• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,378 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,378

Chapter 5- Trials and Stipulations

Now I am a man of sound mind, but what I was currently participating in was breaking my soul. What is this activity you may ask? Well it’s none other than the sacred game of truth or dare. You see after the previous scare of being locked in the school Rainbow decided that she wanted to hold a slumber party that following night. At first I said I would go see a movie or something to stay out of their hair but the words she spoke to me caused me to tremble in slight fear.

Rainbow stopped me at the door, “Your invited too you know.”

I was as silent as a grave.

And there I sat in a circle of girls feeling VERY uncomfortable and awkward. Some guys would kill to be in my position but not me. When it comes to girls I am what they call an oddball, I’m nice and respectful to them but I never make any moves and I am HORRIBLE at picking up on signals. I sat in absolute silence as they spun the bottle and did their dares and revealed their truths, and some of them were funny as hell. Who knew AJ actually slept with a stuffed bear still and Rarity sometimes partook in a mean game of street hockey. Pinkie Pie apparently once stole a cupcake from a bake sale, on her part it was technically because she under paid by one cent. Rainbow Dash admitted very reluctantly she watches romance movies on the odd day and Fluttershy once yelled very loudly inside a library after stubbing her toe. Sunset on the other hand admitted she once switched the signs on bathrooms of her old school and confused everyone; she was caught later and punished with detention. All the while I smiled slightly as the game got more intense, but then the bottle landed on me after being spun by Twilight.

Twilight leaned forward, “Alright Scribe, Truth or Dare?”

I was stuck and weighed my options, “uhm…Truth?”

Twilight leaned back, “Okay, how many times have you lied to someone you trust?”

I froze then smiled, “I kind of lost count…”

Applejack shook her head, “That’s just shameful.”

I casually waved my hand in a mysterious manner, “I might be lying now or telling the truth. You’ll never know.”

Everyone laughed at that as I spun the bottle which soon landed on Applejack.

I smiled evilly, “Well it seems Mr. shameful has you at the crossroads, Truth or Dare?”

Applejack leaned forward undeterred, “Give me the best dare you got!”

I couldn’t help but do that evil smile again, I go power crazy sometimes.

I tapped my chin then fixed a malicious stare upon the cowgirl, “I dare you to let Rarity do your hair in whatever way she wants.”

Everyone gasped in surprise as I air dunked, “Swish.”

AJ stood up as Rarity led her to the kitchen table, “Rainbow, could ya spin on mah behalf?”

Rainbow nodded, “Roger that.”

Rainbow reached down to the bottle and soon it landed upon me, “Hey AJ the bottle’s pointing at Scribe!”

Applejack then yelled out from the kitchen, “Truth or Dare?”

I looked aside for a second, “Well I went with truth last time so I guess dare.”

Applejack soon walked back into the living room to reveal that Rarity had done her hair in a southern belle style much to her chagrin, “Alrighty then,” she glanced at me for a second, “I dare ya to dress up in one of Rainbow’s skirts and shirt.”

All the girls widened their eyes as I immediately stood up, “Okay I’m drawing the line-“

Applejack leaned forward and smiled deviously, “You know the penalty fer not accepting a dare don’t ya?”

Oh boy did I, house rules were if you didn’t accept a dare you had to drink a concoction of unknown origin from the fridge. It didn’t help that Dash’s mother was trying different liquid recipes.

I looked down in defeat not wanting to literally taste defeat, “Fine…”

Dash grinned maliciously as she stood up, “I’ll be right back.”

I trembled in utter fear.

*

(Meanwhile somewhere in the city)

Chrysalis was pacing about within her dwelling, “You say that Twilight Sparkle has come here?”

The individual in question she was speaking to nodded silently, “Yes. But she won’t be a problem, give me some time and I will subtract her from the equation.”

Chrysalis halted her pacing, “And you said she was with another correct?”

The individual nodded, “Yes. He’s a wild card that rest assured I shall be keeping an eye on, if he’s friends with Twilight he is most likely a devious and accomplished strategist of the highest caliber. Even now he’s most likely plotting with that irritating girl and her comrades.”

*

I sat in the circle feeling dead inside while I wore a navy blue skirt and a white tank top. I shot Applejack a death glare as the bottle continued to spin. Thankfully it was my turn once more and I thought of the perfect revenge as it landed on Rainbow Dash.

I cast a side glance at her, “Truth or dare Dash?”

Dash smirked, “Dare, cmon take your best shot!”

The smile that developed caused a visible shiver to run through a couple of the girls, “I dare you to kiss Applejack on the lips for two minutes, how do you like them apples!”

Applejack cringed as she leaned back, “Wha?!”

Rainbow crossed her arms, “No way!!”

I then checked my nails for dirt that did not exist, “Well if that’s what you want then you both can share the shame shake in the fridge.”

Applejack jabbed a finger at me, “Scribe, you are evil!”

I smiled, “I try.”

Rainbow blinked a couple of times then sighed, “Alright let’s get this over with.”

The next two minutes were the most amusing of the night. Soon the night began to become a little more relaxed and we moved on to the next phase of the night, movies. The rules were that each guest had to choose one movie to watch and then a queue would be set up for the order to watch them in. Twilight chose a fantasy film whereas Sunset chose its sequel, Rainbow Dash chose an action movie concerning modified cars and AJ chose a western movie. Somehow I wasn’t surprised that Fluttershy chose an animated movie but then it came down to me.

