• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,377 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,377

Chapter 17- Magic

The walk home was sort of a blur to me. I faded in and out on occasion but didn’t really pick much up aside from the occasionally passing car and street sign. I must have been hoofing it because when I unlocked Dash’s front door and entered I was sweating. Spike was asleep atop the element which made me nod at his dedication and I headed upstairs. Soon my costume was off and I sat in the darkened room in utter silence, my thoughts must have drifted because soon I heard the audible sound of the door opening downstairs. I narrowed my eyes as knocks were heard on the bedroom door.

I continued to stare at the door as Twilight’s voice entered my mind, “Scribe, are you alright?”

I turned my eyes to the door, “I thought I was clear that I didn’t want to be bothered.”

Rarity’s voice was one of concern, “Scribe please let us in.”

I shook my head as I laid my head down to sleep and spoke just above a whisper, “Just go.”

*

Rainbow glanced to her friends, “What’s his problem?”

Twilight shook her head, “I don’t know. But I have a pretty good idea.”

Applejack crossed her arms, “Well could ya explain then?”

Twilight sighed, “I think that-“

The bedroom door opened in a flash as a slightly frustrated Cryptic glared daggers at her.

*

I inhaled shakily in an effort to calm myself, “Several things that push my buttons. People who act like their better than me and order me around. A person repeating something I heard a second time and the last is when someone talks like I’m not in the room when in fact I am.”

I looked at them all, “You want to know the reason I’m so upset?”

Fluttershy looked to the side, “If it’s not too much trouble.”

I sighed rubbing the bridge of my nose, “Alright. Since the first day I got here my entire mind has been a jumble of emotions and various things that completely confound me. One thing in particular is the fact that I started to develop…feelings toward someone and I didn’t want to. Then tonight she comes completely out of left field and takes me by surprise confusing me more and now I…I don’t know what to think.”

Rarity gasped, “You’re in love aren’t you?”

I shook my head, “Thing is I can’t and don’t want to be.”

Pinkie Pie walked a little closer, “But Scribe love is a beautiful thing, why don’t you want it?”

I looked at them all with empty eyes, “I don’t deserve it.”

I then quietly shut the door before any of them could object.

*

I sat on the bed and stared into the darkened void of the guest room as the group must have decided to give me some space. It was true; in my own mind I didn’t deserve love. Many things about me weren’t great. Behind the mask that I show the world I was a coward who only acted on impulse and never thought things through. I never ask for help and I admit at times I’m selfish. But still people saw some good in me that I couldn’t. Hell, Sunset wasn’t the first girl to fall for whatever I had, true I never was in a relationship but the others wanted to be. I fell on my back and stared at the roof, what was I missing?

I placed my hands on my face in frustration, “WHAT AM I MISSING!?”

*

I awoke in the middle of the night and heard the soft breathing of Twilight on the floor and sighed. The events of the previous played over and over again, specifically the one moment that I would remember for all time. I calmly got out of bed and made my way down to the living room. I sat upon the couch and reflected about how I acted to the sudden show of emotion Sunset had placed upon me. Of course my mission guidelines ringed in my head straight and true but then one thing came to me in the dark of the room, the feeling I had felt when she had kissed. It felt like we had become one for an instant and that my dark world had been filled with a semblance of light.

I felt that same itch and surrendered to my heart song…again, “No one would listen, no one but her, heard as the outcast hears.”

I stood up and walked to the window to look over the dark neighborhood and reflected upon my original time in high school and how things proceeded, “Shamed into solitude shunned by the multitude,” a vision of me sitting on the sidelines of most conversations flashed in my mind, “I learned to listen. In my dark, my heart heard music.”

I remembered at first I had actually tried to make friends with my tormentors, find some even ground which eventually devolved into me trying to show them the real me, “I longed to teach the world, rise up and reach the world,” I then sadly turned from the window as all results met with the same fate, “No one would listen, I alone could hear the music.”

