• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 4,982 Views, 234 Comments

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night - iowaforever

  • ...
6
 234
 4,982

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

One of the disadvantages of living in a castle made mostly out of crystal was that you knew when the sun rose. Specifically, when dozens of crystals beamed the sun directly into your face, making sleeping in impossible. Since he was the nice, dutiful husband, Shining Armor had allowed Cadence to take the side facing away from the window, giving him the full brunt of Celestia’s Sun as it rose over the Crystal Empire.

Shining Armor squinted as he looked outside. By the amount of sunlight currently blinding him, and by the fact that Cadence was still asleep, he guessed it was around 7:30 in the morning. Celestia must have listened to me; the sun’s up five minutes later than usual, he thought as he yawned and sat up, his movement stirring Cadence from her sleep.

“Do you always have to move so much when you get up?” she asked, her voice muffled by her pillow. Shining blinked a few times and looked over to his wife.

“It’s 7:30; I have every right to move around as much as I want.”

“No you don’t.” Cadence shifted around, trying to find a more comfortable spot to sleep. Sighing, Shining poked her between the wings, a spot that Princess Celestia had said she was very ticklish. Cadence gave a yelp and flared her wings, knocking the sheets away from the rest of her body. “Shining!”

“Sorry, my hoof slipped.” Shining gave her a playful smirk. “Besides, didn’t you want to get in touch with one of the local contractors and see if we could build a stadium?”

“I don’t want to.” Cadence grabbed a nearby sheet and pulled it over her head. “You go do it. It’s more of your thing, anyway.”

“I would if I was in charge here. Come on Cadence, get up.”

“I’m not feeling so good. Go put on one of my dresses and say you’re standing in for me today.” Now she’s just making excuses. Shining leaned in again and poked Cadence once more, receiving a pillow to the face for his troubles.

“Come on, Cadence. Get up.” Cadence groaned and pushed herself up, glaring at Shining Armor.

“I hate you, you know that?”

“No you don’t.” Shining gave her a quick kiss, and Cadence could not help but smile. She gave Shining a poke on the nose and climbed out of bed, fluffing her wings and yawning before stepping into the nearby bathroom.

“Oh, Twilight sent me a letter the other day.” Cadence called from the bathroom.

“Really?” Shining perked up at this; given the Crystal Empire’s location, letters from non-government officials were hard to come by, even from somepony like Twilight. It seemed that ever since he took his position as captain of Equestria’s Royal Guards, the two of them had been drifting farther and farther apart. I really need to go down and visit sometime. “What did she say?”

“She’s doing fine. Princess Celestia wanted her to do some research on some old mystic items she found in the Canterlot archives.”

“That’s interesting.” he chuckled to himself. “I’d like a copy of whatever paper she ends up writing”

“I’d like to see a copy of that too.” Cadence stepped out of the bathroom, her mane and tail combed and orderly. she gave Shining a smile, but that smile shifted to a frown when she noticed his concern. “Shining, is something wrong?”

“Cadence?”

“Yes?”

“Earlier you said you weren’t feeling too good.” he stepped closer to her. “You were joking, right?” Cadence laughed and gave Shining a poke.

“Of course I’m joking. You know you don’t have to be so protective of me, right?”

“Cadence, we’re married; part of my job is to be protective of you.” Cadence rolled her eyes and made her way to the door.

“Honestly, Shining, sometimes you just overreact to some things. You sound exactly like one of my caretakers when I was a little girl; they were always worried I’d end up getting myself hurt or something.”

“And...?” Cadence shuffled around for a moment.

“Okay, so I broke each of my legs a few times, but Diana always ended up worse!”

“Cadence,” Shining Armor walked over to her, placing a hoof on her back. “I don’t want to seem like I’m overreacting, it’s just that you’re my wife, and I’d hate to see you get hurt or worse because of something I could have prevented.” there was a pause before Cadence smiled.

“You’re scared.” she said. Shining blinked as he registered what Cadence had just said.

“... What?”

