• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 2,903 Views, 272 Comments

Ace Combat: Wings of Unity - PolishValsion



Based on Namco's Ace Combat series of video games. A sequel to Ace Combat: The Equestrian War.

  • ...
10
 272
 2,903

Chapter 7: Mourning

In a dark hour, shadows of doubt encircle the heroes.

A loss of someone dear brings great emotional pain.

One must not give into despair,

So long as hope and will to fight remains.

Chapter 7

Mourning

June 16th, 2021
1213 hrs
Canterlot

Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ managed to track down Spitfire’s location using their own radars. They were getting anxious, as her signal was the only one showing on their heads-up display. Both pegasi thought Firebolt’s communicator must’ve been damaged when she had been shot down. Soarin’ saw in the distance that the volunteers who decided to hold off the Exile offense were slowly getting overrun. They needed to hurry.

Finally, he spotted Spitfire amidst the rubble.

“There! I see her!” he hailed to Rainbow.

The two descended and landed on their hooves. Rainbow darted ahead.

“Spitfire! We’re getting you out of here!”

But when they got closer, both came to a halt. They saw Spitfire holding Firebolt in her arms, her head lowered and eyes closed. Soarin’ gasped quietly. He immediately realized what had happened.

“Oh no… We’re too late…”

“What?” Rainbow exclaimed. “You don’t mean…!”

She noticed Firebolt’s body being completely limp.

“She’s dead…” Spitfire whispered. “Firebolt’s dead.”

“No…”

Rainbow backed away a few steps. She squeezed her eyes and turned around.

“NO!”

In a fit of rage, Rainbow hit the bark of a fallen tree nearby with her right forehoof.

“Dammit…”

Soarin’ approached the Wonderbolt leader, placing his own forehoof on Spitfire’s arm.

“I’m sorry, Spitfire… We came as quickly as we could…”

Spitfire slowly shook her head.

“It’s not your fault… Even if you made it on time, it wouldn’t make any difference.”

“Listen, we can’t stay here,” Soarin’ said to her. “Our guys out there are losing. We need to go to the Crystal Empire, to the others.”

“I know…”

Spitfire got up from the ground, took Firebolt’s body on her arms and started to flap her wings, ready to leave.

“What are you doing?” Soarin’ asked.

“I’m not leaving her behind,” Spitfire replied sternly. “I’ve promised her that we’ll all go there together…”

Soarin’ frowned, but nodded his head.

“I understand.”

Rainbow managed to gain control over her emotions and approached the two Wonderbolt fliers, offering some help.

“I can carry her if you want,” she said to Spitfire.

“No, thanks… I’ll be fine.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure… Come on… Let’s get out of here.”

Spitfire’s tone was really subdued. Soarin’ and Rainbow Dash looked at each other, uncertain and worried. All three pegasi flew up, leaving the ruined Canterlot behind. While on their way to the Crystal Empire, Soarin’ informed both Spitfire and Rainbow Dash that the ponies who couldn’t be teleported out of the combat zone immediately will eventually make it to the rendezvous point within a day or two. Rainbow expressed desire to go and help them, but Soarin’ reminded her that Gale’s orders were to regroup in the Crystal Empire, then think of another move.

Spitfire did not took part in the discussion. She kept on looking at Firebolt’s limp body, her closed eyes, her burned skin… and she felt overwhelming desolation in her heart.

-----------------

1240 hrs
The Crystal Empire, Town Square

Since Princess Celestia and Princess Luna informed the crystal ponies of everything before the battle begun, the citizens were prepared to aid the remaining soldiers from EAF, as well as civilians. More than 700 ponies had been successfully teleported to the Crystal Empire, and nearly 450 more were on their way. Rarity, Applejack and Derpy were more than happy when they found the Cutie Mark Crusaders among the civilians. Just like before, they had been helping other ponies, mainly by transporting medicine. Scootaloo was in charge of that, using her scooter to quickly deliver all needed packages. Many defenders of Canterlot sustained injuries, but the crystal ponies had some of their own medics with them, ready to provide assistance to Nurse Redheart and her team.

Due to major signal jamming in the Canterlot region, the Mirage fliers could not contact Rainbow Dash. Gale couldn't reach the Wonderbolts either until only just recently. While Medley kept walking back and forth, Cloud Kicker hovered above, watching and hoping to see the upcoming pegasi returning safe and sound...

“What’s going on in there? They should be back already,” said Medley.

“I’ve tried contacting Rainbow a moment ago,” Firefly responded. “She said they are coming back. But something didn’t seem right… she sounded a bit down to me.”

“Do you think…?” Lightning Bolt started.

Before she could finish the sentence, Cloud Kicker’s voice sounded.

“I see them! I got positive visual! They’re coming back!”

“Finally.”

