• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 30,535 Views, 2,470 Comments

A Guard and a Princess - TorontoFCBrony



The now-completed comedic romantic adventure of Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
200
 2,470
 30,535

Chapter 12: An Unpleasant Surprise

The bonfire crackled with hues of orange, red, and yellow. Marshmallows were being roasted until they were a tender golden-brown. The stars were out in full, and the wind blew lightly against the trees. It was Flash, Twilight, and Spike's final night in Ponyville after a few days of both fun and work. Twilight's five friends came to visit the backyard of the library for a campfire in order to say their goodbyes before the couple with their dragon was to leave early the next morning.

Flash and Twilight rested on the grass against each other with their backs against a log, while the other ponies found logs themselves at sat down on their rumps. Spike held a stick with his claws that branched out into smaller twigs. He was able to roast multiple marshmallows at the same time and give it to the other ponies.

"Could y'all believe it? These last few days have flown by," Applejack pointed out.

"I know, I can't believe it," Twilight said while looking into the light of the fire. "I've missed you all so much that I almost don't even want to go back."

"Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do," Rainbow responded.

"I know, I know. But I still sometimes wish things just stayed the same."

"Hey, I'm sure glad things changed," Flash mentioned.

"That's true," Twilight agreed. "Some things are actually better in my life."

"Would you like another marshmallow, Rarity?" Spike asked while holding up a fresh one from the bag.

"Sure, darling. I don't want it cooked, though," Rarity said while grabbing it with her hoof. She quickly threw it in her mouth and began to chew.

"Hey, look Pinkie, Rarity's eating herself," Rainbow whispered, causing Pinkie to chuckle. Rarity wasn't paying attention due to the gooey goodness of the treat.

"This moment is just perfect," Twilight said while looking at her friends. "I don't want it to end."

"You know what we need at this time?" Rainbow Dash asked while flying in the air.

"Oh no," Rarity said.

"Oh yes!" Rainbow replied. "We need one of my special scary stories!"

"Eeek," Fluttershy sounded quietly.

"Don't worry Fluttershy, it won't be that scary," Rainbow said.

"O-o-o-o-okay," Fluttershy replied while leaning on the ground on her hooves so she could hide herself, if needed.

Spike grabbed a flashlight and held it up to Rainbow's face as she hovered in place.

"On a very dark night, kinda like tonight, there was a young mare who was foalsitting two twins," Rainbow started.

"Hey, this story is about me!" Pinkie shouted.

"Not quite, Pinkie. This was a loooooong time ago. Like, last winter. Anyway, she had just put the foals to sleep, and she decided to read a book while sitting on the couch, because she was an egghead."

"This sounds more like me," Twilight said to Flash.

"You're not an egghead, Twily. You're wonderful," Flash said while softly touching her mane with his hoof.

Rainbow continued, "Well, the young mare felt that it was just way too quiet for her to feel comfortable, so she decided to turn on the radio that was on the table beside her. She turned it to her easy-listening station, so some background music could play while she was reading."

"This isn't scary at all," Pinkie pointed out.

"Darling, let her finish," Rarity said.

"Thanks. Well, after a few songs, there was a message from the radio station. 'This is a warning to the entire town: an escaped convict is on the loose. Keep on eye out for a tall, white stallion with a black mane. He is considered hooved and dangerous. More information will be released when we get it.'"

"Now we're getting somewhere," Applejack said.

"Well, this news made the poor young mare feel uneasy. She was alone in a big house near the forest and lake with a lot of doors and windows. She quickly ran around the house, making sure all of the windows were locked. She also quickly went upstairs to check on the foals. As she slowly opened the door, there they were, sleeping soundly."

"What's so scary about that?" Pinkie asked.

"Let me finish!" Rainbow said while putting her hooves down in frustration. Pinkie quickly motioned that she zipped her mouth shut. "Now, where was I... oh yeah. She breathed a sigh of relief that the foals were fine, and she went downstairs to finish her book. After a few more pages, and a few more songs, a funny feeling came across her." Rainbow took a look around, and everypony was quiet, listening attentively. "She decided to lower her book. She didn't know what caused the feeling, but she somehow felt that she was being watched. She looked around the room, hoping not to see anypony looking back at her. Well, there was nopony in the room, and nopony standing at the door to lead into the room. She went to the kitchen, the bathroom, the dining room; nopony was there to be found."

Rainbow began flying around the group, hoping to find a way to scare somepony. She quickly went behind Fluttershy, who was hiding her face in her hooves, and tapped her on the back, causing the yellow mare to jump and shriek.