“Come on, Shining. You’re scared, aren’t you?”

“I’m not scared.” Cadence flicked Shining with her tail and exited the room.

“Sure you aren’t.”

“And... now you’re teasing me. That’s really befitting your station, Princess.” This earned him another swat, this one a bit more forceful.

“You said you wouldn’t call me that!” she cried. Shining merely shrugged.

“You call me scared, I call you Princess. I think it’s a fair trade.” Cadence’s mouth flapped open for a moment, before she gave a dissatisfied huff.

“Ruin all my fun, why don’t you?” she grumbled.

“Love you too, sweetie.” Shining gave Cadence a kiss on the cheek, and despite her attempts at pretending to be angry she could not help but smile.

“Why can’t I stay mad at you?” she asked.

“I guess I’m just that kind of pony.” he chuckled. “Now are you sure there’s nothing wrong with you?”

“Yes Shining; there is nothing wrong with me. Anything else you would like to know?”

“Not really.” Cadence gave him a playful swat with her tail.

“Come, we’ve wasted enough time here; the others will start getting nervous.” Shining nodded and followed Cadence as she made her way further into the Crystal Palace. As they walked along, they spotted dozens of ponies getting started with their daily tasks, most of them giving Shining and Cadence a nod or small greeting as they passed.

“You know,” Cadence said. “I think we should do something nice for the staff here.”

“Like what?” Shining asked.

“I don’t know. Something to show how much we appreciate all their hard work.”

“Well... Didn’t Twilight have that one friend who really liked making ponies happy, Pinkie Pie?” Cadence smiled and nodded.

“That might just be it. I’ll send a letter and see if she’d be willing to come up.”

“Oh, I have no doubt she’d be interested...” Shining stopped walking for a second. out of the corner of his eye he saw two ponies talking. It was just innocent conversation between two friends, but the subject matter was not one that Shining Armor was incredibly fond of.

They were talking about changelings. Specifically, what it would be like to meet a changeling.

They spoke of how cool it would be to meet a changeling face-to-face. Shining Armor knew better; they never had to stand against hordes of chitinous beasts, never had one rummaging around in their minds, impersonate someone they loved... Sometimes he thought he could still see Chrysalis standing over him, hundreds of her minions leering down at him, her laughter-

“Shining? Shining?” Shining was snapped from his lull and turned to Cadence, the pink alicorn looking at him in worry. “Is something wrong?”

“Oh, no. Just... Just didn’t get enough sleep, that’s all.” Cadence raised an eyebrow at this. “I’ll explain later. Somewhere private.”

“... Fine.” Cadence continued on, while Shining looked back to where the ponies he had overheard were standing.

Maybe... Maybe I am scared...

..................

Abin Sur was sure of three things: he was injured, his ring was almost out of power, and the ship he had commandeered was going down.

He grimaced as he pulled himself up from the floor, pushing away a collection of debris from the ship’s controls. A nearby panel overloaded and exploded, spraying sparks into his face, but he ignored that as he brought up his ring.

“Status report.” he said, ducking as something behind him broke loose.

“Structural integrity is at 43.5% and dropping.” the ring responded. “Power levels at 23% and holding. Recharging is needed if you are to make it to Oa.” Abin Sur looked around at the dying ship.

“I don’t think I’m going to survive that long.” he turned back to the ring. “Can you send a message?”

“Due to low power levels, contact may see some interference.”

“Do it.” Someone needs to know.

“Transmitting...” there was a pause before the ring spoke again. “Contact made.”

“Put me through.” There was another explosion from behind. As Abin Sur ducked to avoid more shrapnel, he winced as something blunt jammed into the wound in his stomach. He pushed the pain out of his mind as the ring made contact.

“This is Green Lantern of Sector 1417 responding.” a voice said through Abin Sur’s ring.

“Sinestro? Good, it’s you.” Abin Sur propped himself up as best he could. “Listen. The ship I’m currently on is going down, so I can’t talk long.” there was a burst of static before the second voice responded.

“... repeat-” static.