The other members of the Wonderbolts assembled as well. Rapidfire and Fleetfoot took flight to go ahead, to ask Spitfire and Soarin’ about details. Lightning Bolt still felt something wasn’t entirely right. She borrowed binoculars from the nearest soldier and looked up. She indeed saw Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts returning, but Spitfire was flying ahead, alone… or so it seemed. When Lightning inspected closely, she noticed the pegasi were in a “missing flier” formation, which was only used if a member of the flight did not made back from the mission alive…

“Captain!” Rapidfire hailed to Spitfire, catching her attention.

As the two fliers flew closer, Fleetfoot gasped, covering her mouth with her forehooves. She saw Firebolt, that young mare from the main flight, being carried on the Wonderbolt leader’s arms. Parts of her skin and mane were burned by fire. She wasn’t responding to Fleetfoot’s pokes or nudges.

“Firebolt! Hey, kid, wake up! Do you hear me? Wake up!” the arctic blue pegasus pleaded.

“Don’t bother, Fleetfoot… She can’t hear you,” Spitfire spoke with a glum voice.

Fleetfoot only shifted her sight between Spitfire and Firebolt a couple of times before she realized what the yellow mare meant to tell her. She kept shaking her head in denial. Rapidfire approached the body of his companion and confirmed the fact that she was dead. On the ground, Cloud Kicker landed before Medley, who seemed to be worried herself.

“Spitfire is carrying somepony… What happened?” the purple pony wondered.

“I don’t even want to know,” Medley replied.

Rainbow Dash’s hooves touched the ground, and she was quickly surrounded by her friends. Pinkie and Applejack were especially glad to see her again.

“Are you alright, Rainbow? Twilight Sparkle asked her.

“I’m fine… but Firebolt is…” Rainbow stammered.

The Wonderbolts slowly descended to the ground. The crowd’s anxious whispers quickly turned into horrified gasps, then mournful cries. Spitfire laid Firebolt’s body on the ground.

“Oh, goodness!”

“She’s dead!”

“How horrible!”

“Poor thing…”

“Who could have done this?!”

Spitfire simply stood beside Firebolt, not sure what to do, completely ignoring the cries coming from the crowd, until one mare approached her. It was a female crystal pony, bearing a turquoise coat, a purple mane and a pair of dark-blue eyes. Her cutie mark was a grain of wheat.

“Excuse me. I’m looking for a mare named Spitfire.”

The fire-maned pegasus lifted her sight.

“You found me. Who are you?”

“My name is Golden Laurel,” she said in a very formal tone. “I come in the name of Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor. We are aware of the terrible event that happened in Equestria. Please, accept our deepest sympathies.”

She lowered her head before Spitfire for a moment. The Wonderbolt leader did not say a word at first, trying to gather her thoughts. She came up to Golden Laurel and glanced back to Firebolt’s body.

“Listen, if it’s not much of a problem for you, do you think you could…”

“Of course,” Golden Laurel nodded. “We will conduct preparations to give all victims a proper farewell. The ceremony will be held in a few hours.”

While the other ponies observed the whole scene, Spitfire walked back to Firebolt and motioned Golden Laurel to come closer. Rapidfire, along with Soarin', took the mare’s body, placing it on a stretcher brought up by two other crystal ponies, who had been wearing vests with a red cross on them. Spitfire looked at Golden Laurel.

“Please, take good care of her.”

“We will.”

Within the next few minutes, the crystal ponies left in the direction of the castle. The crowd slowly began dispersing. Rainbow’s friends kept asking her what had happened back in Canterlot, but the blue flier could not answer those questions. She arrived when everything was already over, after all.

Spitfire turned around, trying to leave in the direction opposite to the castle. Soarin’ noticed it.

“Where are you going, Spitfire?” he asked.

The yellow mare in a damaged uniform did not even lift her sight.

“Please… leave me alone…” she demanded quietly.

Both the Mirage fliers and the other Wonderbolts watched as she left the town square. They kept exchanging worried glances, yet no one could tell what was really happening in Spitfire’s mind.

-----------------

1353 hrs
Canterlot

Of over 350 ponies who volunteered to fend off the Exile Army attack on Canterlot, only about 45 remained. Phalanx rallied them into a single company. Around them lied the dead bodies of both EAF and Aurora’s troops as well as rubbles of buildings. Some wounded ponies, who were lying on the ground, still twitched a little, moaned in pain or desperately tried to stand up and continue fighting. Commander Clad Hoof and his soldiers completely surrounded the defenders. He stepped forward, keeping about ten unicorns by his side.

“You are defeated,” he proclaimed. “This battle is over. Give yourselves up.”

“Never!” Phalanx responded. “We will fight to the end!”

“If that is your wish…”

Clad Hoof rose his right front leg, giving his soldiers the sign to prepare an attack. The unicorns’ horns began to glow. Some of EAF soldiers huddled closer to Phalanx…

“Halt!” a female voice sounded.

