• Published 27th Aug 2013
  • 2,718 Views, 44 Comments

Storm Clouds Gathering - Mr Afro Pony



When a newly reformed (and very bored) Discord is offered a chance to rule Equestria, the God of Chaos must make a decision. Betray the ones he cares about, or join the ones who accept his true self.

  • ...
7
 44
 2,718

Mother and Daughter Bonding Time


“So let me get something straight, Discord,” Gleaming Shield questioned, circling around the draconequus. “You have no idea why a giant hole was blasted in the wall of your cell.”

“For the millionth time, yes,” lied Discord. “And I thought you unicorns were supposed to be smart.”

The guardspony had created a makeshift interrogation room in Discord’s cell.

“YOU’RE LYING!” yelled the guard, slamming his hoof on the table in front of him. “I know you have something to do with this.”

Discord leaned forward in his chair. “Oh do ya now? Well unless you have proof, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

The hazel coated stallion’s eye twitched. “I am the new Head Captain of the Royal Guard. It is bad enough I had to deal with an ASSASSINATION attempt today. I do not need some has-been freak mucking things up-”

Discord suddenly shot to his feet with fire in his eyes. He snapped his lion’s claws.

“W-What did you just do?” asked Gleaming Shield. “I can’t move my body.”

“You know what I love most about having the powers of chaos?” asked Discord, ignoring the guard’s question. “I can do almost anything I want with it. Like perhaps make an annoying guardspony see his worst fear.”

Gleaming Shield started to levitate into the air. “Hey! Stop! Put me down!” he cried.

“What’s wrong? The big bad Captain of the Royal Guard afraid of heights?” mocked the draconequus.

“Discord! Release him.” commanded a voice. Celestia walked towards him with an angry scowl plastered on her face.

Discord rolled his eyes before snapping his fingers again. Gleaming Shield began to quickly fall towards the ground. The stallion braced for impact, only to stop suddenly about an inch away from the ground.

“Hey...I’m oka-” Gleaming Shield’s statement was cut short as he fell the other inch, landing on his face.

Celestia shook her head in frustration. “Discord, I’m only going to ask this you once. What is the meaning of thi-”

“Mommy!” cried a voice. Celestia was nearly tackled as Screwball pounced on her. “Mommy is here! Screwball happy!” cried the filly.

Celestia looked down at the little mare clutching her neck. “Uhh...hi? Discord, why is Screwball here?”

Discord put on a smug grin. “She wanted to see her daddy and mommy.” he answered matter of factly.

Celestia forced and awkward smile to her face. “Well if you’d please ask her to unleash her death hug, I wish to talk to you in private.”

Discord nodded in approval. “Screwball?” he called.

The filly released Celestia and turned towards her father. “Yes, daddy?” she asked.

“Do you see that stallion over there?” Discord pointed his claw at Gleaming Armor, who was watching the scene with a nervous glint in his eye.

“The one wetting his armor?” Screwball asked with a hint of anticipation in her tone.

Discord nodded. “Show him your wrestling game.”

Screwball looked confused. “But he doesn’t seem to want to play.” she observed.

Discord chuckled heartily. “Well someponies just need a little push.” he said. “Go show him how fun the game can be.”

Screwball plastered a large grin on her face. “Okay daddy! Screwball loves the wrestling game.”

At superpony speed, Screwball pounced on the now screaming guard. She started to twist the poor stallion’s limbs in unnatural ways. Gleaming Armor began bleating like a goat, his eyes comically popping out of his head.

“You were saying?” asked Discord with a mischievous smile. Celestia rolled her eyes.

“Could you please take something serious for once?” asked Celestia. “It’s midnight and I have a lot to do in the morning.”

“Always thinking about yourself, aren’t you Celestia,” scolded Discord. “Not even bothering to say ‘thank you’ to the draconequus who saved your life.”

Celestia sighed. “Okay Discord, is that what this is about?” The ruler of Equestria took a deep breath. “Thank you. Now will you please tell me who blasted the whole in the wall?”

Discord chuckled to himself. “I have no idea.” he said with a straight face. Discord was no novice when it came to lying. The hardest part about it wasn’t the lying itself, but coming up with good ones to tell.

Celestia looked the draconequus up and down, before finally deciding to give up.

“Very well Discord, if you truly don’t know, you wouldn’t mind waiting around and keeping watch, would you?”

Discord cocked an eyebrow. “If you want, I suppose I could look around a bit.” he said.

Celestia nodded in approval. She turned to leave before stopping in her tracks at a realization. “Could you please tell our daughter...er, your daughter to stop mutilating my Captain?”

