• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 30,548 Views, 2,470 Comments

A Guard and a Princess - TorontoFCBrony



The now-completed comedic romantic adventure of Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
200
 2,470
 30,548

Chapter 17: Fun in the Snow

Twilight looked outside her window, watching as individual snowflakes dropped lightly from the sky and onto the castle courtyard ground. Autumn was coming to a close, and most of the leaves had already fallen off the trees. It was a peaceful moment as she leaned her chin on her hoof. She was already prepared for the trip she was about to leave for- to visit the Crystal Empire to oversee the final preparations for the Equestria Games, which were scheduled in the spring to come. The stadiums were built, along with the training facilities and housing for the competitors. Peaceful times had fallen over the land, and there had not been one threat since Twilight became a princess, rendering the Elements of Harmony useless for the time being.

However, the princess still proudly wore her crown nearly all the time. Apart from being the symbol of her royalty, other than the fact that she had wings as well as a horn, it reminded her of the days when she was with her friends- the good old days. The days now were even better, but she found herself missing her Ponyville friends more and more as time went on.

This day was promising to Twilight, though, because Shining Armour was already with Cadence in the Crystal Empire waiting for them. "Them" meaning Twilight, Spike, Flash Sentry, and her parents as well, who were accompanying them on the trip. A family reunion would make the job for Twilight go by smoothly as possible; well, in theory. Every time Twilight felt stressed because of royal duties as of late, Flash was always there to lend a listening ear, and her parents were always as supportive as could be. Spike was just Spike.

The snowfall outside the window was light and didn't accumulate, but the northern climate of the Crystal Empire was always unpredictable. Twilight had her bags already packed, and she turned around to see Spike and Flash still gathering all of their things. The mare smiled as she saw her little dragon packing away his little winter jacket, and she watched as her coltfriend packed all of his things as well. He looked up and returned the smile as he zipped up his bag.

"Well, I'm done," Flash said.

"I'm... just... almost," Spike said as he tried to zip his overly-filled suitcase shut.

"One second, Spike. I'll help you," Twilight said as she came over. She used her magic to push the clothes further into the bag and zip it closed.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. Are you two ready to go?"

"Yep," Flash responded. He picked up his bag with his mouth and put it over his side. Spike grabbed his bag with his hand, which was a suitcase on two wheels so that he could roll it, and Twilight used her magic to put her bag over her side as well.

"All right, then, let's go," Twilight said with a grin of excitement. "My parents will meet us at the train station."

Spike wheeled his suitcase into the hallway first, and was then accompanied by Flash and Twilight. Spike got out the key so that he could lock the door. Even though there were always guards in the castle, it gave Twilight peace of mind knowing that only the one key could get into her room. That way she knew that nopony would go in there when she was gone.

"Wait," Twilight interrupted just before Spike put the key in the door. "Are you sure you two have everything you need? We don't want to remember on the train."

"I think so," Spike replied as he looked at his full bag.

"Um," Flash said as he started feeling his own bag with his hoof. "No, one second. Sorry, I just have to grab one more thing."

Flash opened the door and went back inside to find what he had forgotten. He brought it from home earlier that morning when he came over. He thought that he had put it in his suitcase already, but that obviously wasn't the case. With a little bit of nervousness, he quickly looked all over the room, and made his way over to Twilight's desk. After moving around pens, paper, and other office supplies, he found what he was looking for in plain sight and breathed a sigh of relief as he put it back in his bag.

"All right, I'm ready," Flash said as he came outside and joined the other two in the hallway.

"Are you sure?" Twilight asked, which was greeted with a smile and nod. "Really sure?"

"Yes."

"All right, let's go."

Spike locked the door, and the three went down the hallway to leave for the train station. As they went down the hallway and to the entrance, Sentinel, as well as a new member of the Canterlot Royal Guard, opened the doors for the three. Flash looked at Sentinel with a grin, since the latter had to take a few extra hours of work to cover for the time Flash would be missing.

"I hate you," Sentinel mouthed with his lips.

"I looooove you," Flash mouthed jokingly in response with a cheeky grin, which seemed to irk the other guard even more. The orange stallion chuckled as he accompanied the love of his life down the stairs and out of the castle.

--------------------------------------

"Oh, dear, when do you think Flash and Twily will get here? The train's set to depart soon," Twilight Velvet said to Night Light as the two waited for the others at the Canterlot train station.

