• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 9,059 Views, 145 Comments

The Princess and the Guard - Dragonfoxgirl



With her new princess title, Twilight feels she has more study to do in the fields of magic and flight. Staying up more than her mind and body can take, it is up to her new personal guard to take care of her.

  • ...
40
 145
 9,059

Flying lessons

Flying was hard… it was harder than learning magic, and a lot more tiring. At least books never made you sweat. Twilight hated sweating. Flash decided that Spike had had enough of picking books up all day; Twilight didn’t control her wings and knocked all the books from a nearby shelf every time she got too excited.

So Flash decided to give Twilight flying lessons, or at least he decided to try.

In a hidden patch of forest the two ponies decided to practice, Flash stripped of his armor to move more freely.

“Ok princess, first we need to get you to control your wings completely, in order for you to do that you need to use them. Your wings are connected directly to your spine and your spine is connected to your brain, your brain controls your body. Now … pegasi foals are slower when learning how to walk and fly, we have six limbs to control, so it´s a little bit harder.”

Twilight tried to calm down; she was so nervous her wings sticked to her frame like they were glued to her body.

“Princess copy me ok?” Flash unfolded his wings and stretched them to their full extent.

Twilight unfolded her wings as Flash told her.

“Now close your eyes princess, try to feel every single feather, every single bone, you need to complete the connection with your brain”

Twilight closed her eyes she tried to feel her wings, every single feather every single bone.

“You feel them?” Flash asked.

“I think I do”

Flash opened his eyes, Twilight´s wings were vibrating, and he smiled. Twilight´s wings were begging to fly.

“You feel them vibrate?”

“Yes … feels very weird” Twilight answered.

“Good princess, now flap your wings, but gently”

Twilight obeyed, slowly and gently she started to flap her wings.

“Excellent princess, flap them a little faster”


Twilight flapped them faster; she felt her body being lifted from the ground.

“I´m doing it!!! I´m flying!!!” Twilight was no longer touching the ground, her whole body suspended in mid air, Flash smiled calmly at her. For a pegasi a first flight was something unique, but for a pony who earned its wings a first flight was something almost unimaginable.

Flash took off, joining Twilight in the air.

“Now you control your wings princess, congratulations. For the next step we gain altitude” Flash took Twilight´s hoof in to his, leading her up in the air.

“Uhhh… Flash I'm not sure I…”

“You'll be fine princess… trust me” Twilight looked at Flash´s eyes; in them she saw a spark.

Twilight smiled at him. They flew slowly to a low cloud and sat there. Twilight looked down, the ground seemed to be far away, she felt weird watching the ground, and it almost looked like a picture of green and brown patches.

“Ok princess, you’re making big progress, now we will try to get you to that cloud over there, but this time you will do it alone ok?, I´ll be flying right next to you, this time you will have to add more force to your flapping ”

Twilight frowned.

“Alone?! I´ll fall!!!, no… I don't want to do it alone…. It´s too high”

Flash sighed. Smiling at Twilight he looked at her and calmed her with a gentle voice.

“Princess, calm down. It´s not that high, and I´ll be right next to you”

Twilight took a deep breath, closing her eyes she repeated the same steps, slowly she took off from the cloud, she opened her eyes in mid air, Flash was right in front of her. She flapped harder, trying to focus on the cloud over her head. The cloud became closer and closer, regaining her confidence she flapped her wings harder gaining speed, just when she was about to reach the cloud she felt wings heavy, she became tired and she was starting to loose paising.

“Princess, do not force your wings, regain your paising, if you add too much force you´ll get tired” Flash took her hoof in his, if she got too tired her wings would instantly unfold to her body. Twilight tried to pick up a gentler page, it was hard, and she started panting. Flash´s hoof tighten around Twilight’s.

“It´s ok princess, relax… breathe … you know you can do this… focus on your wings”

Twilight listened to Flash´s soothing voice, she closed her eyes, taking a deep breath and holding it she remembered the pacing, slowly she regained control and started to move upwards to the cloud. She landed on the mushy surface with a big smile filled with confidence.