"Be careful, Fluttershy," Rainbow said. "You should always watch your back." Rainbow went back to her original position, and continued, "The young mare decided that there was no real reason for the feeling she had, so she sat back down and continued to read. However, after a few more pages, the radio turned off. The mare felt even more creeped out than she did before. But what she saw next was far worse than a funny feeling."

"W-w-w-w-what was it?" Spike asked, shaking on his own two legs.

"There he was, standing in the window of the sliding glass doors. A stallion who matched the description of the convict, staring directly at her. She looked back in shock. He looked back with wide-open eyes and then smiled. The mare, shaking and scared, ran over to her phone and turned the dial to phone the police. After they calmed her down on the phone, a few stallions and a mare from the local force came quickly. 'Where was the stallion staring at you?' the mare from the force asked. After the foalsitter pointed to the glass doors, the two stallion officers went to the door and opened it. "Um, ma'am, there are no hoofprints in the snow,' one of them said. 'This can't be,' she replied. 'He was right there smiling at me!' 'I think you're just scared after hearing the news,' the other officer said. The police made sure the mare was calm, and then they left to go to another call. 'It was just in my imagination, I guess,' she said as she made her way back to the couch from the door. But on the way back, she noticed hoofprints from the snow, leading directly to behind her couch, where there was a pool of water. That wasn't him in the window she saw; that was his reflection."

Rainbow Dash looked around to all the ponies around her. Rarity, Fluttershy, and Spike were holding each other and shaking, Twilight had her hooves tightly gripped on Flash's foreleg, Applejack was just sitting there, unaffected, and Pinkie was playing with her mane.

"So, what did you think?" Rainbow asked.

"That wasn't scary one bit," Applejack replied.

"What about you, Pinkie?" Rainbow asked the party pony, who was still flicking the cowlick in her mane.

"Huh? Oh, that was supposed to be scary?" Pinkie replied.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and looked to Spike, Rarity, and Fluttershy. Rarity had gotten over it, but Spike was trying to comfort Fluttershy, who was still shaking. Rainbow then looked to the couple with a smile, seeing Twilight still had her hooves tightly wrapped around Flash's foreleg.

"Um, Twily, the story's over. You can let go now," Flash said to the mare who was grasping him tightly and had her eyes closed with her head on his shoulder.

Twilight moved her head back, opened her eyes, and smiled. "Um, yeah, sorry Flash. It was a little scary."

"You're still holding onto me," Flash pointed out.

"Am I?" Twilight asked. "Hmm. I hadn't noticed," she said while still holding on and resting her head back on his shoulder while staring at the now dying out fire.

"Well, I'm ready to hit the hay," Applejack said.

Rainbow yelled out a yawn and a stretch while still flying in the air. "Yep. Goodnight everypony."

"Fluttershy can come with me," Applejack said. The yellow pegasus came out from hiding under her pink mane. She flicked her hoof through her mane to straighten it out.

"O-okay. G-g-goodnight everypony," she said.

Twilight finally let go of Flash and used her magic to pick up Spike after he let out a yawn. She let him rest on her back. "Flash, do you mind putting out the fire?" she asked.

"Not a problem, dear," Flash responded as Twilight made her way inside. He grabbed the bucket of water they had and put out the fire. The smoldering wood and ashes sizzled as the remaining small pieces still on fire were put out, and a cloud of smoke filled the air above it.

"I'll be going too," Rarity said. She watched until Twilight closed the door, and then said to Flash, "The necklace is ready, by the way."

"What necklace?" Flash responded.

"Oh Flash, you don't remember? I told you that I was making a necklace for you to give to Twilight as a gift!"

"I didn't think you meant this week! That's awesome. Thank you so much! I'll pick it up in the morning before Twilight gets up."

"Sounds good, darling. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Rarity."

Flash made his way back to his bed, which was situated beside Twilight's, and across from Spike's, on the upper floor of the library. He was able to fall asleep quite easily, especially due to the joyous feelings he had in his heart.

--------------------------------------

Flash heard the sounds of the Ponyville birds in the early morning. It was a struggle for him to open his eyes, but he eventually realised that he had an errand to run before Twilight was to get up, so he forced himself to wake up. He got out of bed, and stood beside his mare, who was still sleeping soundly. Her mane was all tangled, and her blankets were everywhere. He leaned in and gave her a slight kiss on the cheek. He could see her smile as she slept, and her mane still had the smell of campfire from the night before. He looked out the window, and the sun was just above the horizon to the east.

