• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 10,705 Views, 595 Comments

The Angel of Equestria - Robobrony



A winged human has come to Equestria and pledged his loyalty to the princesses.

  • ...
54
 595
 10,705

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

As Twilight led Charles away from town hall, she had no idea she was being watched by a mysterious pink pony from a distance. One could only guess what was going through this pink mares mind as she eyed the mysterious new being that has appeared in Ponyville.

Twilight decided to Take Charles to Sugarcube Corner to introduce Charles to the friendliest pony she knows. Along the way, Charles decided to take this opportunity to ask Twilight about the marks on every ponys flanks. “Twilight, I have to ask you something that has been bugging me for a while now.”

Twilight craned her neck to face Charles while still walking. “What is it, you can ask me anything.”

“What’s with the marks on every ones backside?”

“OH, you must mean our cutie marks.” Twilight happily answered.

Charles raised an eyebrow at her answer. “Cutie marks, you’re kidding right?”

“I assure you it’s no joke, the marks on every ponies flanks are called cutie marks, a young pony earns a cutie mark whenever they discover their special talent, the mark represents what their special talent is. Mine represents my talent with magic.”

Charles, satisfied with this answer, gave a simple ‘huh’ and continued to follow Twilight. The pair soon arrived at their destination and Charles was once again in a bit of awe at the wonders of this new world. The building Twilight led him to looked like a giant ginger bread house. There were giant candy canes on the corners of the building, frosting on the roof, and peppermints on the walls. “You have GOT to be kidding me.” Charles said out loud.

Twilight looked to him again “What is it?”

“This place looks like something from a fairy tale land…..” Charles stopped himself there, after some thought, he realized he pretty much was in a fairy tale land with colorful magical talking ponies that could fly and use magic. After that thought, he decided to dismiss his previous thought. “Never mind, so what is this place anyway?”

“This is Sugarcube Corner, Ponyville’s number one bakery shop. This is where one of my best friends live and work. The place is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Cake. I’ll introduce you.” Twilight said happily.

The two just made their way into the shop. Upon opening the door, a small bell rang to inform the owners of customers. “Good day, and welcome to sugar cube corner.” A mares voice greeted. “Twilight, how good to see you, how are you this……oh my.” The mare stopped upon seeing Charles.

Charles looked at the mare behind a glass case with baked goods on display that served as the counter as well. She was a chubby looking, blue coated mare with a yellow apron with pink frills on the shoulder straps. Her mane and tail were swirled like ice cream on an ice cream cone and was Pink with light pink highlights in them. Her cutie mark was of three cupcakes with pink frosting.

Twilight greeted the mare. “Good day Mrs. Cake, this is Charles, he’s new to Ponyville and is a new member of the royal guard of Ponyville here. Charles, this is Mrs. Cake.”

Mrs. Cake came around from behind the counter to meet Charles. “Well…..hello there, it’s nice to meet you Charles.”

“Hello.” Was his only response.

“Honey bun, is some pony there?” A males voice sounded from beyond the archway that led to the kitchen. A lanky looking stallion came out from the kitchen to see what was going on.

Mrs. Cake turned around to address the new comer. “Dear, Twilight is here with a new friend.”

The stallion had a yellow coat with a paper hat colored red with white on the bottom, he was wearing a white apron, his mane and tail was cut short and colored orange. His cutie mark was of three slices of cake. He came up to Mrs. Cake and looked at the new guest. “Oh my, well hello there son, any friend of Twilight’s is always welcome here. I’m Carrot Cake, this is my wife Cup Cake.”

“Nice to meet you.” Charles kept his greeting short.

“Well, I was wondering if Pinkie Pie was around. Is she here?” Twilight asked.

“Sorry dear, but we haven’t seen her since this morning, we don’t know where she is.” Cup Cake answered.

“Knowing her, she probably already knows about Charles being here, it’s only a matter of time before she shows up I suppose.” Twilight said.

“Well we haven’t heard her mention anything about making a party yet.” Carrot Cake said.