"I don't know, Velvet. Twily isn't normally late. Actually, when is she ever late? I'm sure they'll be here soon."

"You're right. Our little filly is always on time."

And, right on cue, Twilight, Spike, and Flash came around the corner, creating a smile on both parents' faces.

"Twily!" Night Light said as he approached his daughter. Twilight Sparkle reached both of her parents and gave them a hug while Spike and Flash watched with contentment.

"Sorry I'm late. It's my fault," Twilight apologized after they broke up their hug.

"Um, excuse me," Flash interrupted while coming up and putting a hoof on his fillyfriend's back. "I'm pretty sure I'm the reason why we're late. After all, I'm the one that forgot your- I mean- my thing inside after we went outside. Sorry. I take full responsibility." Twilight smiled back at her coltfriend.

"No matter," Twilight's father said in response. "We still have a few minutes to go before we're off. Now, are you three sure that you have everything you need? Remember that it's going to be cold up there."

"I think so," Twilight said while looking in her bag. Flash and Spike did the same, confirming that they also had everything that they needed.

"Dear? Do you have everything you need, too?"

"Yes, Nighty. I've got everything I need," the grey and purple unicorn said in response.

"Good," her husband responded. He pointed his hoof in the air. "Because there's the train coming now."

The family of ponies, as well as Flash and Spike, watched as the train pulled into the station and let out a cloud of smoke and a loud honk. They boarded with ease, with the help of all the workers of the train company carrying their bags, and got a whole first-class cabin to themselves. It was nothing but smooth riding all the way to the frozen tundra of northern Equestria.

--------------------------------------

Twilight leaned on her hoof once again, this time watching the snowy landscape go by as the train made its way up to the cold northern part of the kingdom. The snow seemed to be picking up in both intensity and depth on the landscape the further they went. The bright sun was a much more vivid colour in the distance compared to the white ground and grey clouds.

Standing behind the mare, Flash joined Twilight in staring out the window as Spike conversed with the mare's parents on the couches in the train car. He took a look at his mare's reflection, and could see her long face turn into a smile as she noticed him looking at her.

"Thinking about anything, my dear?"

"Not really, Flashy. Not anything important, at least."

"Come on, Twily, you must be thinking of something. You've been staring out of the window for over an hour."

"Honestly, Flash, the only thing I'm really thinking about right now is what the weather is going to be like over there. I'm trying not to stress out over my duties or anything."

"Well," Flash said, followed by taking a deep breath. "I'm not a weatherpony or anything, but I'm pretty sure you'll be getting a few inches tonight," he finished with a cheeky grin and a wink.

Twilight, now with a bright shade of red on her face, replied, "F-Flash?! I-" Her shocked expression then turned into a grin. "I'm flattered, but my parents and Spike are here. That is, unless you want them to watch."

"Uh, no thanks."

"Thought so."

The stallion sat down on the couch that Twilight was on, which ran perpendicular to the window she was looking out of. "Are we there yet?" he asked in a foalish voice.

"Dear, we'll get there when we get there," Twilight said while putting her hoof on his leg.

"Is there anything to do for fun on this train?" Flash asked as he hunched over a little more.

Twilight scratched her chin with her hoof. "We could tell stories to each other," she said with eagerness.

"Um... I don't really have anything in mind right now."

"Well, is there anything in particular that you would like to do?" Twilight asked. However, she noticed that his attention was no longer on his mare. "What're you looking at?" she asked while leaning her head over and facing the same direction where the pegasus' attention was focused.

Flash looked on at Spike, who was just sitting on one of the couches at the other side of the train car. He was just sitting there, playing with his claws as Twilight's parents spoke to each other. "What does Spike like to do for fun?" Flash asked as he looked on.

Twilight pondered for a second. "To be honest, I don't really know. He has been my loyal assistant his whole life. I guess I never really asked him much."

"Well," the stallion said while smiling down at the shorter mare, "I think we'll just have to find out! Follow my lead." Twilight smirked as the two of them got up from the couch.

"'Do you, Rarity, take Spike to be your lawfully wedded husband?' 'I do,' Spike muttered to himself as he played with his own claws.

"Hey, Spike," Flash interrupted.

"Nothing!" Spike shouted in defense.

"I didn't ask you anything yet," Flash said with a grin.

"Oh," the dragon responded with a little blush.

