• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 5,363 Views, 186 Comments

The Dawn of a bright, new life. - Hallowedsoul



Two heart-broken souls are brought together in Equestria.

  • ...
19
 186
 5,363

Ch. 2: "The Shop of Dreams"

>: Recovery Complete, Displaying Now


Chapter Two
“The Shop of Dreams”


My head swam and I floated in darkness, or at least that’s what I perceived I was doing, I wasn’t really sure because I was so out of it. Eventually I became aware that I was holding something, gripping it even, like it was the only thing that could keep me from floating away completely.

But I also heard a voice, echoing faintly in the darkness, calling out to someone. I heard it saying my name and even in my haze I felt an overwhelming desire to go to it. It sounded so sad, so desperate and I wanted so badly to provide it with comfort. To hold the owner of the voice in my arms and promise it that everything would be alright. But as I felt myself begin to drift away towards the voice, I felt whatever I had a hold of suddenly tighten its own grip on my hand, followed by a new voice, one that was incredibly familiar yet beyond my ability to remember in this fugue state.

"Please don't go... I don't want to be alone again... please, please don't leave me alone again... you promised you wouldn't..." It begged me and I felt myself being pulled back. My jumbled thoughts turned back to the other voice; something in my heart was screaming at me to go to it but the familiar voice spoke to me again, pleading "You promised..."

I am many things in this life, but most importantly I was a man of my word; if I made someone a promise, I was sure as hell going to keep it. Once I had that thought anchored in place, the rest of my mind began to follow suit; my scattered memories and disjointed thoughts each falling neatly back into place one at a time.

I don't know how long I floated there, watching my memories solidify and become a part of me again. All of them appeared to me from the most mundane, to the most important... to the ones that hurt me the most. Then my most recent appeared, starting from when I was about to leave my house to go wherever, to me waking up in the strange hotel and finally to finding...

“TERRA!” I yelled, sitting up and looking quickly around until I saw Terra sleeping soundly in the bed we shared.

Panicking, I check my body and discover that the only missing articles were my hat, messenger bag and shoes, along with my pocket items. It’s when I come to the conclusion that nothing had happened that I calmed down and got a good look at the room we were in, which once again was not mine.

It looked oriental, with a gossamer curtain surrounding the bed we were laying in, which was a Japanese futon. Despite my best efforts, I couldn’t tell where the door was because it looked exactly like the walls, with an exotic pattern of some sort.

I give up and become aware that my hand was still gripping something tightly and when I hold it up, I see I’m firmly holding onto Terra’s hand. I lighten my grip, but don’t let go and use my free hand to check on the girl. She was sleeping soundly and did not appear to be harmed, which made me exhale the breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding.

“She’s going to be just fine. You needn’t worry about her, Leon.”

I spun my body in such a way that I didn’t release Terra’s hand, but placed myself between her and whoever spoke, which turned out to be an extremely beautiful woman dressed in a regal oriental gown with a butterfly motif. There was something weirdly familiar about her but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t remember where I’d seen her before. I eventually gave up and glared at her fiercely.

“Where are we, who are you and what do you want?” I asked flatly.

“You’re in my shop and I don’t want anything from you. You’re merely passing through on the way to your true destination.” She replied demurely, her expression that of slight amusement.

“Okay…” I said warily “But you didn’t tell me who you are.”

Her expression fell and she stared at me.

“Hmm, I don’t think it will matter.” She said with a sigh “You are not part of this world and as soon as the two of you leave, you’ll forget all about this place.”

Her face became amused again “But I suppose I’ll humor you. You may call me ‘Yuko’.”

Extreme vertigo overtook me as I was hit with massive déjà vu and I grabbed at my spinning head, groaning. I felt a pair of cool, delicate hands touch my head lightly and the sense of vertigo faded slightly.

“Do not think about it, you’ll only shatter your mind.” Yuko’s voice murmured softly “Focus on the girl, focus on the here and now.”

I didn’t understand what she was talking about but then I realized my left hand was still gripping Terra’s. I focused on Terra, on what I knew about her and her world and where I found her. Eventually my head stopped swimming and I took several deep breaths.

“What…” I gasped, looking at Yuko “Was that, just now?”

The woman’s face was serious as her eyes bored into mine.

“You were swallowed by the Void between worlds, but because of your instinctive desire to protect Terra…” She said, gesturing towards the sleeping girl next to me “You were brought to my shop in a desperate attempt to escape, though it was not without a price.”

I considered her words for a moment. I was pretty knowledgeable (as far as knowledge goes concerning pan-dimensional events and locations) regarding time, space and reality. I knew that I didn’t have anything worth bargaining with in my wallet, just a handful of worthless money, which meant the only thing that I could’ve bartered with were things that had special importance to me.

My heart skipped a beat and I shot a glance at Yuko, who held up my iPod with an amused smile on her face before handing it to me. I breathed a sigh of relief as I replaced it in my pocket, but then I frowned and looked back at her.

“What did I give up in exchange for a safe haven?” I asked her, but she shook her head morosely.

“I cannot tell you, though I’m certain you already know.” She said, giving me a knowing smile “After all, how do you think you knew to come here?”

I considered her words carefully before it all clicked.

“I knew of your shop before I came here, which means…” I looked at her confused “You took my memories of this place? But how?”

She giggled “I wouldn't say I 'took' them; you can't take someone else's memories. I merely took your ability to remember.”

"How does that work?" I asked her, to which she smiled demurely at me.