I then looked to the ceiling and smiled as visions of me and Sunset having good times with the girls flashed in my mind, “Then at last a voice in the gloom, seemed to cry "I hear you.” "I hear you fears, your torment and your tears.”

A vision of our conversation on the staircase played through my mind, “She saw my loneliness, shared in my emptiness. No one would listen, no one but her. Heard as the outcast hears.”

I then sat on the couch as I stared into space and remembered how I had left her in panic on the stairs, “No one would listen,” a vision of her at my side when I awoke in the bed upstairs played in my mind, “No one but her,” then the final image of her hurt face when I had left her caused me to slump in shame and sadness, “Heard as the outcast hears…”

*

Upon awakening once more I glanced around to find that the house was empty. The clock had read that I was an hour early, I stood and walked upstairs and looked at myself in the mirror. The animated face of my body stared back at me but I soon saw my real face and sighed.

I shook my head, “What does she see in me? I mean sure I said I would defend her but…what?”

My reflection returned to normal as I turned from the mirror and continued on my way into the bedroom. I got dressed and quietly crept downstairs to eat some breakfast. The thing about the Dash family is that the parents left early during the weekdays which gave me the opportunity to eat in silence. I stared off into space as I munched upon my toast and noticed a shadow fall upon the far wall. Twilight walked in and noticed me staring at her.

I put my bread down, “Listen Twilight, I’m sorry for snapping at you and the girls last night.”

She smiled in understanding, “It’s alright. But I think the person you should be apologizing to is Sunset.”

I nodded, “But if I do…I’m going to tell her how I really feel. I know I will.”

Twilight sat down with me, “Listen Scribe, I understand that I told you that making emotional attachments was not a good idea. But if what happened was true, then I have no right to come between you two at all,” she then placed her hands on my shoulder, “Just…be prepared for the consequences when all is said and done.”

I nodded sadly but smiled at her as I brought her into a surprise hug, “Thanks Twi, you’re a true friend.”

Twilight blinked in surprise but smiled as she hugged me back, “Thank you Cryptic.”

*

All the good cheer however vanished abruptly when we all met in the cafeteria at lunch with the same question on our minds.

I looked at them all, “Have any of you seen Sunset?”

Applejack shook her head, “Not since last night.”

Rainbow took a bite of her burger, “Must have done something REALLY bad if she isn’t showing up Romeo.”

Everyone glared at her, “What?”

I raised a hand, “No she’s right.”

Rarity turned to look at me, “Forgive my asking but what exactly happened between you two last night?”

I sighed, “Things were said when she took me to the roof to escape he who shall not be named and…she kissed me.”

Rarity sighed dreamily, “A kiss on the roof in the night, how romantic.”

I looked away in shame, “It would have been if I didn’t run off.”

Rarity gasped in shock, “You left a lady, who threw herself at you alone?”

I became fidgety, “I panicked alright?”

Twilight cleared her throat, “Oookay let’s put a pin in this for now and address the issue at hand. Sunset would have told us if she was going to stay home so that just leaves.”

Pinkie Pie put her fork down, “You don’t think…”

We all turned around to see Umbra staring at us across the Caf with a smug smile as he left.

I stood, “Dash check the clock.”

Rainbow looked, “Already did Scribe,” she cracked her knuckles, “I already know it’s go time.”

We all immediately gave chase.

*

After a few minutes we were in the boiler room and staring at the door to Umbra’s lair. I opened it quickly as we all surged down the stairs and into the living area. We all immediately began to turn the place upside down searching for both Umbra and Sunset. We kept turning up empty but stopped when we heard the sound of slow clapping.

Umbra walked out from the shadows and spread his arms, “Looking for someone?”

I pointed in anger, “Where is she!”

Umbra looked around, “Who? You’ll have to be more specific.”

Rainbow grabbed his shirt, “You know who you snake! Where’s Sunset Shimmer!”

Umbra smiled as he grasped Rainbow’s wrist and threw her off, “Oh her. Oh she’s around,” he then snapped his fingers, “Aren’t you Sunset?”

The sound of slow footsteps filled the air as Sunset emerged from behind him with a blank look.

