• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 9,052 Views, 145 Comments

The Princess and the Guard - Dragonfoxgirl



With her new princess title, Twilight feels she has more study to do in the fields of magic and flight. Staying up more than her mind and body can take, it is up to her new personal guard to take care of her.

  • ...
40
 145
 9,052

Dark Past

“We are supposed to sleep right now and all we did is talk about mindless things the entire morning” White Fur murmured with her face buried in Oni´s chest.

“My wings are killing me and my legs feel weird” Oni said totally ignoring the fact that he had to sleep.

“I´m going to get you a soft cold towel for your wings, they are burning with fever” the beautiful white mare lifted her head from his chest, her mane brushing his face, his sensitive nose picking her hypnotic scent.

“Is she awake? I miss her so much” he asked her, lifting his head a little so his voice would come louder.

White Fur shooked her head, quickly reassuring him that she was going to be awake in a few minutes. He directed his attention to the purple mare sitting far away from where he was.

“Don´t get so nervous princess, he will be back in a second, he just has to deliver his report and leave his armor with the blacksmith the bat pony tried to give her a relaxing tone”

“I am not nervous! Not at all! What makes you think that I´m nervous?” Twilight gave him a weird smile.

The tired dark pony gave her a big sigh.

“You are scared and nervous because you are all alone in a weird room inside a mountain´s cave, the only pony that acts as a support to your… sanity is away from you right now…. And besides you’re tapping your front hoof against the pillow in a nervous tick tick tick, it´s driving my ears insane”

Twilight realized this and immediately stopped.

“She… she seems to really care about you” Twilight said, trying to change the subject.

“You mean Fur? Well yea… she´s my marefriend”

“She seems to be… more than that” Twilight said recalling in her mind the way her face lighted when she saw him.

“She and I have a looooong history, we grew up together, we only had each other and in some way… we still do only have each other”

“It must have been very difficult… really you only had each other?... no pony else?” Twilight gave him a concerned look.

Oni smiled; at least she was not nervous anymore.

“If I tell you a story, you´ll calm down?”

Twilight smiled, standing up and trotting closer to him, she levitated the big mushy pillow and sat close to the big pile of pillows and blankets. Oni snorted; she had an exited foal´s expression in her face.

He moved his head in a weird angle making a snapping sound, letting out a heavy tired sigh and he proceeded with his story.

“Well… if I´m going to tell you the whooooole story I better start from the very very first start, I should probably start with my birth. I was born in the heart of the Everfree forest, my mother was a healer and my father was a hunter, what I mean by healer is that she drained her poison from her fangs and mixed it with herbs and flowers to turn it in to medicine. My father hunted pray for the merchants to sell, we were happy and lived a very simple life… well, when the timberwolves and greedy dragons were not trying to kill us it was a pretty good life.

During that time, night ponies were still not very sure about letting equestrian know of their existence, my parents were very careful to not reveal themselves to the daylight ponies. Some of them saw us like monsters in pony form so they preferred to stay hidden. I never asked anything about this… I kind of knew already.

One day a royal guard crashed near our cave, he looked like a pile of bloody meat and feathers, he was so injured that it was amazing he was still breathing, my parents had a good pure heart and dragged him to our home, my mom worked night and day hurting her fangs from draining them without rest my dad had to bite him several times to make him not feel the pain. I remembered his armor, golden and bright, it hurt my eyes. After several weeks of coma, one day while I was sleeping and my parents were guarding him, he opened his eyes. My parents told me that he was confused and scared and needed a few minutes to regain all his senses, when he understood where he was and who they were, he calmed down and told a dark and twisted story about an attempt to attack Canterlot from a terrorist gryphon group. Celestia herself had to deal with them; apparently the whole battle had happened right over the Everfree forest.

The guard told us his name was Free Cloud, he was friendly and a gentle speaker, he told us everything we didn’t know about Canterlot and the Daylight ponies. Hr told us that things were different for the bat ponies in the capital, that Canterlot ponies were different, and that they knew that we were not monsters or demons. My parents doubted… still. Cloud Free stayed with us for a long time, his body was fine, but he had to recover from all the poison my father had injected in his body, his feathers had to grow back so he stayed with us until they did.

It was fun to have another pony with us, he told me stories about being a guard and taught me how to use a spear, my father tried to learn to but he never got a handle of it. I called him Uncle Free and he was like a big brother to me. He tried to help in every way he could, he even tried to hunt some prey with my dad, but he never could bite anything. I was sad when he got all his feathers back. It had been almost a year, my parents were emotional too, it was our first friend that was not like us, the living proof that there were day ponies that did not see us as monsters, but now he had to leave.

