics down from the two ponies that visited him daily but it was the specifics she needed, such as how and why he had obtained such injuries. The only answer she received from Naruto was that he was helping a friend in need. Anytime she tried to press on that subject matter, she’d get a rather condoning look from Naruto and she’d push on in respect for his privacy. She ran over her notes one last time before looking at Naruto with a smile.

“Alright, I believe that’s everything. Would you like your hospital room to be open for guests?”, the nurse asked.

“Oh, yeah of course. Wouldn’t hurt to see some friendly faces around here.”

“Alright… Now go and rest up! With how fast you’re recovering, I wouldn’t be surprised to see you discharged by dinner tomorrow. That is, if you don’t strain yourself anymore than necessary,” she said, playfully nudging his arm in jest. He yelped in surprise as he pulled his bandaged arm away. The nurse gasped, covering her mouth with a hoof.

“Oh my, I’m so sorry! I got carried away,” she apologized. Naruto had adopted a painful look on his face. It lasted a total of three seconds before he broke out into choked giggles, a smile on his face.

“Heh, gotcha!”

“Why you… don’t scare me like that.”

*****

Naruto stared at the abysmally white ceiling bored out of his very mind. There was simply nothing to do. He had taken to counting the white squares on the ceiling and after counting out the 28th tile for the tenth time, he stopped due to pure boredom. Just how long had he been in here? A quick glance at the clock revealed that he had only been alone for a grand total of ten minutes. Nurse Redheart excused herself because she had other patients to attend to. Come to think of it, he should have asked what there is to do around here to pass the time. He looked around the room once more. There weren’t any hospital TV sets or reading material anywhere. The lack of a TV he could probably understand, since this world probably hasn’t even reached that level of technology yet…

“No magazines though… I find that really odd,” he mumbled to himself. Now that he had time to think again, he wondered just what level of technology these ponies seemed to have. It did seem quite similar to the Shinobi nations: A monarchy, most likely... although he did wonder if they had other government positions lower on the ladder that did all the mundane work such as minor laws and policies. He hoped there wasn’t, since that also meant politics. And with politics, comes a delay of action, and with no action comes trouble.

...

Why did he just start thinking about ponies and politics?

Was he really THAT bored that thinking about political ideas and structures was actually FUN?

He shuddered and pounded his hoof on the bed, making soft thumping noises every time he hit the sheet.

“Is there really nothing to do in here but sleep?! I’m bored…” That reminded him of something… He remembered the whole ordeal with Rock Lee and his life-changing battle with Gaara. Not only did he lose the fight during the Chuunin Exams, Gaara had sought fit to make sure he would never fight again by crushing both his left arm and leg. Doctors and other Shinobi said that he’d have to abandon being a Shinobi entirely, something that bushy brows had fought hard to become ever since they were young. Even then, he still trained despite doctor’s orders.

He could still remember that day in his mind very clearly from where everyone else stood to the bone-shattering crunch of the sand crippling Lee’s arm and leg. He watched from the sidelines as bushy brow fell into a depression after hearing he’d never fulfill his dreams. It was something he couldn’t bear to watch. Then Tsunade came along and changed all that. She brought her own knowledge of medicine to the fight and fixed Lee’s arm and leg, placing him on the path of becoming a Shinobi once again. He didn’t know the exact procedure she used, but it worked and that was all he needed to know.

Naruto sighed, looking out the window as the sun slid behind the distant mountains. It was late and darkness would soon cover the entire town. Nostalgic thoughts aside, an idea sprang up in his mind.

“I should try escaping.” Such an idea left him grinning like a madman... or mad-pony in this case. Hospitals and him didn’t get along well together for extended periods of time and since he was almost fully recovered, there wasn’t any reason to stay in bed for another day.

Naruto kicked the covers off and wriggled towards the edge of the bed. He would have just picked himself up and trotted out, but the bandages hampered his movements severely. So he improvised.

Gravity is a cruel, heartless mistress.

He fell to the floor squarely on his chest. Now, trying to sit up a few hours ago was painful enough so getting a huge thump on the chest sent his body through painful wave after wave. Instantly, he tried to pick himself off the ground using his hooves, but the bandages proved worthy adversaries, hampering his movements significantly. A ripping sound came from behind him and the tension on both of his hind legs were gone. He pulled himself off the ground finally and found himself on four hooves, wobbly at best. He gritted his teeth, enduring the pain now realizing that trying to escape let alone move was a bad idea.