Twilight stepped toward Umbra, “What did you do to her!”

Umbra casually smiled, “Nothing at all, she’s safe,” his expression became cold, “For now.”

Rarity stood with a sour look, “Don’t you dare hurt her.”

Umbra leaned against the wall, “Oh I don’t intend to Miss Rarity. But that could change very easily.”

Applejack crossed her arms, “What are ya sayin?”

Umbra walked over to us with a slight saunter to his step, “I’m done with this little song and dance of ours so I’ll get right to it. I know a few things, things that my benefactor might find very interesting should it reach her ears. Then there’s poor Sunset over here.”

Twilight shook her head, “Stop beating around the bush, what do you want Umbra.”

Umbra turned on his heel, “You know what I want, but instead of giving you an offer I’m giving you a choice,” he then raised two fingers, “I shall free Sunset and giver her back to you today and tomorrow HOWEVER, come to the school after hours on the second day. You shall bring her and the element back stage in the gym so we can properly discuss our arrangement more privately.”

Rainbow smirked, “And if we refuse to show up?”

Umbra then gave a chilling laugh, “Well then you don’t’,” his eyes then became crazed, “however failure to show up could result in some collateral damage.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, “What are you saying?”

Umbra got dangerously close, “As I said, the kid gloves are off princess. This is the endgame. Either you give me what I want or I turn this school into a ditch.”

I was disgusted and surprised, “You can’t do that!”

Umbra raised a finger as he addressed us as a whole, “Oh I can and I will.”

Twilight looked at a smiling Umbra as he extended his hand, “Do we have a deal?”

Twilight looked at the hand then took it with visible reluctance, “Deal.”

Umbra clapped his hands together, “Excellent. You’re dismissed.”

He threw Sunset into me as her eyes returned to normal, “You alright?”

Sunset got off me and dusted herself off, “I’m fine.”

Umbra chuckled, “Lovers spat?”

I growled at him as he smiled in response, “Well now if you’ll excuse me I have some paper work to fill out.”

We all left in silence. Sunset on the other hand wouldn’t even look at me.

*

After school ended we gathered Flash and we were walking to the exit.

I was focused and determined, “Alright I have a plan.”

Rainbow looked at me curiously, “But you heard what he said if we refuse.”

I stopped and turned to them and pointed, “That’s the thing we’re not going to refuse.”

All present looked at me like I was crazy.

*

Night had come very fast and all the while Sunset had been giving me the cold shoulder. It was like the arctic itself had replaced both shoulders and were bombarding me with its chilled winds. Twilight insisted that she stay the night at Rainbow’s, I don’t know why she accepted but none the less I had a feeling Twilight only asked so we could talk. I slowly snuck downstairs and noticed her sitting on a chair looking outside.

I coughed slightly as she straightened, “Uh…hi Sunset.”

Sunset turned her head and regarded me with a scathing glare, “Hi.”

I walked forward, “Look about last night-“

Sunset stood up, “There’s no need to explain. You obviously want to stand alone in the world, why else would you let me do what I did then completely reject me.”

I stopped an inch from her, “Sunset that’s not the reason.”

Sunset nodded with a smile that bled anger, “Your right! The reason you did what you did is because you’re afraid of letting a person who understands you,” she turned with slightly teary eyes, “who cares about you into your life. TELL ME I’M WRONG!”

I grasped her shoulders, “You’re wrong. I know your hurt and I feel lower than dirt for what I did, but you have to understand that when all of this is said and done…whatever this is won’t have a happy ending for either of us.”

Sunset swatted my hands away and jabbed a finger into my chest as her eyes burned, “You said you loved me last night, do you know what that did to me?! True for a while I was questioning it myself, what I felt toward you. After a while some things came to perspective and last night clinched it for me, I wanted to share in your world,” she turned away, “a world so similar to my own.”

My eyes widened, “You mean…”

Sunset nodded, “Yes. After last night, you hurt me Scribe and it still hurts. I’m so scared.”