“So Twilight, I don’t suppose your new friend here could use a nice treat to snack on?” Mrs. Cake offered.

Twilight turned to Charles. “What do you say Charles, want something to eat?”

“It’s our treat dear boy, you look like you could use something.” Mr. Cake said jokingly.

“No thanks.” Charles, once again, simply answered.

“Oh come now deary, surely you must like to have something to snack on, we won’t take no for an answer.” Mrs. Cake said with a cheery smile.

Charles was at a loss for words at the moment, these ponies were being so nice and insistant, then again so has the other ponies he met so far, including the other ponies in the guard he would be working with. “Well, I suppose I could use something.” He answered carefully. “I don’t suppose you have doughnuts here do you?”

The cakes looked at each other with a smile. They looked back at Charles and Mr. Cake started. “What kind would you like, glazed, chocolate covered, sprinkled, we have all kinds.”

“Chocolate with sprinkles has always been my favorite.” Charles answered.

Twilight was feeling glad that this meeting was going so well, maybe with more acts of kindness like this, he would open up more and not feel so distrusting. “One chocolate with sprinkles coming up.” Mrs. Cake said, then went to the back to get the requested pastry. A moment later, she returned with a small bag of a few doughnuts Charles asked for in her mouth. She let Charles take it from her and spoke. “Here you go deary, think of it as a welcoming gift.”

Charles looked in the bag and saw five of the doughnuts he asked for. “These are all for me?” He was confused by the act of kindness.

“Of course son. Like we said, think of it as a welcoming gift.” Mr. Cake said.

“Um……thank you.” Charles said.

“You’re welcome, come by anytime.” Mrs. Cake said with a smile.

Mr. Cake then turned to Twilight. “Would you like anything Twilight?” He asked.

Twilight simply answered. “No thank you, but thanks for the offer, we should probably get going.”

While this exchange was going on, Charles took out one of the doughnuts and took his first bite. “These are…..really good, uh, thanks again Mr. and Mrs. Cake.” He said carefully again, then continued to chow down on his first doughnut.

“You’re welcome dear, you have a good day now.” Mrs. Cake said.

With his bag of doughnuts in hand, Charles followed Twilight out. “Well?” Twilight asked Charles as they walked away from the bakery.

“Well what?” Charles asked through a mouthful of doughnut.

Twilight chuckled at his enjoyment of the confectionary delights he was gifted with. “Weren’t they nice, they did give you free doughnuts. If they thought of you as a monster, do you think they would have given you those doughnuts you’re eating?”

“Well I…..” Charles stopped, he had to really think about it, but no matter how hard he tried, he saw that Twilight was right, no way they would have been so nice to him like that if they saw him as a monster or freak. He swallowed his bite before speaking. “They were just……..well…..never mind, where are we going next.”

Twilight smiled big, she won this fight, she was able to show him not all ponies are bad. “We’re going to another friend of mine, her name is Rarity, shes the town’s local dress maker.”

“A dress maker, great, just great. I’ll bet she’s going to be one of those stuck up snobbish types, as soon as I walk in that door, I know she’s going to be all, oh my goodness, what is that beast doing in my shop get rid of it this instant.” Charles thought to himself.

After a bit of walking, Charles finished his doughnuts and threw the bag away in a trash can they passed along the way. Soon, they came upon a building that was fancy looking. “This is Carousel Boutique, Rarity’s shop.” Twilight informed. Upon entering the shop, another bell rang from above the door to inform the owner of customers.

The inside of the shop had pony shaped manequins with fancy dresses with gemstones embedded in them. There was a stage near the back of the store with red curtains and a three way mirror on the other side of the wall, opposite the stage. Everything was so clean and spotless. “I’ll be with you momentarily dear.” A mare’s voice sounded from up a stair case in the very back of the store.

Soon, a unicorn mare with a white coat and a blue mane and tail styled in curls, and blue eyes emerged from the stairs. On her flanks were three light blue diamonds. “Hello dear and welcome to Carousel Boutique. Twilight, darling, how good to see you…..oh good heavens, and who do we have here?” The unicorn mare spoke with a bit of hesitation upon seeing Charles.