Discord smiled. “Screwball!” he called. “That’s enough of the wrestling game for now.”

Screwball was just in the middle of a Full Nelson when she heard her father’s voice. “Okay daddy!” she cried, releasing a now broken Gleaming Shield.

The poor stallion practically melted to the floor. “D-Doctor! I need a doctor!” he cried, a pool of tears collecting under his snot-ridden muzzle.

*****

Celestia slowly walked back towards her Royal Chambers

Only 5 hours before I have to raise the sun, and still no sleep she thought. The last day had been a hectic one and it seemed today would be just as bad. Following the assassination attempt, the Royal Guard had completely shut down the palace, and most of Canterlot. After a few hours of sweeping the area, Celestia was told the perimeter was secure. She was relieved, at least until she heard that there was an explosion coming from Discord’s cell.

The Sun Goddess furrowed her brow at his name. Discord. Did she honestly believe he could be reformed? She nearly had to use an Executive Order when she suggested the idea to the High Council. Celestia would look like a fool if she went back on it now.

The Alicorn sighed as she reached her Royal Chambers. Two guardspony stood watch. They saluted at the sight of their ruler.

“I take it that you’ve scouted my room?” she asked one of the guards. “I’ve had enough surprises for one night.”

“Yes your highness. We assure you your Chambers are secure.” promised the stallion. As hard as they try, numerous slip ups in the guard was causing all these problems. Multiple mistakes with changelings and other infiltrators nearly cost her the kingdom on numerous occasions. Even the Element of Magic, one of the key defenses of Equestria, was nearly lost because of an incompetent guard.

Celestia sighed, and shooed her guards away. She didn’t want any distractions about treaties or minor friendship threats to Ponyville for at least one night. Using her magic, she opened her heavy chamber doors and stepped inside. The room was dark, no candles lit. Before conjuring a light with magic and illuminating the room, Celestia first stepped out of her regal shoes. Once she was done, she kicked them out of the way and tossed her crown off onto a desk. It took a moment, but with her magic she finally released her royal choker’s hold and carelessly threw it on the ground.

Now onto preening. Celestia lifted a wing and began to inspect the feathers. She nibbled on them with her teeth, spreading her natural oils as per daily hygiene. Whenever she came across a loose or worn white feather, she would bite it and pull it out with hardly a wince. Once she was done, she switched wings and continued. Now finished, Celestia sighed as a new cool wing breezed through her preened wings.

Hygiene done, relaxation now. Celestia walked across the darkness to her vanity mirror and opened a drawer, lifting ten small objects with her magic. With practiced precision and focus, Celestia slowly curled her mane with curlers until her mane comfortably rested on the back of her neck.

“Ah…” Celestia moaned in pleasure as she plopped down on her bed. She may be immortal, but even immortals can be exhausted. Celestia’s head slowly fell onto her pillow.

“Oww!” called a voice.

Celestia’s eyes shot open, she was not alone in her room.

“Who said that?” Celestia asked.

“Behind you mommy.” said the voice again.

Celestia turned around to meet the spiraled eyes of Screwball. The Sun Goddess had opened her mouth to scream in surprise, but Screwball suddenly wrapped her little forelegs around the princess’s throat.

“Screwball is happy mommy came to see Screwball!” the filly exclaimed, tightening her grip.

“S-Screwball!” Celestia choked out. “I can’t breathe.”

Screwball released the Alicorn from her clutches. She began to jump up and down on the bed.

“Mommy’s here! Mommy’s here!” she cried gleefully.

Celestia was still busy trying to have oxygen return to her brain to address the foal. After a few deep breathes, Celestia turned towards her “daughter”.

“S-Screwball...how did you get in here?” she asked through clenched teeth.

“Screwball wanted to see mommy, so Screwball went to see mommy!” answered the filly, as if the answer was obvious.

“Well, it’s nice to see you too,” Celestia greeted the filly. Even if she wanted her rest, it was no excuse to be rude to the young Screwball. Despite her old age, Celestia still had a weak spot for children.

“Yay! Screwball likes mommy!” cried the ever happy Screwball.

There was that word again, “mommy”. Celestia had never bothered to think about the reason the little tyke called her that. She had always figured it was because she was the only thing close to a mother figure in her life. Still, the fact she addressed Discord as her father...

“Screwball...” called Celestia. “Why do you call me mommy?” she asked.

Screwball’s spiraled eyes featured a bit of confusion as she looked up at Celestia. “Because you are Screwball’s mommy.” said the purple filly. “Daddy told Screwball that you are.”

“But you know that I’m not you’re real mommy right?” asked the Alicorn.

