• Published 30th Jun 2013
  • 14,719 Views, 223 Comments

To be Young Again - Chatterjoy



A spell goes horribly wrong and Princesses Celestia and Luna find that they now have to take care of a young alicorn filly Twilight!

  • ...
12
 223
 14,719

Chapter 15

Fluttershy was walking in the gardens with Princess Luna.

“Princess, I don’t mean to bother you, but I’ve been walking in the garden these past few days, since, you know…Anyway I’ve found something alarming, and I thought I might need to show you, if you don’t mind.”

Princess Luna stared passively at the timid Pegasus and listened intently as she talked. The past few days had been quite a ride. Immediately after Twilight’s wailing could no longer be heard rumor had begun to spread that her sister had retreated into her room.

For the past few days her sister had not been seen nor heard of. Celestia had cancelled all of her meetings with the nobles, and the chefs had been reporting that their cake stores had been increasing instead of decreasing. In fact, the chefs had also reported to not even glimpsing Celestia’s alabaster coat in the kitchens.

Luna was getting increasingly worried about her sister’s health as well. Their celestial bodies represented them just as much as the Alicorns represented the celestial bodies, and for the past few days the sun was just about as hot as the sun setting on a Hearth’s Warming Eve evening.

That could only mean her sister was incredibly depressed. The Lunar Princess was also aware that her sister was not sleeping. Luna knew when every pony was sleeping hence the line from one of the Hearth’s carols, ‘She knows when you are sleeping.’

By the heavens she hated that carol. It was made for Celestia because at that time Luna was already beginning to be forgotten.

“Um Princess, sorry but we are here, if you don’t mind,” Fluttershy’s soft voice rung through Luna’s thoughts. Lightly shaking her head the Princess smiled.

“Fear not fair Fluttershy, We art most grateful that thou wouldst bringest thou’s concerns to Us.”

Fluttershy managed a small smile. Pointing her hoof in the direction of the concern to be addressed Luna could only gasp in fear. The flowers had begun to wither. By the heavens she should have seen this coming! With the sun not being at its full power the flowers were beginning to die of starvation.

“My sister is due for a long lecture it seems.”

~A~

Celestia lay on her bed unmoving. Her body had gone numb from remaining in the same position for days, but the Princess refused to move. She was simply too depressed to do anything. Celestia had tried to be a little productive during the first few days by doing bills and other paper work, but she couldn’t focus on the words long enough to get anything done.

Now, all that Celestia could do was curl up into a ball. The pain in her heart was immense. She new days had gone by, but she could not tell how many had passed. Her stomach rumbled painfully, but the Princess ignored it. The only thing she could think of was Twilight’s look of betrayal as she wailed for her.

As the scene once again played in her mind Celestia curled into herself even deeper; her eyes were sore from all the silent tears she had wailed. Her throat hurt and rasped with every breath; the strain of having to keep her sobs silent taking their toll. Her glorious alabaster fur had lost its shine, and her mane and tail refused to wave with the solar wind.

A knock sounded on her door, and Celestia’s response was to turn her body away from the noise. Again, a knock sounded but it was more forceful and impatient.

Celestia ignored the insistent knocking, but what came next she had much more difficulty ignoring. The Princess should have known it was her sister because the Royal Canterlot Voice rang proud and true through the entire castle.

“SISTER! THOU MUST AWAKEN! UNLESS THOU ART ALREADY AWAKE. IF THOU ART AWAKE, pardon my modern language, “GET THINE CAKE FILLED BUTT OUT OF THE BED AND ATTEND THY ROYAL DUTIES!”

Celestia’s only response was to take her pillow and cover her ears. Under normal circumstances the Princess would have reprimanded her younger sister for being so rude, but now Celestia could barely find the strength to even think about scolding her.

Princess Luna huffed and pivoted on her front hooves.

“So be it sister, just remember that thou hadst started this battle.”

