• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 4,873 Views, 174 Comments

Apple Bloom's Huragok Helper - Vigilance



After crashing in Equestria, a lone Covenant Huragok is found by none other than Apple Bloom.

  • ...
3
 174
 4,873

Slipspace Scandal

The vast expanse of space is as beautiful as it is dangerous. Home to sights that one could never hope to see on a planet, this vacuum void of territory between celestial objects is always a place of wonder and mystery.

This particular part of space was especially calm, no asteroids or space dust to float or disturb the peacefulness. Stars and black void as far as the eye could see, in all directions save one, where any creature could make out one of the many solar systems of the galaxy. A bright yellow dwarf was at its center, providing the orbiting planets light and heat. It was indeed the pinnacle of serene, looking at a solar system in the quiet of space with only the thump of your heart and the sounds of your breath to keep you company.

The serenity of this place was broken as the very fabric of reality was torn asunder, a pale bluish portal ripping through the black void. The opening was not stable, however, anyone could see that. Sparks of energy flew this way and that and it stretched and bent it odd directions. The fact it was still holding after a minute was impressive.

But soon even the portal was parted, an object forcing its way through despite the overpowering stress. Finally the front of the Ex-Covenant cruiser Assailing Divinity broke through and into the darkness of space, the slipspace portal more or less collapsing as its passenger finally left its hold.

The Divinity was in terrible condition. Its normally sleek, purplish-bluish hull was broke and gnarled in different directions as melting hot plasma flames ejected into space from the ship's many holes in a brilliant display of blue light. Pieces ripped away from the hull and the hiss of venting atmosphere could be heard. The ship’s drives continually flicker in and out of life; going dark one second and returning to a bluish tint the next.

On the bridge of this broken vessel Shipmaster Veer ‘Vadamee cursed under his breath as he watched the warning lights flash deep red. The eight foot three Sangheili snarled loudly, his four hinged mandibles flexing out. “Stupid machine! I know what is wrong! You needn’t tell me a thousand times!” His long, slender fingers slid over the controls to rectify the problem, still the light flashed.

The bridge of the Assailing Divinity looked a lot like the hull, broken and misshapen with flames spewing out anywhere they could. Sangheili were stationed at the bridges’ consoles, trying to keep the failing ship afloat. More than a few dead were scattered about, bloody and most filled with shrapnel. Many more were lying on the deck, bleeding out. Some of the younger lads tried to give aid to their fallen comrades, but the dying quickly pushed them away. They would not accept aid for a wound! To do so is not the way of an honorable Sangheili warrior!

“Life support is failing Shipmaster!”

“Bay three is aflame! Several killed in the fire!”

“Atmosphere is venting in several locations Shipmaster!”

Corun ‘Vadamee, the ship’s communications officer, made his way to Veer. “Brother, we cannot hold much longer under his conditions!”

“Curse those Jiralhanae cretins!” Veer slammed his fist into his console, visibly denting it. “A simple pickup mission has become a disaster! There will be retribution when we return to Sanghelios!”

Corun nodded. “Of course, we shall hunt down the transgressors and send them to an early death. But… brother, to do that we must first get back to our home. The slipspace drives are malfunctioning and, to be honest, I am not entirely sure where they have put us. Would there not be wisdom in allowing the Huragok to fix the…”

Veer snarled at his brother. “NO! I will not allow that machine to run free until we return to Vadam and strap it into an explosive harness!”

“But surely it would want to survive as any other creature no? It would be a simple matter for the Huragok to fix the engines and…”

“Huragok are machines! They care for nothing other than to repair and maintain the gifts of the Forerunners! I will not risk it getting caught in an explosion or any other mishap and then have to explain to the Arbiter why we failed to bring him a Huragok!” Veer returned to his console, breathing angrily. “Return to your station brother.” He said without turning back to Corun. The younger Sangheili nodded and returned to communications.

“Shipmaster! The Jiralhanae ship has just left slipspace and is moving to intercept coordinates!”

Veer snorted. “So soon? I thought we struck their drives before we left that miserable excuse for a planet. It seems the damage they sustained sent them here as well… odd.”

Corun espied the distraught contemplation on his brother’s face. “What is wrong Veer? Surely these simpletons do not frighten you?”

“OF COURSE NOT!” Veer barked. “But they are animals, no better than the nishum. I do not like the odds of the Huragok being killed or captured by them. Even one in the hands of those filth would mean the death of many Sangheili.”

