• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 30,542 Views, 2,470 Comments

A Guard and a Princess - TorontoFCBrony



The now-completed comedic romantic adventure of Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
200
 2,470
 30,542

Chapter 8: Meeting the Family

"Flash, are you sure you still want to do this? We don't have to, you know. Especially if you think it's too early."

"I want to do this, Twilight. Your brother seems to like me, so why wouldn't your parents? Besides, Cadence will be there too. It'll be a fun night. And when will we ever have time to do this again?"

"I guess you're right, Flash. Let's go."

Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry were invited for a family reunion that the mare's parents were holding in their house just on the outskirts of Canterlot. Twilight had only mentioned to her parents that she had a new coltfriend a little while ago, but with the two of them dating for just a couple of months now, the time seemed right for Flash to go meet the parents. It was just casual before, but now things were getting more serious. The mistake that the couple made didn't come back to bite them, and they learned from it.

"Wait, Flash. I have to warn you about something first," Twilight said while putting a hoof on the stallion to stop him.

"What is it, dear?"

"I just have to warn you that my dad is a former spy for Equestria in the first Saddle Arabian War. He is basically a pony lie detector, and nothing can be hidden from him."

"Oh... boy. Great. Are you serious, Twilight?"

"No!" Twilight responded with a smile. "Of course not. My dad is actually a professor at University of Canterlot, and my mother is a scientist, though. They're very smart ponies, but real sweethearts as well. Just be yourself and they'll love you."

"That still makes me nervous, Twily."

Flash and Twilight made their way up to the front door of the house and knocked.

"Oh my gosh! Nighty, he's even dreamier than I imagined," the mare who answered said as she got her first look at Flash. The mare had a grey coat and a purple and white mane. Even though her colour scheme was a little different than Twilight's, it was clear that this middle-aged mare was her mother.

"You're right, Velvet. He's a good match for her," a blue middle-aged stallion responded while coming to the door. This was obviously Twilight's father.

"Mom, dad, it's been so long!" Twilight said while reaching her front hooves forward. Her two parents ran up and clutched their daughter tightly.

"You must tell us of everything that has happened to you," Velvet said to her daughter.

"Oh, mom. That would take forever!"

"We still have time before dinner, dear," Night Light said to Twilight. "Cadence and Shining Armour aren't coming for about an hour."

"Don't you want to meet Flash?" Twilight asked. After she said that, her parents looked to the yellow and blue stallion, who waved with a smile to show that was indeed still there.

"Certainly," Velvet said. "Come, let's sit down on the couch."

The two couples went into the house and went to the living room. Twilight and Flash sat on the love seat while their two parents sat on matching comfy chairs on either side. Flash looked over at the small television, which was still a new invention in Equestria, and he could see that the hoofball match between Canterlot and the Vanhoover Whitecaps was on.

"Oh..."

"Flash, no. You can watch it later," Twilight told him.

"Fine."

Night Light went up to the television and turned it off by turning one of the circular switches. "So. Flash, you're one of Twi's royal guards?" he asked.

"Yes. I have the privilege of being one of the guards at Canterlot Castle. I originally was trained in the Crystal Empire when all of the princesses were there, and then I was moved back to Canterlot. I was born and raised here."

"That's nice, Flash," Velvet said. "All of us are from here too. Our family's time in Canterlot goes way back. What about your family, Flash?"

"My parents are still living here as well. Twilight and I visited them a few days ago just for a quick dinner."

"Oh, Twily, how did they like you?"

"I think they liked me, mom. At least, I hope they did. They were really nice."

"Oh come on, Twily," Flash said. "They loved you and you know it."

"I'm trying to be humble, Flash."

Ding-dong

"Oh, Twily, that must be your brother," Velvet excitedly said while getting up. She opened the door, and in came Shining Armour and Princess Cadence. After the greetings, which were more enthusiastic than usual because Cadence was gone for quite a while with her royal duties in the Crystal Empire, the family all sat down for their dinner, made by Twilight's mother.

Flash sat at the corner of the width of the table, across from Shining Armour, beside Twilight. Cadence sat across from Twilight, and the two parents sat across from each other at the table ends.

"Wow. This looks absolutely delicious," Flash said while looking at the arrangement of food set in the middle of the table. There were oats, salad, garlic bread, and other vegetables set out on table. Velvet gave an equal share of food to everypony at the table, and all of the ponies thanked her in response.

"Dig in, everypony. Tell me what you think," Velvet announced.

