• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 3,372 Views, 86 Comments

Hitting The Books - CrypticMetaphor



When a writer from Earth ends up in Canterlot High will he survive the horrors he has endured once before?

  • ...
25
 86
 3,372

Chapter 9- The World

I was astounded by the news I was given, “Um, I’m sorry what?”

Twilight sighed, “I said that we’re going on a hike tomorrow since it’s a staff holiday and we wanted to know if you wanted to come along.”

I gazed at the girls, “Uh I’m not one to experience…nature.”

Rarity clapped as she stood beside me, “Finally a likeminded individual, I say we just all see a movie.”

Applejack shook her head, “Rare we all out voted that idea and we’re all prepared already.”

Sunset gestured to me and Rarity, “But I don’t think we should force them if they don’t want to go.”

A voice startled us immediately, “Going where?”

We all whipped around to reveal a smiling Umbra leaning casually against a tree, “Sounds interesting, what’s the occasion?”

Sunset seemed to back up in…fear?

I looked at Umbra, “I mean no insult dude, but’s it’s really none of your business.”

Umbra raised an eyebrow, “Alright, fine. Have fun.”

As Umbra departed I picked up a slight hint of frustration in the last statement or was it annoyance? Regardless I had a back and forth with the group and Rarity until eventually the fashionista and I conceded abet reluctantly. We all agreed to meet at Rainbow’s house in the morning, but we were surprised at Applejack’s little sister bumped into us with her friends passing out flyers.

I read one after thanking the girls, “Canterlot High present’s a new sensational dance this coming month. To shake things up, the Fall Formal has been converted at the insistence of Principal Celestia into a Masquerade Ball known as The Masque of Fall. Public attendance is optional if accompanied by a student or donation.”

My face lit up.

Rarity glanced at me, “Scribe, I never took you as a man of class.”

I shook my head, “I’m not, but I’ve always wanted to dress up for and attend a Masquerade ball!”

Sunset was beaming as well, “Wow, I’ve missed this.”

I looked in surprise at her, “You’ve been before?”

Sunset smiled as she reminisced, “A long time ago.”

I glanced to the side and nodded, “Alright Rainbow I’ll be home later, I have some things I have to do.”

Rainbow nodded, “Okay dude, don’t be too long though.”

*

Mr. Discord was preparing to depart when a knock on his door caused him to open it, “Yes, Oh Scribe hello.”

Scribe smiled, “Do you have a couple of minutes?”

*

I sat on the odd red couch as Mr. Discord pulled out his pen and paper, “Alright Scribe, tell me what’s on your mind.”

I sighed, “Well a lot of stuff. I’m concerned about how everyone back home is doing and if they miss me at all.”

Discord nodded, “Sounds like a bit of home sickness.”

I laughed a bit, “Oh you don’t know the half of it.”

Discord leaned forward, “But that’s not the only reason you’re here is it?”

I shook my head, “No it’s not, you know Umbra Glare right? I think he’s bad news but at the same time he’s a nice guy and all, there’s just something about him.”

Discord leaned back, “You feel threatened?”

I waved my hand, “No it’s just…did you know he seems to be around whenever Sunset’s in an area? I mean he probably likes her and all but it’s just mildly unsettling how he pops up out of nowhere. Hell she even hung out with the guy before I even got here and she still does, and for some reason it drives me crazy! People aren’t this protective with their friends.”

Discord nodded, “Your right, they aren’t. You want to know what I think.”

I nodded, “Please.”

Discord smiled lightly, “I think you might have feelings for Sunset.”

I tensed up, “What!? No that’s absurd.”

Discord nodded, “No it’s true, and I’ve seen this before. You have feelings for her but either it’s you being in denial on the fact or another factor is making you question your own feelings.”

I thought of one, “It’s just…”

Discord raised an eyebrow, “Just?”

I shook my head, “It’s just complicated.”

Discord grinned, “Most high school romances are.”

I stood up and ignored the comment, “Thanks for the help.”

Discord nodded to the door, “My doors always open.”

*

That night Sunset Shimmer was tossing and turning in her sleep. Visions of her old ways invaded her mind, specifically the Fall Formal and the day she left Equestria.

Sunset glared at Celestia, “But I’m ready for the next stage, why do you keep refusing me?! I’ve excelled in my studies and you’ve even told me I’m a veritable prodigy. So teach me the next level!

Celestia shook her head, “Sunset Shimmer you must understand my view on this. True you are a prodigy and you have indeed excelled in your studies faster than I ever thought possible. But you’re not PREPARED to wield the power-“

Sunset spat out her angry response, “How dare you! I handled everything you’ve thrown at me and I’ve prepared for this all my life! No one else has ever interfered in anything I’ve done, so what’s the problem?! HUH!”

Celestia sadly bowed her head, “That’s just it. You have not yet experienced one of the most powerful magic’s in Equestria and I see now that it has corrupted your mind, your still so young and-“

Sunset heard enough, “AND YOU’RE AN OLD MARE AND A FOOL!!!!”

Celestia became hurt but Sunset took no notice as she turned to leave, “I’ll get what I want without you and your help!”

The door slam echoed throughout the throne room like a bell being struck.

Sunset awoke in a cold sweat and hugged her knees to her chest and cried, “I’m sorry.”

*

I stood on threshold of the nature trail with the girls who were instant on waiting longer, “Who are we waiting for exactly?”

A black muscle car pulled up as Flash Sentry clambered out, “Hey sorry I’m late, had to grab a few things.”

Twilight smiled, “No problem. Alright now that everyone’s here lets head out!”

Spike stuck his head out of her bag, “Did you remember to pack the sunglasses?”

Twilight produced a pair and handed them to Spike who donned them and sat back, “Alright, fun in the sun.”