Princess Luna coiled her back legs. As she was aiming the mane six had come to see what the commotion was about. Their eyes bugged as they saw Luna let out an Alicorn powered buck upon Celestia’s unfortunate bedroom door.

The door collapsed upon impact, and credit to the architects they remained intact if but crooked on their hinges. Celestia had not moved an inch, or even gave a sign of flinching. Luna huffed but lifted her sister in her own magic.

Celestia undignified was held upside down. Her eyes stared blankly into Luna’s own teal blue eyes.

“You broke my door.”

“You need to be lectured sister, and We thought Us appropriate to do so.”

Celestia slowly blinked but dispelled Luna’s own magic causing her to fall to the floor in a heap. The mane six was peering into the room at the spectacle and it was disheartening to see their Princess in such a state.

Without changing her position Celestia picked up Luna and her double doors. Throwing Luna out, Celestia repaired her doorway and put magical enchantments to keep Luna out.

Luna picking herself up painfully hissed.

“Very well Sister. Thou shouldst know this means war!”

A dark aura surrounded the Luna Princess. The mane six feeling the tension could only back away, as Luna charged up her horn and with a mighty yell that shook the entire castle; Luna fired her magic blast onto the door.

Celestia’s enchantments held fast, and the doors held no proof of Luna’s recent attack. Luna panted slightly but she persisted with more focused magical blasts. Even in Celestia’s weakened state her wards proved effective against her sister’s might.

Running low on her magic Luna huffed and began to harshly buck on the door. Her efforts were in vain as not even a dent was found on the double doors.

Luna collapsed onto the floor in an exhausted heap.

“Thou may have won the battle sister, but never the war!”

A unicorn guard ran up to the princess. A look of worry crossed his features.

“Dire news Princess, which would you like to hear first?” The guard looked anywhere but at the Princess.

“The good news.”

“There is no good news Your Highness. Only bad news and worse news.”

“The bad news?”

“A patrol found Night Light and Twilight Velvet in green goo, most commonly used by Changelings. They say they have been trapped since the day they received Princess Celestia’s letter telling them to meet her in court.”

Luna had sat upright, and as she did so Celestia bust down her doors. The hallway heated up extremely quickly. Without a word Celestia raced down the corridor with speed that only an Alicorn could possess.

“She didn’t even listen to the worse news,” The guard sighed.

“We are still listening.”

“Very well Princess Luna, the front wall has fallen apart due to your power bucking and Canterlot Voice.”

“How is that even possible?”

“I am not sure Your Highness.”

“Pardon me ya’ll but shouldn’t we chase after Princess Celestia?” Applejack asked worriedly. She had taken off her hat and held it close to her chest.

Before Luna could reply, however a large boom echoed across the castle. A splash of color washed over the sky; the tell tale sign of a sonic rainboom being performed.

“The Princess could do that!” screamed Rainbow Dash. Her jaw almost seemed to hit the floor in shock, perhaps also because her pride may have been damaged.

“Oh yes fair Rainbow Dash. Our sister invented them. She hasn’t performed one in over a millennium though.”

“WHAT?” yelled the ponies.

“We are afraid that to catch Our sister, every pony must ‘hoof it’ as some put it.”

“How do we catch up to her?” Rarity asked. Clearly she was not going to run after the furious Princess.

“Our sister’s regalia have a tracker in case it ever was stolen. We can magically pin point it, and when Our sister finds her destination we teleport to her.”

“Then why do we have to hoof it then?” Rainbow Dash pointed out.

“Because with the speed Our sister is flying at, We art afraid that the garments will disintegrate.”

“What…”

“Enough talk! Talk is time!” Pinkie yelled.

With powers that only Pinkie could possess she grabbed all the ponies present except the unfortunate guard and began to do what Pinkie did best.

Show up at random places with no tell tale sign of magic.

~A~

Many booms could be heard as Celestia performed more and more rainbooms to increase her speed. A trail of rainbows could be followed as Celestia headed for the badlands. The only place the Changelings could take refuge at.

Her wings ached for not being in use for many years, but the Solar Princess refused to yield to such weakness and only flapped harder, creating another rainboom.

Her regalia began to chip and fall apart. The heavy metal slowing her down somewhat Celestia ripped off all her ornaments angrily and didn’t even stay to watch them fall to the ground.

“Tail’s a’ twitchen’!” Pinkie exclaimed. The pink pony who was currently in the lead of the running ponies stopped to duck under a rock clove.

“We do not…” Luna never finished as Applejack lassoed the Princess and pulled her under the rock clove where the rest of the ponies took shelter. It wasn’t a moment to soon when Celestia’s regalia left craters from their landing right where Luna had been standing moments before.

“We understand.”

~A~

Normally a trip to the changeling hive should have taken at least three days; the hive had moved to make it look like they actually were planning another invasion. In the new nest Chrysalis disguised as Celestia glared down at the filly.

Somehow even as a filly, Twilight knew who was the real one and who was not. It irritated the queen to no end. She had planned to feast on the power of the Alicorn filly disguised as her mother, or in this case adoptive mother.

The queen wouldn’t give up though.

One of her drones, a guard as he was bulkier than the rest of her changelings entered her chambers. The filly lay trembling near her hooves.

“My queen we…” his sentence was never finished as a loud boom followed by a huge amount of color exploded into the sky. Chrysalis still disguised as Celestia looked up in fear.

“How did she find out already? Did you not dispose of the two ponies like I said too?”

“We hid them your majesty.”

“I told you to DISPOSE OF THEM!” Chrysalis roared and with a powered up magical green charge threw out her guard.

“Go and so some real work and DISPOSE of at least HER!”

“By your orders!” The changeling saluted and buzzed out of the chamber. Soon more buzzing could be heard as the changeling army began to advance onto the lone Princess.

“Ha-ha Celestia! Challenging my army by yourself would do no good!”

Celestia could see the swarm of Changeling advance as she approached.

“OUT OF MY WAY YOU CURS!”

The force of Celestia’s own Canterlot Voice was able to put the swarm on a different path. She had no time for minor bugs. Some of the braver changelings attempted to get into Celestia’s path and stop her.

Clenching her teeth, the Solar Princess rushed through them, the heat from her speed burning some of the changelings and caused them to plummet to the ground in pain. Celestia’s rainboom trail soon turned to fire as the Princess finally reached a speed few could achieve.

The Princess dive bombed into the hive where she sensed the powerful magic of Twilight Sparkle. Celestia had made a crater bigger than any had ever seen since the changeling invasion. Her eyes grew even angrier when she saw the form Chrysalis had taken.

“RETURN TWILIGHT SPARKLE TO ME NOW!”

Chrysalis had to strain to withstand the powerful voice.

“No. Wasn’t it you who gave her away anyway?”

Celestia’s look held pure rage at the accusation Chrysalis threw her way.

The Princess noticed Twilight behind the queen. She was trembling and looked frightened. It only made Celestia’s rage skyrocket. With a mighty yell Celestia charged the queen and they locked horns.

“I beat you once Sun Goddess. I can do it again!”

~A~

“My hooves hurt! Can’t we stop for a rest?” Rarity whined. Her hooves were sore and red from the constant walking they were doing.

“We need to save the Princesses!” Rainbow Dash huffed annoyed at Rarity. Celestia’s rainboom trail had faded a while ago. Luna insisted, however, that they were going the right way and persisted that the group keep moving.

“We see no harm in resting,” Luna spoke up. The mane six plopped down where they stood. Luna had been incredibly hard to keep up with. Just like her sister, Luna held the speed of an Alicorn. She had also not stopped for a break for about an hour. Rarity had actually spoken about all of them. In Luna’s defense it was a bit of uncalled for whining.

While the others rubbed their sore hooves and trying to get feeling back into them; Luna kept looking in the same direction with a worried look.

“Um Princess, I’m sure Princess Celestia is safe.” Fluttershy said lightly putting her hoof on Luna’s leg to comfort her.

“It is the Changelings We fear for.” Luna replied smiling gently back at Fluttershy.

A boom resounded through the clearing where the mane six and Luna were resting.

“Break time is over!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed and sprung to her hooves. She immediately took off towards the sound.

“Princess, go on without us. I know you can fly faster than the rest of us can run,” Applejack said encouraging the Princess who had glanced worriedly back at the remaining five.

“Thank you fair Applejack. We are sure that this will not be the last boom. If thou follow the sound…”

“We know already!” Pinkie exclaimed picking up Luna and throwing her into the air. How the party pony was able to pick up Princess Luna, no pony knows not even the Lunar Princess.

Righting herself in the air, Luna quickly took off towards the loud boom. She had easily passed Rainbow Dash, though Luna could not perform rainbooms as easily as her sister, Luna still was an Alicorn and was faster than most ponies.

As Luna approached the crumbling nest of the Changelings her fear only grew. There was two of her sister. Luna was well aware that the one with the regalia was her enemy, as Celestia had thrown away her regalia, while in flight.

Celestia was weak from the days of not eating. Chrysalis was having a serious advantage against her sister. That same advantage made Luna charge even faster to her sister’s side.

Just as she was about to reach Celestia and Chrysalis, her sister let loose a powerful solar blast that forced her copy to slam into a wall. The heat around her sister left steam in the rocks. Her footsteps melted the ground she passed.

Twilight was in the corner cowering. A shimmering gold shield had been placed around her. The decision that the filly was more important that her sister’s battle; Luna rushed over to the petrified filly.

“W-Woona…” Twilight sniffled.

“Be calm little one, Luna is here,” the Princess smiled sweetly at the filly. Meanwhile her sister had managed to transform Chrysalis back into her normal form. Chrysalis was now sporting injuries that even Luna winced at. Her sister was being relentless.

Her sister was no better. Cuts and scrapes littered her sister’s normally perfect coat. Her mane and tail was as messy as one of Twilight’s nests for the birds. Her sister was also sporting a massive bruise above one of her eyes.

As the queen peeled herself from the wall, she glared up at the Solar Princess who held the same intensity in her own stare.

“Finish it,” drawled the queen as she hung her head low.

Celestia didn’t need another invitation, as her horn flared. Luna’s eyes widened as she saw her sister prepare to do what she thought had been banned centuries ago.

“Sister, stop this madness!” Luna exclaimed. The mane six had caught up. They had little resistance from the changelings who all seemed to be lying scattered among the rubble moaning in pain.

“She stole Twilight away from me!” growled Celestia; she did not even look at her sister.

“That may be so, but you told me that death is not a punishment!”

“For this cur it is the ONLY PUNISHMENT!” Celestia began to speak in the Canterlot voice again.

“Then if not for thine morals then for Twilight?” Luna asked.

Celestia’s eyes widened at the mention of the little filly. The Solar Princess gritted her teeth and her glare intensified at the changeling before her. She seemed to be hesitating, as her conscious fought with her mind.

Closing her eyes Celestia let out a mighty yell that gave Luna’s voice a run for her money. The Solar Princess released the blast.

An unfortunate rock melted at her magic, and the changeling queen shivered in fear at what fate she narrowly missed.

“I, Princess Celestia, decree that the Changeling Queen Chrysalis if seen by any guard or step foot in Equestria again shall be killed at once. Leave and don’t return Chrysalis!”

The queen could only sputter, but she was able to gather the rest of her changelings and fled the scene.

Sighing Celestia turned to look at Twilight.

“Twilight I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.”

As the Princess took a step towards the filly on Luna’s back, Twilight hid her face in Luna’s mane. Taken aback Celestia could only lower her head and accept defeat. She had broken Twilight’s trust, and she deserved it.

The mane six looked distraught at the broken relationship, but none could utter a word to the Princess.

“Look on the bright side sister; compared to the Everfree forest a millennium ago this destruction is nothing.”

Author's Note:

I hope this met your expectations!