• Published 16th Feb 2012
  • 2,513 Views, 125 Comments

Diamond Heart - Wayofthepen



Life ain't a box of chocolates, and I learned this the hard way...As a dog, nonetheless.

  • ...
18
 125
 2,513

Meeting of Fate

I opened my eyes to find myself in a cave of sorts. There were holes in the walls that resembled doors and windows, all of which had other Diamond Dogs looking at me. Eyes watching as I slowly made my way to the end of the long pathway. An actual door was awaiting when I reached the end, and I had a bad feeling about it. I shoved the feeling away as I stepped through the door. After fully stepping through, I heard it slam shut and lock. I quickly turned to it to be sure I heard right.

“Rumors is true?” A voice called out to me. I turned the other direction to find three seats on the other end of the room. The center seat was empty, but on the left was a male dog, who had spoken to me. In the right was a female, but she kept quiet. “New dog among old?” He called again.

“Yes. It’s true.” I said, not even bothering to try an accent. “I am not of here, but something told me to come. A...Voice in my head.” When I said this, both faces of the dogs changed from uncertain to a mix of happy and confused.

“Then it true. He is one we wait for.” The female called to me, raising a paw.

“Then we can drop the accent. He can speak well enough without the aid of the runes.” I looked at the two confused. They spoke clearly, as I did. They showed me that they had some sort of arcane necklace, which glowed differently for each. The male was a dark shade of green, while the female’s was deep purple. “Silver Claw, tell him.” She nodded to him and took a deep breath.

“We are from Equestria, but you are not. Every dog here has waited the third for some time. The third is the one who will be untouched by magic, as well as age. We have lived for over a thousand years in peace.” Their as old as Celestia! She continued. “We have lived in peace by staying hidden, and we have remained so since the founding. We were told that the third would come and take the rune, as you are about to.”

I closed my eyes for a moment, and took a deep breath. “Alright. Take me to the rune.” The two got up and took me to a section of the stone wall. I examined the wall. There were two paw marks in the wall, and the voice in my head called once more. ‘Put your paws where they should be. If you are truly the third, then you will be unharmed. If not, then you will join the others before you in death.’

I hesitantly put my paws on the wall. A blue aura surrounded me, spreading to the wall before shattering it to pieces. “He is the third.” Silver Claw said after the smoke subsided. A white energy field blocked the path into the area. The two dogs backed away, but not in fear. “Step through, third.” I gave a nod and stepped through the light, unprepared for what I would see.

I was standing before ten alicorns, two of which I recognized. Shadow was in line with the nine, but Spade was standing in front of them all. Anger was all over his face, as were the others, but not Shadow. She looked sad, if anything else. “Why? Why did you do it?” I looked at Spade blankly. “Don’t play dumb, we know you killed her.”

“What are you talking about? How did I even get here?” I called to him, but he shook his head. My eyes finally adjusted to the light in the area. Each alicorn was armed to the teeth and aiming at me. My claws were drenched in blood, and next to me was the dead body of Princess Celestia. “What...What happened...?” I stammered, unsure what to believe.

The voice rang through my head. ‘Third, do what you must to prove yourself.’ I looked around frantically, but my search was stopped short by Spade taking a step towards me.

“You are out of your mind, Spade. If anything at all, I would have been defending her. Have you so easily forgotten what I did for Shadow?” Spade looked back to her, who just stared at him. The other alicorns just looked at me confused. “Oh look, you didn’t bother tell them either. I don’t give my life for anyone, but I will defend myself...Even if it means killing you.” He turned back to me, anger all over his face.

“Prove it.” Words I didn’t want to hear, but he left me with no choice as he charged his horn at me. I leaped into the air, claws at the ready. He ran under me and turned around, not seeing me swipe my claws across his side. I landed on all fours, snarling as he charged at me once more. Right before we collided, I jumped with my claws forward. They plunged deep into his chest, sending blood flying all over me. I stood over his dying body for a moment before turning to the others.