He begged us to go with him, and my parents still said no, frankly I wanted to go, I desired to see a different world I wanted to meet more day ponies and go to school and more, but I also understood that my parents were needed here, the merchants depended so much on them so with tears in their eyes, they said no.

Free Cloud accepted the response, he promised he would visit, I was happy, I was going to see him again, my parents were happy to.

Years went by and I grew stronger, I was able to produce venom of my own and my fangs were strong and steady to bite through stone, there was one problem with my poison though, it was… too strong, that´s my talent actually… If I let my poison have direct contact with the air it bursts in to fire, toxic deadly slimy fire, so … I could not kill anything, it made the meat to toxic to sell

Two years after Free Cloud, we were visited again… but this time they were not friendly…. About 15 stallions and mares dressed in golden cloaks, earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi carrying spears and weapons of all kind.

My parents were patient and talked to them, friendly and all, they stared at my father with an repulsive stare as he talked to them, my mom kept me behind her at all times. I noticed that a particular mare looked at my father´s fangs as he spoke. The look in her eyes, the hatred, I could feel it, sense her rage and hatred through her scent.”

“We are the order of light, devoted to the day and the sun. Regardless of Celestia´s desires and will, we act alone only obeying the sun´s will. You are creatures that defy the natural order and nature of the light. We are here to accuse you of altering the balance of order, for you, are simply a result of mutation and impurity of the darkness of the night. Prepare to be exterminated”

“That was all the mare spoke before the whole group raised their weapons against us, my mother quickly protected me, and my father rose from the ground in fierce battle against the pegasi. I remember my mother telling me to run, I was petrified, I was watching how the spears and swords were cutting my Dad as he snapped his jaws and crushed skulls. When I heard my father telling my mother to run I saw his face, he knew he was going to die; they were too many for him to handle. The look in his eyes, when he looked at me, he was saying good bye, my mom grabbed me and trotted to the forest, I shouted, kicked and begged my mom to stop, I didn’t want to leave my father alone but my mother kept running

I could hear the heavy hoofsteps quickly following us, my mom needed to reach a clear space for her to fly, she never could, we got trapped in the deep forest by those monsters, my mom did all she could to keep them away from me, soon they grabbed her and she was not able to defend herself anymore. … I had watched my parents die in front of my eyes, beaten, cut and burned by daylight ponies as if they were monsters. I just stood there, I was not able to do anything, I had done….nothing. I saw the same mare stepping over my mom´s body, eyeing me as if I were vermin. …. I just snapped, I did not feel anything I did not see anything, I just felt my mind slip in to nowhere. I think you can pretty much guess what happened next.

I went completely blind in all my sanity letting my instincts take control over my body and completely exterminated what was left of those ponies. I guess I fainted of exhaustion when all was over. When I woke up, I was covered in blood and my mouth filled with the metallic flavor of fresh blood, I could feel tore muscle trapped in my teeth. It took me a moment to realize what I had done. I did not feel bad about it.

I lost the will of living and just stayed next to my mother´s body without saying a word, many times I wanted to look for my father, maybe he was still alive, then I realized that was not possible, since I didn’t want to move anymore I stopped having those hopes. As the days went by I felt my body slowly slipping away I laid there in the sun, cold and rain.

One day, I felt a breeze in my face; I opened my eyes and saw something I did not recognize anymore. It was a Pegasus stallion I found familiar, he had a desperate look in his face, he yelled my name over and over, I felt his wings lifting me off the ground, his tears falling over my face.

The next time I woke up, I was strapped to a bed with cables and needles connected to my body, the same stallion sat next to my bed begging me for forgiveness over and over. I realized then, that he was Free Cloud, looking older and with a few new scars.

Well…. Long story short I stayed in Canterlot Hospital for a long time, after my wounds healed I stayed in the mental wing, for a long long long time. I was not good in the head, and I will never be fully… sane.

There was not much for me to do in Canterlot. So I joined the Lunar guards in the beginning just because it was the only way to feel… home in some way. I stayed in the orphanage when the doctors said I was stable enough. I didn’t talk to any pony, there were a lot of them who tried to talk to me and be friendly, there were others who mocked me and made fun of me, let´s just say that after meeting me, they never did that again

Uncle Free Cloud visited me a lot, almost every day after his shift ended, that was my only joy, he played with me and bought me toys and stuff, I told him about the training and how school was, the moments I spent with him were the moments I could forget about the emptiness inside of me.

I never asked who the ponies that killed my parents were, frankly I didn’t want to know any more of them, I just wanted to forget everything from my past. I remember the day Uncle Free came with something on his back, it was tiny and white all over, trembling in fear.”