I calmly took her hands in mine, “Sunset, there’s no way I could ever understand what you had to go through in your life. But…,” the words I spoke were greatly thought upon but filled with compassion, “I want too and I want to stand by you, to keep you safe.”

Sunset looked at me with sad happiness, “But what if your plan fails?”

I smiled and nodded, “It won’t and even if it does I will fight to bring you back. That bastard will plague you no longer.”

Sunset smiled as tears streamed from her eyes, “Scribe…thank you.”

I hugged her and held her tight but I knew deep down this moment, this feeling would not last.

*

Sunset and I stood back stage and awaited Umbra’s arrival. Clutched in Sunset’s hand was the crown. She was starting to tremble in fear. I took notice and looped my hand with hers which she smiled at but then we both looked forward to see Umbra leering at the display.

Umbra narrowed his eyes, “A part of me wants nothing more than to leap across this stage and break every bone in your body Scribe. But I am in a very good mood right now.”

I let go of Sunset as we both approached, “No doubt, you won.”

Umbra narrowed his eyes further, “What’s your game?”

I shrugged, “No game, we've all decided that we want this bloodshed to stop. Where are your lackeys?”

Umbra waved the comment off, “Back at their school for the time being. Now if you would kindly.”

I shook my head, “You know I wondered how exactly a freak of nature like you could get away with all the stuff you do and never get pegged. Making a lair below the school and securing the class presidency after transferring, seems like a lie to me.”

Umbra laughed, “A lie? Feh! It was mere child’s play.”

Sunset crossed her arms, “I doubt it.”

Umbra became angry at this, “Arrogant foal! Do you not realize how much power I have in this school!?”

He then gestured around, “This entire school hangs on my every word and you want to know why,” he then pointed to himself, “because I WILL it! My power is unrivaled and immeasurable to many extents!”

Me and Sunset took a seat as he continued, “All those students, no, those SHEEP! Don’t even realize that I have been controlling them since day one! The teachers are no better being the mindless drones that they are, they turn a blind eye to me and never question why! The one thing that they all share is that their weak and insignificant compared to ME!! The best part is now that I have what I want i have no more need of them. I’ll turn them into my mindless servants that will do as I command without question oh wait,” he laughed, “I repeated myself, they already are AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!”

I was smiling when he realized that I hadn’t said a word.

Umbra glared at me, “What are you smiling about?”

I just shook my head, “Well you see that speech was really good. Plus I was right in my assumption that you would sound good on the air, you should be a news caster.”

Umbra raised an eyebrow, “What are you babbling about,” his voiced echoed unusually, “What the?!”

I turned my head, “You get all that Dash?”

Rainbow Dash walked out from behind a stack of speakers with a mic, “The audience was practically hanging on his every word.”

Rarity who stepped out from the shadows then flicked a switch as the stage curtains ascended to reveal a shocked and angered school.

Umbra was staring in horror at the entire gymnasium, “No…”

*

Umbra looked frantically to Scribe and the gym but regained his composure as his calculating mind formulated a strategy, “Well I had my doubts but now I have proof.”

Umbra then pointed an accusing finger at Scribe and the girls, “THESE miscreants have been trying to undermine me and this school since day one. Sure they acted all friendly but they ASSAULTED me after class hours, broke into my home, and did other unspeakable things.”

Umbra then paced on the stage, “And can you honestly blame them?! Look at the company they keep no less! Sunset Shimmer, who manipulated you all and terrorized you during her enrollment, has managed to fool you all! She purposely set me up to make the speech you heard and completely control these helpless girls. Well I for one cannot stand for this.”

The school was unmoved by the statement which caused Umbra distress as he spoke more frantically, “Oh come ON! Who are you going to believe!? Me? The guy who devoted all of his time to make school bearable and exciting for you all? Or that fiery haired demon who may I add brainwashed you all and blew up the front of the school all the while with glee.”

Flash Sentry stepped out of the crowd, “Your right Umbra, we should believe you. But there’s just one thing that bothers me.”

Umbra smiled, “And that is?”

Flash took on a knowing expression, “How exactly do you know about the details of the Fall Formal when you weren’t even enrolled here when it occurred.”

Umbra backed up like he had been struck, “Well…I was obviously told of course.”

Flash raised an eyebrow, “Really by whom?”

Umbra looked around desperately, “Uh…well…it.”

Scribe approached with the microphone in hand, “Could you please speak more into the microphone, we can’t quite here your failing scheme in all its glory clearly.”

Twilight emerged beside Flash, “You’ve lost Umbra, whatever power and hold you have over this school is gone. No one will ever believe you again.”

Umbra’s face transformed into a mask of pure rage, “YOU!”

He raised his hand and hurled Twilight into the crowd with a mere thought, “We should have done this a long time ago!”

Umbra landed on the floor and stomped over to Twilight who was regaining herself. Many students converged on the false president; but Umbra raised his hand as his body transformed into his demonic appearance.

Umbra set fire to the stage with his dark magic, “Back all of you!”

The students surged away as he loomed over Twilight with a sneer, “I’m going to enjoy this immensely-“

A ball hit him in the back of his head.

Big Macintosh and Flash Sentry stood with dodge balls in their hands, “Back away from her.”

Umbra reeled on the duo only to be pelted once more.

*

I jumped to the mic and yelled, “STUDENTS OF CANTERLOT HIGH, PROTECT OUR FRIEND!!”

The students immediately converged on the stunned demon that immediately vanished into the crowd. Soon it dispersed as the sprinkler system activated revealing the human Umbra tied up and restrained.

Umbra writhed in his bonds only to be pinned by Rainbow Dash, “Don’t even think about it.”

*

Umbra glared at the Rainbow haired youth as events of the Fall Formal played through his mind. He glanced around at the students.

Umbra then finally snapped and broke down into a fit of psychotic laughter surprising everyone, “You know something? I don’t care anymore!”

He hurled Dash from his body as he transformed once more and took flight, “This school is nothing more than a means to an end.”

He waved his arms in sweeping gesture, “And all of you are nothing more than reflections of beings far beyond your understanding, you sniveling INSECTS!”

He glanced with a bloodthirsty smile at Twilight, “And now for our star, The Princess,” the last word was laced with venomous spite, “Time to put on the show stopper!”

He swooped down in the blink of an eye and plucked Twilight from the ground as he ignited one of his claws, “Anyone follows us she FRIES!”

He looked to the group of her friends, “You all have twenty minutes to bring me what I desire to the roof. Fail and she and everyone here will die!”

He then blew open a hole in the roof and cackled as he flew out into the night sky.

*

I looked at the girls who knew what I was thinking, “We have no choice.”

I gazed at the crowd, “Thanks for dropping by tonight, also Flash thanks for convincing them.”

Flash gave me the thumbs up, “Just bring her back safety.”

I returned the gesture, “Count on it.”

*

Umbra’s red skin seemed to glow in the moonlight as he clutched Twilight in an arm hold which she began to struggle against. Umbra merely tightened his hold as his wings flapped impatiently; Twilight’s friends were going to be running late soon.

Twilight then choked out in an act of defiance, “My friends will NEVER concede to you Umbra!”

Umbra snickered, “You think so? We shall see how fast they change their tune.”

The door to the roof opened to reveal Twilight’s friends, “Speak of the devil.”

The group slowly advanced only to halt, “HOLD IT! Not. Another. Step.”

Umbra then ignited a magic bolt in his left claw, “One more step closer and she fries!”

Spike growled, “Let her go you freak.”

Umbra laughed a deep guttural laugh, “You fool! Don’t you realize I hold the ace!?”

Rarity produced the element of magic, “We brought the Element of Magic as you asked, now release Twilight
immediately!”

Umbra laughed again as he casually tapped his chin, “Give me the Element first.”

Applejack growled in anger, “Give us our friend first!”

Umbra then realized something, “Actually how about this,” he then swiftly grasped the back of Twilight's dress and tipped her over the edge of the roof; “You have until the count of ten to give me the element of harmony. If you still refuse than a princess goes splat in the night.”

Sunset stepped forward, “Please, don’t do this.”

Umbra thought for a moment, “One.”

All present widened their eyes in fear, “Two.”

Umbra then took on an annoyed tone and frustrated expression, “NINE.”

Rainbow then yelled out, “WAIT!!”

Umbra froze then noticed Rainbow gesture somberly to Rarity who then threw the element of magic toward the demonic boy. Umbra plucked it from the air with malicious glee.

Umbra than threw Twilight toward her friends who caught her, “A deals a deal.”

Umbra than widened his eyes in greed, “Oh my old friend, it’s so good to see you again after all this time,” Umbra than threw back his head and cackled in absolute malicious joy.

*

I turned to the girls, “I don’t mean to be that guy right now, but does anyone have a plan b?”

*

Umbra then opened his hand as the Element of Magic became encased in an orb of corrupted energy, “There we go, safe and sound.”

Umbra then scratched his chin, “This seems so familiar does it not Sunset?”

Sunset refused to meet his eyes as he continued to taunt the group, “Yes, we remember clearly on that night we ascended to a higher form of power. Yes, yes we remember.”

Umbra pointed at the group where they stood, “You were all standing there, just like that. And we stood here, right here and we said,” his voice then transformed into an exact replica of Sunset’s when she had taken on the same demonic visage Umbra now wore, “I jumped through so many hoops tonight just to get my hands on this crown!”

The girls became horrified as a vision of the Fall Formal’s events played out before them in unison with Umbra, “And it really should have been mine all along!”

Umbra flew into the air as his voice transitioned back to his original one, “But let’s let bygones, be bygones. I AM YOUR LORD NOW!”

Umbra smiled in nostalgia, “Ah memories.”

Pinkie Pie pointed to the demon boy, “But Sunset said Princess.”

Umbra fixed her with a scathing glare, “Silence you pink annoyance!”

Pinkie Pie shrank back as Umbra noticed Twilight’s confusion, “Oh you’re wondering why I didn’t put on the element? Simple, did you think we would fall for the same trick twice?”

Umbra then landed a few feet from the group who backed up, “Now I am a reasonable lord and a merciful one at that so I shall give you all one final choice. Give me Twilight Sparkle and I shall spare all on this world, refuse and you’ll find THAT choice a regrettable one.”

Twilight looked at her friend’s then out at the skyline of the city, “Alright.”

All present except Umbra yelled, “WHAT!?”

Twilight stepped forward, “I will not allow innocent lives to be destroyed because of me. Umbra, do your worst. But know this, no matter what you say or do the people and others will resist you with every fiber of their being. You will never succeed as long as there is hope and unity in the hearts of many!”

Umbra laughed which brought a tear to his eye which he wiped away, “Oh that’s rich, very well then Princess Twilight Sparkle. Step forward and receive your punishment.”

Twilight stepped forward as Umbra savored the moment. He raised his claw only to cease movement; Sunset had stepped in front of Twilight with her arms spread wide.

Umbra’s eye widened in shock and rage, “YOU!?”

Sunset then proclaimed, “If you want her, you have to get through me.”

Umbra visibly hesitated but sneered, “Very well.”

The moment seemed to move in slow motion. Umbra raised his claw skyward as a ball of fire began to churn and grow in his palm. Twilight braced herself while her friends cried out for both girls to run. Then Umbra’s eyes widened in utter shock as he rocked backwards slightly from an unseen force that collided with his front. Everyone’s eyes widened in shock.

*

I blinked in astonishment, “Is she?”

Rarity nodded slowly, “Yes.”

I shook my head, “Why?”

*

Umbra looked down, “What!?”

Sunset was hugging the demon, much to his shock and anger.

Umbra was about to bring his hand down when the spell extinguished on its own, “What are you doing?!”

Sunset looked up at Umbra with pity, “Giving you something.”

Umbra’s demonic appearance vanished immediately revealing his original form, “No.”

Sunset shut her eyes, “I’m so sorry.”

Umbra then twitched in pain, “Stop! Let go of me at once!!”

Sunset held firm as Umbra continued to struggle, “What are you doing to me…it hurts.”

All the people present then saw something that they thought would never occur, Umbra was crying.

Sunset looked at her darker half, “What you’re feeling is remorse and sadness for what you’ve done.”

Umbra felt the cold sensation sting his very being deeper than anything, “I don’t like it, make it stop,” he then looked at her with anguished and pleading eyes, “Please…”

Sunset smiled, “It will be okay.”

Umbra’s eyes then widened in surprise, “What...what am I feeling? It’s warm and…my heart it’s beating.”

Sunset nodded, “Does it also feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders?”

Umbra slowly nodded, “And it feels like my spirit is filled with…light.”

Sunset lost her grip slightly as Umbra fell to his knees and gazed at the sky and cried out in confusion and anguish, “WHAT IS THIS!?”

Sunset hugged him once more, “It’s the magic of friendship, something I should have had a long time ago.”

Umbra stared at her in surprise, “Friendship?”

Sunset squeezed him tighter, “We’re not alone, not anymore.”

Umbra blinked with fresh tears in his eyes, “I-I.”

Umbra then hugged the girl tight and wept in happiness.

Sunset fought back tears, “I hated myself and others. I spent my life in darkness and pushed others away from me, two worlds felt my anger and rage. But then Twilight showed me the same power I am giving you now, I never had to be alone. Everyone deserves a second chance and a chance at friendship.”

Umbra was smiling sadly as he cried, “I-I’m sorry. For all I did.”

Sunset then wept with him, “So am I, every waking moment I regret everything I did.”

Umbra then stood quickly and walked away from her tears streaming down his face as he threw the element to the girls, “Take it. I don’t deserve it.”

Twilight stepped forward and raised a heartfelt hand, “Come with us Umbra, you have a whole school that I think will like to meet the new you.”

Umbra turned and gave a small smile; he too raised his hand but recoiled in absolute agony. He clutched his head and cried out in pain as he dropped to his knees.

*

I ran to Twilight, “What’s wrong with him?”

Twilight had a look of sadness and shock upon her face, “He’s a creature of darkness that has just been filled with light and emotions he’s never felt before. His body can’t handle it; h-he’s breaking down.”

I then noticed that the mark upon Umbra’s shirt had turned white with silver edges, his hair then lightened in color as a familiar series of streaks appeared.

*

Sunset got down to eye level with him, “U-Umbra?”

Umbra placed his hands on her shoulders, “Sunset promise me you’ll live a happy life and never look upon me as I once was. Now go.”

Sunset stood reluctantly but stayed only for Umbra to yell out in pained anguish, “LEAVE ME BE!!!”

The girls backed up as Umbra smiled at them one last time, “Scribe, take care of her and all of you please help them be happy. And Twilight,” Twilight nodded with tears in her eyes, “If circumstances had been different I would be honored to call you, and you all my friends.”

Umbra then began to break up into sparkles as he spoke two words that lingered on the wind, “Thank you.”

*

I went back to the roof and retrieved the one thing that didn’t fade away, Umbra’s coat. We all walked back into the gym to cheers which soon died down when they saw our expressions. I placed the coat upon the stage as I took the mic.

I cleared my throat, “Students of Canterlot High, you have all seen and witnessed things and monsters last year and now this year. But know that Umbra Glare was not a complete monster; his heart was merely tainted, corrupted by darkness and jealousy. Sunset Shimmer showed him the same magic that my friend Twilight gave her that faithful night you all remember. But now I ask you that when you think of Umbra, think of Sunset as she is now and as we saw him. A kind and funny person, in the end he truly had a heart.”

All the students stood in silence, but soon applause began. I smiled as Sunset hugged me from the side and she kissed me on the cheek. We both than realized that the school was making ooh’s and slight mocking tones at the display.

I was flustered as I spoke once more, “Oh grow up!”