Twilight greeted the mare. “Hello Rarity, it’s good to see you too, this is Charles, he’s new to Ponyville and has enlisted in the town’s guard. I wanted to bring him by and introduce you two. Charles, this is my friend Rarity.”

“Here it comes.” He thought, Charles figured right about how she would be like, already he could tell that this pony was one of those high class types by the way she sounded and talked. Any minute now she’s going to freak out about him and tell him to get lost.

“Well, um…..hello there…..good sir, I am Rarity, proprietor of this establishment.” Rarity introduced warily.

“Ok, so maybe I was wrong, she’s not freaking out or calling me a beast. Just give it time though.” Charles thought again. “Hello, It’s…..nice to meet you.” He decided to improve his greeting this time.

Twilight was pleased that Charles said more than just one word for a greeting. It may not be clear, but she felt like she was making progress already. “Such manners, how nice. If you don’t mind me asking, where do you come from, I’ve never seen something like you before.” Rarity asked as politely as she could.

“I’m a human, I came from another world, if you can believe it. I just arrived yesterday in Celestia’s throne room. It was an accident, me appearing there.” Charles said.

“Just yesterday, good heavens, then you must not have any clothes to wear do you….we can worry about other details about you arriving here later, you must come with me and let me make you a new wardrobe. But before that, I must ask, since your new here, where are you staying?”

Twilight answered. “Charles is staying with me. I’m going to help him learn about our world so he can fit in better.”

“Marvelous, now then, you must come upstairs with me so I can take your measurements to make you some new clothes, you simply must inform me about the fashion in the world you come from.” Rarity was wreaking of excitement. “Oh, do forgive my enthusiasm, it isn’t every day I get the chance to make clothes for some pony of another species, let alone from another world. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Charles looked at the unicorn with caution. “But, I don’t have any money.”

“Oh nonsense dear, money is no object here, I simply cannot allow you go with just one set of clothing on you. Now come with me and we can get started.”

“Is she serious, she’s actually willing to waste materials she could use for a paying customer just to help me out?” Charles was stunned again, this pony was already being so generous to him and she doesn’t even know him.

“Well don’t just stand there, come on then.” Rarity said at the base of the steps, waiting for Charles.

“Um, look, this really isn’t necessary. I appreciate the offer but…”

Rarity cut him off. “Now see here, I said I would not allow you to go with just one set of clothing and I meant it, now come up stairs with me to my work room so we can get started, also, I will need to ask you about the clothing from your world.”

“I don’t believe this, she’s not giving me the option of refusing, why, WHY?” Charles just followed Rarity upstairs with Twilight behind him.

Upon entering Rarity’s work room, Charles saw more Ponyquins, a wooden desk with drawers, square shelves and various designing items on the desk, rolls of fabrics were leaning up against the desk.

“Now then, if you wouldn’t mind, I’ll need you to remove your clothing.” Rarity stated.

“WHAT, oh no, I am not stripping in front of you.” Charles was afraid this was going to happen.

“Oh come now darling, I need you to remove your clothes so I can get an accurate measurement of your body so I can make your clothes.”

“Sorry, but I am not comfortable taking my clothes off in front of anyone.”

“Why not, in case you hadn’t noticed, we don’t normally wear clothes either.” Twilight informed.

“It’s….it’s a human thing. We’re just not comfortable showing our bodies to others in public.”

“Why is that Charles?” Rarity asked innocently.

“Ugh” Charles grunted as he face palmed. How do you explain modesty to a race that seems to lack such a thing. “Well….I suppose I should start with the reason humans wear clothes all the time. In case you didn’t notice, we don’t have fur like you ponies do. Because of this, our skin is susceptible to the elements, so we need to wear clothes to protect our skin. It’s been going on for centuries that it became a way of life. Humans now wear clothes every day and are uncomfortable otherwise, plus, it is against the law to go in public naked in just about every place on earth, which is the planet I come from.”

