• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 4,874 Views, 174 Comments

Apple Bloom's Huragok Helper - Vigilance



After crashing in Equestria, a lone Covenant Huragok is found by none other than Apple Bloom.

  • ...
3
 174
 4,874

Huragok Home Improvement

The three fillies know as the Cutie Mark Crusaders shuffled down the main road of Ponyville, a little worse for wear than the day’s beginning. Apple Bloom groaned as she walked, not particularly sure what hurt the most. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were no better off, and Scootaloo even had a very brazen bruise atop the crown of her head. The little Earth pony was the first to speak.

“Well… So much for bein’ Cutie Mark Crusader Quill and Sofa Shop Employees…” She managed out before her jaw became sore again.

“I just don’t know how we were able to mess that one up!” Sweetie Belle chided to herself mostly.

“I’d think it probably started going downhill when we read the employee manual and got the rooster got stuck in the fan…” Scootaloo pointed out.

“Really? I thought it was when the bull went through the front window.” Sweetie Belle countered.

Apple Bloom sighed. “What matters is that we know our Cutie Marks ain’t in bein’ store attendants…”

“At least for that store.” Sweetie Belle offered up.

Scootaloo’s spirits lifted instantly and she gave a hearty smile to her friends. “That’s true! So we aren’t Quill and Sofa Shop Employees, but there are dozens of other shops we can do!”

Sweetie Belle yawned. “Yeah, but not today, it’s getting kinda late.”

The trio looked up into the sky and realized just how much their Cutie Mark chasing had chewed up the day since the end of school. Nodding to each other, each made their way back to their respective homes. Apple Bloom waved goodbye to Scootaloo as they passed by the orange filly’s house. The filly made sure to wish Scootaloo good luck with explaining the bruise to her mother, to which Scootaloo brushed off confidently. The loud gasp and subsequent shouting that came from the home soon after made Apple Bloom chuckle.

The olive colored filly hastened her pace back to her own abode. Traveling down the familiar dirt path towards Sweet Apple Acres, Apple Bloom could see the light from her home off in the distance. Instead of continuing to the Apple family farmhouse however, the filly made a sharp turn into the apple orchards surrounding the farm. Weaving and dodging this way and that, the filly made for the Cutie Mark Crusaders’ Clubhouse. The tiny wooden structure still looked as plain as it had when she had gone last night, but the filly knew that inside was something strange and wondrous.

Trotting up the gangplank and to the front door, Apple Bloom reached for the door handle… “What the?” Apple Bloom cocked an eyebrow as she looked for the door handle, but try as she may she couldn’t find hide nor hair of it. It was gone, and in its place was a small hole no larger than the filly’s hoof.

Apple Bloom frowned. “What in tarnation?” The filly began pounding at the door, trying to make it budge. She tried to pry the barrier open, but one tug was all it took for the filly to feel just how much the door now weighed. “Sweet Celestia, is this thing filled with rocks?!”

Trying once more and failing, Apple Bloom looked down at the small, hoof shaped hole. Curiosity getting the better of her, the filly took her hoof and placed it inside the little hole. Her hoof sank a few inches in and finally hit what felt like stone. Pressing up against it, Apple Bloom gasped slightly. The filly’s hoof fit the back wall of the hole perfectly; she could feel every contour and gap in her hoof touching stone, as if it had been made especially for her.

Nudging her hoof around, Apple Bloom felt the hole twist to the right. Tilting her head in confusion, the filly turned her hoof to the right and felt the hole move as well. One ninety-degree turn later, and a loud click was heard. Pushing her hoof to the left, Apple Bloom effortlessly pushed the door aside and opened the full way for herself. The filly looked on wide-eyed, that door had weighed a ton not three seconds ago! At the time, she thought not even Big Mac could have moved it.

Apple Bloom took her gaze from the door and looked inside her simple clubhouse, or what had once been her simple clubhouse. “What in the name of Cutie Marks…”

Apple Bloom had last seen her clubhouse about a day ago, when she had sheltered the little flying balloon creature. Then it had been like any other little filly’s clubhouse, full of small wooden furniture, silly drawings, child possessions and the like. It was all very plain and rustic looking, something to be expected of the Apple family. Now her clubhouse looked… streamline. The furniture was no more taller than it had been, and certainly no less plainer looking, but it seemed much more regal and beautiful. It appeared to Apple Bloom a room one would find in the castle of a modest ruler, one who could easily line their entire palace with gold but instead choose a plainer look.