Everypony politely used their magic to control the silverware and bring the food up into their mouths.

"Oh mom, this is delicious," Shining complimented with a mouth full of food.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, Shiney. It's rude to our guest."

"Oh," Shining replied. He took a big swallow, and continued, "Sorry dad. You're right."

"Um, Flashy, are you okay?" Twilight asked when she looked over to Flash Sentry, who was having trouble holding the utensils with his hooves.

"Uh, no. I can't hold anything."

"Oh, I forgot that you're the only pony here without a horn. Sorry dear," Twilight said. "Want me to help?"

"Sure," Flash said as his head perked up from looking at his plate.

Twilight's parents smiled as they saw their daughter use her magic to use the utensils, cutting the food, and lifting the fork up and into Flash's mouth.

Flash started to chew the food with a smile. He started to make typical sounds of enjoyment as he chewed the food. But that was when his eyes opened up wide and he simply stopped chewing. He started to choke on the food, but stopped himself so that he didn't spew everything on the prince and his own captain sitting in front of him. 'Oh Celestia, this is disgusting,' he thought to himself.

"Flash, are you okay?" Twilight asked with a worried voice as the stallion continued to cough on the food, eventually spitting some of it out in his napkin while trying to hide his shamed face. He felt bad for his reaction to the food, but Twilight's mother was simply not a good cook from the first few bites.

"Sorry. I'm okay. Just... went down the wrong way, I guess."

"Oh, that's a relief," Velvet said. "I was worrying that you didn't like my cooking."

"Oh no, it's fine," Flash said while still nearly gagging.

The rest of the ponies continued to eat the food with smiles of contentment, as Flash looked at them, wondering if they were even eating the same food.

"Look, I know it's bad, Flash, but you don't want to hurt my mom's feelings," Twilight whispered to Flash as her horn continued to use the knife to cut the food into smaller pieces. Flash looked at Twilight and nodded in agreement with a sad face.

Finishing the food was one of the hardest challenges in the stallions entire life, but he did it. He did it and even thanked Velvet for the "lovely" meal in the end.

Afterwards, Flash and Twilight volunteered to finish the dishes, which was gladly accepted by the parents.

Twilight used her magic to wash the dishes, while Flash used his hooves to wipe them and put them in the rack to dry.

"I appreciate that you ate all the food. The rest of us just got used to my mom's cooking after a while. That's why I forgot to warn you ahead of time."

"No worries, Twily. It wasn't the worst I've ever had."

"I'm sure it actually was the worst."

"Okay... fine. Yeah, it kinda was. I'm really sorry to admit it."

Twilight cracked a smile. "It's okay, Flash. Cooking was never a strong point for her. Just don't let my parents know that that's the reason why you choked."

"All right, deal."

After Flash and Twilight finished the dishes, the plan was just to have a quiet evening with the family. Twilight left the kitchen to go into the living room, while Flash stayed to grab a drink of water.

"Hey," Flash heard from behind him.

"Oh, hey Night Light," Flash responded to Twilight's father, who was the one that walked into the kitchen.

"Listen, son. I really appreciate that you ate your entire meal tonight. I know that it was probably hard for you."

Flash swallowed in a little bit of fear. He could feel his nerves starting to bother him. He knew that he needed to make a good impression to his mare's parents; especially her father. "Uh, no... It was great, I mean it!"

"Don't kid yourself, Flash. It took me a long time after marriage to actually become immune to the taste of Velvet's cooking. I'll be honest with you, it's crap. But I still love her for trying so hard each and every day."

Flash chuckled to himself. "Thanks, sir. It was fine, though. Honest."

"If you say so. Just remember one thing, though: Twilight is Velvet's daughter. Hopefully the bad cooking genes didn't pass on, because you'll have years of torture ahead of you. Food for thought."

"Twilight actually made me a meal one day. It was quite good, actually. And I appreciate that she cooked, even though she could have just received gourmet cooking from the castle crew. It shows me that she's trying hard."

Night came over a put his hoof around Flash. "I appreciate that, Flash. You seem like a fine gentlecolt. Come, we're going to play some board games."

After a quiet night of family-style board games, that proved to be surprisingly fun in the end, even with Twilight and Shining Armour winning nearly every game they played, it was time for the families to all go their separate ways.

Flash and Twilight were the first to get up in plans to leave.

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate the meal and the wonderful evening," Flash said to Twilight's parents.

"You're very welcome, Flash," Velvet replied.

