• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 30,542 Views, 2,470 Comments

A Guard and a Princess - TorontoFCBrony



The now-completed comedic romantic adventure of Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
200
 2,470
 30,542

Chapter 2: Feelings of a Lowly Guard and a Beloved Princess

"Flash, why the buck are you whistling so loudly?"

"Yeah, it's really getting annoying."

"Oh, really? Sorry, gents, I wasn't really paying attention."

Flash Sentry over the next few days felt much happier at work in the Canterlot Castle. He worked with a certain pep in his step. His job didn't change. He still did occasional night shifts, where he would roam the hallways with a flashlight on his head. He also would have shifts at doors leading to important rooms. It wasn't a glamorous job, but as a new worker, and a member at his low rankings, he didn't have much choice.

The other stallions at the Canterlot Royal Guard, particularly Optimus and Sentinel, who were also low-ranking guards, couldn't put a hoof on why he was so happy, especially since guard duties had become more monotonous as of late. After all, as of late there was nothing really to protect. The city wasn't under any attack. There was no action to get excited about. Besides, isn't a royal guard's duty to protect the royalty from attackers? Lately, the job only consisted of the usual short shifts, standing at a door. That's it. Just standing there, while taking the occasional picture with tourists, not even able to smile. There were no reasons relating to the job itself to get anypony excited, so Flash's coworkers knew that it was something in his private life that was making him happy, and, naturally, they felt the need to know what it was.

"Come on, dude, you gotta tell us what's on your mind."

"Oh come on, Optimus, I don't need a reason to be happy," Flash defended. "I'm just happy being me and having a good job."

Sentinel, making a horse-sounding chuckle out of his mouth, replied, "Good job? Ha. Whatever, dude."

"Yeah, whatever. Come on, Flash, we're going to Canterlot Gardens Bar and Grill for a drink tonight. Join us."

"Not tonight, Optimus. I need to work on some stuff at home."

"Suit yourself. Come on, Sentinel," Optimus said with a wave of his hoof.

Flash Sentry was just taking off his work uniform to get into his normal clothing, which was actually being completely naked, being a pony, and then he would hit the showers. As soon as his two coworkers left the room, he saw them salute in the hallway, usually meaning a high-ranking guard or officer was in their midst. He tilted his body and head forward to try and see who was in front of his partnering guards, but he couldn't see anything from where he was.

"Sir!" the two stallion guards saluted and shouted.

"At ease, gentlecolts."

That voice. That powerful, authoritative, sexy voice. Even for a straight pony like Flash, he had to admit that voice was something special. It could only be one stallion, and one stallion only.

"Flash Sentry?"

"Sir Shining Armour, sir!" Flash saluted upon standing up as his captain came into the room.

"No need to be so tense, Flash. I am here to bring some good news."

Flash stood there in response, still saluting and watching the leader of the Royal Guard trot around throughout the locker room. Only the two of them remained inside.

"I've been hearing things about you Flash."

"Th-things?"

"No need to worry about it, young soldier. It's good news."

Those last few words tickled the ears of Flash. 'Good news?' What kind of good news could he mean? Flash thought to himself.

Shining stopped in place, directly in front of Flash, and put a hoof on the pegasus' shoulder. "In fact, I've heard very good things from your higher-ups. They've told me that your work has been fantastic as of late, and you've shown a very positive attitude. Keep up the good work!"

That was news that Flash wasn't expecting. He didn't see himself as a very good worker. He just felt like he went to work every day and got the job done. He felt that that was his duty. Maybe, though, other ponies didn't feel the way he did about their jobs.

"Why, thank you, sir. I really appreciate it. But, why? I just guard the doors and the hallways. I don't really do very much."

"I've heard that you always have a smile on your face recently, you kindly open the doors and help visitors if they are lost, and you are always showing a positive attitude lately. That's the kind of thing that I want to see in my workers. You're not just a mindless drone; you're a soldier who is proud of what he does."

Shining gave Flash a slight punch on the shoulder, a good sign that he was happy with the young guard. Flash pretended that it didn't hurt, all the while smiling outwardly and holding back a painful tear.

Flash subconsciously knew what the reason for his joy was. It wasn't the job itself, not the thing he was protecting—the castle. Rather, it was who he was protecting—Princess Twilight Sparkle.

There was something about that alicorn that gave Flash shivers down his spine. Was it her lavender, smooth coat? Her big, purple eyes? Her personality? Her abilities? Her plot? Flash didn't know the real reason yet, but there was something about waking up in the morning, going to work, and seeing her beautiful face that made his job worthwhile. It was a very strong feeling deep inside him. That feeling made him want to get to know her more.

But that was the problem. Along with his feelings of wanting to get to know her was a little voice in his head, and with good reason, too. He was just a low-ranking guard, and she was one of the three princesses of Canterlot. The voice would tell him in his head, 'You'll never be good enough for a princess, so don't even try,' and things as such. In order to save his happiness, he quieted those thoughts and just stuck to his job. Just seeing the princess day after day was enough to keep him happy, but there just had to be a way for her to notice him a little more.

He had only run into her a few times, making only small talk, but that was enough for him to want more. She seemed sweet and kind, caring and thoughtful, as well as smart. She came from humble beginnings, not from a royal family. Flash did too. But no matter how much Flash wanted to reveal his feelings to Twilight, possibly by asking her out, outwardly expressing it, writing a letter, or otherwise, he knew that it would not be an easy thing. In fact, the consequences probably matched the possibilities. He would be ridiculed for liking a princess, being overly ambitious. He would probably never be allowed to serve in Canterlot again, having to change jobs, possibly cities, uprooting his entire way of life here in Canterlot.

"Is it worth the risk?" he would ask himself.

