• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 10,705 Views, 595 Comments

The Angel of Equestria - Robobrony



A winged human has come to Equestria and pledged his loyalty to the princesses.

  • ...
54
 595
 10,705

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Charles was in the hospital for two days to recover, in those two days, Twilight came by and stayed with him to teach him about Equestria and its society. She taught him about all the different creatures that exist, the different towns, which Charles thought it odd that some of the names of the town were strangely similar to the cities on earth, and about relationships. Charles also thought it odd that they did the whole herdship thing. Appearantly, because of there being more mares in Ponyville than stallions, or in a few other towns, it was perfectly acceptable for a stallion to have more than one mare friend.

It was also an interesting talk when money came up. Twilight thought it weird that humans used rectangular green paper with numbers for money and he thought it weird that the ponies used gold coins for currency. Twilight was intrigued that gold was considered very valuable on earth. During his time in the hospital, he also always had a visit from the other ponies he saved. On the second day of his hospitalization, Rarity came by with a new set of clothes for him. Since she thought his original clothing was rather dashing, she was inspired to make him something similar for him so as to keep up his taste in clothes.

Charles’s original coat was ripped up bad from the timberwolfs, but Rarity was able to repair it. The new set of clothes she made for him was a red over coat with a grey T-shirt and dark blue jeans with a new pair of black shoes. She, of course, remembered to make holes in the back of the shirt and jacket for his wings to fit through. Once Charles was free from the hospital, he tried on his new duds and was quite pleased with them. “Well Charles, what do you think of your new clothes?” Rarity asked after he put them on.

“They…fit great, um, thank you….Rarity.” Charles was still having a bit of trouble understanding the fact that these ponies were genuinely being nice to him and helping him.

“You’re welcome darling, I’m glad you like it.” Rarity said with a prideful smile.
Charles then turned to Twilight. “So where’s my staff at?”

“It’s still in its twin sword form, the captain is holding on to it for you, you can swing by and get whenever you want. I can take you there if you want?” Twilight informed with another smile.

“That won’t be necessary, I can find the office from the sky.”

“Ok, well, I can at least take your old clothes back to the library if you want?”

“Fine, I don’t have anything to carry them in anyway, so thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” The three then made their way out of the hospital.

Upon exiting, they were met with the site of Shadow Fang walking past with Black Cloud following him. Shadow Fang stopped and looked at Charles. “So, you are finally out of hospital. For one who is supposed to be tuff, you sure take long time to heal. Tell me, are all humans weak like you?”

Charles glared at Shadow. “I’ll have you know that I am the strongest human alive.”

“Is so, then I weep for humans. Please excuse.” Shadow fang then walked off.

Once he was out of ear shot, Charles spoke. “Sheesh, what’s his problem, you two aren’t friends with HIM are you?”

“Not even Pinkie Pie is friends with him.” Twilight Stated.

“And she’s friends with every pony.” Rarity added.

“Your different.” Charles and the two mares looked at Black Cloud who, apparently, didn’t leave with Shadow Fang. He had a smile on his face.

“Excuse me?” Charles said as he looked at Black cloud.

Black Cloud spoke again. “You’re different like me.” He then just flew off to catch up to Shadow Fang.

“OK, and what is up with that one?” Charles asked the mares as he pointed a finger at Black Cloud as he flew off.

Twilight informed. “Black Cloud is a thestral, a bat pony. Not a lot of the citizens here are fond of him. He just seems to creep every pony out.”

Rarity then chimed in. “He seems to have quite the affinity for fire, and, from what it looks like, he may be looking up to you.”

Charles gave Rarity a confused look. “Why?”

Twilight took a guess. “Maybe because you both are a different species.”

“Whatever, look, I should get going, I want to get my weapon back.”

Twilight then stopped him before he flew off. “Charles, before you go, I wanted to ask you something.”

He turned to Twilight. “Yeah?”

“I told the others about the music you shared with me and Fluttershy and they would like to hear some of your music too, if you don’t mind that is.”

“I really would like to hear this music Twilight has been raving about. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to perform a song for all of us?” Rarity asked as she batted her eye lashes.

“I….guess I could do that, sure, just not today, let me see if the captain wants me to start my duties.” Charles answered.

“Great, I’ll meet you back at the library later then. See you, and thanks for agreeing to play for my friends.” Twilight smiled big and made for her home.

“I can’t wait to hear this music you play darling. See you later.” Rarity said before trotting off.
Charles then took to the air, flapping his wings, and flew above Ponyville, he scanned the town from high above to spot town hall, once he located it, he took off for it and landed just in front. He made his way in and to captain Thrash’s office. “Captain Lightning Thrash, sir.” Charles said to get his attention.