"You're kinda bored right now, aren't ya?" Flash asked in a nice tone.

"Like you wouldn't believe."

"Well, we'll just have to do something about that, won't we, Twilight?" Flash asked while turning to the alicorn, who responded with a smile and a nod. Flash turned back to her loyal assistant, who was now eagerly looking up. "I heard that there are hidden gems somewhere on this very train. You want to go find them?"

Spike's eyes opened as wide as they could. "Uh-huh," he said while nodding aggressively.

"All right, let's go!" Flash exclaimed while leading the way. Spike hopped off the couch, and the three of them went to the door to the next car. Flash opened the door, revealing a hallway with three rooms on either side. "Okay, be very quiet," Flash whispered. "You don't want to wake the monsters that are in here."

"Okay," Spike whispered back as he tiptoed through the hallway. He could hear a commotion coming from the middle room to his right.

"If I catch you speaking to that mare once again I'll drive a pole up your flank, you hear me?" sounded a very shrill mare from the room.

"Yikes, the monsters are very angry today," Spike said as he took a step away from the door. Twilight and Flash chuckled quietly to each other.

The next door was opened by the mare using her magic, revealing the dining car, that also had a small table for buying souvenirs. Flash looked around the room. There was nopony else in it, except for the one worker at the table. The few tables were covered with white tablecloths, and they were already set for the next meal to be served.

Flash looked over to the pony at the souvenir table, and then to back over to Twilight. He gave her a wink, and then told Spike, "I feel like there are gems in this room. Maybe you should look under the tables."

"I'm on it," Spike said with a salute. He dashed and dove under one the tables.

Flash took Twilight by the hoof and pulled her over to the souvenir table. He puckered his lips and blew some air out, to tell the worker to be as quiet as she could. "Do you have any gems for sale?" he asked in a whisper.

"Sir, this is a train souvenir stand, not a jewelry store," the mare at the table whispered back. "But yes, we do have some gems, actually. They were found by our conductor in the caves near Canterlot."

"Awesome," Flash whispered while pumping his hoof in celebration. "How much?"

"Well, a small box, about the size of your hoof, is fifty bits," she responded.

"Fifty bits?! I can't afford that!" Flash responded.

"I'll help you out," Twilight said while stepping up from slightly behind her coltfriend.

"Oh, Princess Twilight?" the mare said as she saw the mare step forward. "I can't believe I didn't see you there! We have a policy where we don't charge royalty, so this box of gems is on us."

"Well, thank you very much," Twilight responded with a smile as she grabbed the small box and handed it over to Flash. "Being with me has its perks," Twilight said to Flash with a proud smile.

"But... but... Okay," Flash said, stumbling on his words as he thought to himself. "Why did you get me to pay for all the dinner dates if you get things for free."

"Well, you're the coltfriend, aren't you?" Twilight asked while putting her head down and looking upward at Flash, batting her eyelashes.

The stallion sighed. "Fine. I guess you're right. I guess... But thanks for getting the gems."

"You're welcome," she replied happily with her eyes closed.

"Spike?" Flash called out as he somehow hid the gems inside his mane, as if he was in some kind of comedic cartoon. The dragon came out the fourth table down with eager eyes, looking to see what the stallion wanted. "Find anything?"

"No," Spike replied in a saddened tone.

"Strange, I was sure that there were gems in here," Flash replied. "Oh well. Let's go to the next car."

Spike picked himself from off the floor, and the three of them went to the next car over. Flash led Spike through multiple cars of the train, making the young dragon look almost everywhere, but Spike's outlook became more and more dim as he didn't find any gems, but Flash expected that. In fact, if Spike did find gems, they would have probably been considered stolen when the pony who lost them realised.

"All right, maybe they're in this final room," Flash said as they faced the caboose of the train, which held all of the luggage for the passengers. Flash used his hoof and tried to open the door, but after a few tries, he noticed it was locked, and that there was a "staff only" sign on the door. "Well, that figures. Sorry little buddy," Flash said while patting Spike on the head.

"It's all right," Spike replied in a flat, disappointed tone.

"Don't give up, bud. You'll find some gems another time. I forgot, I just have to go do something. Twilight, do you want to take Spike to the dining room to try one more time and find some gems there," the stallion said with a wink to the lavender-coloured mare.

"All right, Flash. You go ahead and do what you need to do. I'll go try with Spike one more time," the mare replied. Flash thanked her, and dashed off down the train.