We then began our hike. I had asked where the idea had come from and Rainbow said it would be good for bonding with each other, that and an excuse for Dash to beat us to the top of each hill we raced up. We were all relatively silent during the earlier portions of the hike but eventually we began to chat it up. Many jokes were shared and stories that I never thought that the group would be involved in were told to me with much surprise and respect.

I looked over at Dash as she took a bite out of a sports bar, “So you actually beat Twilight at soccer all by yourself?”

She nodded with a grin, “Granted that wasn’t the point, but she put up a good fight.”

Twilight smiled at the compliment, “Hey Scribe do you have any stories to tell?”

I shrugged, “Not really worth mentioning. I haven’t really done anything interesting.”

Flash shook his head, “Come on dude, there has to be something.”

Applejack nodded with a sly smile, “Yeah like your first girlfriend…or something.”

I laughed, “Sure I’ll let you know when I get one.”

Pinkie Pie gasped, “What?! You’ve never had a girlfriend?”

I shook my head, “Not really, never saw the need for one.”

Rarity caught up and matched step with me immediately, “Scribe that’s the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever heard. Everyone needs someone to call their own, it gives them something to look forward to when there hard day is over.”

Pinkie smiled as she too fell in beside me, “Someone to have fun with!”

Applejack followed their lead, “Someone to share your secret’s with.”

Twilight and Flash joined in, “And someone to share in your own world and to love.”

Fluttershy nodded in agreement, “Everyone’s world should be shared.”

I shook my head as they came to a stop and I turned to look at them, “Not my world, it’s something that no one should see. It’s frightening and at times confusing, only I understand it.”

Sunset stepped forward, “But don’t you get lonely.”

I shook my head as a familiar feeling over took me, “I know the sound of each rock and stone. And I embrace what others fear,” I point a thumb at my chest, “You are not to roam in this forgotten place, just the likes of me are welcome here.”

I walked into a large clearing gesturing around as the group followed, “Everything breathes and I know each breath, for me it means life for others it's death. It's perfectly balanced, perfectly planned, more than enough for this man.”

I came back onto a trail and placed my hand upon a tree, “Like every tree stands on its own, reaching for the sky I stand alone. I share my world with no one else. All by myself I stand alone.”

*

The group looked around for Scribe having lost him after the trail. Twilight then heard some odd sort of call which they followed to a steep hill that needed to be scaled with makeshift foot holds. They looked up and saw Scribe gazing at the sky. Applejack was the first to climb up but almost lost her footing.

Scribe grabbed her hand and stared into her eyes, “I've seen your world with these very eyes don't come any closer, don't even try!”

The group managed to reach the top as Scribe stood near the far edge.

*

I glanced behind myself and took in the group, “I've felt all the pain and heard all the lies, but in my world there's no compromise!”

I then jumped down onto a dirt slope which a slid down on my shoes laughing as the group joined me, “Like every tree stands on its own, reaching for the sky I stand alone. I share my world with no one else. All by myself I stand alone.”

I ran up the nearest hill as the group joined in the friendly foot race, “All by myself I stand alone,” I reached the summit and proclaimed powerfully to all who could hear, “ALL BY MYSELF, I STAND…ALONE!

The group was panting by the time I turned around and fell on my back, “Well did that clear things up for you?”

Applejack chuckled, “Ah suppose.”

I looked out at the city below, “Man this is a great view.”

The group joined me in earnest as Twilight smiled, “It is isn’t it?”

*

The next day at school I guess you could say is when things started getting serious. I was walking to my last class of the day when I turned and noticed a small hallway that had no light bulbs active. I noticed that one of the lockers was swaying open, normally o would walk on but I had time. So I approached and shut the door and jumped in surprise as I stared at a smiling Umbra who was leaning on the locker directly beside me.

Umbra maintained his smile, “Hey Scribe, how’s it going?”

I glanced around, “Fine…I guess. What’s up?”

Umbra’s smile vanished as he paced in front of me, “Well you see Scribe I wanted to talk to you about something.”

I nodded slowly, “Okay shoot.”

Umbra stood in front of me, “Well you see Scribe I like you. You’re a funny guy and a pretty friendly person.”

I was slightly uncomfortable at that, “Thanks.”

Umbra nodded, “In saying that though, you’re sort of in the way.”

I stepped back, “Excuse me?”

Umbra’s usual demeanor seemed to vanish, “You see I like Sunset as more than a friend and at first you and your friends hanging out with her was nothing. But now it’s starting to get on my nerves because you all seem to show up where you’re not wanted.”

I narrowed my eyes, “Well excuse us for spending time with her. She’s not your property you know.”

Umbra also narrowed his eyes, “Oh no, she’s more than that and I think it would be better for you and those girls to step off. Trust me when I say that making me an enemy is something you don’t want.”

I stepped forward with clenched fists, “I don’t take idly to threats.”

Umbra grabbed me by the scruff of my shirt and lifted me up with a cold glare, “See that’s the thing, I don’t deal in threats I deal in facts. The fact of the matter is that if you and your friends keep getting in my way I WILL and CAN make your lives here a living nightmare from which you shall never awake from.”

I returned his glare with one of my own, “I’m not afraid of you, you pompous jackass.”

Umbra sneered at that, “Well I can remedy that really fast Cryptic or should I call you the protector?”

My eyes widened, “How-“

Umbra threw me to the ground hard, “I have my methods. Now since I am a merciful man, I’m offering you one chance. Stop getting in my way of Sunset and I’ll leave you and your friends alone, refuse my offer and let’s just say accidents tend to happen in a school such as this.”

I spat back at him in anger, “Over my dead body.”

Umbra glared one last time, “Have it your way then.”

He left me lying upon the floor in a mixture of anger and fear. I immediately ran off to warn the girls.