• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 5,158 Views, 595 Comments

Dimension Jumper - redtau



Dimensional Explorer Sarah Jordan is trapped in a land filled with Nightmare spirits, wooden wolves, and ponies.

  • ...
34
 595
 5,158

PreviousChapters
Epilogue

Frank stormed down the hallway towards his office, pissed off and muttering to himself. Behind him a technician was still babbling about the mess on the production floor.

"-upset the resonance or harmonics. Everyone going out got dumped back violently, and I don't know if we will be able to recall those who are already out. Then there is the damage to the landing bay, the processing facility-"

"I don't care about the details, just give me the basics. How many people did we lose? How soon can we get back up and running?"

"At least one hour before we can launch or receive pods again," the tech stated, "provided the blast didn't upset something in the void. There is a good chance we lost about seven percent of the on site conversion pods for good and two of the jumpers on the floor were seriously injured. There at least one pod was transitioning in when the explosion occurred. We are pulling records now to see what it might have been carrying to cause such a disruption."

"Get on it. Prioritize cleanup for landing, I don't want to lose anymore employees or hardware-"

A woman in a heavily stained coverall ran up the hall towards him. "Sir! We might have a code 7R on our hands!"

Frank came to a halt, brought up short. "Why? What's happening?"

"Something just ripped through the companion chamber!" she exclaimed, leaning against the wall to catch her breath. Frank's eyes widened as he realized just what the stains on her clothes were. "Every companion A class or higher was released or banished except for the Devouerer Parasites. It- they...." the woman paled at the memory, "s-so much blood."

The tech's phone went off with a high pitched alarm ringtone. "It's the Jumper Dorms emergency line!" the tech shouted, answering the phone and switching it to speaker mode. An unearthly wailing erupted from the speakers, the sound of men and women screaming, crying and yelling nonsense. The bloodstained woman let out a cry and fled the noise, running down the hall as fast as she could to get away.

"What is going on over there?!" Frank yelled into the phone. "REPORT, DAMN IT!"

"MOST OF THE PEOPLE HERE ARE SCREAMING, CRYING OR GIBBERING WITH FEAR!" someone yelled back over the noise. "AND THE REST ARE CATATONIC!"

"How many injured? How many dead?!" The tech called out.

"MASSIVE INJURIES AND EVERYONE IS SUFFERING SOME KIND OF MENTAL TRAUMA!" the person on the other end responded. "BUT ZERO CASUALTIES, THANK GOD!" The screaming in the background picked up for a second before the call ended.

"Right," Frank said, flipping out his phone and hitting an emergency contact. "Code 7R, put isolation protocols in place, we have an extra dimensional invader. Have security start a sweep of the building starting with the exits and working in." He ended the call and turned to the tech. "Call me if anything else happens, I'm heading to my office." The tech nodded and turned to leave.

Running up to the door he could hear his secretary juggling calls.

"Mr. Harrison's office, please hold. Mr. Harrison's office, please hold. Mr. Harrison's office, yes, I understand, please hold," she said politely but quickly. She spotted Frank coming down the hall and muted her current call. "Mr. Harrison! You have fifteen messages and requests for calls back from regulators, news outlets and one John Oliver."

"How did they find out so fast?" Frank growled. "They will all have to wait until we have a better grasp on the situation. "

Frank dodged past a cleaning woman and ducked into his office while muttering to himself. "We have a decent stockpile of anchors for power at least. We don't need to worry about running dry any-"

The computer was on. His computer was on. His personal computer was on and logged in and some kind of program was running on screen.

What the fuck? Was the cleaning person using it without permission to play some web game and got it infected? Just what I need, I'll fire that bitch! Even more pissed off, he stormed over to his desk. "Jennifer!" he called to his secretary, "find out who that cleaning woman was! She...."

He stared at the screen, his brain not processing what he was seeing. Several folders were open on the desktop, each showing files that should have been heavily encrypted. There were private spreadsheets, notes on worlds targeted for raiders, memos about the deadliest combinations of companions, even his personal list of which jumpers had been expendable and how they should be... expended.

The left hand side of the screen displayed his outgoing email. In the last few minutes letters with attachments had been sent out to a long string of addresses. State regulators, board of directors, CNN, Fox News. Realizing what this kind of data dump meant, Frank tried to shut down the computer, but the keyboard and mouse wouldn't respond. He held down the power button and still got no results. Desperate to stop whatever hack or virus this was, he tried to yank the power cable from the machine.

The power and network cables were fused into the tower. A quick check found them fused to the wall ports as well.

"What- what the fuckis-?"

His cell phone rang and he answered it with a snap. "WHAT?!"