“I have had enough of your games. I did not take pleasure in killing him, but it needed to be done.” I called out to no one in particular. When I had no response but terror from the alicorns, I saw something on the ground. It had fallen out of Spade’s satchel. Bending down to pick it up, I saw what it was. It was a picture of him, Shadow, and a little foal. “I said...I have had enough!” The words came out as a roar, causing everything around me to disintegrate. The only thing in the now white room was a floating stone. I stepped towards it, unsure of what to feel.

‘You have passed the test,’ the voice called to me, ‘now take what is rightfully yours, third.’ I took the stone, but when I held it in my paws it started to change. It became a necklace, like the other two had, but it was a deep blue. I put it around my neck and was cast out of the white room.

Getting to my paws, I looked around the throne room. The two leaders were staring and smiling at me. “You must make the real journey here now, third. This was just the trial, and we will have the rune ready for you. We are far south of Ponyville, but come alone. We eagerly await your arrival.” Silver Claw said to me as I was cast back from the dream into reality.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I woke up breathing hastily. Time to get moving, they’re waiting. I sat upright in my cot for a moment before keeping my pace. I tried to remove as much of the cover as I could without waking Lance, but to be sure I kept checking. After clearing a hole big enough for me to get out, I jumped and landed in one fell swoop. There was a soft thud as I landed. I decided to leave the hole open, just to get to the leaders on time.

I tried to sneak away, but due to my big paws I kept snapping twigs every so often. I kept walking until I felt a sudden prick in my back. It hurt enough to make me want to let out a yelp, but I covered my snout. I checked to make sure I wasn’t heard, then decided to run as far as I could.

I had switched to all fours at some point. I didn’t know what to look for, but something was telling me the directions. I closed my eyes and honed in on the voice. ‘Look for the markings...’ I didn’t know what it meant, but soon after I found myself at a cave. I hastily stepped inside and followed the dark tunnel, unknown to what may be inside.

After a few minutes, I finally came to a dead end. I remembered what the voice said and started looking for strange markings. The only things I saw was a lot of scratchings across the surface of the wall. I stepped back and got a better view, which made me smirk at what it looked like. It was a hooded figure with claws, reminding me of myself before I tore off my outfit. I stepped to it and put both paws on it, trying to push it aside. I was taken by surprise when it moved with such ease, and the fact I fell down a hole.

In the middle of falling, it turned to more of a slide. Like one of those water slides, just replacing the water with semi-painful rocks. After the fall, my eyes were so adjusted to the darkness that the light blinded me, forcing me to cover my eyes with one of my arms. “Is him?” Was all I heard as I was forced to my paws.

“Who know. Take to leaders.” I felt myself being dragged along the floor, being held up from under my elbows. My eyes finally adjusted to the light, which was given off by the strangest thing imaginable. Gems littered the entire ceiling of the cave, as well as above the entry ways to the homes. I was in complete awe.

After about a minute or so of being dragged, I was left at a door. The same door from my dream, including all of the dogs around me. I pushed the door open and shut it after stepping inside. I gave a smile at the two Diamond Dogs in front of me, which they returned. “Welcome home, third.” Silver Claw said to me. The other leader got out of his chair and moved towards me. He outstretched his paw, which had the same odd stone from my dream. “Are you prepared to join us? You are free to do as you wish, but when called upon you must answer.”

I thought for a moment. If I did take this and joined them, I would pretty much live forever and be immune to magic. Then again, what would happen if I found a way home? I wouldn’t be able to leave. So many choices clouded my head, but I came to the conclusion. I took the stone and it changed into the necklace. As I put it around my neck, I felt strange. I put my paws in front of my face to find a blue aura around them. After the aura vanished, that was when it all hit me like a ton of bricks.