“I did it!!!... well you still had to hold my hoof, but still I did it!!!” Twilight jumped up and down in glee.

Flash smiled, he still had to teach her a lot more, but watching her so happy made him feel warm inside.

“Keep your own pacing in mind while you’re flying, until it becomes natural to you you'll have to do that”

Twilight sat on the cloud catching her breath.

“You are a very good teacher Flash Sentry, it is an honor to be your first student” Twilight said, overacting her voice in a theatrical way.

Flash laughed silently.

After a few minutes of relaxing on the cloud, Twilight lifted her head up; a big patch of cloud floated a little bit too far in the air. Twilight started to think. She looked at Flash, who was resting with his eyes closed; Twilight looked at the cloud again. If she could fly to that cloud without Flash´s help she could continue to the next step in flying lessons.

Slowly she stood up, not making a single noise she flapped her wings carefully, she flew up and up silently, repeating her pacing in her head, concentrating all she could she started to fly to the big cloud. She smiled, full of confidence and feeling proud about herself she dared to add more force to her wings; she was now too high that the trees looked like green dots and the crops looked like squared shaped patches of different types of green.

She was almost there; she pictured her guard´s face filled with amazement, a pony that could fly this high in its first lesson, of course not any type of pony, an alicorn.

Twilight became overpowered by her pride and confidence. Of course she could do it!!!, she was an alicorn, the most powerful type of pony, the princess of magic herself, flying to that cloud should not even be a little bit hard……



Suddenly…



Twilight felt her wings heavy……..



She was flapping them too hard……



She held her breath……



…..
…..





Her heart stopped…..


….
….





Her mind froze…..




…..
…..





And so did her wings.






She felt herself falling, pulled by gravity, she watched as the cloud becoming tinier. She couldn’t scream, she couldn’t move.

She wanted to scream. She wanted to call her guard´s name but her body refused to move. She felt tears in her eyes. She felt her heart thundering in her chest, her vision started to blur. The shock overcame her mind.

Darkness invaded her eyes, a moment before the slipped into nothingness she heard her name being yelled in despair.


“TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!”

She woke up with a headache, her body felt weird and her wings hurt, her legs felt numb. She felt a wing covering her, her head rested against a furry muscular chest, it´s heart beating fast; she opened her eyes and looked at her guard´s face. Flash had a very serious face, frowning deeply, his breathing was long and slow trying to calm himself down.

His left wing covered Twilight´s body in a tight grip; he could not get the picture of Twilight´s body falling unconsciously to the ground. It didn't feel right for him letting go yet.

Twilight blushed heavily, not because she was strongly held by her guard in a very protective way, but because she couldn’t bare the shame she felt. She had disobeyed her guard´s advice, she had let herself been overpowered by her pride, she became too confident. She acted recklessly like a spoiled filly; she thought that just because of being an alicorn she would have been better in flying….. She was so wrong. Her reckless actions almost led her to certain death if Flash´s instincts hadn't told him something bad was happening.

Flash gave her a hurt look, folding his wing, he uncovered Twilight´s body.

“Maybe this will make you follow future instructions princess” Flash looked at Twilight´s wings and so did Twilight.

She gasped in horror, her beautiful wings were twisted, and her feathers were messy and sticking out in weird angles.

“The air pressure created by your fall hurt them enough, do not worry princess, they did not break…. But they were almost about to” Flash spoke in a low pitched voice, filled with concerned and anger.

He stood up immediately followed by Twilight who couldn’t look at his face.

“Let´s go home princess, we need to take care of your wings” Flash said dryly.

Flash walked a few steps ahead of Twilight, he stomped his hooves heavily in the ground applying great force pushing the ground with his heavy hooves. He needed to cool down, he was too angry and he didn't want her to notice, he heard Twilight´s hooves following him. She had been naïve, foolish, reckless. What she did was beyond stupid. The image of Twilight falling, the feeling of her tears in his face as he dived to catch her, the feeling of her lifeless body as he finally cached her. All that mixed up with his anger made him feel awful, he wanted to break something, he wanted to yell at her, to tell her how stupid the thing she had done was, he wanted to hug her, wrap her with his wings tightly to feel that she was still there, alive and safe.