Surprised, Clad Hoof turned around and noticed Aurora approaching him. She had several of her soldiers by her side, including the Reaper squadron. She gave them a nod. The four pegasi flew up inside the castle. Aigaion and his Drake Generals watched the whole scene in the rear, with little to no interest. Gleipnir had his wound on the left wing being treated by a few Exile medics. The dragon seemed to be in a very grim mood, as he kept growling mildly.

“My Lady?” Clad Hoof asked.

“What is the rush, Commander? Like you said, we have won the battle. We should savour our victory. Let me talk to them.”

Aurora stepped forward, switching her gaze in between the troops gathered under a single banner of Equestrian Allied Forces.

“Which one of you leads this company?”

“I am,” said Phalanx. “What do you want, witch?”

Aurora examined the white-coated pegasus clad in an armor partially reinforced with gold.

“I would choose my words wiser if I were you, Royal Guard. Listen to me. You and your comrades have fought well. But there is no point for you to resist anymore. I am willing to spare your pitiful lives if you will abandon Celestia and join my army. I could use soldiers like you.”

One of the earth pony guards, wearing a brown coat, spoke with disgust.

“Does the phrase: ‘Go suck a lemon!’ hold any meaning for you?”

Phalanx angrily squinted his eyes before adding with a determined voice.

“Forget it! We will never betray the Royal Sisters! They are the only rightful rulers of Equestria. Do not think you can sway us!”

The blue alicorn mare came closer to the Royal Guard, staring deep into his aquamarine eyes. She smiled mischievously.

“We shall see. Your loyalty will be tested. Commander!”

“Ma’am?” Clad Hoof asked.

“Take them to the dungeons! It is only rightful that these ponies should become the prisoners inside the castle they swore to protect. Once you’ll do that, I want you to establish our primary base in this city.”

“As you wish, Lady. Move it, prisoners!”

Clad Hoof and nearly twenty of his soldiers escorted Phalanx’s company into the castle. A little over half an hour later, Aurora noticed the Reapers descending before her. She graced them with a warm smile.

“What did you learn, Deathwing?” the alicorn mare asked the dark pegasus.

“The castle is abandoned. There is nopony inside. They must have left it a few hours ago. This whole battle was just a distraction,” Deathwing replied.

“A trick, then,” said Aurora. “It would seem Celestia had actually been planning ahead. Still, her course of action is rather unexpected. The EAF soldiers are most likely scattered in the mountains or in entire Equestria. They may try to engage us in guerilla warfare. No matter. We will find them and kill them all. I believe we had toyed with them long enough. I don’t want them to become any more dangerous to my plans. Shockwave!”

“Yes, my Lady?” the purple pegasus asked.

“I trust you have gathered enough data for us to complete the Zeal.”

“Affirmative. With this data, we will be able to create a perfect augmentation for future battles. Nothing will stop us.”

“Excellent,” said Aurora. “Once we will establish a base here, start working on it. Make sure there will be no mistakes like last time...”

“Not to worry, Lady Aurora,” Shockwave replied. “And, if I may add something else, while we were searching through the castle, I came across some very interesting data stored in one of the computers. It took me a while to breach its security system, but I believe it was worth it. You may want to take a look at that data with me, my Lady.”

“Show me, then.”

Both the purple pegasus and Aurora flew back into the castle. Once inside the royal chamber, Shockwave turned the monitor on, pressed several buttons on the keyboard and presented the blue alicorn with his discovery.

As Aurora browsed the data, here eyes widened, giving a couple of sparks away. She started chuckling.

“You are right, Shockwave… This is very interesting. Hm hm hm hm… ha ha ha!”

==========

2100 hrs
The Crystal Empire, castle area

The ceremonies that Golden Laurel had conducted in memory of the fallen ponies were over. They mostly consisted of giving eulogies to fallen soldiers, who gave their lives to protect Equestria from the Exile invasion. Yet, much to the sadness of both crystal ponies and EAF troops, some of their heavily injured comrades, as well as civilians who suffered from Aigaion’s assault, succumbed to their wounds. Despite the medics’ best efforts, they could not be saved. Nearly 130 victims’ bodies were stored in either coffins or body bags and then moved to a deeper section of the castle. There, with the help of unicorn magic, the room remained in low temperature, acting as a sort of morgue. Both the Royal Sisters, Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor came into agreement that they will be later properly buried in Garden of the Fallen, once Canterlot will be liberated.

However, there was one exception — Firebolt. Mostly because of Spitfire’s request, the white pegasus mare had been given an actual funeral ceremony. The unicorns used their magic to rejuvenate her body, causing most of her wounds to disappear. At around 5 PM, the ponies gave their last respects for Firebolt, as the coffin containing her body was lowered into the soil at the castle grounds. Strangely enough, nearly every member of the Wonderbolts had a few parting words left for the young mare, except for Spitfire, who only stood next to the pit where Firebolt had been put to rest, remaining completely silent.