The princess leaving the note, the confrontation with Nightmare Moon, Celestia’s return, and then the two alicorns. Now I remembered them. The final confrontation replayed through my head a thousand times, me shoving Shadow out of the way as I took the bullet. I knew the memories I had were fake, and Celestia will have to explain that.

“How do you feel, third?” Silver Claw called to me. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened them, though, they felt much different.

“I feel...Different.” The two leaders gave me a smile once more. “I know Silver Claw, but who are you?”

“Grim Fang. I am the leader of our army. We may have been a peaceful lot, but Celestia has been keeping her own secrets as well. Do you know anything about that?” I thought back to the two alicorns Celestia called forth. Then I thought about the picture in the dream, the foal of the two. Not knowing if this was real or not, I decided to do what I felt was right.

“No, I don’t. Can you tell me more about the necklaces?” The two nodded towards me.

“You cannot take it off, as it is bound. It has infused it’s power within you, making you that much better than the rest.” I nodded while he continued. “Silver Claw is the leader amongst the people. We have waited for you, but there is one problem.” I gave him a questioning look. “She has been given a vision of the future. A terrible future...The feral clans of dogs are going to rise together and try to over take Equestria. We have no idea when, but you need to be prepared for this.”

I took a deep breath before speaking. “Alright, but I will train by myself. I think I know just who to teach me...” I smirked at my thought. “Did it enhance my senses as well?” I got a nod from both. “Can you take me topside? I have someone who is likely waiting for me.”

“Are you sure you can’t stay?” I told them no, at which they seemed sad. I smiled at them.

“Doesn’t mean I won’t be here for my people when they call.” At this they perked up and led me out a secret passage. Likely used for if there was an attack. After a lot of twists and turns, we appeared at the entrance. They walked me out with a feeling of unease. I understood them, as I felt the eyes of something watching us. I was about to walk off when I heard Silver call to me.

“You know this means we are family now. You, Grim and I. Don’t be afraid to ask us for help.” She gave me a smile. I nodded and waved goodbye to the two. Beginning my long walk back, I felt...Different. There was no more struggling to walk on my legs, so I decided to try my run. I ran as smoothly as I walked, so I got on all fours. My new-found speed was amazing, and efficient as I approached my destination.

In the middle of looking around, I heard a sound behind me. Lance, you sly pony. "If y'all are looking for it, it's right there." I decided to humor him by bearing my fangs, at least until I could fully see him.

"Thanks, I almost couldn't find it. How long have you been up there?” I asked, even though I already knew.

"Oh about a half hour or so. I had seen you'd left but you had a good head start on me and I didn't reckon I would have the time to look through the plains for your trail.” He said as he fixed his hat. "So what were y'all doing out there?"

I shrugged at him. "Just going for a little walk. Clearing my thoughts as it were." To be honest, it was true.

"Really? Mind telling me why you were sneaking round here like a snake?" He lifted his hoof up to check if he stepped in something.

"Oh just didn't want you to get worried about me being gone is all. I would think you would have come after me or something." I said to him, already knowing his answer.

"Naw," he said, finding his hoof very interesting, "I reckon you can be out and about on your own without me having to look over you." He then looked up to see me a little angry.

"Ah, I see. Why'd you wait out here then?" I said, finding my emotions easier to control. I made it sound as if I was annoyed.

"I figured I'd wait up here for y'all to get back. I usually get up this early anyway, reminds me of when I was a young colt out west." He said smiling at me. He then looked at my necklace, obviously more than a little curious.

“You can drop the act, Lance. Or should I say Spade?” I walked over to a tree and leaned on it. He looked at me, stunned. “How’s Shadow doing?” I kept going, mockingly. “That’s right. I know it all. The bullet in my chest, which hurts like hell. Yet I know something about you, too..”

“I told you, I don’t know anypony by those names. That’s crazy talk.” When will he give it up? I shook my head. Then I realized what he was getting at.