“I don’t have that time. Listen, it’s the Manhunters; they’ve-” an explosion forced Abin Sur away from the ring. “The Manhunters; they have started launching attacks into this sector.”

“Repeat-” static. “Manhunters-” more static. “not in Sector 2814.”

“I know that, but they are here now. Ring, transmit all the data I have collected on the Manhunters.”

“Transmitting...” there was a pause. “Data transmitted.”

“I’ve sent you all of the information I have on the Manhunters.” Abin Sur continued, winching again as his injury flared up. “See to it that it reaches the Guardians.” more static before there was a response.

“Will-” static. “- Abin Sur.”

“Transmission terminated.” the ring chirped. Abin Sur struggled over to the ship’s command chair, pulling the controls close to his body. “Structural integrity at 38.7% and dropping.”

“Do we have a point of impact?” if anything, Abin Sur hoped that the ship would not be on a collision course with a planet. Then, he would be able to abandon the ship and call for help, if he did not succumb to his injuries first.

“Calculating...” There was a beep before the image of a star system appeared, the ring highlighting a small planet close to the local star. “Planet Celeste-3, local name ‘Equus’. Point of Impact is at the Center of the Crystal Empire, Equestria. Estimated loss of life at eleven hundred and thirty-five sentients. Estimated time until arrival in planet’s atmosphere: .022 local hours.”

“Can we maneuver out of the way?”

“Structural integrity cannot survive that level of maneuvers. Ring power is at 15%; insufficient to provide support.”

“Please tell we we at least have basic steering.”

“Manual steering is still viable, but very likely that ship will break up upon entering atmosphere.” Abin Sur looked out towards the small planet his ship was now approaching. The section he was headed for was shrouded in darkness, save for the pinpricks of light from towns and cities. He grimaced and pulled on the controls, trying to adjust the direction of the ship as best he could.

“I can accept that risk.” He gave the controls another tug as the ship hurled through the atmosphere, chunks breaking off and disintegrating into dust due to the friction. Warning lights flashed around his head, only to be silenced as the various systems collapsed due to damage.

“Structural integrity at 25% and dropping.” The ring said.

“Just keep it projected; do not remind me.” the ring produced a small screen, indicating that he was now at 20% structural integrity, and that the ring itself was at 12% power and dropping. Abin Sur said a silent curse and tugged at the controls once more, the ship plummeting through a layer of clouds towards the ground below.

Due to the location of the Crystal Empire and the trajectory of his ship, Abin Sur was set to crash somewhere in the Equestrian Tundra. In many ways, he was thankful; crashing here would see no sentients harmed, and provide a means with which to dispose of the ship if necessary. However, with his injuries and low power, his chance at surviving the crash were remote at best.

“Impact imminent; bailout suggested.” his ring said, but he knew that it was too late to do anything. Pulling at the controls once more, Abin Sur closed his eyes as the snow-covered ground raced towards him.

There was a brief flash of pain. And then nothing.

...............

The ship had landed on a section of solid ground. Most of it had been ground to scrap metal, bits and pieces strewn across a mile-wide area, but the ring and it’s power battery survived.

“Life readings... negative.” The ring said after a moment of silence. “Status Report: Green Lantern 2814 deceased. Transmitting information to Oa.” another pause. “Transmission complete. Sector scan 2814 for replacement sentient initiated.” the ring levitated off the ground, hovering for a second as it scanned the surrounding tundra. “Settlement spotted. Searching for replacement.” It’s destination set, the ring began to fly towards the Crystal Empire, a small aura of green amongst the snowy wastes.

As the ring searched, Shining Armor dreamed of lights...

Author's Note:

In some ways, I'm going to have trouble with this... mainly with colors. Anyone that's read God Empress of Ponykind knows my love/hate relationship with color: makes things look cool, pain in the ass to format. Still, need a way to make sure people know when the rings are talking.
I don't own Ponies or Green Lantern; they belong to Hasbro and DC respectively. Likes and comments are appreciated, and if I screwed something up please let me know.