Even a few hours later, when Firebolt’s body had been buried, and a gravestone was put above her, even after all ponies left for their homes or the castle to look after the EAF soldiers and civilians from Equestria, helping them organize themselves in the Crystal Empire... one pony remained. Spitfire was still sitting next to Firebolt’s grave.

Soarin’ saw her lonely figure in the light of the moon. He watched her from the castle, wondering if there was anything he could do to help her. Rainbow Dash eventually came across him, as she was heading for her headquarters to meet up with her wingmares. The sight of Soarin’, standing lonely by the window, caught her attention.

“Hi, Soarin’,” Rainbow started as she approached him.

“Rainbow…”

The blue flier looked down and saw Spitfire as well.

“She is still sitting there?” Rainbow asked.

“It’s been three hours since the funeral ended,” Soarin’ told her. “She still hasn’t moved an inch. I think she’s been greatly affected by Firebolt’s death. Spitfire is probably feeling guilty for letting that dragon kill her…”

Rainbow looked at Soarin’ with uncertainty.

“Why would she?”

“Because she is the leader. She is responsible for the team. I know her well. And I can’t blame her for feeling like that. The Wonderbolts never had an official casualty during any conflict since our unit has been established… except for that one accident.”

“Accident? What happened?” Rainbow asked, curious.

“We were doing a joint exercise mission with the griffons of the north…that was three months before The Equestrian War. I don’t remember the details, but one of our wingmates, Frostbite, went missing in action. We never found him and ultimately presumed him to be killed. And, in fact, he was dead when we finally learned of his whereabouts… even though he could still move and fight.”

Rainbow’s left eyebrow rose a little.

“I’m not following… Wait… Frostbite? I’ve seen him on a couple of your shows a few years back. He welcomed Princess Luna back in Equestria along with you guys.”

“And he took part in the opening ceremony of the Best Young Flyer competition where you saved our lives,” Soarin’ added.

Rainbow Dash thought about what she heard for a moment before she asked:

“How is he?”

Soarin’ let out a sigh.

“Like I said, he’s dead.”

“What exactly happened to him?”

“I’m not really in the mood to talk about this... The griffins eventually found him during the conflict with Neue Gryphus. He looked nothing like he used to be. Though his body was still moving, his mind was dead. He wasn’t responding to anything, acting like some sort of a mindless beast... Let’s just say the poor fellow deserved a better death. Because Firebolt had finished her recruit training the next month after the accident occured, we decided to make her Frostbite’s replacement in our main flight for any further activities.”

“I see…” Rainbow said slowly. “Does Spitfire know about this?”

“Yeah,” said Soarin’. “When Frostbite's body had been given to us, we buried him among the other pegasus victims of the war. During the funeral, Spitfire looked pretty despondent. She got over his death fairly quickly, though. But I don’t know if...”

The grim silence remained for a while as the two pegasi looked down at the castle grounds again. The stars were glittering faintly on the dark sky.

“In any case,” Rainbow resumed, “we can’t leave Spitfire like this.”

“That’s why I think you should go talk to her,” Soarin’ spoke.

“Me? Why can’t you go?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Soarin’ averted his gaze and started sheepishly scratching his forelegs against each other.

“If I’m to be honest with you, Rainbow… I’m not really good at cheering other ponies up. I tried it before after Frostbite’s funeral, but it didn’t seem to work too well. I just don’t feel like I’m the best pony to do it. Can you go and talk to Spitfire, Rainbow? For me?”

Rainbow thought about it for a moment before she hesitantly agreed.

“I can try… but I can’t promise anything.”

“Trying will not hurt. If you’ll be able to get her attention, tell Spitfire we’re waiting for her at our headquarters in the castle. We need to come up with a strategy for the next few days… they will be crucial.”

“Yeah, I know…”

With these words, Rainbow left Soarin’ and went down to the castle grounds. He stayed by the window just to see the blue pegasus slowly approach the Wonderbolt captain before he turned away, heading for the room where his teammates were remaining.

-----------------

Spitfire had her eyes fixed on Firebolt’s gravestone the whole time, staring at it with a mix of sadness and pride. The few words, engraved as an epitaph, said:

Here lies Firebolt of the Wonderbolts
Brave youthful mare, claimed by the flames of war

The yellow pegasus didn’t hear the sound of hoofsteps as Rainbow came closer to her. She took a deep breath before she said:

“Hey, Spitfire…”

Hearing her name, Spitfire quickly turned her head around. The expression on her face clearly showed that she was tired, yet also mildly surprised to see anypony talking to her.

“Oh… it’s you…”

“Sorry… Did I disturb you?” Rainbow asked.

Spitfire didn’t say anything. Dash felt a little uncomfortable, seeing the mare she admired so much in such a dire situation.

“I just came to deliver a message. Soarin’ and the other Wonderbolts are waiting for you in the headquarters. I think they want to talk to you...”