“Oni, this is my daughter White Fur, I brought her today because she was feeling well enough to come and meet you, she is not a night pony like you, but she sleeps during the day, I was hoping you two could be friends ”

“I still remember when that little fur ball with a messy curly mane came down his back, the moment she looked at my eyes, shaking terrified, she stared at me for a second and she stopped shaking, then she gave the most beautiful smile I ever seen.’’

“It was fun to have her around, she was a… light for my soul, I didn’t feel out of place, I had a friend that could play with me, and that could understand the same connection I had with the moon. She stayed a lot of days with me, we used to sneak out of the orphanage and play under the stars in the Canterlot Gardens. In one of those nights, I told her about my parents and I showed her what I was able to do with my venom, she didn’t seem to be surprised and that´s where I knew everything about the…”

“Order of light” Said a gentle mare voice. White Fur entered the star room with a big cool sheet. Oni lifted his head giving her a smile she unfolded the sheet and placed it over his wings. Oni let out a purr in pleasure.

“The Order of Light was a rebel group of ponies that ignored Princess Celestia´s will, they did not acknowledge her as a ruler, they saw the sun as something that was not meant to be under Celestia´s power. Taking their morals and way of thinking to an extreme level, they decided to … purify… whatever creature was bounded to the moonlight, for them, the night and darkness were something that was entirely evil. Night ponies and other creatures of the night were under their radar. They exterminated and killed every single night creature they encountered. They showed no mercy with ponies or others creatures who helped them, my parents were ponies that served Celestia and shared her thoughts and dreams; sadly, my mother shared my condition and had a very delicate health so she passed away. My father not wanting me to end up the same way turned me in to a nocturnal pony to keep me away from the sunlight. The Order of Light saw this as an attempt to turn me in to a night creature and labeled my father. When they discovered that my father visited Oni at the orphanage they decided to take measures. After attempting to attack my father they set Celestia´s eyes on them by accident. Sadly in one of those attempts they injured my dad to badly, he died of the accumulation of internal damage a few years later.”

“So from then on we lived together in the orphanage until we were old enough to live in the moon palace, Fur here learned her talent and got her cutie mark and I completed my training becoming a royal lunar guard. When we got old we realized we were in love with each other and… here we are” Oni said shorting up the story.

Twilight had listened to the whole story in complete silence, not interrupting, not even letting out any kind of noise showing her emotional state. These two had gone through a lot. She cleared her throat and shifted in her pillow.

“What happened to the rebel group?” she dared to ask.

“Got caught and all the members were executed, the night ponies were to angry and disobeyed Celestia´s rule of no killing.” Oni said in a dry voice.

“Wait wait; were does Flash end up in all this?” Twilight asked “he was your friend right?”

“How does she know about Flash?” White Fur asked in a high pitched voice.

“He´s her personal Guard”

“And when were you going to tell me that you met Flash again?!”

“Soon” Oni said shortly. White Fur gave him a scowl.

“We met Flash in one of our escapades from the orphanage; he was living in the royal guard´s quarters so we played in the Canterlot gardens every time we could.” Oni told Twilight in a rather short and dry way. Twilight knew he was trying to avoid that part of their story. White Fur stared at the floor the whole time Oni spoke. Twilight knew that asking more of this was not proper, but she wanted to know why Flash was so distant and resentful every time he talked to Oni.

“What happened, why are you not friends anymore?”

Twilight looked at Oni´s eyes with full intensity, he held her stare for a second and then he looked at White Fur, she nodded.

“He had a very close friend, almost a marefriend. But she was corrupted by her own darkness. I…I tried to keep her away from him, but it was too late, she did something terrible, unforgivable, he didn’t want to accept the fact that she was evil, so I forced him away from her and hurt him in the process. He never forgave me for that”

Twilight´s eyes widened.

“What was her name?” Twilight felt her voice shaky. She feared for THAT name.

Oni again looked at White Fur for approval, when she nodded, he opened his mouth and before he could say anything the door opened and shut in a quick move. Revealing a tired Flash Sentry once again stripped of his armor.

White Fur rose from the covers and stared at him. Flash lifted his gaze to her.

“Nice to see you again Fur” he said giving her an awkward sad smile.

“Oh you stupid hay headed jerk” she said trotting towards him and hugging him tightly.

Flash flinched a little but hugged her back.

“The moon gang is complete again” Oni said in a whisper Twilight accidentally herd.

