• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 3,135 Views, 151 Comments

Ace Combat: The Conversion Bureau - Eagle



The Conversion Bureau falls into the Stangereal world of Ace Combat

  • ...
24
 151
 3,135

Three

“Did you know there are three kinds of aces? Those who seek strength, those who live for pride, and those who can read the tide of battle. Those are the three.”
-Larry “Solo Wing Pixy” Foulke


Twinkle Islands, west of Farbanti, Erusia
September 27th, 2010
07:00 Hours

It was a very simple mission; fly over the capitol a couple of times in order to show who had the real power. Get in, be noticed, and get out; an easy propaganda victory. That was the problem; it was too easy for Rainbow Dash.

She wanted to do something more; go after one of those fighter jets. She was the best and wanted to prove it. She was looking for a challenge, but they were ordered to retreat if they made contact before reaching the capital.

“Not gonna happen!” she thought. “If anything gets in the way, I’ll just brush them aside and continue on.”

It was just her and one other Pegasus; a mare called Flitter. Flying over the island chain as the rising sun reflected beautifully off the ocean. There were a few clouds, but not enough to obscure vision.

The old quote “be careful what you wish for” would be most appropriate as Dash spotted three planes patrolling nearby.

“Hey, Flitter! Look over there!” she yelled in excitement over her radio. “Let’s go nail ‘em!”

“You sure Dash? We were ordered to avoid contact,” Flitter said.

Dash had already broken away and was speeding towards the jets.

"Don’t worry,” Dash said. “How good can they be?”



Aquila “Yellow” Squadron
Federal Erusian Air Force
156th Tactical Fighter Wing

Yellow 13, the leader of the squadron, and Yellow 4 watched from a high altitude as two Pegasi fell into their trap. Their enemies dropped onto the tails of two of the three circling SU-37 Terminators. Those aircraft then turned so that 13 and 4 would be in a perfect position to attack the attackers.

"Yellow 4, engage the enemy immediately,” 13 ordered. “Take down that Rainbow one, I’ll get the other.”

13 and 4 dove into the attack.


These pilots were good. Dash had landed a couple gun hits on her target, but the jet’s maneuvering prevented her from getting a solid hit. This was getting irritating. Both human jets and Pegasi had advantages over the other. Pegasi were more nimble, for example, while the planes could take more damage.

Just as she was about to get a solid lock, missile warnings sounded. She turned and saw another jet on her six. She broke off her attack and attempted to evade. The radio again buzzed to life with Flitter’s voice.

“Dash! One of them is on me! Get it off-,” the voice went to static as Dash saw her get hit and fall into the ocean.

A feeling of shock and disbelief had come about her, unable to believe what was happening. That feeling was replaced by a new one as she realized she was now alone against five enemy planes; it was fear. She had felt it before, but never like this.

She focused on dodging the many attacks that came her way; twisting and turning to avoid getting hit. Eventually her base commander’s voice ringed in her head.

“Dash, what’s going on!?”

She couldn’t respond any more than heavy breathing.

“Get out! Get back here!” the commander’s voice came again.

Dash turned north and tried to get away. The planes were still behind her. She focused on her speed; going faster and faster.


Yellow 13 was getting closer to the running cyan target when something struck his plane. A strange, Rainbow colored shockwave hit the squad and tossed the planes like toys. When he regained control of his plane, the target was gone; leaving a rainbow colored trail behind. The squad reformed.

“All ships, report,” 13 ordered.

All 5 craft responded. 13 took pride in not losing a wingman. He looked at the trail left by his would-be victim and determined that, even if they could catch it, they’d run out of fuel doing so.

“Yellow squadron, RTB,” he ordered.

“The Rainbow one is quite skilled,” he thought. “Quite skilled, very deadly.”


Rainbow finally got back home. Her legs were shaking badly; she could barely stand. Her sense of fear was replaced by depression.

She hung her head low. Flitter had died because of a decision she had made. She couldn’t let that happen again. To be responsible for a friend’s death was too much. She did remember one thing, though.

Depression turned to anger as she remembered how the planes were painted. They were mostly spotted with different shades of grey with the tips of their wings and tails painted yellow. She remembered specifically one part of Flitter’s attacker; a large number emblazoned in yellow, 013.

She couldn’t stand the feeling of defeat. She would find Flitter’s killer and shoot him down. She was the best, and she was going to prove it for her dead teammate.


Tiger Naval Base
Union of Yuktobanian Republics
September 27th 2010
03:00 Hours

It was a quiet, dark, cloudy night. It was perfect for the kind of operation the Shadowbolts, at least in this case Nightingale and Descent, were about to perform.

Ever since they were drafted to fly combat mission for their skill, the Shadows had always been passed up for the more important mission by the Wonderbolts. This always got to Nightingale that they were thought to be second rate. With this new war, the Shadows hoped to gain the top spot, the power to influence, the recognition, the fame that the Wonders had.

