• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 30,548 Views, 2,470 Comments

A Guard and a Princess - TorontoFCBrony



The now-completed comedic romantic adventure of Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
200
 2,470
 30,548

Chapter 1: Dear Princess Celestia

Dear Princess Celestia. "Oh yes, that's a good start." I am writing to you this late evening to express to you a few certain concerns weighing heavily on my mind.

Princess Twilight Sparkle looked around her new room in the Canterlot Castle while sitting upon her white wooden chair and writing on her smooth white stone desk. Her new, temporary home in Canterlot was nothing short of spectacular. The single room was bigger than both her foalhood home in Canterlot and her library home in Ponyville put together. The beautiful white stucco walls, nearly ten metres high, held up the magnificent floor-to-ceiling windows, which she could see through even while sitting down at her desk. What was even more special was the view. She was able to see about half of Canterlot just by looking through the windows.

The city was always moving, even in the late hours of Princess Luna's night. Twilight could not sleep on this night, which just so happened to be the night that she returned from visiting the Crystal Empire and going through one of her most daring adventures ever. Her friends had returned home to care for their everyday lives.

Sitting on her chair, thinking of the best way to express her concerns to her mentor, she picked up her pen by means of her lavender-coloured magic.

I can't sleep tonight. I feel more worried than I ever have in my entire life. I don't know the first thing about being a princess; or a leader of any sort, for that matter.

Twilight looked over to her faithful companion, Spike, who was like her own fur and blood. Ever since Celestia gave Spike over to Twilight, she took care of him as if he was her own, and he was her most faithful companion. He even had to deal with the humiliation of turning into a dog and having to sit in his owner's backpack while she wandered the hallways of a high school filled with creatures that neither of them had ever seen before. He had to watch her awkwardly try to walk on two legs. He had to watch her nervously speak to a boy she thought was cute. He had to deal with having to keep quiet so as not to blow Twilight's cover in a world that wasn't hers. But, even through all of that, he was the only creature who Twilight could trust completely, and he helped her get through the most difficult challenge of her life.

Twilight watched as he slept soundly on his small bed beside her own. She knew that she couldn't wake him. He was already tired enough from always being at Twilight's side, assisting her in anything she did, and he was still a baby dragon, after all, so she felt that it just wasn't right to wake him up to share her problems.

The only other pony she could turn to was her mentor, Princess Celestia. The nighttime was Celestia's time to rest, but she often was too busy to sleep the whole night through. Even through all of her royal duties, all of her concerns, all of her worries, the prime ruler of Equestria still managed to find time to care for her most cherished and loved student. She was truly the best example for a young mare like Twilight, who still felt like she was too young to be a ruler herself.

I really need your help. You have always been there for me and I feel like I can never return the favour to you no matter what I do. But I need to ask one more thing of you.

Twilight thought long and hard about what she was about to write in order to get out her message in the most respectful yet factual way.

I need to know why you chose me of all ponies to be your most faithful student. How do I know that I will be able to live up to your expectations? How do I know I won't leave you like Sunset Shimmer did? And how do I lead an entire kingdom? That is, of course, if that's what you have planned for me. To be honest, I don't really know what you have planned for me. I feel like I am in way over my head, and I desperately need some reassurance and guidance. Please write back in the morning, or at your greatest convenience. Your most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

A stream of purple magic lowered her pen back down on the table. She lifted up her paper with her hooves to make sure that her letter was exactly what she had wanted to write. After a quick scan of it, making sure that her grammar and spelling were right, and making sure that she got her message across, she put it back down on the table. She looked over to Spike to see if he would be able to send the message, but he was still asleep. After letting out a quiet yawn and stretching her hooves and new wings, she made her way quietly over to her bed. "Maybe it's best if I just live and learn how to be a princess myself. I can learn by my many mistakes to come."

After getting herself comfortable, lying down on her side, Twilight slowly closed her eyes, hoping to get some sleep. Her worries still stayed on her mind, though. In the morning, which was surely only three or four hours away at this point, she was to make an appearance with Princess Celestia at a meeting with leaders visiting Canterlot from all around the world, including the United Kingdom of Great Britmane, Mexicolt, Germaneigh, The Neightherlands, and Saddle Arabia. That was something that the young, new princess did not feel prepared for. This was what was causing her to have her nervous feelings.