He quietly made his way around the beds, made himself presentable in the washroom, and made his way over to Rarity's Carousel Boutique, where the fabulous mare was expecting him.

The streets of Ponyville were quiet on this early morning. There were the occasional few ponies who were making their way to work. Everypony was friendly in the small town, and they greeted the stallion as he made his way to Rarity's. It was pleasant being in a place where it was quiet and everypony was nice. It was far different than living in the big capital city.

Flash made his way to the boutique, and knocked on the door, since Rarity had not officially opened the store for business yet.

"Hello, darling," Rarity said as she opened the door and the bells on it chimed. "Come on in. I'll just grab the necklace for you."

Flash thanked the mare and happily made his way inside.

--------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle tossed and turned as she tried to wake herself up. She heard the door of the library open and close, but she was just so tired from the night before. As she eventually forced her eyes opened, she wiped them with her hooves.

"Spike? Where's Flash?" she asked as she noticed that the bed beside her was empty.

"Huh?" Spike asked as he got up with a yawn.

"Where's Flash?"

"I think he went out for a trot around the block or something," Spike said.

"Are you sure? Where did he go?"

"I'm not sure. The only thing I remember is hearing him talking to Rarity outside after you put me in bed."

"That's a little odd," Twilight said while thinking to herself.

--------------------------------------

"Oh my Celestia, Rarity, that's beautiful," Flash said while looking into the case that revealed a gorgeous necklace.

"I know, dear. It's one of my best pieces of work ever! Those are real diamonds."

"How can I ever repay you?"

"Oh Flash, I would do anything for Twilight. She's been one of my best friends for years. You don't owe me anything."

"Thank you so much," Flash replied while hugging Rarity.

"Oh my," she said as he held her tightly. She could feel his strength and the love he had for Twilight by the tightness of his hug. After Flash let go, he asked, "How do you suppose I give this to her? I don't want to just say 'here', you know? There's got to be a better way of doing it."

"Well, darling, every mare just loves to know that she's cared for. Walk in when you get back, tell her how you really feel, and just present it to her."

"I suppose I can just do that. I'll just be myself."

"There you go, my dear. Now, why don't you practice with me, hmm? I'll be Twilight, and you be yourself. Show me how you'll give it."

"Okay, here goes." Flash cleared his throat, and said, "Twilight, the day you came into my life was the best day of my entire life. Every day when I wake up and I know that you're my special mare, I get the biggest smile on my face. I got you this to show you how much I love and cherish you." Flash opened the case and revealed the necklace to 'Twilight', played by Rarity.

"Oh, Flash, you shouldn't have," Rarity said in her best Twilight impersonation.

"Twilight, I don't even deserve you. Please, just, take this as a token of my appreciation. For accepting me the way I am, for making me the stallion I am today, and, really, for giving me a purpose in life."

"Oh, Flash, you little flirt. You shouldn't have." Rarity grabbed the box and put down. "Oh, Flash, I love you so much."

"I love you too, Twilight."

Rarity jumped forward and put her hooves around Flash's neck and locked her lips on his. Flash's eyes opened up wide, and he made sounds of struggle. He didn't want to kiss one of Twilight's friends. He never even thought of it. But there was the beautiful Rarity, with her lips locked on his, and her eyes closed. He made a few more sounds, trying to get her off, but as he felt the freshness of her breath and the feeling of her mouth, he slowly closed his eyes and returned the kiss.

"Flash? Are you here?" the two heard as the bells chimed and the door opened.

Flash quickly opened his eyes, realising the mare whom he was kissing, and looked at the door to see Twilight with watery eyes.

Rarity quickly broke off the kiss and wiped her mouth. "Oh, my dear, you started me. Did you want something?" she asked with a nervous voice to try and detract from what had just happened.

"No," Twilight replied as she closed her eyes and looked down. A single tear fell from along her furry cheek. "Not anymore."

Flash watched as the mare he loved with all his heart turned around with her head down. He felt like he was just punched in the gut. Even though he didn't mean it, he hurt his mare very deeply, and he knew it right away.

--------------------------------------

"Come on, Spike, we're leaving," Twilight said with a stern tone. Her tears had dried off on the way back. She didn't want to hurt her dragon, who had looked up to Flash, and who also loved Rarity.

"Wh-what about Flash?"

"He's not coming. He'll find his own way home. The chariot's already here."

Spike was confused as to why Flash Sentry, the stallion who seemed to be perfect, was not coming home with them. But from the look of hurt on Twilight's face, he knew that he just couldn't argue it. He knew he needed to just gather their things, and go home, which is exactly what the two of them did.