The possessions she and the other Crusaders had collected were all put away neatly in three separate cubbyholes and their pictures and paintings aligned the walls in strange, overly large protective cases. Even Scootaloo’s shrine to Rainbow Dash (though she’d never call it that) in the right hand corner was all fixed up; it looked like a pedestal you’d find in a real religious temple. And right in the middle of all of it, fiddling with its boxy device, was the floating creature.

Apple Bloom felt her mouth gaping a little. “What… What in tarnation is goin’ on in here?”

The Huragok took its gaze away from its work, noticing that the little hoofed creature had returned. Logging that fact into its head, the Huragok went back to its device. It had no time to mingle; there were repairs to be done! Still, it did feel some Huragok pride at the repairs it had done with such low-tech resources. The clubhouse was now not only up to Forerunner visual standards, but also durability regulations too. Celestia herself would have to forcibly use her magic to shove a jackhammer through the roof in order to break in, but she was much too regal for that kind of action.

Despite the visual and strength of the clubhouse, the Huragok had included very useful additions. The roof and walls were now well insulated to keep heat in the winter and cool in the summer (now it just need an energy source for the air conditioner…). The walls also kept all sound in, but a pony could hear everything outside like it was right next to them (the Huragok was a little peeved it couldn’t make the walls into two way mirrors though). The picture frames on the wall had a magnification feature up to one hundred times and could even be used as a primitive copier machine with the right materials. The shrine to the rainbow haired creature could retract into the ground in case more space was needed (or in case the featured pony came knocking). The chairs and table could be folded into beds or other necessary furniture and it had found an old bucket that it turned into a primitive liquid dispenser, with different flavored liquids as well! Huragoks didn’t feel many emotions other than the desire to fix things, but this one had whistled happily at its improvements. Still, the moment it found a slipspace drive then things would really get off the ground!

That was for another day, however, and the creature went back to fiddling with its boxy device, oblivious to the gaping maw of the filly Apple Bloom. The young farmer pony threw off her shock and stepped into the clubhouse. It looked so nice and refined, but still extremely plain. Apple Bloom looked around and inspected everything, her possessions and the like. Everything seemed normal, but the filly expected that that was only so because the creature had not gotten to them yet.

Apple Bloom shifted to the creature and watched it fiddle with its box. “How did ya do this?” She asked. She knew perfectly well that the creature had done all this, who else could have? The question was how had this little gasbag done it?

The Huragok looked up at the filly, eyes unblinking. Apple Bloom swore it made a shrugging motion before returning to work. The Apple filly huffed out and furrowed her eyebrows. “Um, hello? Can ya here me?” The creature did not heed her. The filly rolled her eyes. “What are ya doin’ Apple Bloom?” She asked under her breath. “Ya don’t even know if this thing even understands Equestrian…”

The filly bit her lip. She could guess that it did know something; otherwise it wouldn’t have understood to follow her to the clubhouse. With that in mind, it was probably just giving her the silent treatment. The filly surmised that if she was friendly to the creature and got it to trust her, then it would be willing to talk. But how to get it to trust her? She needed something she could do or give it to show that she was trustworthy… but what? The filly patted her chin lightly with her hoof…

“THAT’S IT!” She shouted, startling the creature a little. Apple Bloom ran up to the Huragok and smiled to it, getting its attention. “Hey, want somethin’ ta eat?” The Huragok tilted its head. “Food?”

Food… that was a Human word for edible material consumed to provide the body with the needed proteins and sugars a living organism required to survive. Huragoks mostly just ate a yeasty protein mixture that was fairly easy to come by; depending on what planet you were on. Still, the Huragok could always use some nourishment to help keep it going with repairs. The Huragok simply nodded at Apple Bloom.

The filly smiled happily. “Good! Then Ah’ll go and get some for ya!” Apple Bloom turned to leave. “Now don’t cha go anywhere, ok? Ah’ll be back in a jiffy with yer food.” With that, the filly took off like a rocket. Making sure to shut the clubhouse door behind her, Apple Bloom raced to the farmhouse with the intent to get food for her new friend. She had no clue what it ate, but it couldn’t be that hard to figure it now could it? Granny Smith had told her that the way to a stallion’s heart was through his stomach. She wasn’t dealing with a stallion, but everyone likes food so the principal is probably the same regardless of gender… or species… and this in this case, planet.