“There’s two parts. Here is a freebie. I know there are a total of ten of you. The other part I can tell you later.” I was enjoying this, a little too much actually. I decided to let down before he tried to choke the information out of me, as I tried before.

You are still at stage one, third...When at the fourth and final, you will be equal in every aspect of the alicorns...’ The voice came out of no where, making me jump for a second. “By the way, your rifle is hanging out.” I said to try and change the subject. He started fiddling with his rifle, checking if the bullet was in and such.

"You mean this old thing? I've had this for ages. Don't let her sleek furniture fool you, we're old friends." He smiled at his fake accent.

"Old friends..." I said, grinning, "it seems like a lot of 'old friends' have been getting back together these past few days."

He tipped his hat at me. "Aye, that they have. Although I've been with this girl for a while now. While you and I, have seemingly just met." I moved towards him, so we were face to face.

"So what now?" I asked him, playing along with the way he thought of me.

He gave me a smirk. "Nothing changes who you really are kid. Not some injury, not a necklace you happen to find while walking. You're still the same person at heart, and don't let anypony tell you otherwise, ya hear?" I thought over his words. They were true, for the most part. This place did something to me, though. I would have never taken the bullet for Shadow back home, so why did I do it here?

"You know the worst place to get shot kid?" He paused as I snapped back to reality, "It's the stomach. No matter what anypony tells you, that's it. Not only can you not recover from it, you're last few moments will be spent in utter agony as the acids in your stomach hit your other organs." He paused for dramatic effect. "Sure ponies say getting cut say, in the chest hurts more, but none of them have had to deal with slowly dying from the inside." I thought about it and put my paw over my stomach. God, I hate empathy.

"So since we're here all on our lonesome, do you have anything y'all want to ask me before I gather my things and leave?" I looked back at him and let out a sigh. He had leaned against the tree, much like I had.

“Spade...I need to talk to both you and Shadow. It’s about the future, and I don’t mean just between you two. Please, the fate of Ponyville rests on it.” I thought back on what Silver had said. The clans rising together and taking over all of Equestria. Not if I could help it. “I know it’s likely against your orders, but I need to make sure you both know. Plus, I think she wanted to tell me take care in person.” He looked lost in thought, and was starting to shake. Similar to when I asked him about Diamond Dogs. I let out a heavy sigh as he came back to reality.

"I still don't know who this Spade character is. Nor Shadow. What I do know is what the fate of Ponyville rests on." Now I am pissed.

"What?!" He has got to stop lying. "You were there, at the cave! You were even in there with me!" I couldn’t help myself, I let my rage out at him.

"Naw kid”, but now I know the truth about where you went." I finally understood why it was easy for him to stay in character. I gave too much because of my arrogance. "You see, there's a few things you don't know about me, despite the things you claim to know about me." I got an uneasy feeling from him, more so than usual. My fur was literally on end now. "I know about the Diamond Dogs and their uprising. About what the fate of Ponyville is. You see, I saw it all happen."

"But... How did you see?" I stuttered, wondering how he managed to see what I had been told.

"Ah now that I will keep to myself kid." He said with a grin. "As for what I'll do about it, as soon as you stop from keeping me here, I'm off to see the Princess and tell her all I know about the Diamond Dogs," he paused, "and you."

I was about to pounce onto him when I remembered something. I was in control now. I let out a heavy sigh, sending all my anger out with it. “You can tell her, no doubt she will believe you and try to wipe out every Diamond Dog...Even the innocent ones.” I started walking off, feeling nothing but a little sadness. I turned back for a moment and decided to tell him the extra bit.

“Wish you luck with your foal. Hope they take after you.” I said before I turned around, walking towards no where in general. I thought Spade might be able to help me, but there was one detail I forgot about him. His whole life was being lived in secret, so why come out? I was in the middle of walking when he shouted out at me.

"If you ever get back to Sofia, tell her a friendly pegasus pony said hello." I froze, thinking back on what I was going to tell her.