"Sir!" the tech answered in a panicked voice, "Another incident! Your car!"

"My car?" Frank asked in disbelief.

"Yes, sir! It's on fire!"

The building fire alarms began to blare, strobe lights and sirens working to turn Frank's headache into a massive migraine.

His computer dinged and he looked down.

To: AcqVP@ARCO.com

From: SJordan@ARCO.com

Subject: My Dearest Frank



Fuck You


-S,N,M,D

The sprinklers started, the deluge of water tripping a circuit breaker somewhere and finally killing the computer. He was ruined, even if ARCO as a company could survive all the damage and scandal he personally was ruined.

"SJordon?" he asked aloud. "SARAH! I should have shipped a nuke to that piss ant world as soon as the talking candy horse mentioned you were still alive! You may have destroyed me but you don't have anywhere to fucking run! I'm going to hunt you down and wring the life from your worthless neck if it's the last thing that I-"

"SIR!" the tech on the phone cried out again. "New Contact! R and D was just hit! The prototype multi-point jump ship was just stolen!"


~~~~~Six Months Later~~~~~


The wide clearing that had been the battlefield still held many scars. Craters pockmarked the field, and the blast shadow of the daemon's last shot was deeply etched in. The wide path blown into the Everfree by the soulshard rifle would take decades to heal, even with the forest's strange magic. Six months was too short a time for the damage to the land to repair without aid. No aid had been given or asked, the damage had been left as a reminder of the sacrifice that had been made here. The only alteration to the clearing was an six sided pillar. On each face was a carved image of one of each species that had fought, and under the image were the names of the fallen.

Princess Twilight shifted her new wings slightly as she looked out over the clearing, trying to hide the nervous energy she felt while looking over the pillar. So much had changed, relations with the other races had opened up and those who had been outcasts in the Everfree were being lauded as heroes in their homelands. Almost everyone had celebrated the victory like the end of some great war.

Almost everyone. Princess Luna and Princess Celestia had not taken more than a days rest. They had tasked her with uncovering as much as she could about the dimensional travel Sarah and the raider had used. While Twilight had been unable to produce a working jump ship or even an inter-dimensional probe, she had been able to reverse engineer the detection array Machina had built into the library. With that knowledge, she had managed to set up a massive detection grid and listen for any incoming jumps much further out than Machina had.

Which was why she was standing in the field now next to Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Queen Chrysalis, her friends, and Discord. Each of her friends wore their element, and stood ready at a moments notice. Two dozen of the strongest unicorn sorcerers in Equestria stood by, along with fifty changeling warriors.

Beyond them were nearly fifty of Equestria's newest troop, the Equestrian Mechanized Guard. Lance wore his latest model armor, powered by a diamond that shone like the sun. Starlight stood by his side encased in her own variant armor. Shining Armor, Princess Cadence, and a massive multinational army stood ready only a short distance away. Though, Twilight thought, if whatever was coming could get past the princesses, Chrysalis and Discord, the army is going to be hard pushed to do anything.

A few moments later, and a massive machine appeared in the field before them. It was larger than the pod Machina had described to her, almost as big as Sugar Cube Corner.

A door on the right side opened, and a man stepped out. Naked from the waist up, he had glowing golden eyes, and fiery red hair that seemed to flicker and shift in an ethereal wind. Coiled around each arm were long serpentine dragons, gold on the left arm and silver on the right. The three of them scanned the crowd and frowned, moving a little away from the pod.

After him came another creature. It looked male, and resembled the fiery one from the waist up. From the waist down he was a thing of nightmares. A massive metal body like some daemonic scorpion supported him. Each limb ended in a mixture of vicious blades and threatening barrels. Both guards circled the pod slowly, looking over the area and the forces gathered against them. Finally the fiery one leaned back into the door.

"llA raelc!" he called.

A woman emerged with long dark hair. A pair of black wings hung from her back, each looking like they were cut from the night sky. Her left arm was studded with thick dark crystals glowing in deep reds and purples, and ended in a vicious claw that easily twice the size a normal hand should have been. Her right arm was silvery metal with painfully bright light seeping through the seams, hinting at the barely contained power. A disfiguring burn covered the left side of her face, highlighting the empty eye socket. She ran her right hand through her hair, and the dark tresses swirled over the empty eye. A soft glowing turquoise eye opened in the hair, it's dragon slit pupil narrowing in the sunlight.

The woman stepped forward until she was roughly halfway between the pod and the Princesses. "Princess Luna," she said with a chorus of four voices, three female and one male. The Equestrians all cringed away from it for a moment, Chrysalis raised her eyebrows in surprise, and Discord smiled unnervingly. "Princess Celestia," her gaze fell on Twilight and she raised an eyebrow. "Princess Twilight Sparkle, Bearers of the Elements of Harmony."