I searched through the movie network and dashes TV, “Hm…”

Dash was bored on the couch, “While were young Cryptic.”

I widened my eyes, “You gals have The Man with the Iron Fists?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “Is that your choice?”

I scratched my chin in indecision, “No, but if you all have that…”

I cycled through the list until I found what I was looking for, “Oh yeah, perfect.”

I selected “Highlander.”

*

By the end of the night everyone was wiped out, soon we were all setting up our sleeping areas and readied ourselves for the night. I was soon ready to sleep and stared at the ceiling as the lights went out; normally I would fall asleep immediately but if found myself unable. I visibly sighed and soon found myself outside the house staring at the street. I heard the door behind me open but didn’t turn.

The voice tipped me off immediately, “You alright?”

I turned to see AJ standing on the porch, “Yeah, just got a lot of stuff going on in my head.”

Applejack stood beside me, “You miss your home don’t you?”

I smiled at the memories, “Yeah got a lot of family and friends back there.”

Applejack nodded, “Same here partner, a big one too. Ah got cousins, aunts, uncles, and even my main family here in the city.”

I smirked, “Must be murder when you have to write the Christmas cards.”

Applejack laughed at that, “Tell me about it, every year ah get writer’s cramp.”

Me and AJ shared a good natured laugh and soon went back inside.

*

Sunset stared around the darkened house; the living room was completely deserted and had there were no possessions around at all. A strange yet familiar voice began to call her outside, reluctantly she opened the door and found herself out front of the school but gasped at the scene before her. The school was in ruins and all of the students were frozen in stone. She turned her head and saw a familiar crater which she slowly approached. Smoke began to billow up from the center as a shape emerged.

Sunset backed up in horror until her back was against the statue.

A demonic winged female creature which had a fiery color scheme sneered at Sunset and spoke in a twisted version of her voice, “Why so silent?”

The demon Sunset then placed a claw on Sunset’s shoulder, “We are connected after all and you even turned your back on our plan in favour of those annoying girls. You’re such a disappointment.”

Sunset soon found herself in her pony form and trembled under her other self’s glare, “It’s no wonder Twilight took your place as Celestia’s favorite.”

Sunset then yelled out, “Why won’t you leave me alone! These nightmare’s-“

The demon Sunset cut her off, “Will never cease until you rejoin me.”

Sunset then screamed out, “NEVER!!”

*

Sunset felt her fist connect with something hard as she woke up. Rainbow Dash was clutching her nose in pain as the other girls tried to comfort the now frightened girl. Sunset glanced around in fright but was eased by Twilight.

Twilight placed her hands on Sunset’s shoulders, “Sunset, it was just a bad dream. It’s alright, we’re here for you.”

Rainbow Dash held a now slightly bloody tissue to her nose, “Can I say that you got a mean right hook.”

*

I stared at the scene before me and looked to the side; there was no need for me to assist. I mean come on her friends already had it handled. I glanced back at her frightened expression like she had seen a ghost. The thing is I could sympathize with her on that level, my dreams themselves had there scary moments and once or twice I had woken in a cold sweat. I sighed and shook my head as I got to my feet. I don’t know why I did it or why she allowed it to happen, but I got to my knees in front of her and hugged the frightened girl.

She tensed up as I smiled, “Feel better?”

Sunset slowly nodded, “Yes,” I pulled back as she smiled gratefully, “Thanks Scribe, I needed that.”

The girls smiled at my helpfulness and Pinkie Pie pointed at me, “Scribey you’re blushing!”

I shook my head quickly, “Am not! My cheeks are always-,” I then remembered my usual skin pigmentation was gone, “Never mind…”

The girls then shared a collective giggle as I shuffled back to my sleeping spot.

*

The next morning I awoke to silence as I crept into the kitchen. I then jumped in surprise as I noticed Twilight sitting and waiting for me.

Twilight gestured for me to sit down, “Scribe, you know the guidelines of the mission correct?”

I rolled my eyes, “Yes Twilight, get back The Algorithm and stop Chrysalis.”

Twilight nodded, “Exactly but I have to tell you something else. You realize once all is said and done that you’ll be sent back to your home.”

I leaned over, “Yeah and?”

Twilight sighed, “The best way I can say this is that you can’t make ANY emotional attachments. If you did and you left, it would only bring pain.”

I leaned back in surprise, “Where is this coming from?”

Twilight folded her hands on the table, “Well after your nightly hat with Applejack and the comforting you did with Sunset I thought it would be wise to…”

She trailed off when I stared at her blankly, “RRGH, Okay let me try something else.”

Twilight thought for a second, “Imagine you have a little voice that told you the right thing to do in a very critical situation like this mission, now what would it be saying about the girls.”

I mocked cat growled as she grabbed my shoulders, “NO! No, we have a mission remember?”

I robotically recited, “Get Algorithm, stop Chrysalis.”

Twilight nodded, “Yes and you’re the protector AND a temporary residence in this world who is trying to blend in. Now, throw Applejack and Sunset into the mix. What does the voice say,” she turned my head to look at the ceiling as she stood beside me, “Listen, carefully.”

I blinked a few times, “The girls are…off limits?”

Twilight smiled with a nod, “Bravo, the girls are off limits,” she raised her hand to shake, “Shake on it?”

I shook her hand, “Trust me when I say I you got nothing to worry about.”