“Charles, good to see you out and about, I trust you’re feeling better then?” Thrash said.

“Yes sir, I came to retrieve my weapons and see if you needed me on duty today, since I was late reporting in when I was supposed to.” Charles saw his two swords leaning in a corner near the door.

“Of course, go ahead and take them, and no, I won’t be needing you today, you did just get out of the hospital after all didn’t you?”

Charles picked up his swords, put the ends together and turned them back into his staff. “I did sir, but I feel fine. I can work today if you need me.” He then put his staff back on his back.

“Eager to get to work huh, well I say you still need another day to relax, take the day and do whatever. You can report in tomorrow.”

Charles wasn’t sure what he could do today, most of the time back on earth, all he did was just try to survive. But now, here he is in a world that is actually accepting of him and he doesn’t have to be on the run all the time. What was he going to do with his day off, it was still early in the morning. “Uh, yes sir, thank you.” Charles then turned and left. Upon exiting the building, he took to the skies and flew to Twilight’s place.

Along the way, he remembered something he saw when Twilight was leading him around town, a Pegasus was pushing a cloud. He remembered Twilight telling him that Pegasus ponies are capable of moving clouds, and because of this can control the weather. He figured that if they can move clouds around like they were solid, maybe he could stand on one too. “Might as well give it a shot.” He flew up to a stray cloud and eyed it carefully first. He came closer and decided to see if his hand would go through it or not.

He brought his left hand forward, hovered it over the cloud, then brought it up and slammed it down. To his surprise, the cloud burst with a poof. “WHOA, didn’t expect that, maybe I should try a softer touch if I want to see if I can actually stand on it.” He found another cloud and used his right hand again, this time he just placed it on the cloud. This time, the cloud felt solid but soft at the same time. “Huh, ok, so I can touch them, guess that means I can sit on them too.” He then positioned himself above the cloud and gently lowered himself on it. Again to his surprise, he was actually standing on it. “HAH, how about that.” He exclaimed in delight.

Charles tested it further by jumping up and down. “What do ya know, never thought I’d see the day I’d be walking on clouds.” He stopped jumping and sat down with his legs crossed. He felt the cloud over with his hands. “This is kinda nice. This thing is so soft.” Feeling such comfort, he then laid down with his wings spread out, stretched out his legs and jut looked up at the blue sky. “Maybe this place isn’t so bad after all, the more I think about it, the more I realize I can’t find anything wrong here. MOST of the ponies are nice, I haven’t been made fun of, except for Lt Shadow Fang, no one has tried to beat me or chase me away or anything. Can I really be happy here, have I really found a place where I can finally relax?”

Charles actually had time to himself to think. It was then he remembered what those six ponies said to him.

Fluttershy then chimed in. “Charles, if you don’t mind me saying, maybe it’s time you let go of the past and forget about what happened….if that’s all right.”

Pinkie agreed. “Yeah, it was your parents that did all that mean stuff to you, not others.”

Rarity then chimed in. “From what we can understand about what you said, it was your parents that did what they did to you, no pony else is responsible.”

Rainbow then spoke up. “Yeah, just forget those jerks and move on.”

“Charles.” Twilight called to him to get his attention. Charles turned to meet her gaze only to see the sweetest smile Twilight could give. “I promise we’ll be there for you when you need us, you can trust us.”

Pinkie spoke again. “We Pinkie promise.” Then all together they chanted. “Cross our hearts and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in our eye.” As they said this, they made an x over their hearts, flapped their forelegs like wings, then placed a hoof over one of their eyes.

Charles just looked at them with a raised eyebrow. Pinkie explained. “That was a Pinkie Promise.”

Rarity added. “And no pony breaks a Pinkie promise.”

“So no matter what, if you need us for anything, we’ll be there for you.” Rainbow said with a smile.

“They practically made a vow to me to be there for me. What they said, they’re right, it was all my parents fault.” Charles said to himself. “My parents, it is all their fault, it’s their fault I ended up like this, it’s their fault I became an outcast and feared by others.” Charles said as he started to scowl. He then sat up. “Maybe it is time I let go of the past. Maybe it is time I just forget about them and try to move on with my life. I don’t know if I can though, all I’ve ever done is just try to survive and run. So what do I do in a world where I don’t have to worry about running and there are actually others willing to help me? I guess I should just try and put my trust in others, mainly in those six who made such a promise to me.” With his mind made up, he left the cloud and headed to Twilight’s.

