• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 599 Views, 0 Comments

For Old Times' Sake - fic Write Off



Writefriends from all over /fic/ gathered in a war of words on Jun 23 2013. These are the resulting stories.

  • ...
1
 0
 599

Worth It.

It’s a hot day and I hate my cat.

I have been sprawled out on the floor for the past half hour, that’s how hot it is. The whole time I’ve been glaring at Opal as she sat in front of the fan—the only fan. The smug look she’s giving me makes me boil inside. I won’t try fighting her, though, not with Rarity working nearby.

I want to be out with the crusaders. I want to be out adventuring, exploring, drinking lemonade in the clubhouse over at Apple Bloom’s with her and Scootaloo. Instead, Apple Bloom is spending the day with her sister, and coincidentally, so am I. Except whereas Apple Bloom and her sister are probably doing fun things together, I’m stuck watching my sister work.

And watching that fat cat, hogging all the cool air. I hated everything about that cat, from its too-fluffed fur to its stupid purple bow sitting on its stupid ugly head. I remember when Rarity first brought it home. She let me hold it, and it clawed legs and made me cry.

Rarity glances at the clock and sighs. “Sweetie Belle,” she said. “I’m sorry, but I’m terribly busy. Do you think you could go be a sweetheart and water my petunias?”

I groan, getting up. I stomp my way to the door, to make sure my displeasure is known. Hot as it is inside, it’s even hotter out there. On my way to the door I glance back at Opalescence. The haughty, puffed-up pile of fur is smirking at me, and it takes all my will to not walk back over there and kick it in the head. I slam the door shut behind me.

As I turn the water on and place the hose between my teeth, I think about how unfair life is.

I wet the petunias, the water sprinkling from the multi-headed attachment on the hose’s nozzle. The hose tastes like dirt. Beads of sweat trickle down the sides of my face, and staring at the hose, I decide to point it up in the air, letting the water rain down and cool me off.

But then, as I shower myself with the hose while staring at its multi-headed attachment, I acquire an awful, wonderful idea.

Dripping wet, I sneak up to one of my house’s windows. Opal is napping in front of the fan, completely unaware of the scheme I’m in the process of hatching.

I dutifully water the rest of the petunias, before creeping up to the boutique’s door. Peering in through a nearby window, I take note of where my target is. I switch the valve on the nozzle off, and then change its setting it to ‘jet’ . Anticipation wells up in my chest as I crouch in front of the door.

I burst inside.

Opal jumps, and Rarity turns to look at me. “Sweetie, what—”

With a grin, I point the hose at Opal and flip the valve on. During a split second, as the built up pressure releases with a hiss, Opal’s eyes grow wide with fear.

“MROWR!” Opal screeches, the jet of water blasting her directly in the side and sending her tumbling across the carpet, frantically clawing the air, looking for a hold in the carpet. Once she gets it, she gives me the most horrified look, and then sprints off into another room, leaving a wet trail across the carpet.

“Sweetie Belle! What on earth are you doing?!”

I flinch, standing there, dripping water on the carpet. “Umm...” There isn’t really any reasonable explanation for my actions. “I dunno,” I say innocently with a shrug.

Rarity seethed. I still can’t wipe the grin off my face, which probably doesn’t help me at all. As Rarity chastises me for mistreating Opal and getting water all over the carpet, I nod my head at the appropriate times. All the while, I can’t help but think that today turned out to be a pretty good day.