A few minutes later, while Flash was sitting down on the couch where he was earlier, looking out the window, hoping that they would reach their destination soon, he could hear young laughter coming from the next car over. Flash listened closely, as he recognized the laughter. It was coming from a certain young dragon that he cared deeply about. The door to their car opened, revealing a smiling Twilight and Spike, who was grinning from ear to scaly ear while holding a small plastic bag, jingling with gems. Flash couldn't help but smile back.

"Oh my, what do you have there, Spike?" Twilight Velvet asked as she saw the grinning young reptile.

"You won't believe it, Flash!" Spike shouted out.

"What?" the stallion replied with an acted face of concern, but Spike couldn't tell.

"When I went back to the dining room, I looked under the tables, and every table had at least one gem under it!"

"That's awesome!" Flash replied excitedly. "Don't eat it all at one time!"

"I'll try not to," the young one responded while sitting down beside Night Light on their couch. He quickly stuffed his face with the gems, which were delicious to him.

Twilight came over and sat back down on the other couch beside her coltfriend. "That was really nice of you, Flash. I'm glad you're in my life."

"Not to worry, Twilight. Heck, it gave me something to do. This train ride has been so boring." Flash looked over to the dragon, who was drooling as he devoured his treats. "And seeing his face just makes me happy."

"I appreciate it, too," Twilight said as she landed a peck on his cheek.

Flash looked into Twilight's eyes, and asked a question that had been on his mind for quite a while, "Are we there yet?"

--------------------------------------

Nighttime fell as the travelers from Canterlot finally arrived at the Crystal Empire. After a chariot ride that was provided for them through the heavy snow, they finally arrive at the Crystal Palace, where Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armour were awaiting them.

The four ponies and dragon made their way into the castle. There in the main hallway was where the couple were awaiting the rest of the family.

Twilight ran up to her old foalsitter. The two of them took a few steps to the side and stood facing each other. In unison, they sang, "Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake," before hugging each other.

All of the others greeted each other with a hug. Finally, it was down to Flash Sentry and Shining Armour. Flash held a hoof to his forehead and saluted, saying, "Hello, captain."

"Flash Sentry. Nice to see you again."

"Likewise, sir."

Unfortunately for all of the ponies, the night was well upon them, and after a long train ride, it was really time for bed. Twilight had to get up early in the morning to go with Cadence to take care of their royal duties. The prince and princess of the Crystal Empire showed their visitors to the hallway where their rooms were.

Shining Armour showed his parents to their own room, and then showed Spike into his own room as well, which was greeted by huge excitement shown by the young dragon. He also had a single large gem on the table in his own room. Still not completely satisfied from all of the gems he had earlier, Spike threw his suitcase on the bed and devoured the large green gem.

Finally, Shining Armour led Flash and Twilight to a bedroom that they were to share together, which made Flash open his eyes wide.

"Now," Shining said as he opened the door, revealing a queen-sized bed. "Can I trust you two enough that there will be no fort building or other horseplay that will go on here tonight?"

Flash saluted the prince once again. "Your wish is my command!"

"Actually, it's not a wish. It is a command. I'm trusting that you'll let Twily here fall asleep right away. She has a big day planned tomorrow."

"Shiny, I'm not a filly anymore. You don't need to worry about me," Twilight defended.

"All right, fine. Good night, you two."

Twilight and Flash quickly put their bags down and undressed from the winter clothes they had on. Flash quickly threw himself on the bed, as he had a very long day. He laid there on his back for a few seconds, but then felt like somepony was watching him. He lifted his head up to find his mare staring at him with the most seductive eyes she could put on.

"How's the bed?" Twilight asked.

"It's actually very comfortable," Flash responded while giving it a good bounce.

"Good. We can test it out."

"Um, Twily, wouldn't that count as 'horseplay'?"

"We're ponies, Flash. We're not horses," Twilight flirted back at him.

"Well, that logic will win with me every time," Flash responded with a huge grin.

"Good," the mare said while grabbing her suitcase. "Let me just get into something more comfortable."

"But you're not wearing anything already," Flash pointed out.

"What's the fun in that?" Twilight responded while going into the bathroom with her bag.

"Can't argue with that, either," Flash muttered to himself.

