• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 600 Views, 0 Comments

For Old Times' Sake - fic Write Off



Writefriends from all over /fic/ gathered in a war of words on Jun 23 2013. These are the resulting stories.

  • ...
1
 0
 600

Over Milkshakes

Sugar Cube Corner had hardly changed. True, the rugs were a bit more threadbare and the lacquer on the tables was beginning to wear, but it still retained the same delightful atmosphere it always had. Or maybe that was just the aromas emanating from the kitchen.

Whatever it was, the pale, curly-maned mare stepping through the shop’s front door couldn’t help but salivate. However long it had been, the Cakes obviously hadn’t lost their baker’s touch.

“Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner!” A perky unicorn filly called from behind the counter. “What can I do for you?”

The mare smiled, making a show of examining the menu. “Let’s see… How about a milkshake?”

“Sure!” The filly’s fiery mane lit up along with her grin. “What flavor?”

“Vanilla, please.”

“You got it! One ‘Old-Fashioned’ coming right up!”

“Actually, why don’t you add a bit of ginger, with some lemon zest and extra cream?”

The filly halted her gathering of ingredients, her blue eyes narrowing in confusion. “Huh?”

“A bit of ginger, some lemon zest, and extra cream, please.”

This time, the filly’s eyes went wide in recognition. “Sweetie Belle?”

The mare giggle squeakily. “Good to see you too, Pumpkin.”

“Oh my gosh!” She leapt into the air. “I didn’t even recognize you! What brings you back to Ponyville?”

A flash of something flickered across Sweetie Belle’s face before she grinned wider. “Well, you know, my tours take me all sorts of places. I figured it couldn’t hurt to drop in.”

“I’m glad you did! It’s been completely boring here since the lunch rush. Anyway, I’ll have your milkshake right up!”

With an exchange of thanks and a flurry of milk, ice cream, and spices, Pumpkin Cake leapt to her task, leaving Sweetie Belle alone for the moment.

Alone, save for her thoughts. The rugs were more threadbare, and the lacquer was wearing, but Sugar Cube Corner was still the same merry place it always had been. For some reason, that made her feel melancholy.

The door opened behind her, its characteristic bell chiming straight through her scattered thoughts. In walked a pair of ponies, both talking loudly.

“Ah told ya, there’s no way somethin’ like that would fly!”

“I’m not talking about using an entire tree, just some branches for the frame!”

“And I’m tellin’ you, even if you used paper for the wings, it’d still be too heavy to get off the ground.”

“Nah, you’d just need to get it going fast enough. Use some horsepower!”

“And do ya really think that…”

Their conversation cut off abruptly upon noticing Sweetie Belle. It is, after all, difficult to speak with one’s jaw on the floor. She broke the silence with a tentative smile and greeting.

“Hey, Apple Bloom. Scootaloo.”

“Sweetie Belle!” The two ponies cried in stereo.


After an exchange of joyous hugging, plus the ordering of two additional milkshakes, the trio took to a table and did what any old friends will upon being reunited: they began chatting to no end.

“So, how’s Manehatten been treatin’ ya?” Apple Bloom said in between slurps of her strawberry beverage.

Sweetie Belle looked away. “It’s been… good.”

“You’ve been making lots of bits in show business?” Scootaloo asked with a glint in her eye.

“I’ve…” Sweetie Belle sighed heavily. “Well, to tell the truth, girls, I’ve… been having trouble.”

Concern knit Apple Bloom’s brow. “What do you mean, trouble?”

“Yeah, your last letter said you’d gotten a nice new gig!”

Sweetie Belle bit her lip turning away. “I… thought I did. But, they gave the part to somepony else.”

A long silence hung between them before Apple Bloom spoke.

“Well, so what?”

Sweetie Belle looked up.

“Yeah,” Scootaloo said, “You just need to recharge, then you can get right back on track.”

“I’m not sure it’s that simple.”

“That’s why ya have us! So we can tell you you’re wrong!”

“Trust us, Sweetie, take a few days off from everything and you’ll be right back in the swing of things.”

Sweetie Belle sat back, looking between the two of them. Maybe a few days with her old friends was exactly what she needed.

“You know, I just realized we never said a toast.”

“You’re right.” Apple Bloom said. “What should we say?”

“How about, just for old times’ sake…” Sweetie Belle grinned.

Smiles spread over her friends’ faces. Without rehearsal, and in perfect unison, the trio raised their glasses and cheered.

“Cutie Mark Crusader Best Friends Forever!”