Screwball twisted her head in confusion. “What do you mean mommy?” she asked. “You’re Screwball’s mommy.” Celestia saw tears beginning to form in the filly’s eyes.

“W-Wait Screwball, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.” the Alicorn assured. Unfortunately the damage had been done. Screwball’s bottom lip shot out and began to quiver as she began sniffling. Celestia’s wings twitched in anxiety, she was a great ruler by most standards but never around children.

“Mommy hates Screwball!” Tears ran down her cheeks as Screwball began sobbing. Celestia tried to play damage control, tickling the filly with her wings and trying to lift her up with hooves, but Screwball rolled around on the bed.

As the filly continued to cry, Celestia began to sense a strange energy. An energy similar to the Chaos Magic Discord possessed, but different. This magic was more wild, not as controlled as Discord’s yet more powerful.

“S-Screwball, calm down honey!” exclaimed Celestia. The palace began to shake as Screwball’s sobs grew louder. The sheer amount of magical energy being produced by the filly was beginning to rip a hole in the fabric of the universe!

“I’m your mommy! I’m your mommy!” yelled Celestia. Screwball’s wails began to die down at the Sun Goddess's words.

“You are Screwball’s mommy?” she asked. Celestia nodded enthusiastically. The palace stopped shaking and Screwball’s chaos magic began to die down.

Screwball suddenly pounced on top of Celestia again, trapping the Alicorn in another hug. “Yay! Mommy loves Screwball again!” she cried, nuzzling the older alicorn.

Celestia sighed in relief, or at least she would’ve if Screwball wasn’t constricting her windpipe. Just as she began to turn blue, the Royal Guardspony protecting her room burst through her doors.

“Princess! We heard shouting coming from your room, are you in danger?!” one of them shouted. The rest panted, fearful for their monarch.

Celestia wiggled herself away from the anaconda vise, she looked sheepishly at Screwball. “Oh, just spending time with my daughter!” she said.

*****

Discord lazily floated through the empty halls of the palace. After tucking Screwball in, the draconequus mentally kicked himself for accepting the duty of keeping watch. He didn’t know how the guards could choose this as a profession. Keeping watch was boring! And this was coming from a draconequus that had spent a good thousand years frozen in stone.

Discord sighed. “Oh how I wish for some sort of interaction!” he exclaimed dramatically, fanning himself with a claw appropriately.
.
It was then when a peculiar smell hit his nostrils.

Discord sniffed the air once more. “Marshmallows?” he asked himself. A mischievous smile spread across his face. “Hello Luna.”

A dark mist began to form in the hallway. Soon, a figure emerged from the shadows. The Princess of the Night’s unamused frown conjured a smile to Discord’s face.

“Why do you walk the halls of the palace freely?” asked Luna. “Surely Celestia forbids such action?”

Discord rolled his eyes. “For your information Lu-Lu, Celestia personally asked me to keep watch.” The draconequus teleported behind the Alicorn. “Besides, even if I didn’t have permission, it’s not like you could do anything about it.”

Luna snarled as she backed away fro Discord. “I am in no mood for jests, Discord. If it had been me deciding your fate, you would still be encased in stone.”

Discord raised an eyebrow. “Yes yes, we all would like to live in a world of ‘what ifs’. What if I wasn’t a master of chaos? What if Celestia wasn’t such a prude? What if you hadn’t turned into Nightmare Moon and start a civil war?”

Luna growled as she stepped towards Discord menacingly. “I would never have done that if it weren’t for you!” she yelled.

Discord smiled. “Water under the bridge Luna. We both served our times.” he said.

“Water under the bridge!?” Luna asked angrily. “I suffered for your actions!”

Discord sighed. “No need to be so ang-”

TWHAP!

Discord found himself thrown to the ground by a strong hoof to his chin.

He looked towards his attacker to see Luna’s still angry eyes. The draconequus rose silently, a stern but not hostile expression on his face.

“I won’t pretend that I didn’t deserve that.” he said. “But don’t expect to get another hit that easily.”

Luna huffed. “Served you right. You show no remorse for my imprisonment.”

“I know, you’re the victim and I’m the big bad guy.” said Discord. “So if you’re done assaulting me, is there anything particular that you want?”

Luna turned her nose to the air before looking again towards Discord. “I know you have something to do with the recent events involving the assassination attempt.”

Discord flexed a bicep and grinned at it. “I may have stopped one or two… You’re welcome, by the way.”

Luna frowned. “This is not the time for jests, draconequus!” she snapped. “You were able to detect a changeling when others couldn’t.”