After a few minutes, Twilight came out wearing white lace lingerie and a saddle. She opened her eyes partway, giving Flash a set of seductive bedroom eyes. She looked directly at Flash, and he responded with a snore. Her bedroom eyes quickly turned into a look of confusion as she looked at her stallion, who was already fast asleep while lying on his side on the right side of the bed, facing inward.

"Oh for crying out loud," Twilight said with an eyeroll, but then let out a chuckle. Flash was beat from the long day he had, so he was forgiven this time. She went under the covers herself and cuddled beside Flash as he slept.

--------------------------------------

After a well-balanced breakfast fit for royalty, all of the ponies went their separate ways for the day. The two princesses left together to inspect the final preparations for the upcoming Equestria Games. Spike went with Twilight Velvet and Night Light to go sightseeing around the northern part of the kingdom.

After everypony left, it was down to Flash Sentry and Shining Armour, facing each other at the table.

"So..." Flash Sentry started.

"Want to, uh..." Shining retaliated.

"Go to the mall or something?" the pegasus asked.

"Flash, I don't swing that way. And I'm married," the prince said in a stern voice.

Flash gulped. "No, uh, I mean, um, like, as friends."

"You think you're my friend?" Shining asked rudely. Flash clearly turned pink in embarrassment.

"Um, yeah, well, I thought we were friends," Flash responded, sinking lower into his chair.

"Flash, buddy, I'm just teasing you," Shining remarked, causing Flash to open his eyes and sit back up quickly. "You're a great guy, and I'm happy you're here. Let's go to the mall. Maybe I'll actually buy something without having my wife's voice in my ear the whole time."

Flash was able to chuckle as his spirits were raised. "Sounds like a plan, Shiny."

"Hey, you can't call me Shiny! Only family can call me Shiny," he barked.

"Oh, sorry," Flash responded, his ears going down.

"That's okay," the prince and captain responded. He trotted over to the pegasus. "Maybe one day you'll be allowed to call me that," he said while punching the other stallion on the shoulder. "But not today!"

The two went to the newly opened Crystal Mall in the suburbs. After a few minutes of window shopping, they pretty much had enough. Shining mentioned, "You know, if I actually wore clothes I'd probably want come here more often."

Flash smirked in response. "Well, we can leave if you want. Unless you want to buy something for your wife."

"What do I get for a mare who has it all? She has her own kingdom all to herself."

"I feel the same way about Twilight," Flash responded. "But there's always something special that you can get for a mare."

Shining pondered for a minute. "Not really. Anything I can buy here for her she can already get for free."

"Well, it's not about what she has or how much something costs; it's about the gift itself. It shows her what you think of her and how much she means to you."

"Flash, that's... That's very true. I feel like we've been growing further and further apart as time has been going on. I just- Can you keep a secret?"

Things became serious very quickly. Flash could tell by the quick change in tone. "Of course I can, captain," he responded with ears ready to listen.

"I don't think I can do this long-distance relationship with her anymore. I feel like I need a change."

"You don't mean?"

"Yes, Flash, I mean it. I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm going to talk to Cadence tonight about leaving-" Flash held his breath. "-the Canterlot Royal Guard to come live with her here in the Crystal Empire." Flash was able to breathe again. "I just can't live so far away from her. Occasionally coming to see her just doesn't do it for me anymore. How are we ever going to draw closer as a couple if we live so far away from each other? And what if she wants to have a foal? I just don't know."

"Captain, can I actually give you some advice?" Flash asked.

"Of course you can."

Flash could then feel a growl in his stomach. "I don't feel like saying it while wandering around and with all of these ponies around. You want to go to one of the restaurants for lunch? My treat."

"Sure, Flash. But no, it's my treat," Shining Armour responded.

After finding a booth in the downstairs restaurant, Flash felt more comfortable talking about this very serious topic. "I think you should do whatever you think is best for your wife. If you do what is best for her, you will feel better about yourself. Having her with you every step of the way will make you more confident in yourself."

"I think you're right, Flash. That's what I thought as well. It's just better to hear it from somepony else."

"And besides, the Crystal Empire Royal Guard needs a captain, doesn't it? I remember that when I was there for training when I first started there were only a few native guards from the empire, and the rest were sent over there from Canterlot to assist. It would be good for you to be there to recruit more guards and take charge."

"You're absolutely right, Flash. That would take more of a load off of my love's shoulders. I think I'll talk to her about it this evening. Thank you, Flash. You've actually helped me come to a conclusion."

