• Published 25th Jun 2013
  • 5,360 Views, 186 Comments

The Dawn of a bright, new life. - Hallowedsoul



Two heart-broken souls are brought together in Equestria.

  • ...
19
 186
 5,360

Ch. 1: "Awakening"

Chapter one
“Awakening”


As my senses returned, I couldn't help but wonder what had happened. I groaned and rubbed at my eyes before sitting up, then I realized I had awoken in a room that wasn't mine.

"Wha...?" I said as I looked carefully around.

It appeared that I was in some kind of hotel room. The décor was a little dated, looking like something a grandmother would keep around her house. It reminded me of a Stephen King novel somewhat and I felt slightly nervous as I slid out of bed and walked towards the television opposite the bed. I clicked it on and tried changing the channel, but all it ever showed was static. Sighing, I clicked it off and looked around again.

Oh. Before I continue, I should introduce myself. My name is Leon, I am tall (just over six feet without shoes), I have brown hair and brown eyes and I'm in my mid-twenties. Anyway, I regarded my current situation calmly, which is more than what most anyone else would do. Anyone else would have gone nuts with fear already. I, however, decided to check my person.

I was wearing my favorite pair of carpenter jeans with a simple reversible belt, a light fleece hoodie, underneath which was one of my favorite t-shirts that depicted Vinyl Scratch on the front… I’ll get to that soon, but must continue with diagnostics… on my feet were a pair of white socks and special shoes designed for people who spend extended periods of time on said feet, which I tend to do quite often, and decided that my hair was still a rich brown color. Once I decided that I was more-or-less the same guy I was when I’d fallen asleep, I checked my pants pockets and pulled out my basic travel gear.

1. Wallet with a five, two ones and about four freakin’ dollars worth of change, dammit: Check.

2. Smartphone, fully charged: Check (Switch off Wi-Fi and Background Data for longevity: Check)

3. Orange iPod Nano fully charged with attached earbuds: Check (Thank God, if I’m gonna be stuck in some Baroque Nightmare, at least I’ve got my music.)

4. Key Chain Belt Clip, with keys attached: Check

There was a second key attached to my chain and it didn't look like mine. It was archaic, like something from a medieval fantasy. I knew for a fact that I only ever had my house key attached. I had no idea where the second one came from.

I stared at it a moment longer before I shrugged and clipped the key chain to the belt loop above my front left pocket.

Might be useful later.’ I reasoned with myself.

I looked around the room once more (it hasn't changed since the first two times I looked) and saw, hanging from a post in the corner next to the door, my hat and messenger bag and walked over to them.

My hat was a black, wide-brimmed thing that looked like something a wealthy outlaw would wear while sitting at a card table in a sleazy saloon. I left it on the post for now but pulled my bag off its hook and slung it over my shoulder.

My bag was a well-made messenger bag made from a very tough material sort of like the denim on my pants, but thicker. It had a softer lining, but it was still a very sturdy bag that has been with me through the years. I opened the main flap and looked inside.

Inside, staring back at me, was my Charmander doll (yes, I have one of those. Got it as a kid, though I’m still a big fan of the Pokemon series). I wondered what the hell that thing was doing in there because I certainly didn’t pack it, before shrugging and feeling around inside for the item I always had inside my bag, which was a Berretta 92FS. I pulled it out with a spare clip and smiled at its beautiful black finish.

I checked to make sure the safety was on before pulling the empty clip out and slid the full one in. I didn’t feed a bullet into the chamber because there was already one in it (I always keep one in the chamber in case of emergencies, because you never know).

Satisfied that I was moderately prepared for whatever crap I was gonna find once I opened that door, I removed my hat off the post with a flourish and plopped it down on my head, then felt back around in my bag for a tiny LED flashlight I kept on hand and reached tentatively for the door knob, raising my right hand which had my pistol in it to be ready to aim out the door. I gripped the knob, took a deep breath and flung it open, clicking my flashlight on and sweeping the next room.

It was a hallway, like in a hotel, dimly lit. Since nothing leapt out immediately to eat my face, I advanced slowly into the hall, sweeping my gun both directions as I crossed the threshold. It was empty, so I lowered my weapon and looked down both ways. To my left, the hallway ended so no going that way. To my right, I saw a glowing green EXIT sign so I began to walk slowly and quietly towards it.

I was about halfway there when a floorboard creaked and I heard a terrified voice come from the door on my right that I was passing (like I said, a hotel, which means multiple doors).