“I see, how fascinating.” Rarity cooed. “well then, I suppose I can understand that, all the more reason for me to make you some extra clothes, which is also the reason I need you to remove your current clothing so I can get accurate measurements for your body.”

“*SIGH* Fine, but I’m not taking off my underwear.” Charles removed his staff and tapped the bottom of it on the floor once just like his first night at Twilight’s, once again, it turned into his makeshift coat rack.

“Oh my, how clever, you have your own clothing rack.” Rarity complimented.

“That’s just what I use it for when I need to hang up my coat, mainly I use it as my weapon of choice.” Charles explained. He then removed his jacket and hung it on the rack, followed by his black T-shirt. Then he bent down and undid his shoelaces and removed his shoes, then his socks.

“Charles, if I may ask, what are those things you’re taking off?” Rarity asked.

Charles began to explain. “They’re called shoes, human feet aren’t hard like hooves, so shoes provide protection for them.”

“Well we have shoes here but nothing like those, the shape of them just threw me off, and what are those black cloth like things, socks?”

“Yes, the socks protect the feet from being rubbed raw and breaking out in a rash from the hard material shoes are usually made from.”

“Hmm, I don’t suppose you know what your shoes are made from do you?”

“Heck if I know, I don’t have a clue, all I know is it does what it’s supposed to do.” Once his socks and shoes were off he stood back up.

“I don’t suppose you wouldn’t mind letting me borrow your shoes for a moment so I could analyze the material so I could make another pair for you do you?”

“It wouldn’t take long would it, they’re the only pair I have.”

“Don’t worry dear, I can just use a spell to get the information I need.”

“I guess so then. Just remember to return them.” Charles then went to take off his pants.

After that conversation, it was then that Rarity and Twilight noticed his finely toned muscles and abs. “Oh my, look at those muscles, you certainly are a handsome stallion aren’t you?” Rarity complimented while Twilight just quickly looked away with a blush on her face.

“Dear god, is she coming on to me, that’s even worse than what I thought she’d do when she first saw me.” “Um…..thanks.” Charles finally got around to removing his pants and left his grey underwear on.

“Now then, on to business, if I may, what purpose does that bit of cloth around your waist serve?” Rarity asked, motioning to his underwear.

“Kind of the same as the socks, protection for the skin in that area from the pants.”

Rarity then got to taking measurements of his form, arm lengths, shoulder width, leg length, she even took measurements of his wing span, they streched out about five inches further than his fingertips. She even got his foot size. After that, she then cast a quick spell on his shoes to figure out the material they were made of. “There we go, all done, I will get to work on your new wardrobe as soon as possible.”

Charles started getting his clothes back on. “Um, thanks Rarity.”

“Not at all dear, do have a good day. Good day to you as well Twilight.”

“Bye Rarity, I’ll see you later.” Charles, now fully clothed with his staff on his back, followed Twilight out of the boutique.

Upon exiting, Charles just had to ask. “OK, what was THAT all about?”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked confused at his sudden outburst.

“THAT!” He waved a hand behind him towards the boutique. “She is just willing to use valuable material to make a set of clothes for FREE for a total stranger she knows nothing about? What is up with that pony?”

Twilight smiled at Charles. “That’s just how she is.” Was her only answer.

“But it makes no sense, why would she do such a thing?”

“Are you saying you aren’t grateful?” Twilight asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Well…….no, I am grateful, it’s just….I don’t know.” Charles was confused by another kind act by a total stranger.

“Maybe it’s something your just not used to, it is what friends do for each other.”

“And how are we friends, we’ve only just met and right away she’s doing this for me.”

Twilight continued with her smile. “Like I said, that’s just how she is.”

Charles let his shoulders and wings slump and his head look down in defeat, he just couldn’t win this argument, or figure this act of kindness out, no one had ever done something like this for him before. “Where to next?” Charles asked tiredly.