"It WAS you that I saw in my dream. You." I said hissing at him, taking a step towards him, "You," I was shouting now, "How much do you really know about me?" Great, now I am in the lower position. Good job, Zin.

"I know enough. You have problems with your ma and pa. You're in love with your friend Sofia, but unable to tell her. I've also come to the conclusion that the reason you are here," he started getting smug, "Is because the one known as Discord sent you here. Also, that necklace you have has a strange aura around it. Some sort of keeping magic. You can't take it off on your own and it prevents you from leaving Equestria."

"Now if you ever want to rid yourself of it, I know a unicorn or two that could easily break that spell." He said finally. I managed to regain control of myself.

“You know what? What I wanted to tell her is that her mother was killed right in front of me! You don’t even know the half of me. You saw me when we were just little children, and those weren’t even my real parents. You could at least be a little bit grateful that I am not as evil as other humans. Because if I was, would you and Shadow be together?” I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down. “My real parents didn’t want me. Hell, those two didn’t want me either. The other students at my school tortured me to the point I nearly killed all of them. The only way they stopped me was by getting everyone on me, as well as the security. I killed my foster dad when he tried to stab me with a knife. So excuse me for being the slightest bit rude.” My emotions got the better of me as I thought about everything. All the sad, happy, and even bad moments, and I couldn’t help but fall to my knees.

It took all of my strength to keep back the tears, but I had to say this aloud. “I have come to learn that you regret nothing. Dwelling on the past makes you weaker in the future...It doesn’t matter, though. You could care less, I bet...” I just sat there on my knees. “Sometimes... I think it would be better for everyone if I was just dead...”

After a few moments, I felt a hoof on my shoulder. "It's alright kid. It's alright. No matter what life throws at you, you need to keep going. I learned that the hard way, and it seems you have to." I had been wondering why he was suddenly changing his tone. I would need to find out his backstory later.

"The only person who can get you out of this yourself." He said as he unclipped his knife and placed it through one of my paws. "An old friend gave this to me a long time ago. It helped me through some of the hardest points of my life and it seems like you might need it more than me." He closed my fingers around it. "You keep it for now. I want it back, but for now you can keep it. Hold onto it until the situation is grave and when you feel as if all hope is lost."

“So fair it seems that way...You ever heard of the saying ‘out of the frying pan and into the fire’?”

He started helping me to my feet, still gripping the knife in my hands. "Naw' kid. But I get your drift when you say it. What fire are you falling into?"

“The fire of uncertainty. Where I came here, I thought things would be different. Fresh start and everything. The only difference between here and Earth is I don’t have my pistol.” I gave my lopsided dog smile. “Was the best shot, too.” I let out a chuckle at the thought. “There is only one issue to deal with now.” My voice getting serious all of a sudden.

Spade looked over at me, confused. “The uniting of the clans. It is what the Diamond Dogs told me...Here is a small fact I think you might find interesting, though. The two you saw me with, and don’t lie, have lived for over one thousand years. I am supposed to train to stop it, but I lack a trainer.” I gave no indication that I meant him, knowing that he most likely had other things running through his mind.

“You sure?” I gave him a nod. He still looked like he didn’t believe me, and ignored the fact I needed training.

“When you noticed me leave, right before that I had been visited in my sleep by them. I went through a...Tough trial...I’ll leave the details for later, but now back to the task at hand. I think I would like to accompany you to Celestia. I have unfinished business with her.” Either way, I was going to see her. He couldn’t change that. He must have noticed this too, because he just shrugged.

“If that’s what ya want.” I nodded once more.

“She needs to get this bullet out of my chest, or else I won’t be able to help stop the dogs advances. How do we get there?” He gave me his smile and flew into the air. I was beginning the think he was going to leave me behind when he circled around. He swooped down and yanked me up, flying straight for Canterlot. Time to inform he majesty that this dog is still kicking.