Sarah bent on one knee and bowed low.

"We are in need of your assistance."

Author's Note:

And Dimension Jumper is done!
I want to thank everyone who has read to this point, those of you who started with me on this journey almost three years ago and those of you who have just found this tale.

I want to extend special thanks to my Beta reader and beautiful wife without whom this would not have been possible.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 39 )

WOOOHOOOO!
Awesome!

Is there going to be a sequal?

Okay i want to know what happened XD


That was fucking amazing. Tis been a while since i read such story thus good

Sequal??

"Sir!" the tech answered in a panicked voice, "Another incident! Your car!"

"My car?" Frank asked in disbelief.

"Yes, sir! It's on fire!"

This part really had me cracking up.

"SIR!" the tech on the phone cried out again. "New Contact! R and D was just hit! The prototype multi-point jump ship was just stolen!"

WOOHOOO, MULTIDIMENSIONAL ROAD TRIP!!!!

I think the actual title of this chapter is Arco's Humiliation Conga.

I do love how the races of Equestria have come together, very awesome. But why didn't the dragon show up???

Sequel???? Please??? Link????

OMGWTF?
Cosmic powers of friendship? Used for epic revenge? Really?

You know, I cannot count how many security protocols should be broken for this situation to happen. And with these superpowers, why just not to blow up the building with Frank? "That would be bad"? Then - enable sprinklers and give him 10000 Volts.

WELL.

THAT ESCALATED OMNIDIMENSIONALLY.

The whole story has been a fantastic ride and that epilogue was just like a delicious treat to wrap it all up. The world building was intriguing, the use of canon was tasteful, the descriptions and characters were interesting and full of depth, but never a chore to read.

I liked it a lot. :twilightsmile:

JMP

Who's James? The narration in the first portion of the chapter goes from talking about Frank, to someone named James, then back to Frank.

And this ended rather....suddenly. There going to be a sequel? I'd love to read one.

7140860 Oops! Thanks for spotting that, it will be fixed

7140665
7140441
7140429
7140409

There is a "sequel" in Phase Shift that runs congruent with Dimension Jumper. It is still being released and the early chapters are being tweaked.

Both Phase Shift and Dimension Jumper have a planed and outlined but as yet unreleased conclusion called Asylum that will cover plot holes in both as well as developments in Equestria between the battle and Sarah's return.

7141034 oh okay.... Hhmm r 63 equis???? Interesting....

7146216

Twilight Sparkle approves. :twilightsmile:

KB

I read this entire thing in one day. Man... Time for the sequel!

7163858 I'm working on it!

Really got into this story, all in all, one of my favourite stories I've read. Both creative and well written.
I loved all the refrences you made.

Though I have to ask: was applejack fears of clowns or Celestia burning the badlands a refrence to anything or just good background context you liked.

(The ending was a little quick but it matched the tempo the story had increase to,) I look forward to reading both the Phase Shift (congruent sequel) and Asylum (conclusion).

7177756 The fear of clowns joke is *borrowed* though I can't recall the source. It was basically there for the "fear of colors" line and to guide the ponies into going to the right Nightmare Night ride.

Celestia's solar flare ability is inspired by a number of old sci-fi novels. In this universe the original changelings had joined with Sombra cultists, Nightmare loyalists and separatists to try and bring down the Equestrian throne. By the time Celestia, who was now having to run a kingdom recovering from the Nightmare all by herself, discovered what was happening there were few options. The fanatics were not going to back down. Any standard offense would not only take years and cost a lot of lives and resources better spent rebuilding and repairing. With outside powers sniffing around looking for openings, Celestia tried to deescalate and reason with the cultists. There response was a swath of brutal assassinations and raids that damaged border towns and pushed one noble house to near extinction.

Celestia's wrath still scars the land to this day.

As for that noble house, you will be happy to know that it managed to recover under the Princess's care. in fact, House Sparkle is doing quite well these days.

7179806
Interesting... and very fitting.
Thanks for the reply.

This stories pure unbridled badassery kept me reading it non stop.:pinkiehappy: Not to mention that, that was an epic ending.:rainbowlaugh:

7255618 Thank you, I've worked hard on it.

7395221 both also is twist dead you can mark it as spoiler

I'm going to have to be honest, this story fell apart near the end. James is so one-dimensional that I couldn't even be bothered to really hate him. The revelation that that ARCO (or at least its upper management) was outright evil comes across as yet another example of the "evil corporation" cliche. If you look at real life, then you'll see that corporations are mostly amoral rather then outright evil. Case in point: Georgia Governor vetoing a blatantly homophobic bill after numerous corporations threatened to pull out of the state if the bill was singed into law. North Carolina's HR2 law may end up sharing the same fate, thanks in part to the 68 corporations that have filed brief to stop it.