"Memories are like links in a chain; when one proves hard to find, you start with a link further back and follow it until you find the one you need. That is how you remember." She replied and shrugged "I've made it to where this particular chain of memories can't be remembered."

I decided to stop asking questions because my head was starting to hurt, not like before, just from the… absurdity, of it all. Besides, I could feel Terra stirring next to me.

I turned my attention to the girl as she opened her eyes and pulled my hand closer to her, before she remembered what had happened and sat straight up, alarmed.

“Whoa, easy there, sweetheart. We’re safe for now.” I said, gently placing my free hand on her shoulder. She wrapped me in a fierce hug immediately.

"You're still here... you didn't leave me..." She whispered and I felt a pang in my heart "Thank you."

I smiled and patted the top of her head.

“I told you I wasn’t gonna leave you alone there, and I keep my promises.” I replied quietly.

She gave me one last squeeze before breaking the embrace and looking around, when her eyes settled on Yuko.

“Oh my…” She said with a slight gasp “You’re so beautiful…”

Yuko giggled “Why, thank you, dear. Just for that…” She reached behind her and pulled out a doll, which I immediately identified as a moogle “You can have this. It shall keep you company whenever you are alone.”

Terra gave out a squeal and clapped her hands “It’s so cute!” she said as she took the doll and crushed it in a hug.

I thought it was the single most adorable moment in my entire life, watching the girl’s reaction to receiving that doll. She looked so happy.

I gave Terra a warm smile, but turned my attention back to Yuko with business in mind.

“Okay, Yuko.” I said, determined “Where’s my stuff and where are we going?”

“Oh, and I was hoping we could chat a little longer before you had to leave.” She said wistfully, though that amused smile was still on her face “But alas, I suppose you have no further reason to stay, do you? Very well, meet me in the hall when you’re ready.”

She stood up and glided over to the opening in the wall, disappearing around the edge. I moved my feet from under the covers and stood as well, turning to Terra and offering my hand, which she took without hesitation and I helped her to her feet.

“Are you gonna be alright, Terra?” I asked and she nodded.

“I’m fine, Leon.” She said, giving me a sweet smile, which turned to a frown “By the way, weren’t you going to tell me how you knew who I was?”

I opened my mouth to respond, but something told me this was not the time or place to tell secrets.

“Not right now, Terra. I don’t feel comfortable sharing information in this place.” I said, but gave her a warm smile “Maybe when we get to wherever we’re heading, I’ll tell you. Just be sure to remind me, okay?”

She smiled back and nodded. I squeezed her hand lightly and led her out into the hallway, where Yuko was waiting for us just to the right. She nodded and turned away, gliding across the floor with us following close behind. I held on to Terra’s hand because I still felt I’d lose her if I didn’t make sure she was still there.

Eventually, we reached what I assumed to be the front door to the “shop”. I assumed, because my stuff hung from a rack next to a pair sliding doors and our shoes were arranged neatly on the stone floor in front of them. As Terra and I sat on the wood to put our footwear back on, I noticed the extra pair of tennis shoes that I was fairly certain didn’t belong to Yuko.

“Hey, Yuko.” I asked, looking up at the shop owner, who smiled demurely back at me “Who else is here with you and why haven’t we seen them yet? You obviously don’t live here alone.”

“That will cost you, though I fail to see why it matters. You will only forget about them once you set foot outside of those doors.” She replied, gesturing a delicate hand towards said doors. I pondered it for a moment before shrugging and finished putting on my shoes. Terra was already standing, all she had to do was slip on her boots and she was done whereas I had to untie my shoes, put them on and then retie them.

“Well…” I said as I place the rest of my belongings where they go (my pocket items, save for the iPod, were currently residing in my bag, I’ll deal with that later) “Thank you for your hospitality, Yuko. I’m certain we have been a burden, but we truly appreciate it.” I bowed deeply and Terra followed suit after watching me.

“Oh, it was no trouble at all. I’ve had worse people crash into my shop before.” She said with a giggle, but then her eyes lit up “Oh, that reminds me. Since you have a bag handy, I’d like you to deliver this letter for me when you reach your destination.”

She handed me an envelope, and I placed it in my messenger bag next to the Charmander doll.

“Sure thing, Yuko.” I turn toward the door and take a deep breath, before I remember something.

“Wait, is there any way you can send Terra back to her own world?” I ask Yuko, though she shakes her head sadly.

“I am afraid not, Leon. It does not work that way.” She replied “You have claimed responsibility for the girl; it will be up to you to make sure she returns to her home.”

I frowned at her “’Claimed responsibility’? What does that mean?”

“You took her hand in the Void and did not let go.” Yuko replied sternly “Whatever happens to her now shall be your burden to bear.”

I looked at Terra, who was looking at me worriedly. I nodded resolutely.

“I promise I’ll help you get home, Terra, even if I have to devote my life to do so.” I told her resolutely and she nodded and smiled back at me.

“I trust you, Leon.”

We turned toward the sliding doors and I took her hand in mine once more. The doors opened revealing a solid wall of white. I took a deep breath and the two of us walked forward and I was blinded by an immense light.

Author's Note:

There it is, sorry for the wait.

Enjoy!

P.S. cupcakes to whoever can guess where this unique place is they went to.
EDIT: Sorry this took so long, but congratulations to kitsunehunter for guessing correctly! This chapter takes place in Yuko's shop from xxxholic, it's a great manga series, so go out and read it. Now.