He panted heavily, trying desperately to keep his balance and not tumble over. The bed was, thankfully, only a foot away. He inched towards the bed and pulled himself back onto it quickly but tenderly. His breathing slowly returned to normal, the pain starting to quickly subside as he lay on top of the covers motionless. He gave a pained sigh before looking at his rear. That ripping sound had been from the bandages on his hind legs breaking apart. They were ripped in numerous places, probably due to the amount of strain he placed on them from trying to stand up.

“I’m never doing that again…” He knew that was a reckless idea but it didn’t even pay off in the end. Now resting in bed, he resigned to just keeping still and relaxing, pulling the sheets back over his body. He could already feel the weight of the short day on his eyelids and he didn’t bother fighting back. He closed his eyes peacefully and enjoyed the warmth and comfort of the bed. That is, until a rather loud knock came from the door followed by its’ opening. He grudgingly opened his eyes to find a rather familiar pony in the doorway; The white unicorn with the black mane who he met in Canterlot, now featuring a stylish brown suit and matching top hat. The unicorn adopted a toothy smile, tipping his hat towards Naruto.

“Well my dear boy, it’s good to see you again. Resting well?” He said shutting the door behind him. Naruto couldn’t help but smile.

“Gary! I didn’t expect to see you here!”

“Well now, surprised are we? After hearing about your condition, I deemed it necessary to visit you in person to ‘check up’ on you, so to speak. After all, you did just slay a Manticore per my request only two days prior… In fact, I would have come earlier, but other pressing matters required my attention, you see…” Gary said, taking a seat on the nearby chair.

Gary’s presence and the mentioning of the Manticore caused Naruto to realize something. He did indeed fight the Manticore but it also jogged another memory of his battle: The tail. Naruto felt the grip of fatigue disappear as the realization took hold. He bolted up in panic but cringed when the pain hit him again forcing him to stay on his back.

“No… Gary, the tail! Where is it!? Last I remember, I chopped it off but then I lost consciousness and—!“

“Whoa there my dear boy... Calm down. Everything is fine. The tail is currently in my possession.”

“What? How was it delivered? I was—well, am—in no condition to do that.”

“Ah, yes… the delivery…” Gary began, rubbing his chin with his hoof. “Your friends were the ones handling it, I believe. Twilight Sparkle and Pinkamena Diane Pie, if I remember correctly. There was one other—a black unicorn—who was with them at the time. He was quite rude, if I might add.”

“You mean Blackie? He’s the Ponyville Blacksmith. I struck up a deal with him involving the delivery of the tail to your place.”

“The blacksmith, you say? Well for a blacksmith, he was rather adamant about keeping the tail even though he had no use for it.”

“What do you mean?”, asked Naruto in confusion.

“Well, as I was saying my boy, he was rather rude when he and your other friends arrived on my doorstep. He said things like, ‘After what that filly put me through, he shouldn’t deserve it!’ or ‘He didn’t come through with his part of the bargain!’. Your friends were trying to keep him in check, from what I could tell…”, Gary said as he rubbed his forehead. “The ruffian even tried taking a swing at me.”

Naruto’s jaw dropped. The fact that his friends went that far to deliver the tail themselves was just… unbelievable. First, it was bringing him to a hospital to recover. Now he found out that they delivered the tail in his stead. A peculiar smile grew across his face rather quickly.

“Those two… chocked full of surprises…” Naruto mumbled. What was that about Blackie though? He figured he was a jackass but a greedy two-timer? That didn’t sound right at all. Naruto sighed in frustration.

“What do you mean Blackie didn’t want to uphold his side of the deal? That’s just crazy.”

“Just what kind of deal did you make with this wanker? He certainly doesn’t have much respect for you from what I can tell… calling you a filly nonetheless.”

“Speaking of which Gary, what does a filly mean?” He always heard that term from Blackie. He thought it was just common slang for a pony but that was just his own assumption. Gary’s mouth went agape, evidently not believing what he just said.

“Are you sure that battle didn’t rattle something loose in your head Naruto?” Gary asked.

“Oh it rattled something… but I’m perfectly fine,” Naruto said with a chuckle, thumping his chest for good measure. He recoiled with a slight hiss before adding, “...well, almost.”

“He was calling you a female pony, a young one to be exact.” Naruto blinked a couple of times at Gary’s explanation.