And if you're going to have an evil corporation, then at least make them a smart evil corporation. If you want to get the most use out of a place that your organization has discovered, then the smart thing to do would be to make nice with the rulers so that they'll give you as much leeway as possible. If that doesn't work, then you seek out people who are unhappy with the current regime, make sure that they're reliable, and provide them with equipment and training to overthrow the current rulers. Honestly, whoever thought it would be a good idea to send James, a complete psychopath (and thus a loose cannon who's only loyalty is to himself) should have been fired for gross stupidity, rehired as a janitor, then fired again for good measure.

It's a real shame, because I was enjoying it up to that point.

7526980
Wow, that is a lot to take in. Thanks for your honesty! Since this is my first story I know that there are a lot of weak elements. ARCO is suffering from a sort of internal takeover and the raider model is akin to strip mining: Go in and grab what you can fast. Not sustainable but it does net a large initial burst of power. If I was going to rewrite it I would include more internal politics and beaurocracy to justify some of the things they are doing.

Aside from ARCO being mustache twirling, girl tied to train tracks cartoonish evil and James being flat, did you have anything else you wanted to point out? Like the musical numbers or the Sarah/ Machina/D relationship?

7527188 Well, I thought that Celestia's actions in Skeletons in the Library were uncalled for, considering that she had to have seen how much Sarah cared her companions. The way she and Luna reacted, combined with Harrold's meddling, goes a long way towards explaining Sarah's distrust towards authority that was commented on in Dawn of Reason. Honestly, I think the royals owed her an apology. On a related note, I saw Sarah's sympathy for outcasts and the downtrodden to be one of the more interesting aspects of her character, and I wish it could have been explored more.

Concerning ARCO, I was a bit puzzled about why it was allowed to operate at all - if a private company discovers a method of trans-dimensional travel, they're going to be nationalized fasted when you can snap your fingers and then put under the control of an international regulatory body. Especially when said company could end up blundering into a hostile dimensional. It gets even worse if the inhabitants have their own way of crossing the barrier, and can are able to follow the path back...

Oh, there's one more thing I almost forgot to mention: In one chapter who's name I cannot remember Sarah reminisced about the time she visited a world where she had to deal with fairy queen, and she was terrified. The thing is, the fey aren't really all that impressive when you know hod to deal with them. Case in point: St. Collen managed to vanquish a castle full of 'em armed with just a vial of holy water.

well that got dark i feel sorry for the workers who were only doing their jobs was kind of hoping sarah was going to get help from other hoppers maybe but lone wolf hero angle with so many allies against evil maybe later she get some inside help.

Just finished this and I got to say I wasn't sure how it was going to go at the beginning but it ended in an awesome way

7764605 Thank you. I wish I could get Phase Shift moving but I keep hitting writers block and this "life" thing that gets in my way.

I have been through the whole story four times and its still as good as the first time. :pinkiehappy:

If the main OCs in this story were voiced, what would they sound like?

I only just found this story and all I have to say is AWESOME!

10650162
Thank you,

I'm afraid the two sequels have fallen into limbo and might never be completed

Holy. Shit. What the actual fuck did I just read? Are you sure this isn't some... I can't even think of an accurate adjective to describe this story other than holy shit, what did I just read? This entire thing felt like it was some kind of...- You know what, I just say it's been one hell of a damn adventure that I'm making a new folder for this.

11152554
I'm glad I had such a profound effect on you and I glad you enjoyed it, I think.

11152586
You think correctly. Though some of the plot points could been seen a couple miles away, as I remember someone saying, a good execution can make even a bad idea into a good story.

Well you took execution and flew to the moon on top of having some great, if a little well used plot points.

11152590
I'm sorry that the two sequels never really materialized. The first, Phase Shift, was supposed to focus on a different jumper and explore some of the larger themes and mechanisms working within both Equestria and the Multi-verse, where The Asylum (wholly unpublished) revealed some final twists regarding the origin of ARCO's technology and overall goal.

Honestly, I loved the idea of Sarah creating her own small little nation of refugees. I might have to blatantly steal this idea and create an entirely different story around it(Hope you don't mind:derpytongue2:).

Dunno if it will ever materialize though into a submitted story. I have like twenty different story ideas I made a chapter or two for then lost interest.

Login or register to comment