• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 4,873 Views, 174 Comments

Apple Bloom's Huragok Helper - Vigilance



After crashing in Equestria, a lone Covenant Huragok is found by none other than Apple Bloom.

  • ...
3
 174
 4,873

Fluttershy Hearts Huragok

“And after Ah found out Floats Low could understand Equestrian Ah gave him some paper and let him write out responses. Shortly after that Ah decided to come find you fer help. So that brings us ta now Ah guess.” Apple Bloom exhaled as she finished her story about the past few days.

The butterscotch yellow Pegasus Fluttershy sat in a chair across from her, listening intently. The usually shy mare absorbed the information about the filly’s discovery and subsequent interaction with the Huragok Floats Low. The gasbag in question had recovered from its shock over Fluttershy’s rather loud introduction, which the mare eventually apologized for, and was back to intense pondering of the Pegasus evolutionary track. Floats Low whistled and hummed to itself as it looked over Fluttershy’s body, such a strange creature needed thorough documentation after all.

Ignoring a quick poke from the Huragok’s tentacle, Fluttershy got up and walked over to the farm filly. “And you haven’t told anypony else about this? Not even Applejack?”

Apple Bloom nodded. “Yeah. At first, Ah didn’t tell anypony cause Ah thought Floats might be dangerous. After Ah figured out that wasn’t the case Ah came ta you, mostly cause yer so good with animals Ah kinda hoped it transfer over to…”

“Whatever Floats Low is?” Fluttershy asked, still ignoring the Huragok’s prodding of one of her wings.

“Basically.” Apple Bloom agreed. “Ah mean, he said he was a Huragok, but Ah’ve no clue what that is. Ah’m guessing it’s Floats’ species.”

“I’ve never heard of a species that call themselves Huragoks.” Fluttershy replied, tapping her chin. “Though to be fair, it’s believed Equestrians don’t even know half of the creatures that exist in our world.” The mare giggled happily at the notion. “Which is exactly why this is so great!”

“Yer really enjoyin’ this ain’t cha Fluttershy?” Apple Bloom observed.

“Of course!” The usually shy mare blurted out. “I’ve read just about every book in existence that details animals! The ponies that wrote those books got to get up close and personal with a lot of animals that Equestria had no information about before-hoof. You could say they kind of took out all the mystery out of a chunk of the creature catalogue. Because of that, I never really believed I’d ever find a creature that hadn’t already been documented before. But I was wrong, and now I’m the one that’s observing a new species that ponies have never heard about before! It’s just… It’s just an animal lover’s dream! It’s so exciting I could just scream in delight! Especially since this little guy doesn’t want…”

“No.” Apple Bloom blurted out instantly, thrusting her hoof over Fluttershy’s mouth. “Not again! There’s no need, no need once so ever, ta explain that again.” Fluttershy was about to object when the filly interrupted her. “Please, I’d rather not have those mental images stuck in ma mind.”

Fluttershy nodded, mostly to get the filly’s hoof away from her mouth. Wiping away some spittle, the Pegasus turned and gazed at Floats Low. “So, when were you planning to tell Applejack about your friend?”

Apple Bloom dragged her hoof along the ground. “Umm… What’s the time before never?”

Fluttershy’s expression hardened and the shy mare frowned. “Apple Bloom, you can’t not tell Applejack about this. She’d want to know you have a previously unknown species hidden away in your clubhouse.”

The filly sighed, gaze falling to the floor. “Ah… Ah know.”

“Especially considering he just took down a tree…”

“Yeah… Wait, WHAT?!” Apple Bloom’s head shot up and the filly ran to the window Fluttershy had moved to and was now looking out of. Sure enough, Floats Low was examining the fallen mass of wood that had once been an apple tree. The farm filly’s mouth gaped. “How did he… How’d he take down a tree?! We took our eyes off him fer ten seconds!”

“That was apparently enough time.” Fluttershy said matter-of-factly. “Though judging by how the tree looks, I’d say Floats had been working on that one for awhile.”

Apple Bloom felt a twitch forming in her left eye. Applejack was going to kill her if she found out that the filly’s guest had taken down one of the family’s trees. “What can kinda crazy do Ah have livin’ in ma clubhouse?”