"We should do this more often," Twilight's father added. "It's actually quite fun."

"For sure," Flash said. "Well, I hope to see you again soon."

After Twilight gave a hug to both of her parents, the younger dating couple opened the door to leave, revealing a massive thunderstorm that the entire family didn't even notice with all of the noise they had created with the games.

"Oh wow. Nighty, would you look at that? The roads have water all over them. It's not safe to walk home in the storm at night," Velvet said.

"What're we going to do, then?" Twilight asked. "I have a meeting with Princess Celestia tomorrow morning."

"You two will just have to stay here the night. That's what Cadence and Shiny are doing. They're sharing his old bedroom."

"So, I guess I'll just sleep on the couch, then?" Flash asked.

"Oh, don't worry about it. You can share Twilight's room with her," Night Light said.

Flash's eyes went wide open. "Um... No, that's fine. I'll sleep on couch." Flash just had a feeling that that suggestion was a test of some sort. What kind of father would even suggest something like that?

"Nonsense," the father interrupted. "There will be too much noise in the morning with everypony staying here. We'll just set up a mattress on Twilight's floor. Just as long as you two don't get into any horseplay!"

"Dad, come on. Do you really think I would do that?"

"No, I have faith that you two will wait until after you're married. You're a good mare," Night Light replied. Twilight and Flash gave a face to each other that just simply said 'Oops'. Her father didn't see her face, though, so the young couple was safe for the time being.

After setting up the mattress on the floor in Twilight's room, the stallion and the alicorn went in.

"I like your room, Twilight. It's cute," Flash said while looking around the room. There were pictures of Twilight and Shining Armour as young foals. "You were so unbelievably cute as a filly."

"Thanks, Flash. I was, wasn't I?"

'Oh great. This is one of those tests that mares give, isn't it?' Flash thought to himself. "Yes, you were, but you're even more beautiful now." Twilight's blush, smile, and head turn was a clear indication that Flash had passed the test.

Flash and Twilight said goodnight to the other four members of the family, who all went into their separate rooms. Flash went down to his mattress down below, while Twilight went onto her own bed- the bed she used to sleep in as a filly.

"Ah. It's just as comfortable as I left it last," Twilight said. The mare's parents kept both of their foals' rooms exactly as they had left it. It was probably due to a feeling deep down that the two of them would return home one day. It's never easy for parents of two to suddenly lose both of their foals. Night Light and Velvet didn't have a house to themselves for many years.

"How does it feel to be back in your old house, Twily?" Flash asked while lying on his back after he turned off the light and settled in.

"It feels... nostalgic, I guess. I like being back, but I'm also happy to be out on my own too. It gives me some freedom."

"I feel ya. Well. goodnight."

"Goodnight, Flash."

Flash closed his eyes, hoping to drift softly and soundly into sleep.

BOOM!

"What was that?" Twilight yelled out as she moved her back up.

"That was thunder, and it was really close."

The thunder kept continuing, but there were no bolts as close as that one. However, between the thunder in the distance, the flashes of light coming through the only large window in the bedroom, and the sound of the rain hitting the roof and the eaves, the couple knew that no sleep was going to come soon.

BOOM!

"Flash, I'm scared of the thunder. Come sleep beside me."

"No you're not, Twily. You just want me to come in bed with you."

"All right, you got me. Come," Twilight responded while moving the blanket so that Flash could join the mare in bed.

--------------------------------------

"Shiny, I can't sleep because of all the noise. Can you get me a glass of water?"

"I guess, Cadence."

Shining got up from his bed to get his wife a drink like she asked. He turned on the light in the hallway, and made his way down. However, some noises from Twilight's room made him stop in place. He decided to put his ear up to the door. He could hear the couple talking to each other.

"Hey Twily, are you thinking what I'm thinking? I'm in the mood for some fun."

"Flash, no. I'm not in the mood for that."

"Come on, dear. We're in your old house, in your old room- doesn't it just put you in the mood? It'll be like we were in high school or something."

"But what if somepony were to catch us? It would be really embarrassing!"

"Yeah, but that's a risk we have to take."

Shining could feel his face get more and more red with anger. He could hear the bed begin to squeak. He shook his head, thought for a second, but then barged in, shouting out, "Twily! How could yo-"

Twilight and Flash were in bed together with the lights on... making a fort out of the mattress, pillows, blankets, and sheets available to them.

"Huh?" Shining said as he stopped in place.