Corun tilted his head to the side slightly. “Then what do you propose we do?”

~~~~

Gelik ‘Vadamee looked at the sleek Phantom in front of him, the drop ship was a little beaten up but still serviceable. It could enter a vacuum void like space, and that was all that mattered. Turning, the seven foot five Sangheili saw his Shipmaster striding towards him in that seemingly bulky yet proud way Sangheili walk. The warrior made a light bow to his commanding officer. “Sir, I am ready to go.”

Veer nodded. “Good. Understand that this task is of utmost importance. Fail, and dishonor will be yours for eternity.” The Shipmaster stepped aside to show a Huragok behind him.

The floating bio supercomputer cocked its thin head at Gelik, its six black eyes looking at him unblinking. The Huragoks were a strange race. Artificial beings created by the Forerunners, they looked like deformed purplish blue balloons with a lot of bulging sacs that constantly fell and rose. Six tentacle appendages slung down from its body, each protruding into uncountable amounts of microscopic cilia. They were bioluminescent and the faint glow from them was slightly calming, slightly. They were passive, peaceful, usually quiet creatures whose only goal in life was to fix and improve things.

“To avoid the Huragok being captured.” Veer started. “You’ll be taking it to a nearby planet that we have discerned as habitable. Flee there and wait for us to come find you.” Veer could see the discontent in Gelik’s eyes at the words ‘flee’ and ‘wait’. “I understand your frustrations, but getting this Huragok to the Arbiter is much more important than the honor of battle.”

Gelik bit his lip; well… bit his lip in the way Sangheili can bite their lips. “Yes Shipmaster. I will go at once.”

“Good.” Veer nodded. “Be swift.” He turned to the Huragok. “Huragok! On to the Phantom, now!”

The gasbag obeyed without question, floating into the Phantom’s holding bay and stopping in the dead center while Gelik went to the pilot’s seat and started the ship up. The machine whirled to life and lifted off its holders. Gelik shut its holding bay doors and drifted to the landing bay’s opening. Passing through the vacuum shield, Gelik’s shuttle reoriented itself to the loss of gravity and then instantly sped off towards a nearby planet.

Veer watched the shuttle go, uneasy about throwing a huge asset out the door without proper protection. Gelik would have to do, however. The warriors and ships of Assailing Divinity were needed to beat the Jiralhanae back into submission. Veer’s head jerked out of thought as the ship’s comms came online.

Shipmaster Veer! The Jiralhanae vessel is targeting Gelik’s shuttle!

“WHAT?! Stop them!” Veer yelled, unsure if the ship wide comm system was two-way.

~~~~

In Gelik’s shuttle, the Sangheili was plotting his course towards the habitable planet his Shipmaster had picked out. Gelik noted that the blue and green sphere reminded him a lot of the human homeworld of Earth. But considering they were not knee deep in humans right now, that couldn’t be the case. He kept plotting his course towards the orb.

Back in the hold, the Huragok was floating around and looking at the shuttle’s interior. The transport needed serious repair in the creature’s mind and its cilia were twitching in anticipation to start tinkering. It spotted a nearby loose panel and began floating towards it.

Gelik was checking the shuttle’s status when he heard rustling in the hold. Turning his head sharply, he spotted the Huragok undoing a panel. “What are you doing?! Don’t touch that!” The Huragok looked at him for second before placing the panel back. Gelik returned to the shuttle’s viewscreen only for him to hear more noise. Turning his head again, Gelik spied the Huragok ripping up a block of the floor. “Don’t touch that either! Touch nothing!” Gelik shouted. Once again the Huragok placed the panel back. Gelik sighed deeply and looked back to his controls. A red flashing light instantly started flaring and the Sangheili snarled. “I swear Huragok, if that light is on because you are tampering with the ship I will personally…” Snapping his neck back, Gelik saw the Huragok simply floating at the door to the cockpit, doing nothing.

The shuttle rattled and rocked as a blast from the Jiralhanae’s ship hit its left side and sent the ship spiraling out of control. Gelik’s mind raced as he tried stabilizing the ship and doing his best to avoid burning up as they were starting to enter the planet’s atmosphere. Gelik cursed continuously under his breath.

The Sangheili didn’t have time to react as his Huragok passenger broke into the cockpit and started messing with the controls. Gelik, now following bare instincts now, growled at the intruder and tried pushing it away. “What are you doing?! Stop! I need to stabilize the shuttle! You’ll kill us both you foolish thing!”