The trip back home was dense, silent and it felt longer that it actually was. Spike greeted them with a happy face but the minute he saw Flash´s angry face with his muscles tense and Twilights ashamed face with her eyes looking at the floor, he knew that the best thing he could do was to stay silent.

The second he saw Twilight´s wings he went to the kitchen for the emergency kit. Flash couldn’t look at her yet, he was too angry. Following Spike he tried to calm down. Twilight looked at the stallions back; his muscles were extremely tensed up. She filled herself with courage and spoke in a low voice.

“I'm sorry” her voice cracked at the end. Flash stopped, still not looking at her.

“What I did was stupid, I thought I could do it, I…I wanted to surprise you, I wasn't thinking through……uuumm…are…are you angry?”

Flash listened carefully at Twilight´s voice; he could feel how sorry she was. He sighed heavily letting all the air out of his body.

“Just…. A little”

Flash left her alone. Twilight did not know what to do, or what to say.

“What happened?... is she ok?” Spike asked worriedly.

“She´s fine, I'll tell you later” Flash dryly responded.

“Are you ok?” Spike asked him, noticing again his tensed body.

Flash filled his lungs with air.

“I will be” he grabbed the emergency kit and left the kitchen.

Twilight tensed up when she saw him; she silently stood still while Flash carefully wrapped her wings to her body with bandages.

She couldn’t hold it anymore.

Turning her body, facing her guard, looking directly into his eyes, she buried her face into the stallion’s chest, her eyes flowing with big tears.

“I´m so so so sorry!, what I did was stupid, beyond stupid!!!, please don't be mad. It was so scary, I couldn't move, I wanted to yell, but I froze!!!...I….I…”

Flash covered her with his wings pressing her body against his, lowering himself; he rested his head on top of Twiligh´s.

“Shhh…It´s ok princess you’re safe now… I…I’m not angry…just a little tense” Flash calmed Twilight

He could feel Twilight´s sobbing calming down. He realized how scared she must had felt, how terrifying must have been to be so shocked, so scared that she couldn't even move or control her mind. Knowing that if she didn’t she would die.

After a while Twilight finally calmed down and stopped crying.

“Before I fainted… you screamed my name right?... It was you?” Twilight looked at her guard who blushed furiously.

“You scared me to hard princess, I forgot protocol”

“I have to almost die to get you to say my name?” Twilight joked feeling a lot more loosen up.

Flash ignored her question, knowing that she was joking.

“Time for bed princess, no studying for at least two weeks until your wings heal”

“What!!!, are you punishing me?!” Flash did not listen to her complaints, he smiled. Finally he was calm and Twilight was back to herself, he knew that it would be a while before another lesson, the healing and the shock would be a problem.

“Yes princess” Flash said in an authoritative voice, whipping the remaining tears of Twilight's face with his wings.

“I´m not a filly, you can't punish me!!”

“I´m your guard, my job is to protect you from others and from yourself in some cases… this is one of those cases…. Do not argue princess and go to rest” Flash pushed Twilight to the stairs with his right wing.

“Ok…ok….. Can I read one more chapter before?”

“Princess”

“Ok ok… I get ….. Good night”

“Rest princess”

Flash watched Twilight disappearing through the stairs, the minute he heard her door close, his body felt numb, his muscles untensed, his wings hurt, his legs went numb. He let his body fall to the ground in a loud thump.

“For Celestia´s plot….. That was too much” he silently said to himself.

Spike poked his head through the kitchen door.

“Flash… are you ok?”

“Spike … do you have some strong cider in there?”

The dragon nodded.

Author's Note:

chapter 4!!! XD hope you all guys like it.
Thank you soooooooo much for all the awesome comments and support!!!!