“Come on.” Fluttershy said. “Let’s go and get him back in here before he takes down another tree.”

“Good luck…” Apple Bloom retorted. “Ah’ve tried ta pull him along before, it didn’t work out so well. If he doesn’t want ta move, he doesn’t move.”

“There’s no way to move him?” Fluttershy asked.

Apple Bloom thought about it. Looking around the clubhouse for inspiration, the filly spotted Floats Low’s device. A smile crept across Apple Bloom’s face. “Ah know exactly how ta move him.”

Outside, the Huragok Floats Low pondered the fallen tree before it. It would need this for the next modification it would need for Apple Bloom’s clubhouse. Taking in all the necessary variables, the Huragok surmised it would next need two cubic tons of scrap metal and the proper electronic equipment. Floats Low didn’t care if it took a hundred years, it would have its slipspace drive!

“Hey Floats Low.”

Head perking up and turning, the Huragok spied Apple Bloom and Fluttershy. The fact they were behind Floats Low held the gasbag’s interest for about a nanosecond before it decided to go back to its work; that is until Apple Bloom called out again.

“Look what Ah’ve got Floats!”

The Huragok turned again and saw that Apple Bloom had the device the Huragok had been working on for the past few days. Floats Low tilted its head and began floating towards the ponies, intent on retrieving its device. After all, the Huragok was no fool; it would be a while until it could make the drive, so it only made sense to work on other things while it waited. Extending its tentacles forward, the Huragok willingly followed the ponies as they backed up, walked up the gangplank, and returned into the clubhouse.

After Floats Low was securely inside, Apple Bloom handed over the device. Floats Low chimed happily and floated to its favorite corner to tinker on the device, once again slipping back into the infamous Huragok obliviousness.

“I’m guessing that thing is very important to him?” Fluttershy asked as she watched the creature work.

Apple Bloom shrugged. “Honestly, he’ll take anything ya give him and work on it. Look what he did ta ma clubhouse.” The filly motioned all around them. “If he were a pony, he’d have earned his Cutie Mark fifty times over already. Sometimes Ah think all he wants ta do is tinker with stuff.” An excited whistle came from the Huragok; the device flickered and began to hum pleasantly before going dead again. Floats Low let out something of a snort of frustration.

Fluttershy sat on her haunches and tapped her chin. “Huh, that really weird. I mean there are sentient species I’ve heard of that love fixing things, but they’re really far away from Equestria and none of the descriptions I’ve heard of them match Floats Low. Have you asked him if there are any more of his kind around?”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “No, he said he crashed in the Everfree Forest from some ship called the… uh… from a ship. He mentioned that there had been another creature with him in his escape, but they got separated during the crash.” The filly looked away, her eyes showing some sadness. “Floats said that his friend’s odds of survival were low.”

Fluttershy gasped quietly, throwing her hooves over her mouth. “Oh the poor thing… I can’t even image how sad he must be, to lose a friend like that.”

“Actually he seemed rather unaffected by it.” Apple Bloom interrupted. “But we did talk through paper, so maybe it wasn’t the best way to relay emotion.”

“I’m sure he just doesn’t want to worry you with something like that.” The butterscotch yellow mare replied. “He does seem rather nice after all, if not oblivious.”

“Oblivious isn’t a strong enough word.” Apple Bloom said, rolling her eyes.

“Hmmm… you’re probably right.” Fluttershy observed, giggling a little bit. The pair stood in place for a minute or two, watching the Huragok work. Finally, Fluttershy looked to Apple Bloom. “Is it alright if I ask him some questions?”

Apple Bloom thought about it. “Ah don’t know… Ah’ve been trying not ta push too hard, Ah don’t want ta make him feel so uncomfortable that he starts ta hide away again.”

“I won’t ask anything major,” Fluttershy persisted. “Just a few basic things about himself so I can get a better view of the kind of animal we’re dealing with.”