At least tonight she had the comfort of knowing that their mission was important. That mission was the destruction of two superweapons before they could be used against them.

The Tiger Naval Base was home to Yuktobania’s two massive submarine superweapons. These submarines, the Scinfaxi and her sister, the Hrimfaxi, had the ability to launch long range ballistic missiles that, when they struck, annihilated everything below 5,000 feet in a 2,500 ft. radius.

The infiltration wasn’t difficult; especially since the Yukes weren’t expecting anything. Both Pegasi were carrying small armor-piercing bombs containing a powerful potion that would eat at the metal of the subs. Once the bombs penetrated their way into the ships, the liquid would corrode the metal and dissolve it until there was nothing left of them.

The two came in quickly, observing radio silence, skimming the tops of the waves. They came in closer to their target, and still the base suspected nothing. Eventually they came close enough to release the bombs. They did so and sped away without a sound. The bombs fell quietly through the air and went into the hulls of the ships.

Their containments went to work quickly, corroding the two massive subs. The guards on watch couldn’t believe what they were seeing. They thought the ships were disappearing before their eyes. By the time they realized what happened, their boats were gone.

Come morning there was truly nothing left. Some arriving troops questioned if the two ships had been hijacked. It wouldn’t be until later in the day that the realization of what was unfolding across the world.

Upon further inspection of the base, they discovered something much more frightening. The subs’ entire supply of the powerful burst missiles were missing without a trace.


Gracemeria, Emmeria
September 27th, 2010
10:00 Hours

It was a truly beautiful day in the sprawling metropolis. Built around a bay, the largest of the city was built to the east and the old castle and the air force base in the east. The two sides were connected by a long bridge, the King’s Bridge, running along the entrance to the bay.

It was mostly quiet, save for the birds that were singing. That silence was all of a sudden broken by a loud sound like thunder, followed by a shaking and a blast of wind from an explosion; a missile had struck the middle of the bridge and collapsed a section. This was soon steadily followed by the sounds of chaos, people screaming, more explosions, and the roar of jet fighters taking off.

At Gracemeria Air Force Base, an F-15E Strike Eagle rolled onto the runway to take off; it was flanked by an F-16C, the commander of Windhover Squadron, and an F/A-18F, the commander of Avalanche Squadron.

“They took out king’s bridge!” one of the pilots yelled. “Who’s attacking? What the hell’s going on!? Control, get those planes up fast!”

“Give me a damage assessment now!” one demanded.

“We’ve taken extensive damage from those bombers, including a number of civilian casualties!” replied another.

"Alright, we're going after the bombers, but we can't hold out much longer."

The three planes lined up on the runway.

“Garuda One, you are clear for takeoff,” the tower said. “Don’t get over-eager; just do what you always do!”

The engines of the three planes pushed them down the runway. They pulled their noses up and took off into the sky.

“Garuda One, liftoff,” the tower reported. “Cerberus team, runway clearance granted. Takeoff when ready.”

The planes gained altitude and formed up with a large body of aircraft preparing to defend the city.

“All aircraft under airborne command’s jurisdiction following takeoff. This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill!”


Garuda Squadron
Republic of Emmeria Air Force
8th Air Wing, 28th Fighter Squadron

“Airborne Warning and Control System Ghost Eye to all scrambling defense craft. The situation has not yet been ascertained. We must implement an emergency reformation. Follow your individual instructions,” the AWACS ordered. “Garuda one you do not have a wingman. Let’s see…Shamrock.”

Garuda One, callsign Talisman, looked back and saw another F-15E.

“Shamrock are you alone, too?” Ghost Eye asked. “Very well, as of now you’re Garuda Two.”

“Okay,” he replied, forming up next two Garuda One. “So I’m Garuda Two. Garuda One, I’ve got your back. No time for introductions now though. Go ahead and I’ll follow your lead. Never was good with directions anyhow.”

“Garuda Team, you re authorized to engage any hostiles above Gracemeria,” Ghost Eye said.

“Roger that!” Shamrock replied. “May the Golden King smile upon us!”

The two planes dived down and began to engage the enemies. Ordering Shamrock to cover him, Talisman dove on a fighter and quickly understood who was attacking.

“We’ve got an idea on the invaders; we’re engaged with the Equestrian military,” Ghost Eye reported.

“The Equestrians?” Avalanche said. “They country’s hated us for years; looks like they finally snapped.”

“All ships to terminate the enemy forces over the bay. Get those anti-air guns ready for battle!” an admiral said.

The DJ at the local radio station sent out a warning.

“We interrupt this broadcast for an emergency new report. Gracemeria is currently under attack by Equestrian forces. The damage apparently extends throughout the entire capitol.”

The land based anti-air units also began to fire.

“Focus all anti-air fire on those bombers. Don’t let ‘em get any closer.”