--------------------------------------

"Good heavens, darling, it seems as if we haven't seen each other in such a long time," Rarity said.

"Yeah, Twilight, I've really missed you," Applejack added.

Twilight answered, "I'm so glad you mares could visit me. It's been really lonely out here."

"Hey, I've been here, Twilight," Spike mentioned with a little bit of offense in his voice. He was, after all, Twilight's only major confidant for a while, other than Princess Celestia herself.

"I know, Spike. You've been great. But I've really missed my pony friends."

Twilight received a planned visit from her five Ponyville friends. She had not seen them since the events of her most daring adventure- going into the human world and retrieving her crown from Sunset Shimmer, one of Celestia's previously most beloved students. After explaining to her friends what happened, and only staying a day more in the Crystal Empire, she returned home- or, rather, her new home, Canterlot.

"How's everything?" Rainbow asked while hovering in the air, as per usual.

"Did you miss us? Because I've sure missed you. I missed you so much that I went home and ate a cake all by myself," Pinkie Pie said excitedly.

"You'd do that anyway, Pinkie Pie," Twilight answered,

"Yeah, but... I still missed you," Pinkie replied.

"Me too," Fluttershy added.

Twilight could not help but show more emotion than usual. She didn't cry, but she nearly had a tear. She really missed her Ponyville friends while taking care of her royal duties in Canterlot. Just seeing their happy, energetic, excited faces was simply heartwarming. A group hug was only inevitable.

"Darling, your new room is simply marvelous, if I do say so myself," Rarity said while admiring the royal room.

"Shucks, it's almost as big as my barn and house combined," Applejack said.

"Yes, it's spectacular," Twilight agreed. "It's everything I've ever wanted and expected."

"There seems to be a little bit of doubt in your voice, Twilight. I think you miss us more than you think," Rainbow pointed out while swooping down and staying in the air in front of the alicorn, face to face.

"Well, I can't deny that."

"Anything else bothering you, sugarcube?" Applejack asked.

Twilight scratched her chin with her hoof, pondering. "I can't really put a hoof on it."

"It's okay, Twilight," Fluttershy said. "We've always been here for you. You can tell us anything you want."

"You're missing your friends in the human world?" Rainbow Dash guessed. "We're not good enough for you?"

"Oh, Rainbow, don't worry about that. I obviously do think about them from time to time, including Sunset Shimmer. I really hope she has changed her ways and become a true friend to you guys."

"Us?" they all asked in unison.

"Well, the other you guys. The you guys from the other world." Twilight paced around the room, thinking to herself. Her friends stayed quiet, hoping that this time would allow the alicorn to express what was truly in her heart. "Apart from being nervous about being a princess, which I'm currently dealing with quite well with the help of Spike and Princess Celestia, there is only one other thing that is bothering me."

"Oh goodness, what is it?" Fluttershy asked.

"I—"

"Miss a certain human male named Flash Sentry who danced with you at the Canterlot High School, who just happened to be your very first crush, even though you were never a human before, and now you are unsure if the guard here is actually the same Flash Sentry in pony form or not, and you still have a crush on him but you are too scared to admit it to him and to others both out of fear of embarrassment about liking a lowly guard and out of fear that he isn't who you actually think he is?"

Twilight gave Pinkie a look of shock, her mouth hanging wide open. The other ponies all had similar expressions. Pinkie had to take a few gasps of air.

Rainbow started, "Pinkie, that is ridic—"

"That's right, Pinkie. I don't know how, but you've done it again."

"Meh, just a hunch again. I get a lot of hunches, and they're almost always right!"

"So, darling, who's this Flash Sentry?" Rarity asked, her eyelids about one-third shut out of intrigue. Then remembering their last trip to the Crystal Palace, she continued, "Oh wait, he's one of the royal guards, isn't he?"

"Yes, that's right. But I do not have a crush on him."

"You most certainly do," Rarity teased, causing Twilight to blush.

"Just tell us, Twilight. We won't make fun of you," Rainbow informed her.

"All right, fine, I'll admit it. But don't tell anypony! I do have a crush on him. In the human world, Flash Sentry was Sunset Shimmer's ex-boyfriend. We had only spoken a few times, and he asked me out to the Fall Formal dance. I was actually running against Sunset to become Princess of the Fall Formal, and that was the only way to win the crown back. As you know, things worked out for me and I was able to return the crown. Flash, on the other hand-"

"Wait, what's a hand? You've used that word more than once," Rainbow said.

"It's the human version of a hoof, only it can hold things better and has these weird things called fingers, that are like other little hands without fingers that hold stuff. Anyway, things worked out, but I still had to leave behind the human version of you five, as well as Flash himself. We had shared a dance together, and he proved to be a really nice and caring individual."

"He sounds quite dreamy," Rarity added.

"Uh-huh," Pinkie agreed.

Twilight continued, "And it seems that every pony in Equestria has a human counterpart, so I can only assume that Flash Sentry, one of my guards, is the pony equivalent of the one through the portal. I want to talk to him to find out, but he'll think I'm weird, bringing up a whole different dimension or something. Speaking to stallions has always been hard for me."

"Twilight, darling, just be yourself," Rarity suggested. "Just talk to him the way you talk to us. If he doesn't like you for who you are, then he just isn't worth it."

"She has a point, you know," Spike agreed.

"I totally forgot Spike was here," Rainbow whispered to Pinkie, causing the earth pony to snicker.

"You really think so?" Twilight asked the collective, who all nodded their heads in response. "All right, I don't know how, but somehow and someway, I will try to talk to him. But I won't bring up the portal just yet."

"Sounds good to me," Rainbow responded while giving Twilight a light punch to the shoulder.