“Next stop is Sweet apple acres, my friend Applejack and her family run the place, it’s Ponyville’s Prime apple supplier.”

“Lead the way.” Charles said in a defeated tone.

Twilight could tell she was definitely making head way now. She didn’t like that he seemed to act like he was losing something though, but she knew this was for his own good, so she continued onward to Sweet Apple Acres.

The road there led just out of town along a dirt road, they soon came to a section where a fence followed along the road, beyond it was acres of apple trees. “Wow, that’s a lot of apple trees, must be hard to keep up with them all.” The three continued till they came to a break in the fence which was a wooden arch way that opened to a smaller dirt road leading to a large house.

“Here we are, Sweet Apple Acres.” Twilight announced. They passed through the archway and went up to the house. Twilight knocked on the door and waited for a response. An orange coated mare with a blonde mane and tail tied at the end with red ribbons, a picture of three apples on her flanks, and wearing a Stetson hat answered the door.

“Twilight, how nice of ya ta come visit, what brings ya by?” The mare spoke with a heavy country accent.

“Hey there Applejack, I wanted to introduce you to a new friend of mine, this is Charles.” Twilight said as she stepped aside so the two could meet.

“Hi there, I’m Charles.” Charles actually introduced himself this time. Twilight was smiling so big on the inside at this.

Applejack took a moment to eye Charles over. “Well I’ll be, never seen a critter like you before, welcome to Sweet Apple Acres.” Applejack greeted with a bright smile.

“Yeah, I’ve been getting that a lot all day.” Charles responded.

“Sorry, didin’t mean ta offend ya.” Applejack apologized.

“It’s fine, I’m used to it.”

“Why don’t ya come on in and meet the rest of ma family?” Applejack offered as she steeped further in to let her guests enter.

Twilight entered first, Charles then followed suit. “Thank you Applejack.” Twilight said as she entered.

“APPLE FAMILY, WE’VE GOT COMPANY!” Applejack called out.

Charles winced at her shouting. “Jeeze she’s got a set of lungs.”

Soon, three new ponies entered the room, one was a large red stallion with a red coat, a short orange mane and tail, a wooden yolk around his neck, and a green half apple on his flanks.

Another was an elderly looking mare with a lime green coat, a grey mane and tail tied up in a bun, and an apple pie for a cutie mark.

The third was a little filly with a yellow coat, a red mane and tail, a big pink bow in her mane, but no cutie mark on her flank. The little filly was the first to greet Charles. “Sweet apple sauce, what are you, I’ve never seen anything like you before, where’d you come from, nice wings, how fast can you fly, do ya-“

“Applebloom!” Applejack shouted to cut off the little filly. “Now don’t be rude, he’s our guest.”

“Sorry Applejack.” The filly identified as Applebloom then turned to Charles. “Sorry mister, I hope I didn’t offend ya, I tend ta get over-excited like that.” She apologized while making her eyes as big as dinner plates.

“Sweet merciful Jesus she’s adorable, keep it together, don’t let her cuteness get to you.” “It’s…fine, no harm done.”

Applebloom perked up at this as she gave a big smile. Applejack smiled as well. Applejack then began introductions. “Now then, you’ve already met ma little sister Applebloom, this here is ma big brother Big Macintosh.” She pointed to the big red stallion which was almost eye level with Charles. “And this here is Granny Smith.” She pointed to the elderly mare.

“Well howdy there youngin, ya come with Twilight ta join us fer lunch.” Granny Smith said.

“If you all don’t mind, we would love to join you.” Twilight said.

“WE” Charles raised an eyebrow at Twilight’s words.

“Shoot, we would love it if you’d join us.”

Charles objected. “I appreciate the offer, but I’m not hungry.” As if to disagree, his stomach rumbled so loud, every pony could hear it.

“Ya sure about that feller.” Granny Smith said.

“Come on mister, we’ve always got room fer one more, besides, I’m awful curious ta hear where ya’ll came from, ifn’ ya don’t mind sharin that is.” Applebloom said.