"You're absolutely welcome, my captain. Besides, what are friends for?"

"Now I'll just need to find a replacement," Shining pondered out loud.

Flash Sentry, knowing that he was now in a good place with his captain, now felt comfortable to ask him something that was on his mind for quite a while. "Now, Shining, I want to ask you something that's been on my mind for a while. What you say is of utmost importance to me, but I want your honest opinion."

"Anything, Flash. As long as you're not asking to be the new captain, because I haven't even mentioned it to my wife, yet."

"Oh no, it's not about that," the stallion reassured. "It's about Twilight."

"All right, go ahead."

Flash had figured out a lot about Twilight over the last few months, and the more he found out, the more he liked about her. However, he still had a few nagging questions on his mind; important things, like: does she make good sandwiches on her own? How irritable is she and how mad does she get? But there was also one very important thing on his mind as well, but it was more about Shining Armour than anything else. Flash opened his mouth, and proceeded to ask his question.

--------------------------------------

"We went to the caves in the mountains, and then to the top of the castle, which was great because my life wasn't in danger this time, and then to the mall, and then we got cotton candy and ice cream with chocolate and rubies, and then went to the toy store, and I saw all the toys, and then we-"

"Whoa, Spike, take a breath," Twilight interrupted at the evening meal with the rest of the family.

"Sorry, Twilight. I just had a really good day," Spike responded.

"We had a good day too," Twilight's mother said while patting the young dragon on the head.

"What about you, Twily and Cadence?" Night Light asked.

"Well, it was tiring," Cadence mentioned. "We made sure that all of the venues in the empire were ready for the upcoming games. It was a lot of work, mostly because we had to listen to boring technicians and designers talk about how proud they were in their work." She looked at Twilight, who smiled and nodded in agreement. "But overall it was... interesting. Things are looking very good for the games."

Shining Armour then looked at Cadence, and indicated that it was time for them to change the subject to something more important, at least for the time being. Shining, who was quiet for most of the dinner so far, spoke up, saying, "Everypony, I have an important announcement to make."

Twilight Velvet gasped. "I'm going to be a grandmother?!"

Everypony else chuckled at the table. "No, ma. Not yet, at least. This is hard for me to say, but... the two of us have decided that I should leave Canterlot to come live here with Cadence. I'm going to be the captain the Crystal Empire Guard."

Twilight and her parents were surprised by this. Spike was busy playing with his fork.

"Um, BBBFF? Why didn't you tell me about this before?" Twilight asked with a more quiet tone.

"Twily, I'm sorry. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I asked Flash for advice this afternoon, and he said that that was the best thing for me to do."

Twilight turned to Flash Sentry. "Is- is this true?"

"Yes, my dear. It's important for Shining and Cadence to be together."

"I- I guess you're right," Twilight said as she put her head down. "I'm going to miss having you around, though," she said to her brother.

"I know, Twily, I'll miss you too. I'll miss all of you. But this is something that needs to be done."

Night Light was in total agreement with his son, and Twilight Velvet was too, even though she was crying. It didn't take much for that caring mother to turn on the water works, though. She cared about her foals dearly. Princess Cadence was smiling with joy as she knew that this was an important step that her husband was taking for her happiness.

Flash turned to see his mare, who seemed a little disheartened at the news. He then turned to Shining Armour, who was on his other side, and whispered, "Hey, maybe you should go talk to Twilight. Make her feel a little better."

"Aren't you supposed to do that?" Shining whispered back.

"Yes, but I still have to do one other thing first."

"All right," Shining whispered back. "Twily, could I talk to you outside for a second?" he inquired as he turned to his LSBFF.

Twilight, who wasn't crying but looked to be on the verge of it, nodded her head in agreement, and the two of them went outside.

As the mare was about to close the door, she heard Flash say to her parents, "I have an important question to ask you."

Twilight, with plenty of things on her mind at this time, closed the door and joined Shining Armour in the hallway.

"How could you not tell me that you were leaving Canterlot?"

"Twily, be honest here: that wasn't the worst thing I kept from telling you."

"Okay, fine, nothing will be bigger than not telling me about your wedding, but this is big too! You should've told me ahead of time!"

The mare turned her face away, but Shining quickly grabbed her chin with his hoof and made her face him. "Twilight, tell me this: is it not important for me to be with my wife?"