“H-hello?” It quavered “I-is someone there? Please don’t leave me; I don’t want to be alone anymore…”

I was split on this front. The voice sounded like it came from a young girl and it was obviously scared. On one hand, I’ve read all kinds of horror stories and knew that sometimes such voices were actually traps designed to try and kill the hero. But on the other, I couldn’t just walk away in good conscience knowing I left someone innocent to a terrible fate (jeez, no wonder the hero falls for it).

I groaned inwardly, cursing my chivalry, and turned to the door. Just like with the last one, I opened it slowly and swept my light and gun around, both of which settled on a girl sitting in the corner, who held her arms up in front of her.

“No, please don’t hurt me!” She screamed, curling up in a ball in the corner, terrified sobs coming from her.

I slid my pistol into my belt and went over to her, lowering the beam of my flashlight towards the ground. I knelt down next to her and gently put my hand on her shoulder, which she flinched away from with a terrified squeak.

“Easy, honey, easy. It’s alright; I’m not going to hurt you.” I whispered soothingly as I put my hand gently back on her shoulder. I felt her trembling violently in fear.

She slowly uncovered her head from behind her arms and looked at me in terror, her beautiful purple eyes puffy and red from crying. She stared at me for a moment before latching onto me in a death hug. I was stunned for a second before I wrapped my arms around her protectively while she sobbed into my chest.

“Shh, you’re okay, sweetheart.” I whispered soothingly again “You’re safe now, I’m not going to let anything bad happen to you.”

“I’m scared.” She said, not lifting her head away from my chest “I thought… I thought I was the only one here. I don’t want to be alone in this place!”

My heart was breaking for this girl; she looked and sounded like she wasn’t much older than maybe sixteen or seventeen and for her to be left alone in this dark and creepy place was nothing short of a crime against nature. I moved my left hand to the top of her head and stroked her curly blonde hair gently.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart, I’m not gonna leave you behind.” I said, putting as much confidence as I could into those words.

She continued crying for a minute longer before she broke the embrace and sat back against the wall. It’s at this moment I get a really good look at her outside of my “D.I.D. Vision”, and my jaw dropped. I thought she’d looked familiar when I’d seen her face before she hugged me, but now that I actually saw her, I recognized her instantly as my favorite character from one of my favorite games.

She wore a sleeveless red dress with a floral pattern, long red gloves that left her hands bare, several sashes of various colors around her waist and a long pale pink cape. Her legs were covered in patterned white tights and on her feet were a pair of red boots.

“Thank you.” She said, giving me a sweet smile “I feel much better now.” I tipped my hat and gave her a winning smile.

“It’s no problem, sweetheart. I also feel better knowing I’m not the only poor soul stuck in this creepy place.” I said, and then extended my hand “Howdy, the name’s Leon, what’s yours?”

“Oh. My name is Terra. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She said, taking my hand and shaking it lightly.

“Figured as much.” I said, still smiling, though she looked at me with confusion.

“You… already knew?” She asked, suddenly wary of me.

“In a way, but that’s a story for later.” I said, rising to my feet and extending my hand to her. She glanced at it, then to me with a cautious expression on her face. I sighed “Look, Terra. I will explain later, but right now I think we should look for a way out of this place. I promise I won’t hurt you or let anything else hurt you either.”

She looked at me warily again, before nodding and taking my hand. I helped her to her feet (she was almost a full head shorter than me, but then again most people were, considering how tall I was) and asked my next question.

“So, Terra. Do you have a weapon with you?”

She shook her head and I sighed, moving her hand to my off-hand (you know, the one I won’t have to shoot with) and giving her the flashlight while demonstrating how to turn it on. She was a bit surprised by it, but otherwise clutched it like a one would a life raft.

“Okay, stay close to me and don’t let go of my hand. I don’t want us getting separated around here because I don’t know if I’ll be able to find you again.” I said, though when I finished she grabbed my arm with her other hand and moved closer, her eyes surging with fear.

I nodded and pulled my gun out from where I’d stashed it. Terra gave it a curious glance, but wisely decided she could ask about it later when we weren’t in danger. I aimed my pistol at the door and swept it down the hallway again, though there was still nothing. I told Terra to keep an eye out behind us while we advanced towards the exit.

Once we reached the door at the end of the hall, I glanced back at Terra, who was still glued to my side.

“Ready, Terra?” I asked as I placed my hand on the metal bar of the door. The girl nodded and I took a deep breath before pushing down on the bar.

Immediately as I did, the door flew open and a black cloud surged out and swallowed us both before we even had a chance to cry out.

Author's Note:

Alright, here's the Prologue and Chapter 1. Chapter two will be up once I tweak it a little, which might take a little while so bear with me, please.

Also, one of my biggest problems with this story was thinking of an appropriate name, which was an absolute pain.

Enjoy!

And I apologize again if things seem a little... wordy; I'm not great at descriptions.