Both pegasi were holding their sights on each other for a moment before Spitfire turned her head back at the gravestone without saying a word, seemingly ignoring the words she just heard. It was clear to Rainbow that she was indeed greatly affected by Firebolt’s death. The blue pegasus took a few steps back.

“OK, I… guess I better leave…” Rainbow said quietly.

Just as she was about to turn back to the castle, Spitfire finally spoke, even though she wasn’t looking at Dash.

“Wait! Don’t go… You didn’t come here just to deliver a message, did you?”

Feeling convinced that she managed to get Spitfire’s attention and seeing it as an opportunity to talk to her, Rainbow Dash approached the yellow mare, standing right next to her and looking at Firebolt’s grave herself.

“How are you feeling?”

Spitfire shook her head.

“I can’t believe she’s gone…”

Rainbow looked at her, concerned.

“You’ve been sitting here for the past three hours.”

“I had some stuff I needed to think about,” Spitfire replied.

“About Firebolt?”

“Many things… This should not have happened. She died because of me.”

The pain in Spitfire’s voice sounded clearly. Rainbow tried to keep the conversation up to learn more.

“What exactly happened out there? Soarin’ mentioned something about a dragon…”

“Yeah…” Spitfire replied. “He managed to sneak in under our radars, thanks to that optical camouflage. Maybe it has something to do with that armor with a jewel he’s wearing, I don’t know…”

“And he tried to kill you? He didn’t attack the company defending the city?” Rainbow asked.

“It seemed so. I wanted to retreat with Firebolt, but…”

Spitfire paused for a second before she continued, her voice filled with shame.

“When I looked into his eyes, I… I couldn’t move a muscle. My entire body became numb, I felt cold sweat running through my face, my heartbeat started racing… I was scared, Rainbow. I was never so scared in my life. There was something in his eyes that terrified me beyond anything I’ve seen until now... some sort of a murderous intent flared in them. If it wasn’t for Firebolt, I would have been dead for sure.”

Rainbow Dash laid her right forehoof on Spitfire’s arm.

“It’s understandable. When a dragon showed up over Ponyville, I freaked out, too. Seeing those scaly dudes appear before you, out of nowhere… It’s guaranteed to scare anypony.”

She tried to sound relatively laid-back, trying to ease the grim atmosphere a bit. It didn’t work that well. Spitfire still felt bad.

“It’s my fault. If I hadn’t been so weak, she would still be alive.”

“Don’t say that,” Rainbow said to her. “Nopony could foresee things that happened.”

“Easy for you to say. You don’t know what it feels like… to see one of your wingmates die right before your eyes, unable to ease its pain… to help it.”

Rainbow’s expression also turned glum, yet she felt she must take some decisive action.

“Whatever you do, Spitfire, please don’t resign as the captain of the Wonderbolts. ”

Spitfire’s ears perked when she heard that, looking at Rainbow with a mild shock on her face.

“What? What gave you that idea?”

Rainbow gave out a little smile.

“You’re right, I don’t know how it feels like to lose a wingmate. But I’ve almost lost a friend, and I know it’s difficult to cope with the fact there’s not much we can do to help it. It’s depressing… but sometimes we don’t have much of a choice.”

Spitfire blinked her eyes, processing what she heard.

“When did it happen?”

“During the Equestrian War…”

-----------------

Rainbow told Spitfire about the occurrence that happened after the battle for Ponyville. The blue pegasus met her old friend, Gilda, who seemingly wanted to forget past problems and talk with her like they used to in past years. Rainbow followed her, but fell into a trap. It turned out Gilda was recruited by Red Cyclone and he used the female griffon's desire to see Rainbow Dash in order to lure the pegasus away from her team for a chance to kill her, thus eliminating one of the factors that kept crippling his operations in Equestria.

“I don’t know what hurt me more back then: those hits I’ve kept receiving from Gilda, or the fact she betrayed me,” Rainbow told Spitfire. “If Medley hadn’t been following me and watching everything… She managed to help me get away, but Gilda took advantage of the situation and grabbed Medley wings, threatening to rip them off…”

“Wha…? You’re kidding,” Spitfire blurted, utterly shocked.

“I wish I would. Gilda kept torturing her for a while, and there was very little I could do to release her. I ultimately attacked, trying to take Gilda down, but that’s what she wanted. Before the rest of my team arrived, she broke Medley’s wings… and my spirit, too. I’ve played myself straight into Gilda’s talons. When I realized that, it was too late…”

Rainbow Dash paused for a moment, taking a deep breath before she continued. Spitfire kept staring at her.

“For the next few days, I was lying in Canterlot Hospital. My injuries were pretty bad, but they didn’t bother me that much. I don’t know if I was more angry at myself for being stupid, or at Gilda for tricking me… It still hurt.”

Memories of those days still lingered somewhere in Rainbow’s mind. When she brought them up, her voice started cracking a little.