Discord rolled his eyes and dropped his arms, slouching dramatically. “It’s not that hard, buck! They always get the cutie mark wrong! Give me some credit, if you had powers over chaos you’d have an eye for detail too. Poor Celestia could use it, dear’s flanks really suffer from all that cake.” He unconsciously squeezed thin air with a paw.

Luna narrowed her eyes. “Do not believe for an instant I’ve given you the same trust my sister has. You’re still the still the same as you were before.” she said.

“Pft, please,” Discord scoffed, folding his arms as he did so.” At least I have friends now.”

“Pray tell,” Luna challenged, narrowing her eyes irritably.

“Well dearest Fluttershy and Ce- Eh, just Fluttershy I guess.”

“I had assumed friends meant more than one.” responded Luna.

Discord frowned. “Well it’s not like I’ve had a whole episode talking about my rehabilitation into society....oh, wait a second...”

Luna cocked her head. “We are not sure-nevermind.” She shook her head and muttered something about a ‘crazy pink pony.’

Discord ignored whatever thoughts he had and brought his attention back to the Princess of the Night. “Either way, I’m not the same as I was all those years ago.” He put an arm around Luna’s neck. “Believe it or not, but some people can change.”

Luna pulled away from the draconequus. “Consider me unconvinced, Discord. I will be watching you.” With that, the mist again reappeared and in an instant, Luna vanished.

Again alone, Discord continued down the halls.

“AAAAAAHHH!”

Suddenly, a bloodcurdling scream echoed throughout the palace.

“Screwball?”

*****

Screwball studied her subject with the eyes of a master artist.

“Okay, mommy! Screwball is done!” she announced.

“Oh yay...” responded Celestia, fauxing enthusiasm.

She levitated a mirror towards her, nearly screaming at what she saw.

“Does mommy like it!?” asked Screwball happily.

Celestia took a deep breath to calm herself down. When Screwball had suggested giving her a makeover, Celestia had only agreed to prevent a fit. The Ruler of Equestria had thought her mane would be manageable, that she would be able to recover any sort of mutilation Screwball committed. But this, this was something else entirely. This was beyond recognition, beyond salvation, beyond....anything!

Screwball noticed her mother’s distress. “Is mommy okay?” she asked.

Celestia’s eye twitched at the question. “O-Oh y-yes dear. Mommy is just so happy that she’s crying.”

Screwball clapped in excitement. “Yay! Now mommy looks pretty for daddy!” she said.

Celestia momentarily directed attention away from her hair. This had to have been the millionth time the filly made a reference to her ‘father’. There was absolutely no kind of relationship between her and Discord, Celestia didn’t know why Screwball had paired her and him up.

Perhaps Discord had been telling her that, he would do anything to annoy Celestia. But then again, why would he designate Celestia as the mother? Surely there had to be other contenders?

Celestia felt as though her questions would be answered as she sensed a familiar chaotic magic. This time however, it wasn’t coming from Screwball.

In a flash of yellow light, Discord appeared in the middle of the bedchamber.

“Now Screwball, I thought I told you no sneaking out after I....I...” Discord eyed Celestia. “Mother Faust, what happened to your mane!?” he asked.

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Weren’t you just about to reprimand y-our daughter?” she asked.

“Yes but, it looks like your hair got into a fight with a manticore!” he exclaimed. Discord gave a sly grin, the corners of his mouth nearly splitting at the seams.

“Discord! Don’t you dare laugh!” warned Celestia.

“I...I...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” cackled Discord. “It’s just too much!” he laughed.

Celestia growled angrily. “This is not funny, Discord! I have a press conference tomorrow and my mane is ruined!”

“Oh cheer up Sun Butt.” said Discord, flicking Celestia’s nose. “It’s not that bad.”

Celestia leaned in closer. “Not that bad?! I’ll have to use focused magic to restore it!”

Discord also leaned in. “I’d say it’s an improvement.” he complimented. “It really brings your whole look together.”

The two had engaged in a stare down but a few inches away. Unbeknownst to them, Screwball had made her way directly behind Discord. The filly wasn’t going to let an opportunity like this pass her by.

“Somepony need a little push!” she said to herself. Placing two hooves on Discord’s lower back, Screwball pushed the draconequus forward.

The result was instant. The push quickly closed the distance between the two bickering parties. Before either of them had time to react, Discord and Celestia’s lips locked into a kiss.

Screwball put her forehooves together, closed her eyes, and smiled wider than ever. “Smoochums!”

Author's Note:

Thanks again to my BFF Flint Sparks for his help!

Make sure to like and favorite if you're enjoying the story so far, I'll really appreciate it.