"Oh, Spike. I actually wish you were awake so you could comfort me," Twilight said while looking at her tired baby dragon, sleeping like the baby he was.

"Ummm... Unf... Ugh..."

Twilight tossed and turned as she tried to get comfortable.

"Stupid wings! Go down!"

Pomf

"Ugh!"

"Mmmm... Twilight? Are you okay?"

"Spike? I'm so sorry I woke you up." Twilight reached a hoof down and lightly pat her baby dragon on his scaly head.

"Are you still getting used to the wings?" Spike asked while wiping his eyes, trying to see Twilight better.

"Yes, but that's not all."

"Nervous about tomorrow?"

Twilight looked at Spike with puppy-dog eyes and nodded. "I am. Not only about tomorrow, though."

Spike jumped up on the bed beside Twilight and touched her hoof with his hand gently. "You're scared about being a princess, aren't you?"

"Yes..."

"And you think you won't be good enough?"

"Uh-huh."

"Twilight... I... I don't know," Spike began. "There's only one thing that's bothering me about this."

"Oh, and what's that?"

"You're awesome, Twilight! Even after all of the adventures that you have been on, you still think you won't be good enough?"

"Thanks, but this is different, Spike. I've never been a princess before. I've never led ponies quite like this."

"Yeah, and you had never been a human before either, but that didn't stop you from retrieving your crown."

"Okay, but that doesn't mean I will be ready for this."

"You weren't prepared to protect the Crystal Empire, but you did. We even sang a song about it when the music came out of nowhere." Spike waved his arm in the air over his head, semi-sarcastically.

"Yeah, but... but..."

"Just admit it, Twilight. You've been prepared for every test so far. You can be a princess if you truly believe in yourself."

Twilight paused for a few seconds. She reached her hooves over and, grabbing Spike to give him a hug, said, "Thanks, Spike. I'm glad you woke up."

"That's what I'm here for," he replied. "I'm here to... to..." Spike was too tired to finish his sentence. He fell asleep on Twilight's chest. She felt so content with him there that she was finally able to fall asleep too.

--------------------------------------

Cheep. Cheep cheep. Cheep.

"Huh? What's that?"

Cheep cheep cheep.

"Ugh. Morning already?" Twilight groaned, trying to put her pillow over her head.

Twilight heard the sounds of the Canterlot birds, singing their morning song. It probably would have been a beautiful thing to wake up to, if only it wasn't at six in the morning, and after a nearly sleepless night for the new princess. She was about to get up, until she realised that Spike was still asleep on her chest from before. She couldn't help but crack a smile at her little assistant. After all, he actually really did help her the night before.

"Spike... hey," she tried to say quietly to wake up the young dragon.

"Mmmm... Mommy?" Spike asked with eyes only about one-third open.

"Not quite," Twilight said with a smile.

"Good enough for me," Spike responded, putting his head back down on her soft, furry belly.

Twilight nudged his head with her hoof. "I have to get dressed, Spike. I have an important meeting today."

"Oh, right." He slowly picked himself up, throwing himself flat into the pillow of his smaller bed beside Twilight's, falling back asleep nearly immediately.

Twilight, tired as ever, managed to get herself ready. She took a quick look in the mirror. Her pink and yellow dress looked 'simply marvelous,' as Rarity had put it when she designed it. Her recently retrieved elemental crown glowed when the morning sun hit it through the windows. Her mane was styled in her new royal way. If it wasn't for her bloodshot eyes due to lack of sleep, she would have looked absolutely perfect. But, still, she was good enough for a princess.

--------------------------------------

Spike paced back and forth in their new bedroom in the castle while he was waiting for Twilight to return from her meeting. He splashed the water in the fountain in the middle of the room- a white stone circular pool with a statue of Princess Twilight in the middle, pouring water out of her horn and down into the small pool below.