“Alright…” The filly conceded. “Ah guess if it’s only a couple of basic things.” Turning around, Apple Bloom got out a pen and paper. The pony placed them on the table and called out for the Huragok. “Hey Floats Low! Can you come here? Fluttershy wants to ask you some things.” It took another two shouts to get the gasbag’s attention, but eventually the Huragok floated over and took the pen in one tentacle in preparation for its answers.

Fluttershy smiled and sat in a chair across from Floats Low and Apple Bloom. “Alright. So for my first question…”

~~~~

Apple Bloom and Fluttershy trotted down the same dirt path they had taken an hour or so ago. After Fluttershy’s Q&A with Floats Low, the pair of ponies had promised to find out more about the floating creature together. On Apple Bloom’s insistence, however, the day’s observations were over and they had decided to leave the Huragok alone for now.

“He’s very vague, isn’t he?” Fluttershy asked her filly friend, somewhat disappointed at the lack of information in the Huragok's answers.

“Yeah… but Ah’m sure he’ll warm up ta us eventually.” Apple Bloom replied. “Then we can make some real progress talking with him.”

“Speaking of talking, when are you going to tell Applejack about Floats?” The Pegasus raised an eyebrow at the filly.

“Ah still think it’s a bad idea.” Apple Bloom said. “Ah mean, you were okay with him because you love animals. Applejack’s gonna be steamed to hear Ah kept him a secret fer so long without telling her.”

“It’s only going to get worse the longer you put it off.” Fluttershy replied. “Applejack will understand and appreciate your honesty.”

“You think so?”

Fluttershy looked off into the distance. “Well… she might ground you or something to begin with, but the appreciation will come eventually.”

Apple Bloom gave the mare a heavy frown as the two exited the orchard and found themselves in front of Sweet Apple Acres farmhouse. The two said their goodbyes and parted, Fluttershy turning to the front gate and Apple Bloom going to her home.

As the filly got to her door and entered her home, she took a deep breath. “Alright… Ah can do this. ‘Applejack, Ah’ve got an exotic tentacle creature in ma clubhouse that Ah found a few days ago but don’t be mad cause he’s nice and won’t hurt anypony.’ Yeah… that’ll work… probably.”

“Apple Bloom?” Applejack’s voice shouted from the kitchen. “Is that you? Everything ok? You and Fluttershy get the rabbit without any hassle?”

“Uh, yeah.” Apple Bloom shouted back.

“Well that’s good! Ah’d hate fer any of those innocent little critters ta get hurt, ‘cept when they decide ta try and eat ma flowerbeds, then Ah wanna slam a hoof inta their noggins!” Applejack laughed a little at the thought of teaching the rabbits a lesson or two about trying to eat an Apple family plant. “Anyway, ya want lunch sis? Ain’t nothing fancy, just some leftover hay sandwiches courtesy of Big Mac.”

“Sure Applejack.” The filly replied. “And sis, can Ah talk ta ya about something?”

Applejack’s tone of voice hardened. “It ain’t about that Diamond Tiara filly again is it? Cause so help me if it is Ah’m goin’ straight ta her father and…”

“No, no,” Apple Bloom inhaled deeply. “It’s about something else… someone else actually.”

“Some-one?” Applejack asked, pausing for a moment afterward. “Aw shucks Apple Bloom, Ah don’t care if yer… ‘preferences’ go ta another species, Ah still love ya all the same. Granny might be mad though, she was kinda hoping ta see her great grand-foals from ya, said they were gonna be beautiful.”

Apple Bloom gagged in shock. “WHAT?! NO! It ain’t nothing like that like sis! It’s nothing like that! Why would you even begin to think that?!”

Applejack stayed quiet for another minute. “Uh, no reason really. It’s just we live in a very open society and there ain’t no law that says a pony can’t fall in love with a zebra or a griffon or whatever else. When ya said someone instead of somepony Ah guess Ah foolishly assumed the most extreme scenario, silly me right?… Okay then sis, come on in here and we’ll sit down and talk about it while we eat.”

Apple Bloom breathed deeply and exhaled slowly. Staring at the kitchen door and feeling wobbly in her legs, the filly gulped. Remembering Fluttershy’s words of encouragement, Apple Bloom hardened her resolve and took the first step.

It’s alright, the filly repeated in her head, everything’s going to be just fine…