He landed in front of the door and opened it to step in. “Twilight, you here?!” He called out.

“Hey Charles, welcome back.” Twilight said as she came down from her room.

“Twilight, there’s…….something I want to talk to you about.” Charles said carefully.

“Of course Charles, you can talk to me about anything, remember that promise me and my friends made to you?”

“Yeah, I remember, which is what I want to talk to you about.” He began to form the words in his head before speaking. “Look, I thought about what you and the others said and…….well…….I guess I am willing to TRY and put my trust in you all and come to you if I need help with anything.”

“Really…..you are….that’s great Charles, I promise you won’t be disappointed.” She said with an even bigger smile.

“Now look, don’t go thinking this makes us friends, I’m still unsure about this whole friendship thing, so for now, this is where we stand, if I need anything, I can count on you, but we are not friends……yet. You and the others were right when you said I need to let go of the past and move on, but it isn’t easy for me since I pretty much held on to it for so long. So for now, that’s all I can offer.”

Twilight kept her smile. “That’s fine Charles, but believe it or not, helping others is what friends do. You may not want to admit it yet, but we are friends.”

“Then believe what you want, but I’m not changing my mind about this, at least not yet.”

“I can wait.”

“Say, where’s Spike at by the way?” He asked when he didn’t see Spike around the library.

“He’s out helping Rarity with collecting gems, she has a spell that helps her locate deposits of gemstones. I swear, that dragon has such a cute little crush on her.” Twilight informed.

“Does…..she like him back?” He asked with intrigue.

“No, she knows he has a crush on her but he’s too young to be in a relationship, it’s just a silly little crush.” Twilight giggled a little.

“I see.”

Charles then wasn’t sure what to say from here, after a an awkward moment for him, Twilight broke the silence. “OH, before I forget, I got you a dresser while you were in the hospital and put it in your room. Your old clothes are sitting on top of it with your badge.”

“You got me a dresser?” Charles asked in a bit of shock. “When am I going to learn, these ponies just keep up with all this kindness, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprise she did that for me.” “Thank you Twilight.” Was all he could say.

“You’re welcome, you’re going to need one if Rarity is going to make you some clothing. By the way, since you have the day free, what are you going to do?”

“I….don’t know, I’ve never really had such free time before, what is there to do around here?” He asked.

“Why don’t you just take a walk around town and get to know the place better?” Twilight suggested.

“I guess I could do that, I’ll just grab my badge just in case.” Charles then went to his room, upon entering, he saw a wooden dresser against the wall opposite his bed with his old clothes sitting on top and his shoes next to it on the floor. His badge was sitting next to his folded jacket, shirt, and pants. He grabbed it, put it in his pocket, and headed out after saying good bye to Twilight.

Charles wandered around town aimlessly, as he did, he noticed something different around him. First was that no pony was looking at him strangely, but rather with smiles, like they were happy to see him. “Must be because of how I saved those six ponies. I guess they must be used to me already.” Another thing he started to notice were some of the mares he crossed seemed to be admiring him as well. They looked at him in such a way he could swear they were thinking ‘my isn’t he handsome’ or something like that. “Ok, that’s a little weird, I don’t know what to make of that. Still, if I do manage to get over my inner demons, I may want to try and finally settle down with some girl, or in this case, some mare, some of these maress are quite pretty.”

As he continued on, he heard a familiar voice call out to him. “CHARLES!”

He turned around and saw Spike running towards him with a look of sheer panic plastered on his face. “Spike?”

Spike ran up to him and tried to talk but was panting heavily in a panic. “Charles……dogs…..rarity…..trouble!” he said between breaths.

“Woa there Spike, slow down, take a minute to catch your breath and then tell me what has you so panicked.”

Spike simply nodded and took a minute to catch his breath.

Once Charles saw Spike had stopped panting, he asked. “Now tell me, what has you so panicked?”

Spike began. “Rarity and me were out collecting gems when these creepy guys showed up calling themselves the diamond dogs, they took Rarity and ran off.”

“Diamond dogs?” Charles asked curiously, then thought about the different species he learned about from Twilight, diamond dogs were canine like bi-pedal creatures who were greedy for gems. It was then that he remembered Twilight mentioning earlier that Rarity knew a spell for finding gems. He put two and two together and figured it out. “Where did they take here?” Charles asked with authority.

“I’ll show you, come on.” Spike then led the way to the location Rarity was taken.

“So much for my day off.”

Author's Note:

It's about time I'm getting to some action, I have dragged this out for too long with hardly any action in this story, so in the next chapter, things are going to heat up. Pinkie promise. :pinkiehappy: