• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 2,617 Views, 45 Comments

Sick Week - CosmicAfro



Twilight Sparkle sneezes and an adventure begins!

  • ...
1
 45
 2,617

!

Her hoof pressed on the door once more. She opened her eyes and sternly looked forward. No, it had to be done. She needed to tell Celestia and Luna.

She pushed her leg forward and the door creaked open. She walked into the center of the room. The other two patients looked at their friend with surprise and concern as she entered with a command of the room. The lunar deity raised her head and attempted to lift a rubbery leg. Celestia ordered her nurse to rotate her bed so she could see her pupil easier.

“Good afternoon,” they both greeted.

“I need to tell you two something, ”Twilight spoke sovereignly, switching eye contact between the two. “I don’t like what I’m about to say... but I have to say it. Ever since I found out, I didn’t know how to approach the issue.”

Luna shook her head as if knowing this would eventually come to attention. “I can buy you a new toothbrush.”

The mare in the middle of the room cocked an eyebrow. “What?”

“Oh, we’re not talking about- never mind.” She wafted a wiggly hoof, barely mocking the motion of her to continue.
Psyde and Syndrome at their table put down the cards and stared at the night princess with concern. Twilight shook her head with her eyes looking at the ceiling and started once more. “I’ve been meaning to say... I think I figured out how Nullam Constantium works. Well, actually, I know I do.”

Her two friends beamed at her. “I must say, I’m curious to know as to how you discovered the cure for this menacing disease,” Celestia said. “Not that I’m surprised my top student would be able to solve this problem.”

“Well, you see, the thing is, if I tell you... it won’t be pretty.”

Luna nodded her head, as if understanding. “It involves surgery, doesn’t it? It’s probably an error with our regenerating glands, or the magic condensed in our horns.”

“Uh, no.”

Celestia turned to a more mute expression. “Does the treatment have side effects like baldness or power flashes?”

“No.”

“I bet th’ cure involves some freaky ingredients like Changelin’ fang and manticore spit,” Psyde added to the conversation. “It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve had to use medicine with questionable material Ms. Sparkle, it’s ok. We’ll find some explorers to do the dirty work for you.”

“I don’t know, I’d actually quite like to join them to the Changeling Capitol. I heard it was only a stupid rumor that they all live underground.” Syndrome stood on top of the table. “I’ve heard it’s got a building almost as tall as this mountain and when they aren’t busy trying to conquer kingdoms, their establishments and the residents there are actually quite nice. It’s not even true that they’re all wearing black exoskeletons, but they divide the color spectrum based on task. It’s actually quite colorful.”

“As fascinating as that is, that’s not what it is about.”

The two nurses received glares from all around, ordering them to shut it.

Twilight took a deep breath. “No, it... involves someone. Someone close to us.”

“Do ya- ahem, you mean like it involves the both of you and... doin’ the midnight d-” Luna levitated them out of the door and slammed it shut, locking it with her own seal. A muffled yell of, “I was only jokin’!” came through the door, but that was the end of it.

“Continue, Twilight.”

“You see, this someone has a deal over my head and if I tell you who he is... bad things happen.” Twilight’s legs began to feel lighter as the tension in the air became strikingly heavier. Both of the grins on Celestia and Luna were dropped.

“This person isn’t going to harm you, is he?” Celestia spoke firmly with her eyes seething with rage.

“No... not me... specifically,” she half mumbled the last word. “More like us. And maybe all of Canterlot.”

“Twilight, this is an urgent matter, you must tell us who this villain is right now.”

“No,” Luna spoke over her older sister. “Twilight is right to approach this with caution. She knows the risks better than anyone. Whoever is doing this is clearly a clever and cunning individual and we should not take this matter so lightly as putting the kingdom at risk.”

“As much as I’d like to agree with you, sister dearest, this someone has threatened the lives of our kingdom and of my student. This level of threat must be handled immediately.” Celestia searched with her eyes across the entire room. “This person is not here right now?”

Twilight ran a hoof down the back of her mane. “I don’t think so.”

Before Celestia could further interrogate her student, Luna interrupted. “Even if he’s not here, we know very well there are powerful scrying magics that can remain undetected.”

Her sister struggled against her restraints. “So what would you have us do? Remain in these hospital beds while this villain escapes free of penalty?” She tried not to spit out the words, but they came off as furious none-the-less.

“No, of course not. Look at the condition we’re in, sister. We’re not capable of fighting.” Luna heaved a heavy sigh. “If we were to fight now, we’d be fighting our own injuries and this degenerate.”

“I’m aware of this. Twilight, what specifically will happen if we hear our enemy’s name?”

“The Nullam Constantium is increased several fold. But when we all know who it is, we can stop him so at least it’ll never happen again.”

Luna smirked. “Well, then I’m glad this will never happen.”

Celestia furrowed her brow and scoffed. “Did you have to reveal that so early in the discussion?”

Twilight shifted her expression from solemn and ready to face the consequences to that of a confused child looking at is first math problem. “Huh?”

The younger sister giggled. “I can’t help myself, just look at how tense Twilight is. It’s really not fair to her.”

The eldest rolled her eyes. “But these are emotions she must feel when serious tasks are at hand.”

Luna nodded. “I know, but I can’t help but feel this first test was a bit too strenuous.”

Twilight spoke up. “Excuse me?”

Celestia said, “Oh ho come now, his first test on us was with an active volcano and sticks of dynamite strapped to our legs.”
Luna shivered, her legs jiggling in the process. “I’m beginning to notice a running theme here with my legs being injured every time we have a test.”

Her sister replied, “It does appear to be quite serendipitous.”

Twilight yelled, “Hey, anyone want to tell me what just happened?”

It was at that moment that Dr. Cooper strolled in along with the two nurses who had previously been thrown out. He had a bundle of multi-colored balloons wrapped around his waist and held a bouquet of flowers in his mouth. Psyde and Syndrome were marching, creating an applause with their hooves. Through the muffled mouth of the insidious doctor, he said, “Well done, Princess Twilight. You’ve passed the royal test!”

“I... what?”

The doctor looked down and realized he was in his pony form. “Oh, right.” He... snapped with his hoof, to the confusion of everypony in the room, and returned to his multi-creature self. With a smile, of course. “You passed the test! Oh I knew you would do it!” he rejoiced, pulling in Twilight for a knuckle-head rubbing hug.

“Good on you, Princess Twilight!”

“She’d do the right thing, I knew it.” Psyde and Syndrome bowed their heads and walked backwards out of the room, closing the door behind them.

She broke free of his grasp and backed into the wall where she could see all three faces of Celestia, Luna, and Discord.

“I’m... confused.”

The other two princesses shared a warm grin. “Nopony was ever in any real danger,” Celestia began. “We hired Discord to cause some harmless fun to help prepare you for tough decisions in life.”

“What.”

Luna grinned in agreement. “We were well aware of the consequences. We knew something catastrophic might occur, so we believed we may get some free time away from the throne. It was actually Discord’s idea.”

“What.”

The draconequus of the hour held out his talon hand and summoned another cup of coffee from Starbuck. “I had given such good training to your princess friends when they overthrew me that I thought I should extend that knowledge to you.” He slurped from the lid of the drink, but the bottom of his body disappeared instead. “Keeping secrets from your friends is never a smart idea, especially when I’m involved. You should never negotiate with bad ponies, Twilight.”

Twilight sat on her rump, back against the wall. “So... none of this...”

Discord, now in the cup completely, spoke by flapping the lid of the cup, “None of it was ever real danger. I told you when I was fixing the situation, I meant it. All of the guards are back at full health and your incident was fixed.”

At first, Twilight sat there motionlessly. Then she stood up, with her expression mute. She huffed and blew some hair out of her face. She walked towards the liquid chaos contained on the floor and eyed it with a malicious grin. She levitated the cup up and shook it around a bit, not letting one drop spill.

“Ok,” his voice echoed from inside, I probably deserved that.”

“Oh, and this.”

“And wh-AHHHHH!” He screamed in terror as Twilight drank him. She smacked her lips and then stuck her tongue out for a moment with a sour expression.

“Blugh, needed some sugar.” With a pure happy smile, realizing she had been had and summoning her previous experiences with a pair of pranksters she knew at home, she asked, “How long did you two know?”

“Before you even started your first sneeze,” Celestia admitted casually. “As a matter of fact, while Luna and I were busy taking sugar pills, the necessary solidified magic that is necessary for altering an Alicorn’s immune system was taken willingly by you. That needle was the chaos inhibitor, which apparently didn’t make Discord’s work much easier with your raw magical abilities.”

Her stomach replied, “It’s true, you’re one tough cookie to handle. Remind me not to get on your bad side... or on your insides.”

Twilight’s eyes bulged as she realized something. “Wait, what about Luna’s gravity or Celestia’s-”

“You really believed we were asleep?” Luna admitted, coyly mocking her sister’s pupil. “The princess of the night knowing how to fake sleep? Wha?”

“Okay, okay, I get it.” Twilight herself was surprised at how well she was taking the entire situation. It felt unusual, but she was familiar with dupery and being duped. So perhaps her strong social upbringing over the past few years in Ponyville weren’t all for nought. it was as if everything had wound itself up in one perfect little bow and-

“Oh, and one more thing,” Discord gurgled from Twilight’s stomach. “The medicine does take an entire week to fix and as promised, Twilight’s effects will no longer be inhibited.”

“Wait.”

“No.”

“That means!”

Discord laughed. “I always get the last laugh, Princesses. Have fun with your week, I’ve fulfilled my obligation.”

“Discord, wait-”

Twilight belched and released a brown gaseous puff with two eyes and a half mean-spirited grin. In a mere moment, he disappeared along with his echoing laugh, leaving the room to incredibly awkward silence.
























































“Gosh dang it, Discord. I needed to ask him what happened during my fever.”

Author's Note:

To clear any confusion, the choice you make does affect the disease. You decided to open the door and confront your tutors, even though you knew the consequences could be very dire. You were willing to bet on friendship and thus you were rewarded by finding out it never was even a real threat. But... if you had not opened the door, what would happen?