Talisman got behind a group of three bombers. These Pegasi, like the recon, had no defensive weapons, sacrificing them for carrying bigger ordinance. The bombers today carried a mix of conventional explosives and bombs containing liquid that converted citizens on the spot.

Talisman shot down two while Shamrock got the other one. Two fighters came at them head on and were also shot down. They gained altitude and dived on another group of three bombers, gunning down all three.

“I’ve been strafed! Who the hay did that?” one of them cried before he hit the ground.

“This is commander Windhover of the 15th Squadron; the enemy is expanding his field of attack. Stay alert.”

Avalanche and his Squadron of Hornets shot down their own target of four enemy fighters.

“Looks like the ponies are runnin’ outa steam,” he said. “Had enough boys?”

Windhover and his Falcons shot down another squadron of four.

“So those bastards think they can just barge in without even calling first,” Windhover said.

“Unbelievable, I say we teach them some manners before we kick them out!” Shamrock responded.

The Emmerians then focused an attack over the large amount of targets over the bay. The guns and missiles of the fleet shot down most low fliers, while the jets got most of the others.

“That’s what I like to hear, our air force is holding down the enemy. Keep it up!” the DJ announced.

“The Equestrian threat level is low now. Drive them out of Emmeria.” Ghost Eye said. “Wait, I’ve got a new formation on radar! They’re coming in fast!”


Spitfire was leading the Wonderbolts, all fifteen of them, towards the target. The entire squadron usually didn’t come out at once, but this was too important; they needed everyone.

She was focused on the objective, they all were. Her strict, no-nonsense attitude she usually used at the academy was present here, due to the seriousness of the situation. The city soon came into view.

“Ok, we’re going to take control of the air over the city,” she said. “Everyone just remember your training, watch each other’s backs, and we’ll be fine.”

“Don’t worry, this shouldn’t be too tough,” Soarin said in a calm, confident manner. “We’re just gonna sweep Emmeria under the rug!”

Spitfire was always amazed by Soarin. If not by his insatiable appetite for pie, then it was his ability to have a laid-back attitude in the most stressful situations.


"Whoa! Who are these guys?” Avalanche said upon seeing the new formation. “And what’s with the blue suits?”

“Wait…Those are Wonderbolts!” Windhover realized in horror.

“Wonder..what?”

“Wonderbolts, they’re Equestria’s aerial acrobatics squadron. They’re supposed to be the country’s best fliers,” Windhover said as they engaged the enemy. “Be careful.”

“Ugh…I can’t get a bead on him!” Avalanche said while trying to stay with his target.

“One of them hit me!” another pilot said.

Talisman tried to get a lock on one, but two of his partners attacked the jet and he had to break off. Shamrock was busy trying to lose another one. The Wonderbolts continued to tear into the human jets.

“This is Fleetfoot, I’ve got the target! Comencing attack!”

“All Wonderbolts, Gracemeria is ours for the taking! Take these guys out quick! Don’t let them regroup and recover!” Spitfire said

“Roger,” Soarin replied.

“Half our planes are off the radar!” Avalanche yelled.

“Evade like hell if you want out of this alive!” Windhover yelled.

“Dammit! What about our city? What about Gracemeria?” Shamrock replied.

“Warning! Additional enemy units have been spotted bringing up the rear; you don’t want to know how many!” Ghost Eye warned upon seeing a large number of dots appear on his radar that were heading towards the city.

The humans continued to try to hit the enemy, but they couldn’t touch them.

“This is Ghost Eye to all planes. Air Defense Command has ordered an evacuation. You’ve been ordered to give up Gracemeria. Break away from this airspace and head west.”

“Are you out of your mind? We con’t comply with that order!” Windhover protested.

“We are militarily at a huge disadvantage. Comply with the order and head west,” Ghost Eye replied.

“This is Avalanche, we’re not going anywhere!”

“Listen! It’s only temporary!” Ghost Eye said. “The plan is to withdraw, meet up with all remaining force from each are, and then regroup for a counter-attack. We can’t afford to lose you, follow the order.”

“This is Garuda Two to Garuda One; we really should get out of here.”

With that the remaining planes retreated west to escape. The Equestrians didn’t pursue, being too worn out to follow

“I promise we’ll be back for you, just a little longer,” Shamrock said.


Spitfire and the rest of the Wonderbolts were relaxing after the battle; with Soarin eating on a pie he found in an abandoned human bakery. Though any citizens that were left in the city were supposed to be converted immediately, there were too many here to do all at once. It would take some time.

At least her squad had won the battle, and without a single casualty. Word was that their ground forces had already separated the country of Emmeria form their neighbor, Estovakia. Maybe Soarin was right. Maybe this would be a short war.

Author's Note:

And so, I once again ventured into the dangerous waters of character in hopes of finding fortune. I really do think I did better getting their personalities right than the first two chapters, but let me know.

Also, I want to see if anyone can match the three kinds of aces to the ponies featured in this chapter.

P.S. a happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans. (No ignorant Jingoism intended)