"Yes, of course it is. I want you to be happy, and I know that for you to be happy, Cadence has to be happy also. But, just, why, ugh!"

"Twilight, please, look at me," Shining pleaded. Twilight looked up and directly into her brother's eyes. "I'm sorry. I really am. But this is something that I have to do in order for our marriage to succeed."

"All right," the mare replied.

"But I won't keep everything from you. I want you to help me find my replacement."

"Uh, what about Flash?"

"Obviously I was thinking that, but I don't want it to seem so obvious, okay? I want to make him earn it. Make him sweat a little."

"What if he doesn't want it?" Twilight asked. "It's a lot of pressure."

"I never really thought of that, actually. That's your job, then. Find out if he's up for being my replacement. Just, don't be too direct. Pretend like this conversation never happened."

"All right."

"Thank you. Now, go see your coltfriend. He's been singing your praises all day and he's dying to see you."

"Okay. I'm sorry I'm upset. I just care about you," Twilight said while hugging her brother.

"I do too, Twilight. I love you."

"I love you too, BBBFF."

Twilight and Shining rejoined the others in the dining room. All of the plates and cutlery were not put away by the staff, and Flash Sentry turned to Twilight with a smile. "Hey, Twily, I was thinking," he started.

"Yes?" she asked with an eager look.

"You want to go play outside in the snow?"

Twilight was confused, but intrigued. "Um, okay. Sure!"

"I want to come," Spike said.

"Why don't you come play games with us, instead?" Night Light asked, turning the dragon's attention away from Twilight and Flash.

"Okay," he responded eagerly.

Twilight and Flash got into their winter clothing and went outside to the local park, which was covered in white snow. It had snowed lightly throughout the day, and now there were just minor flurries as the sky grew darker, as the sun was going to set soon.

The couple found an empty part of the field with no footprints in the snow at all. The snow was as fresh as could be. As Twilight looked at the marvelous landscape, Flash gathered snow in his hoof and made a ball.

"Wow, Flash, this is lovely," Twilight said as she turned around and was hit with a snowball on the side of her face. "Hey, what the buck are you doing?" she yelled.

"I told you we were going to play in the snow, didn't I?"

"Oh, you are so dead," the mare responded as Flash threw another snowball, this time directly into her face. The heat from her anger melted the snow away.

Flash began to laugh, but his expression instantly turned into fear as Twilight had a maniacal grin on her face. Confused, Flash Sentry looked back at her as she used her horn to gather a pile of snow bigger than the stallion himself.

"Oh crap," he said as he began to run in the opposite direction. But the further he went, the more he struggled. The snow in some parts was too high for him to run easily, and Twilight gained on him. Flash looked around him as he saw a shadow bigger than him surround him. He looked up, just in time to get pounded by a wall of snow.

Twilight began to laugh. All she could see was a stallion-shaped snow pile in front of her. She trotted over and drew a smile on the face. Flash shook the snow off of him, revealing that the "face" was actually his flank, causing Twilight to fall back into the snow, laughing like a schoolfilly.

"Oh, that's it, you're dead," Flash said. As she got up, Flash tackled her back to the ground. She was on her back as he towered above her. "You're going to get the snowjob of your life!" he said as he gathered snow with his two front hooves on either side of her. "Do you have any last requests?" he asked.

Twilight reached up and pecked him on the lips.

"Hey! That's not fair! This is war, and you can't do that!" Flash yelled.

Twilight, staring back at him with puppy-dog eyes replied, "But what happens if you fall in love with the enemy?"

"Then you lose the battle!" Flash said as he was about to cover her with snow. However, in retaliation, before he could finish her off, she reached up and kissed him far more passionately. The attack was too hard to resist, as he felt the warmth from her mouth, which felt good for him. He reached his hoof around her and pushed her closer to him, and eventually completely against them as their lips were still locked. The warmth of their bodies together was enough to probably even melt the snow around them.

"Give up, yet?" Twilight asked him with bedroom eyes as she broke off.

"Fine, I surrender," he said with a calm tone.

"Good. Maybe we should somewhere else to celebrate the new peace," she winked.

"Wait, there's something I have to do first," Flash mentioned.

"Um, really? Really? Right now?"

"Yes, come with me," he said.

Twilight rolled her eyes, but followed him anyway. "All right, I guess."

Flash took her back to the castle and into the room that led to Princess Cadences throne. "Uh, Flash, why are we here?" Twilight asked. She looked at the throne. "Um. Uh. You're not suggesting we-"

"We what, my dear?"