“Mama I´m thirsty” a cute tiny voice filled the room. Twilight turned her head towards the source of that cute sleepy voice. A tiny young filly with a light blueberry coat and a short spiky mane stood next to a small door her eyes were a beautiful shade of strong pink in the center a slit pupil tainted in fuchsia revealed her night pony blood. Pair of lavender night pony wings were stretched out from her tiny frame to support her balance, tiny white fangs adorning her cute little mouth.

“Good morning honey I want you to come over here, there is somepony I would like you to meet.”

The tiny filly tilted her head to see the orange stallion standing next to her mother, her eyes went wide and her face lighted with a smile.

“You’re Uncle Flash?! Wow you’re tall!... you look a lot smaller in the pictures!” The young filly trotted rather funny towards Flash.

The orange stallion stared at the tiny figure quickly approaching him completely speechless, the look in his face was one of a complete surprise, White Fur stared at him eager to see his full reaction.

“Papa always tells me about when you and him and Mama played together, is it true that Papa is faster than you?”

The tiny pony stared at Flash with admiration. Flash hesitated for a second and then answered.

“Heck he´s not, he´s always been a slowpoke” his voice came out a bit too loud. The filly laughed.

Soon she picked her father’s scent and directed her gaze to the pillow/sheets mountain.

“PAPA!!! Papa papa papa!!! The filly jumped in the air and awkwardly flew over the pile of pillows and sheets. Oni fire lay on his back and the filly landed on his belly.

“I´ve missed you furry ball! Tell me, have you been obeying your mother?” Oni asked her with a false authoritative voice.

“Yes papa!” the filly answered proud of herself.

“That’s my girl” Oni said ruffling her mane.

White Fur chortled at Flash´s and Twilight´s faces.

“Her name is Moon Rose, she´s our daughter, she may look like a bat pony but she sleeps during the night, apparently she woke up a little early today”

Flash stared at the scene in front of him, they had a filly, a daughter, and they had a family and were happy. He wanted to hate Oni, he really wanted to, but this young filly now prevented him to do so.

Moon Rose stared at Twilight and then smiled.

“Mama… who´s the pretty pony?” she asked innocently.

Twilight blushed.

“She´s Princess Twilight Sparkle moon pie, she will be staying with us for a while”

The Filly´s face lighted up again her cheeks blushed with excitement.

“WOOOOOW a real Princess in my house, cool!” she jumped of her father and ran towards Twilight.

Moon Rose started to run in circles around Twilight, that´s when she saw the bandages. With a deeply concerned face she looked at her in the eyes.

“What happened to you?” she said in a cute worried voice.

Twilight tried to calm her.

“It´s nothing, I wanted to learn how to fly quickly and I didn’t listen to my teacher so I hurt myself a little but it will heal in no time. I´m fine don´t worry”

The filly smiled at her, with big bright pink eyes she said in a high pitched voice.

“I can fix that!”

White Fur placed a hoof on her Daughter’s back.

“Now now love, I don´t think the Princess would like that”

“But she will be all better”

Twilight smiled. The cute little filly really wanted to help.

“I´m sorry princess, you see, she has healing powers in her venom so she wants to help every time she can, but I think that being bitten is the least thing you would want.”

“It´s just a pinch I promise!!” Moon Rose said.

Twilight smiled at her.

“I guess it wouldn´t hurt to try” Twilight said feeling a little nervous.

“Are you sure Princess?” Flash asked her.

“Well, it is a little scary, but so are needles, it´s better if a get well sooner don´t you think?” Twilight said while working her magic on the bandages revealing her wings, her feathers were messy and needed to be groomed.

“Well if the Princess is ok with it, then I don´t see any problem.” White Fur said to her daughter, letting her hoof in the ground again.

Moon Rose approached Twilight with a big smile.

“Were can I bite you?” she asked politely.

Twilight thought for a moment and then extended her front hoof.

The filly inserted her tiny sharp fangs in to Twilight´s skin; she could feel a burning liquid cool and thick invade her body. It was a weird sensation, like if she was given a penicillin shot again.

When Moon Rose backed away a little, she soon started to feel the effect of her venom. Her wings started to feel weird, not weird bad, weird good. Then she unfolded them to their full length, she stretched them, flapped them and moved them to every possible angle. They didn’t hurt, they didn’t feel hard and uncomfortable, Twilight smiled.

“Thank you!” she said to the filly.

Moon Rose smiled licking Twilight´s blood of her fangs.

“Your blood is really yummy Princess!” she said in joy.

Oni broke in laughter, White Fur blushed in embarrassment. Flash just smiled.

“Em…thanks?” Twilight answered a feeling a little weird.

Author's Note:

well guys this is chapter 9, a super super long chapter for you!!! enjoy!!