Despite all his efforts, Gelik could not budge the Huragok as it fiddled away with the controls and even the compartment walls themselves. Gelik was still cursing at the Huragok as the Phantom entered the planet’s stratosphere.

~~~~

The little Earth pony filly Apple Bloom kicked a rocked as she trotted down the dirt road towards Sweet Apple Acres. It was almost ten o’clock at night and the light olive pony huffed as she walked along, her pinkish bow bouncing as she moved along. Gritting her teeth angrily, the filly let out a depressed moan.

“UGH! Stupid Diamond Tiara an’ her stupid over dramatic reactions! It was just a little frog! Ain’t nothing ta be scared of! But no! She just has ta go to Miss Cheerilee an’ tell ‘er that Ah put it in ‘er lunchbox! WHICH AH DIDN’T! I just showed the darn thing ta ‘er! Why do Ah have ta stay at the school an’ clean it from top ta bottom for my disorderly conduct?” The filly let out another beleaguered moan and kicked a nearby pebble so hard it flew well passed the path into the grass somewhere.

Apple Bloom let out a sigh. “Ah hate ‘er so much sometimes. Why does she got ta be so mean?” A light caught Apple Bloom’s eye as it began to streak across the sky. A shooting star! Thought the filly, and instantly she made a wish on the one thing she had in mind. “Ah wish Diamond Tiara wasn’t such a big meanie and she’d actually be nice for a change.”

Apple Bloom smiled at her wish and looked back to the star, which was now very close. Apple Bloom cocked an eyebrow as the falling star got bigger and brighter. The filly gasped and hit the dirt when she realized the star was falling right at her! Common instinct took hold and she grasped at the ground even harder and quivered. The light from the star became intense and the filly shook like a leaf. But instead of a sickening splat followed up by a white light at the end of a dark tunnel, Apple Bloom only felt the ground shake like an earthquake was happening. Even that lasted only a second.

Apple Bloom brought her head up and looked around. The star had crashed nowhere near her, and instead had landed in the nearby Everfree Forest. She could see a light and some smoke where the thing had landed. Now normally, this is the part where any sensible pony would go home or to the local authorities, too scared to brave the Everfree or find out what fell. Unfortunately, we’re dealing with a curious filly who had braved the Everfree before and wants nothing more than to find her place in life. Throwing her fear aside, Apple Bloom leapt at the chance to discover something new. Maybe there was even a Cutie Mark for this kind of thing!

Racing into the forest at blinding speeds, Apple Bloom twisted and turned through the underbrush quickly. Zecora the Zebra had taught her the ways to navigate the forest quickly and safely, so reaching the fallen star was a piece of cake, despite how far in the forest it was. When Apple Bloom finally reached the star, she was met with a huge crater filled with charred and gnarled metal of a strange make. Her willing faltering at the sight of such things, the filly made for the main crater hesitantly.

Reaching the edge, she peered over into the fire and smoke. Huh, nothing. Apple Bloom exhaled relieved. She’d half expected something to jump out at her. She had to admit, that made it less exciting, but her find was still pretty cool. She could get Twilight Sparkle to come here and analyze the metal chunks. Twilight was super smart; she’d be able to figure out what they were.

Apple Bloom was just about to turn and leave when she heard a whistling sound coming from the crater. Eyes widening in fear, Apple Bloom looked into the crater once more. “H-Hello?”

More whistling struck through the air, and from the crater rose a… a… a thing! A creature that Apple Bloom could only describe as a messed up looking balloon rose up from the smoking crater. The balloon had six tentacles and a long slender neck and head. Six black beads that Apple Bloom assumed were its eyes stared at her. The thing tilted its head a bit, looking at her. Apple Bloom’s mouth was widely agape, the filly wanted to scream but only silence came out. The Balloon tilted its head the other way and made an innocently high-pitched sound. Apple Bloom fainted.

The Huragok’s head shot back in shock. Little hooved creature fainted! That’s not good! The alien floated down to Apple Bloom’s body and rubbed its cilia over her, trying to find the source of her disrepair. It wasn’t good that she wasn’t waking. She needs fixing right away! The Huragok looked back to the destroyed shuttle. Hmmm… Can fix that later, not going anywhere. Yes, fix living creature first, then ship! Wonder where Sangheili went, lost after ship broke apart. Hope is ok, hopefully will find and repair if necessary. But first things first, fix little hooved creature first.

The Huragok took Apple Bloom in its tentacles and hauled her off to a safer place; a burning crash site was no place for repairs after all.