“Come on Charles, if there’s one thing the Apple family knows, it’s how to cook. You won’t regret it.” Twilight informed.

With no room to argue, he hesitantly accepted the offer. At the table, Charles was seated between Big Mac and Appelbloom. Granny Smith was seated at the head of the table and, once the food was served, Applejack sat across from her brother and next to Twilight who was seated across from Charles. They each had a delicious meal of apple based foods. Once the meal started, so too did the conversation, which, of course, centered around Charles. He explained where he came from, how he got here while leaving out the part about being hunted, and becoming a member of the Ponyville guard.

Applebloom decided to ask a question of her own. “So what kind of cutie mark do ya have?”

Charles looked at the little filly with a straight face. “Humans don’t get cutie marks.”

“Well then, how do ya know what yer special talent is if ya don’t have em’?”

“Humans are capable of having many talents, we don’t need marks to show us what our special talent is. Besides, like I pointed out, there’s no magic in our world, hence no magic to make cutie marks.”

“Gosh, I can’t imagine what that must be like.”

Charles then decided to try and talk with the big stallion next to him. “So……Big Macintosh, you and your sister run this place on your own huh?”

Big mac looked at Charles to answer. “Eyup.”

“Must be hard to take care of so many trees by yourselves?”

“Nope.”

“……do you ever higher any help with it sometimes?”

“Nope.”

“…..Can you say anything else?”

“Eyup.”

Every pony at the table laughed at the conversation. “Heh heh, sorry bout that Charles, but Big Mac here is kinda shy, once he gets used ta ya, he’ll say more, fer now, that’s all you’ll get outta him.”

“Oh ha ha ha, very funny. Although there’s something familiar about this setting, the way they all get along, it almost reminds me of…….NO, no, I…I can’t think about that, it doesn’t matter anymore, it…..it doesn’t,…..but, why do I…..”

“Charles, are you ok?” Twilight broke his train of thought as she called to him.

“What, yeah, I’m fine, why?”

“Why are you crying?” She asked concered.

“What are you talking about?” Charles felt something wet on his cheek, he moved his left hand and felt it, without realizing it, he had shed a single tear from his eye.

“Charles, is something bothering you?” Twilight asked again. The apple family had all eyes on him now with concern etched on their faces.

“I…..I’m fine, I just…..got something in my eye. Please excuse me.” Charles got up from his seat. “Thank you for the meal Applejack.” Charles then left the room and headed for the door. By the time Twilight got up, said her good bye and went after Charles, he was already out the door.

“Charles wait, what’s wrong?!” Twilight galloped to catch up to him, he was just walking a little faster than normal.

Charles kept his eyes forward when he answered her. “Nothing’s wrong, I just had something in my eye.”

Twilight had caught up to him by this point. “I know something’s bothering you, you can tell me.”

“What’s bothering me is something that isn’t any of your business, it’s in the past and that’s all that matters, now just leave it alone.”

Twilight tried again, fearing that all the progress she maid may have been lost. “But Charles-“

He stopped in his tracks, turned to face her and spoke. “I said LEAVE…IT…ALONE! Talking doesn’t do any good but bring up bad feelings and sad memories. The past is the past and nothing and no amount of talking can change it!”

She was so close, she could feel it, then just like that, it may have all been lost. She didn’t know what to do, she just had to hope that she could regain the ground she lost with him.

Charles could just up and leave then and there, but he still was unfamiliar with the area and could easily get lost, he was pretty much at Twilight’s mercy. For once in his life, he was in a position where he needed someone, and he didn’t like it. “Let’s just go already. How many more of these…..friends…are you going to introduce me to?”

Twilight gave a weak smile, maybe all hope wasn’t lost after all. “Just one more, since we can’t seem to find Pinkie Pie, but I have a hunch she’ll find us.”

“Whatever, so what’s this friends name?”

“Fluttershy, and just like her name suggests, she is rather shy, so try to be nice to her, she is very sensitive.” The two then began their trek to Fluttershy’s cottage.