"Shining, what're doing just barging in my room?"

"I thought you guys were... well..."

"We're making a fort. It's fun and blocks out the light from the storm," Flash said.

"Oh. That's not what I expected at all," Shining said. "I was expected to have to separate you two.

"Can you please stop foalsitting me?" Twilight asked. "I'm a mare now. I'm not just your filly sister."

"I just want what's best for you, Twily."

"If you really want what's best for me, you won't interfere with my relationship. I'm not a filly and I'm not your daughter."

"But... but..."

"Can you please leave us so we can build our fort?" Twilight asked harshly.

Shining sighed, but agreed, and left the room.

"Twily, don't you think that was a little... harsh."

"Flash, I love Shining, but he needs to realise that I am mature enough to handle things on my own. He was being invasive. I don't want him to scare you off."

"He doesn't scare me, Twilight," Flash responded. "Well, maybe a little. He can fire me, after all. But he's just doing his job as a big brother."

"It's not his job to police me and watch my every move. I bet he's even warned you about getting too close to me."

"Yes... he has done that."

"See?"

"But Twily, he's just... he loves you and he wants you to be safe and happy."

"I know, but I wish that he didn't still view me as a little filly."

"Unfortunately, I think he always will. I don't have any siblings, but I think I know exactly what he's going through right now."

"What's that?"

"He's worried about you. He's battling his love for you, the fear that you'll do something you'll regret, and the fact that if we get any closer, he can risk losing you."

"I guess you're right."

"Should I talk to him? Maybe that will help things."

"If you want to, Flash."

"I think I will."

Flash made his way out of the bedroom. He found Shining Armour sitting on the couch quietly, trying to calm himself down.

"Um, Shining Armour?"

"Yeah? What do you want?"

"I just want to talk. Is that okay?"

"I guess," Shining responded begrudgingly. "Sit here."

"Thanks." Flash sat down on the couch beside the captain and prince. "I'm sorry that you had a fight with Twilight. I know exactly how you feel."

"How do you know how I feel? You don't have any siblings."

"You're right- I don't. However, I'm smart enough to know how you feel. I know that you want what's best for Twilight, yet you want to make sure she won't do anything foolish."

"Yes."

"But you also fear losing her to a stallion- no matter who he is."

"Okay."

"And you know that sometimes what a mare thinks is best for isn't always what's truly best." Shining remained silent. "Am I right?"

"Yes. You're exactly right, Flash."

"I'm sorry you two had a fight. Twilight just feels that you don't trust her." Flash breathed in deeply with nerves at what he was about to say. "I think you should just... trust her judgement and let her live her life a little. She'll be happier and it'll save you some stress."

"That's a pretty bold statement, Flash." The pegasus gulped. "But you're right. I've been trying too hard to make sure you two are being smart that I'm interfering during the worst time. You're dating, so now's the time you should have your fun before the challenges of marriage come."

"What kind of challenges?" Flash asked while turning his head in confusion.

"Think about it. You're dating a princess. If you two go any further and end up getting married, you won't see her very often. Look at me. I hardly see my wife more than once a week. She was assigned to take care of the Crystal Empire while I'm still assigned to take care of the Canterlot Royal Guard. I can only see her on the weekends now. It's not a good way to spend your first years of marriage, especially when you want a foal of your own. I've spent many evenings alone."

"Shining, I... never really thought of that."

"You'll have to think of a lot of things like this if you want to get any further with Twily. And that's not me saying that because I'll be interfering, that's me saying that because I know how hard it is to be married to a princess. It's a constant challenge that you must deal with, because if you don't it could lead to complete embarrassment. The worst part of all is that everypony near and far will know about it."

"I understand it's a challenge, but I also think the reward is worth it in the end."

"It's true. I love Cadence, and I'm so happy with her. I think you'll be happy with my Twily."

"Thank you. That means a lot. As usual, I'm glad I talked to you, captain. Like I said, I'm sorry about your fight, but Twilight still loves you. She just wants some space."

"You're right, Flash. I'll try to respect hers and your privacy a little more."

"Thanks. You're a good brother, you know that?"

"I'm an awesome brother."

Flash grinned. "Good night, Shining."

"G'night, Flash."

--------------------------------------

"So did you talk to him? Twilight asked as Flash came back in the room.

"Yes."

"And? What's going on? What'd he say?"

"Let's just say that things are going to be fine. Now, where were we?"

"We were trying to build a fort."

"Let's continue, shall we?"