‘I could barely move, talk or eat… I just kept staring at the ceiling above me… At times, I wanted to bury my face in a pillow and cry… but I couldn’t even do that. I felt so… useless. Firefly said it right when she saw me… I was just a wreck of a pegasus, nothing more.”

“I… I had no idea,” Spitfire muttered.

“Maybe it’s for the better that you hadn't seen me back there. You wouldn’t recognize me at all.”

Rainbow let out a forced chuckle.

“But you got better, right?” Spitfire asked her.

“Thanks to my friends, Medley in particular. They helped me realize that drowning yourself in despair and self-doubt isn’t the best way to solve a problem. What you gotta do is to face that problem head-on and overcome it, however though it may seem.”

Spitfire pondered about those words. Once again she realized that Rainbow was much tougher than she may look. The yellow mare wondered if she was really strong to overcome her own problems, too. Looking back at the gravestone, Spitfire’s thoughts started swirling around Firebolt again.

“You know what troubles me the most about this, Rainbow?” she asked. “The fact that Firebolt was still young. I mean, she was just a year older than you. She had an entire life ahead of her, maybe even a great career as a flier… but she sacrificed all that to save my life.”

Spitfire lowered her sight a little, frowning. Rainbow looked at her again.

“She was a soldier, just like we are. I’m sure she was prepared for this.”

Hearing that last sentence caused Spitfire to remember the words Firebolt said to her, the expression on her face right before she died… one of serenity, but also longing for something…

“Mother…” Spitfire suddenly whispered.

“What did you say?” Rainbow asked in surprise.

“That was the last thing she said… I was thinking on what she could possibly mean. At first, I thought she was talking about her biological mother… she probably had some sort of a hallucination or was crying for her,” Spitfire explained. “It’s actually not too common for soldiers to call out for their mothers in their final moments… it is said they want to feel some comfort before dying… at least, that’s what I heard. But, the more I think about it… Maybe Firebolt meant someone else…”

Rainbow wondered for a while in silence before she retorted:

“Maybe… she was talking about you.”

“Me?” Spitfire asked, perplexed.

“Well, think about it. Since you’re the leader of the Wonderbolts, you hold some sort of an authority among the pegasi… and Firebolt treated you with respect, as far as I remember… so… I don’t know, maybe she saw you as a sort of...”

Spitfire did not hear the rest of the sentence. Rainbow Dash had no idea what storm of feelings she had awakened in the yellow pegasus’ heart.

-----------------

July 29th, 2018
1400 hrs
Cloudsdale Wonderbolts Academy, Spitfire’s office
4 months before The Equestrian War

Firebolt has been summoned by the Wonderbolt leader to her office in the midst of a training session with Soarin’. The message came to her as she was performing various tricks with other cadets. The young, white mare trotted through the corridors, wondering why Spitfire called her to come see her. She hoped that it didn’t mean any dire news.

As she approached the blue door with a star on its glass, Firebolt knocked on it three times.

“Enter!” a female voice sounded from behind them.

Firebolt slowly opened the door and entered the office. Spitfire was sitting behind her desk, stamping some documents. She seemed quite busy.

“You… wanted to see me, Captain ma’am?” Firebolt asked with a trembling voice.

Spitfire lifted her gaze. A smirk appeared on her face when she noticed the white pegasus.

“Yes, come in, rookie. I was just checking your files.”

“Is… something wrong?” Firebolt gulped loudly.

“No, on the contrary, actually,” said Spitfire. “Your test results have arrived. You’ll be glad to hear you’ve passed both of them.”

Firebolt blinked her eyes in surprise.

“I…. R-Really?”

“You sure did! In terms of practical exam, you accumulated 76 points out of 100. But, as for the writing test, you managed to score 94 points. Considering you’ve only been in the Academy for six months, it is an impressive result, rookie,“ Spitfire told her, still upkeeping the positive smirk on her face.

Firebolt wasn’t worried anymore. Her expression became very much joyful.

“I’m trying to do my best, ma’am. It’s what Wonderbolts are known for. So… does that mean I get to become a regular member of the team?” she asked with slight hesitance.

“Whoa, hold your horses, rookie,” Spitfire said to her. “Before you earn the right to be a true Wonderbolt, you still need to complete your training, and the final exam is at least a good month ahead, if not more. Besides, even if you do complete it, you’ll need to spend some time in reserves before you’ll be moved to active squads. There will be time for everything. For now, I still need to ask you a few questions.”

The white pegasus mare nodded, understanding what she just heard. She made a step in the direction she wanted to, but not quite within the goal yet.

“First of all,” Spitfire continued, “I want to know the exact reason on why you want to join the Wonderbolts. Is this your own decision or are you taking it because you are influenced by something or somepony?”

“Well… actually…”

Firebolt’s sight started moving across the room. The pegasus was uncertain how she should respond to that question. Spitfire saw that she was nervous and tried to calm her down.