Meanwhile, Twilight was busy talking to Princess Celestia after the meeting.

"Twilight, my most faithful student, you've really made me proud over the past few years."

"Do you really mean that, Princess Celestia?"

"I do," the older princess said while putting her foreleg around the her most beloved student's neck as they looked outside to the city through the window.

"Thanks. Even though I was quiet for most of the meeting?"

"Of course. You responded when spoken to, you answered correctly, and you listened attentively and respectfully."

Twilight smiled in response, only to have it change into a yawn.

"Did you have a late night, Twilight?"

"Yes, I really didn't sleep well. I tossed and turned for hours."

"You're worried about being a princess, aren't you?"

"Well, yes. I felt like... I feel like I am not capable of being a leader. I was going to send a letter, but Spike comforted me. I still feel like I'm not fully ready, though."

"Twilight, I've known and have grown to love you since you were a little filly. You have always been my most faithful student. You have faced every challenge with bravery and have come so far, that I couldn't be more proud of you. If anypony is capable of being a princess, it's you."

Twilight nearly had a tear in her eyes. No words had ever been more comforting to her in her entire life.

"Thank you... Thank you so much. I promise I won't let you down."

"I know you won't."

Twilight was able to leave the room feeling confident and joyful; so much so that she ended up humming a song to herself as she made her way down the hallways and back to her room. As she made her way, she looked up to the left and right of her at the tall walls to see the majestic paintings—artwork that had been there since the first and only king and queen of Equestria, Celestia's and Luna's parents.

She made her way, getting closer and closer to her room. One painting really stuck out in her mind. It was a mural of her and her friends defeating Nightmare Moon, and reuniting Luna with Celestia. It brought back memories of how she was fully capable of taking on tasks that she felt unqualified for at some times.

"Maybe I'm ready to be a princess after all," Twilight said while trotting and lost in thought. Unf!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry, miss. I wasn't looking where I was going."

Twilight was bowled over by a stallion, also not paying attention to where he was going. It must have been a common thing due to all of the beauty on the walls of the castle.

"It's okay, I wasn't looking either," Twilight responded while grabbing the outstretched hoof of the stallion. That fur—there was something about it that seemed so familiar. It was a yellowish-orange colour.

"Flash Sentry?" Twilight asked while picking herself up with his help. She looked directly into the shining blue eyes of the stallion, and memories of her encounter in another world came back to her. She could feel a blush on her cheeks.

"Why, yes! Princess Twilight Sparkle? I'm so sorry that I keep bumping into you."

"What are you doing here? I thought you were assigned to the Crystal Palace."

"Oh no, I'm working under your brother at the Canterlot Royal Guard. I mean, not under him, but, you know. He's my boss. Anyway, I was only there for training." Flash, after stumbling on his words, tried to hide his blush by scratching his cheek. "Why do you ask? You don't want me here? Well, maybe it would have been safer for you if I wasn't," he responded with a saddened tone.

"Oh no, I want you here... I mean... It's good that you're here. It's nice seeing a friendly face."

Flash smiled at the princess. "I'm happy I'm here too."

"So... umm..."

"Yes, my princess?"

Twilight blushed at being called that. "Please, call me Twilight."

"All right, Princess Twilight."

"So..."

"Yes?"

"I'll be seeing you around?"

"Of course you will," Flash responded with a grin. He pointed his hoof around the area. "I'll be here, guarding the castle and the lovely royalty that reside."

"All righty then. Well... I'll see ya around," Twilight responded with a smile, which was returned. She turned to go back to her room.

"Wrong way?" asked Flash as she turned around and started walking back.

Twilight chuckled and replied, "Um... yeah. Oops."

--------------------------------------

"Oh, Twilight. I hope everything's okay," Spike said while still waiting for the mare who was like a mother to him. "You've been gone a long time."

Just then, Twilight came in through the door. She leaned her back against the door and slid down, falling to her rump with a sigh for sheer contentment and a grin from ear to ear with her eyes closed.

"Twilight!" Spike shouted out as he ran towards the door. "Are you okay?"

"Everything is just perfect."