"Make out on Cadences throne?"

"Uh, no!" Flash defended, and then snickered. "That's not why we're here."

"Oh," Twilight said as she blushed.

"The reason why we're here is just because I wanted to show you that this was where I first laid eyes on you when you came here."

"Oh, okay," Twilight said in response. She didn't think much of the place, though.

"Come on, I want to take you somewhere else, too." He led her to one of the many hallways of that castle made of crystals. He then stopped at one point of no particular interest.

"Why are we here now?" Twilight asked.

"Because this was where you bumped into me, and I picked you up. This was where I first got to look into those beautiful lavender eyes of yours."

"Ooh. I remember it now," she mentioned. "I guess this spot has some importance to you."

"Yes, yes it does."

"Well then, it has some importance to me, too," she mentioned with a smirk.

"Come on, I have one other place to show you," he said.

The climbed the stairs. And climbed. And climbed. And climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed until they eventually made it to the summit, tired, sweating, and out of breath.

"You know, pant I could have pant just used my magic to get us up here faster," Twilight mentioned.

After wiping some sweat from his forehead, Flash said, "Oh. Well, at least we got some exercise then! I know I need it."

"You don't need it," Twilight defended.

"Well, thanks. Anyway, the reason why I brought you up here is because this castle has some importance to me. This castle is where I met you, and it changed my life forever." Twilight smiled in response. "I also hope it holds some importance to you, too."

"It sure does!"

"Well, I think it's going to mean a lot more to you now," Flash mentioned. He reached his hoof into his jacket pocket. Twilight's eyes opened up wide as she leaned forward. "Twilight Sparkle, will you- oh fu-"

"What?!"

Flash instantly turned beet red. "I, uh, uh, uh, uh, I, uh. Oh crap."

"What? What? What is it?"

"I dropped something important to me when we were in the snow, I think."

"Well, let's go find it!" Twilight commanded. "Here, grab hold of me," she said. The sky grew darker as the sun began to set in the distance. Twilight grabbed a hold of Flash, and with all the might she had, used her magic to teleport them back to the park where they just were.

The stallion had to give his head a shake as he came to realise what had just happened. "Okay, what else can you do?"

"Trust me, Flashy, a lot more. Now, what're we looking for?"

"Just something small that was in my pocket. You'll know when you see it."

"Um, okay."

The clouds began to clear as the sun began to get lower in the sky. There were only a few minutes of sunlight left, before all hope of finding it was lost. Unless, of course, Twilight could use a light-creating spell, or something of the type. Flash located the place where he was buried in the snow, and began to dig furiously with his hooves. He dug deeper and deeper until he eventually hit the frozen grass underneath.

"Crap," he said as he poked his head up and started looking more.

"Um, Flash?"

"One second, Twily. I'm thinking of where I was when I was on top of you. Maybe it fell out then."

"Flash..."

"Oh, maybe it's over there!"

"Flash!"

"Yes, dear?!"

"I think I found it," Twilight said as she laid her flank on the ground. It was a small blue box that could fit in her hoof.

Flash was able to breath a massive sigh of relief. It comforted knowing that what he had lost was now found. "Why don't you open it, Twily?"

The mare looked at Flash with a little bit of curiosity, as well as a little bit of intrigue. With thoughts racing in her mind, she opened the box. She didn't even get a chance to see Flash's smile, which was from ear to ear at this point.

"Oh. My. Celestia... Oh my gosh. Holy... Oh my gosh!"

"What?" Flash asked, fully knowing 'what'. The mare looked back at him, her face just beaming. It was a ring, but not just any kind of ring. "Twily?"

"Yes, Flash?" she responded while batting her eyelashes.

"Will you marry me?"

Twilight bit her bottom lip with her top teeth. Her wings shot out behind her. "Um, well, I don't kno- yes!"

Flash raised his hoof. He was a champion. He unlocked one of the most difficult achievements imaginable.

The princess put the large diamond ring around her horn. It was a symbol of Flash's love and commitment to her. It was a treasure more valuable to her than anything she had ever received before. She then hopped in the air towards her new fiancé . He stood on his back legs and used his wings for support as he caught her with his front hooves. After letting out a giggle, she closed her eyes and kissed him. It wasn't just any kiss. It was a kiss that could last forever.