“Wait, what?”

“He called you a female pony. By Celestia boy, are you really that thick?”

“No… I didn’t know.” So Blackie was mocking him from the very start. That stubborn unicorn had no confidence or trust in him whatsoever it seemed like. Maybe it was just Blackie’s way of talking to others? Several explanations ran across Naruto’s mind, but none of them fit the way he acted.

“Well then, the whole filly fiasco aside… back to the matter at hand then, hmm? Exactly what kind of deal did you make with him?”

“Well, I needed weapons to take on the Manticore, so I stopped by the local blacksmith to have them made. They were expensive though, so in exchange for letting him take half the spoils—minus the tail—he would not only cut 75% off the price, but help haul everything in. It seemed like a good deal at the time…” Naruto said, Gary giving a small smile.

“That does indeed sound like an appealing deal… now if only he were more enthusiastic like you are, then perhaps he wouldn’t have taken a swing at me. He’s one hostile deal-maker, I say. There is one thing i find strange about all this however…”, Gary said, shifting in place slightly.

“That is?”

“Why were you acquiring your tools AFTER you accepted the job? Did you not have your own yet?”

“No, I didn’t.”, Naruto said with a straight face. Gary looked at him in disbelief.

“You didn’t?”

“I just said I didn’t…”

“I find that hard to believe”, Gary scoffed.

“Why’s it hard to believe?”

“Because it IS hard to believe Naruto,” said Gary, his voice rising slightly, ”accepting a request before having the necessary equipment? Are you insane?”

“Do you want to pet my tail?”

“No I don’t want to—what?”

“My tail, do you want to pet it?”, Naruto repeated slightly slower.

“Why would I want to pet your tail?”

“Everyone else has and every time they do, they focus on it than anything else for a minute. It’s like this tail is psychic or something… It creeps the hell out of me.”

“Well if your tail creeps you out, why did you ask me to pet it for you?”

Naruto opened his mouth to say something but paused midway. Why DID he want Gary to pet his tail? Is it because he wanted to move the conversation onto a different topic or was it just to see how he’d react? Naruto merely sighed as he shook his head.

“Never mind Gary… what were we talking about?” Naruto asked. Now Gary was the one to sigh as he rubbed his temples with his hooves.

“Ahem.. regardless, the Manticore tail arrived safely despite the issue with its’ delivery. You’ll have to talk to this Blackie fellow or your friends if you want more details. I can only speculate on what happened between the forest and my house.” He leaned back on the chair, staring up at the ceiling. “I must say Naruto, you have done me a marvelous deed… If it weren’t for you, I don’t think I’d have gotten the proper ingredients in time… You saved a life, doing what you did. And… to be frank,” he said, turning his eyes back to Naruto, “I didn’t expect you to survive.”

Naruto grinned. “You don’t know me then Gary.”

Gary blinked. He burst out laughing a moment later, catching Naruto by surprise. After a minute or so passed, Gary calmed down enough to speak.

“Heh, it seems that I do not. When I first met you, to be honest I was skeptic. Out of everypony else who stepped into my office to take the job, you were probably the youngest and least experienced. I was, honestly, going to show you the door after hearing you out. However, you had a certain air about you, my dear boy... A look of a fighter... A look that said ‘I get stuff done’. I had a feeling that you would be the one to do it... and I’m glad that I went with my gut feeling…”, Gary said, standing up from the chair, his eyes still on Naruto, “…which is why I’m increasing your reward. I don’t believe that three hundred bits is an adequate payment for what you have done for me nor the actions you have set into motion... You have my deepest thanks Naruto,” he said bowing to Naruto.

“You’re welcome Gary. I’m just glad I could help.” A mix of joy and happiness flowed through Naruto filling him up. Saving a life and an increase in the reward? Maybe suicidal missions like this were worth the risk. However, something else came to mind right now. “Wait, what do you mean ‘increasing your reward’? Are you just adding more bits or something else?

“Heh… in due time Naruto. Once you’re out of the hospital, you’ll see. Until then, focus on getting some rest.” Gary walked over to the door, using his magic to open it. “Now then, I believe I must be going. It is rather late and I have a daughter to attend to,” he said with a grin. “You take care of yourself now. If I run into anymore of your friends, I’ll be sure to let them know you’re as fit as a whistle... well, mostly anyway. Everypony needs some good news, hmm?”