“Relax, there’s no need for stress, rookie… Firebolt, was it?”

“Y-Yes, Captain ma’am,” she replied before gathering the courage to answer. “To tell the truth… it’s about my father.”

Spitfire took off the shades she was wearing on her face, looking at the pegasus recruit.

“Go on,” she encouraged her.

Firebolt took a deep breath and begun explaining:

“My father has been a part of Equestria’s Air Force over twenty years ago, serving as a member of one of the squadrons. When I was born, he moved to retirement… Ever since I was a little filly, he kept telling me stories about those difficult times… how he and his companions were flying to different parts of the world to help refugees and citizens of other countries who suffered from that disaster.”

Firebolt’s face blushed a little as she spoke about her childhood, but Spitfire didn’t seem to mind. She recalled the events from over two decades ago.

“Yeah… we had a lot of rough days and nights back then. See, I was your age. I, too, began as a typical cadet in the Wonderbolts. They were sending us, as well as other organized earth pony and unicorn groups, to help those who were suffering the most. And I mean a lot of folks needed assistance. Even after some quarries subsided, there were still local conflicts and wars… We agreed to send medicine, food, even financial support to some countries, but we never openly participated in any conflict, mostly due to fact none of them were beneficial to us in any matter… I sometimes wonder if that was the right decision…”

Spitfire seemed to have been caught in the reminiscence. She noticed Firebolt watching her silently. The yellow pegasus mare coughed loudly.

“Sorry, I digress. So, about your father… You want to join the Wonderbolts because he urged you to do so?”

“Not exactly, ma’am,” Firebolt replied. “My father only gave me a suggestion. He's also been telling me about the Wonderbolts several times… that they are known to as not only the greatest stunt fliers in Equestria, but also as its aerial aces.”

Spitfire’s smirk grew a little.

“We certainly strive to be the best. If ponies like your father say such things, then I guess we’re doing a good job.”

“Yes, ma’am. I want to be a part of this squad, not just because I want to entertain ponies with tricks. I mostly want to help protect Equestria from danger, should it ever be threatened by some vile force. This is the land where I was born and raised. I love it, and I don’t want to see it becoming a battlefield one day. Even if it would, I don’t want to stand idly by and watch. I want to help protect it.”

Although the recent events Spitfire heard of, namely the return of Nightmare Moon, who turned out to be a corrupted Princess Luna, as well as Discord’s shenanigans in Ponyville, were already taken care of by Princess Celestia and some ponies she heard rumors to be bearers of the legendary Elements of Harmony, she was thinking about something else. The conflicts in Emareia and Urusea had finally settled, with the oppressing forces being quelled, but the recent activities in the neighboring Griffin Kingdom grew suspicious, despite King Lightbeak’s claims that they were by no means threats of aggression. He even proposed a joint exercise between ponies and griffins to prove his good intentions even further.

Spitfire's thoughts focused back on Firebolt. Her passionate declaration struck a chord in the yellow pony’s mind.

“So, you fancy yourself being patriotic, huh, Firebolt?” Spitfire asked her. “That’s the kind of attitude I like. But let me ask you this… What does your mother think of it?”

“... I don’t really get to see her often,” Firebolt answered. “She’s a very busy mare. If I can see her once a month, then I’m lucky. Still, she believes in me and supports my decisions. As does my father. They say I’m already an adult, and I should look after myself… I should start making my dreams come true.”

“Hmm… Is that so?” Spitfire wondered. “I’ll have to check those things you’ve mentioned about your parents. For now… Let’s see…”

For the next couple of minutes, Spitfire kept checking Firebolt’s files again, as the white pegasus waited patiently. Finally, the Wonderbolt leader spoke again.

“All right, Firebolt, here’s the deal. I will transfer you to Wonderbolts reserve once you complete your final training exam. Depending on your results, you’ll be accepted into one of four groups. You will be in reserve for the next three months. If you will be showing an exemplary behavior, I’ll consider moving you to one of our main units. And, if you’ll do really good, then, who knows… maybe you’ll end up flying alongside Soarin’ and me.”

Firebolt’s eyes widened in surprise. She wasn’t expecting those words.

“R-Really? I-I would be honored, Captain ma’am. I promise I’ll do my best!” she said enthusiastically.

“I know you will,” Spitfire replied, this time smiling for real. “Well, you better get back to your session.”

Firebolt was just about to leave the room when Spitfire stopped her.

“Oh yeah, and one more thing… You don’t have to be so formal. Call me Spitfire, OK?”

“Understood… Captain Spitfire,” said Firebolt, giving a salute.

Spitfire chuckled.

“If only we’ve had more well-mannered recruits like yourself… Now, run along!”

==========

What Firebolt spoke about her parents was true. Despite her bright and passionate attitude, Spitfire saw her in private a couple of times. The white pony seemed a bit lonely. Since Firebolt had become an official member of the Wonderbolts, Spitfire kept her eyes on her, watching her improve her abilities, but never treating her above other members of the team. As the yellow pegasus recalled all those memories in her mind, something began to stir in her. She still kept her sight locked on the gravestone. Her body started trembling.