The Huragok watched Apple Bloom go with mild interest. The prospect of nourishment was nice and it was certainly very kind of the filly to go and get it something to… WAIT! The Huragok’s head perked in inspiration as it put its box project down and floated towards the walls. It just figured out a way to make all the surfaces in the clubhouse dust resistant using candlewicks! This was not an idea to let fall under the rug, it had to begin immediately so it could have the improvement complete before the filly returned. It still really wished it had a slipspace drive… it would make all of this so very easy.

~~~~

Apple Bloom looked through her cupboard, checking on all the things the family had to eat. While true that the Apples usually only ate at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, there was never anything wrong with a snack every now and again. The filly squinted her eyes at the inside of the cupboard. Unsurprisingly, most of the food was apple based. Apple Bloom couldn’t place it but she just knew deep down that the creature wasn’t a fan of apples. The pony really wished she had asked the floating beast what it liked.

“Hey there Apple Bloom,” Applejack began as she poked her head in from the kitchen. “Don’t be stuffin’ yer face now, dinner’s in a couple of minutes.”

“Uh-huh.” The filly responded dully, not really paying her sister any mind.

Applejack suddenly took on a rather hurt expression, sighing slightly. Removing herself from the doorway, the older sibling made her way to Apple Bloom’s side. The farmer pony looked down to her little sister, the filly in question zipping her gaze through the cupboard. Applejack coughed twice. “Uh, Apple Bloom?”

“Yeah sis?” The mentioned pony answered plainly.

“Uh… Can we talk?” Applejack replied.

Now it was Apple Bloom’s turn to look at her sister, but with a quizzical gaze. Cocking an eyebrow, Apple Bloom nodded. “Uh, yeah sure. What’s up Applejack?”

The older sister sat on her haunches and met her sister’s eye. “Ah’ve been thinkin’ and… well Ah think Ah’ve not done right by ya lately. Ah was just really mad that ya were doin’ bad things in school and then ya were late getting’ home Ah just… Umm…” The farmer scratched the back of her neck.

Apple Bloom smiled. “Yeah Ah know sis, ya were just tryin’ ta keep me on the straight and narrow. But the school thing wasn’t even ma fault! Diamond Tiara and Sliver Spoon lied ta Miss Cheerilee!”

“They pick on you and yer friends a lot don’t they?” Applejack questioned.

Apple Bloom looked off to nowhere in particular, a hurt expression adorning her face. “Yeah… A lot.”

Applejack huffed and wrapped her sister in a loving embrace. “Aw, Apple Bloom, Ah’d wish ya’d tell me about these kinda things. Ya know Ah’m always here ta listen ta anythin’ you’ve got say.”

“Really? Anything?”

Applejack smiled. “Anythin’ ya want sugarcube.”

“Applejack…” Apple Bloom started.

“Yeah sis?”

The filly darted her head and smiled at her sister. “Could Ah have some bits ta go shoppin’ for food supplies? Ah want try ma hoof at bein’ a chef, but Ah don’t want ta use up what we got.”

Applejack blinked a few times before smiling brightly. “Well of course Apple Bloom! But ya’ll have to tomorrow cause all the shops are closed up for the day.”

“Oh…” Apple Bloom said as her ears tilted back in defeat.

Applejack chuckled and released her sister from the embrace. “Aw, don’t worry, first thing tomorrow we’ll go and get some supplies for ya. Anythin’ ya want… as long as it’s actually in our price range.” The older mare gave a sisterly wink at her sibling before turning back and walking out of the cupboard. “Remember Apple Bloom, dinner’s in a few minutes!”

“Ok!” Apple Bloom shouted to her. Waiting until she was sure her sister was out of earshot, the filly groaned and slumped to the floor. She frowned hard. “Great… so much for bein’ back in a jiffy! Now the poor thing’s gotta wait another day for food!” Apple Bloom threw her hooves over her eyes. “Not feedin’ ma guests for two whole days? Ah’m a terrible host!” The filly groaned once more as she heard Applejack call her for dinner.