Rainbow noticed it.

“Spitfire, are you alright?” she asked, concerned.

“Rainbow…” said Spitfire. Her voice started breaking down. “Can you… do me a favor?”

“Sure… Anything.”

“Hug me… Please…!”

While surprised to hear such request, Rainbow did not object. She approached Spitfire closer and used her left wing to wrap it around her. Suddenly, Spitfire lunged toward Rainbow, embracing her with both of her arms. Rainbow remained still, partly shocked by that reaction. She couldn’t understand why Spitfire did that. Perhaps it was due to emotions surging within her. Both mares remained close to each other for a while.

Then, Rainbow Dash felt something wet on her cheek. Only now she realized that Spitfire was crying. Some quiet sobs escaped her mouth.

“Spitfire… What...”

The yellow pegasus let Rainbow go and started wiping her eyes with her forelegs.

“Sorry… I shouldn’t be going into pieces like this,” Spitfire said. “I know what you’re thinking about me now. I’m hopeless…”

“No, you’re not!” Rainbow interrupted her. “Cloud Kicker once told us that there is no shame in crying. I know you’re feeling sad. It’s pretty normal you feel that way. She was your friend, after all.”

“Yeah…” Spitfire replied after a few seconds. “I know… I’ve made a mistake by leaving her behind…”

Rainbow Dash tried to give Spitfire some words of advice, but couldn’t even gather her own thoughts. Much to her genuine surprise, Spitfire’s tone changed. She wasn’t sounding so grim anymore.

“But… Rainbow, let me tell you something, just between you and me. When I was beginning as a Wonderbolt cadet... about 15 years ago... I once caused an accident. It was during one of the training sessions… I was flying too fast and couldn’t control my wings properly. One of the cadets would end up getting seriously hurt if another wasn’t there to get him out of the way. At the last second, I’ve managed to ascend and avoid crashing, but… Because of me, one of the cadets could be sent home, crippled. I thought that I wasn’t ready for this… I wanted to quit. But as I was in the locker room, the then leader approached me and said that the biggest mistake somepony can make is to give up. I took those words to my heart and, since then, I never gave up again. And I want it to stay that way! I will not give up! No matter what, I will keep fighting. Firebolt would want it. I will keep fighting for her and for Equestria!”

Spitfire looked at Rainbow. A candid smile appeared on her face.

“Thanks, Rainbow… Guess I needed some pep talk to understand. I’m glad you and Soarin’ still care about me. I would never want to let you down. I promise you I’ll help in leading our pegasus squadrons to victory.”

That was exactly what Rainbow wanted to hear. She put her left hoof on Spitfire’s arm.

“And I can promise you that, anytime, anyplace, you can count on me and my team to help you. Just say the word.”

Spitfire shifted her gaze back to Firebolt’s gravestone.

“You know… I wanted to give her a proper farewell during the ceremony… but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it before everypony. Do you think it’s not too late to do it?”

“It’s never too late. Actually, I want to give some parting words as well. I may not have known her like you or the other Wonderbolts did, but… I won’t lie. I will miss her. Her determination, dedication to our cause... She was a great flier.”

Both pegasi stood next to each other once more, rising their right arms and touching their foreheads with their hooves. Spitfire started with a solemn tone.

“Firebolt… thank you. You sacrificed own your life to save mine. I am in your debt. I don’t know if I can avenge you, but I can promise you this: I will keep on fighting. For you… and for every pegasus that died in this war. I will make sure that the Exiles will not conquer Equestria. I… will never forget you.”

Though Rainbow wanted to add something, she felt like words got stuck in her throat. She only managed to utter one phrase.

“Rest in peace, Firebolt… You’ve earned it.”

The pale light of the moon enveloped both mares. They stood in silence for another minute before Spitfire turned to Rainbow again.

“Well, guess we better go back. The others must be getting worried about me.”

“Yeah, let’s go. We need to get some rest before tomorrow.”

Spitfire nodded and the two ponies made their way to their headquarters, placed in the castle’s vicinity. Just then, Spitfire came to a halt and felt something strange… An ethereal voice of a female pony sounded in her ears:

“Thank you, Captain Spitfire… for everything.”

She turned around, but didn’t see or heard anything else. Was her mind playing tricks with her? When Rainbow called out to her, she saw a shadow of doubt on Spitfire’s face.

“Everything okay?”

“Yeah… I’ll manage. Good night, Rainbow.”

“Same to you.”

The two mares parted their ways, heading for their own bases. When Spitfire finally drifted off to sleep several minutes later, she had a smile on her face. No nightmares tormented her at all. The promise she gave allowed Firebolt's spirit to soar into the Celestial Realm, to join the other great and heroic fliers of Equestria.