• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 10,674 Views, 595 Comments

The Angel of Equestria - Robobrony



A winged human has come to Equestria and pledged his loyalty to the princesses.

  • ...
54
 595
 10,674

Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Charles and Apex had just stepped out of the prison where Jonathan was held. “One year, one year until those…..monsters show up. This is just great.” Charles grumbled out loud as he and Apex were walking away from the prison.

“Something wrong private?” Apex asked.

Charles looked up to Apex. “Nothing sir, it’s just this has me a little upset, war is coming here.”

Apex cocked an eyebrow at this. “So, you make it sound like this is the first time Equestiria has dealt with a war.”

It was Charles’s turn to look confused. “Excuse me sir?”

“Did you think I got my title for merely having ideas about war and ideas on how to protect ourselves. I’ve served Equestria and helped protect it by commanding it’s armies in wars for a long time. War is not new to our land.” Apex explained.

“I see, it’s just…..well....”

Apex continued. “And what about the soldiers you’ve been working with, how do you think they got so good at what they do? Some of them are former soldiers of the Equestrian military. They have seen war before private.”

Charles was a little stunned by this. “Oh, I never thought, this land just seemed so peaceful to me before.”

“How do you think it got peaceful in the first place. While we may not be at war right now, we still have to be wary of those that surround our borders. We were in a war with the griffons a long time ago and fought them to a standstill and got them to surrender and managed to secure peace with them. Then there is the incident that Carbon was in. He and a group of others were hunting a dangerous terrorist in Saddle Arabia. War is not new to Equestria Charles.”

“Understood sir. I never imagined.”

“It’s all right.”

After Apex had finished his explanation, a unicorn stallion came up to him. “General Apex, sir!” He greeted as he gave a salute. This unicorn had a green and white mane and tail, a cream colored coat, gold eyes, and for a cutie mark, had a green and white fireball shaped like a heart.

Apex looked down at the unicorn curiously. “Petty officer Lief Fireheart? What are you doing here?”

“Sir, I heard about what was going on, I was hoping to offer my assistance in the battle to come. I want to defend Equestria just as much as any other soldier, please let me help.”

Apex kept his curious Look. Charles looked between the two and spoke up. “General Apex sir, who is this?”

Apex looked back to Charles. “Private Charles, this is petty officer Lief Fireheart, a unicorn who specializes in fire based magic, he is a very capable warrior, he has a rare weapon like those twins in the Ponyville guard, an enchanted sword.”

Charles looked to the unicorn. He gave a salute. “A pleasure to meet you Lief Fireheart.”

Lief saluted back. “A pleasure to meet you too, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Charles smirked. “Who hasn’t?” The two shared a small laugh at Charles’s joke.

Apex interrupted. “Glad to see you two getting along already. If you wish to help in the fight to come, I see no reason not to let you in. You will be allowed on the battle field when the time comes, fair warning though, Charles told me these humans have advanced weaponry, chances are you won’t come back alive from this.”

“That is the case with all wars sir.” Lief responded.

“Very good then. Return to your post back in Canterlot, I’ll send for you when we need you.”

Lief gave a salute. “Thank you sir, I won’t let you down.” Lief turned and walked off.

“Yet another pony to help in the effort.” Charles mused.

“I’ll be going back to Canterlot myself and let the princesses know about what we learned from that human. Take care private.” Apex said before leaving.

Charles gave a salute. “Yes sir, you too.”

Apex saluted back and flew off.

Charles was now left with his thoughts. “Great, one year and Equestria will be facing a foe most likely more deadly than anything they’ve ever faced. I just hope the warriors we gathered will be enough. War……..why did it have to be war…….why did they have to come looking for me? Why couldn’t they just leave me alone and let me find happiness?”

“Charles, are you all right?” Tidal Wave asked from inside Charles’s mind. “I sense a great deal of stress beginning to build within you, perhaps you need to do something to relax.” She suggested.

Charles just looked straight ahead as he began to walk. “I’m fine, I feel like I just need to blow off some steam.” He responded. Charles did feel some emotions beginning to build, it was a bitter sadness. He just sadly walked through town and looked around. He didn’t want to go home yet, not in his current state, he feared one of his wives or Spike might accidentally say something to set him off. Charles walked about town looking at all the ponies, going about their business, happy as can be. He happened to look inside a house he was passing by and saw a family just sitting down getting ready to eat dinner. Charles looked on a bit as the family was unaware of him. After a moment, he continued on.

He saw an elderly couple looking at each other longingly as they walked. He continued on to the park. Charles walked on and crossed over the bridge. He saw a young couple in a boat paddling along down the river, enjoying each other’s company. After watching them for a moment, he continued on into the park. He came to a bench and sat down. “This war that’s coming……..it is my fault. That bastard Jonathan came here looking for me, instead…..” Charles looked up and saw a few children playing around and laughing. He looked over and saw a mother and child enjoying a picnic. “War……..why?” Was all he could think.

Charles felt a new emotion as he thought of everything that happened that one day Jonathan showed up. It wasn’t just him showing up that got to Charles, but his parents showing up as well, and now this threat of war coming in one year. Charles got up in a huff and walked off. “This isn’t fair, I need some way to blow off all this steam building up.” Charles walked on through the town.

Eventually, he came to a spot that was rocky and had hardly any plant life. It was the same area where those diamond dogs were. Charles knew after his last encounter with them, they were long gone now. He stayed out of the cave and just looked around first. “This area will do. I think I know the perfect way to do this.” Charles floated his staff off his back and summoned his three bladed scyth.

Charles swung the scythe up in his telekinesis , the earth symbol beginning to glow as Charles began to activate it’s magic, and back down, slamming the blades into the ground. A glow emitted from the point of impact and light shot forth, zig zagging as it moved along the ground and breaking into multiple branches. The lines stopped and cylinders shot up from the ground. Charles combined his own magic with his new earth magic to do what he wanted. The cylinders took on a bipedal form with hands, feet, and glowing yellow eyes. Charles combined his earth magic with his alicorn magic and used a come to life spell to creat these things.

“All right, lets go.” Charles said before the multiple rock creatures charged at him. Charles slashed down at one, cutting it in half, then another along the waist. He charged at two more and swiped with the scythe, slicing two more in half. One tried to lob a rock at him but he saw it coming and sliced it in mid air. “Come on you rock monsters, I made you better than that!” Charles yelled.

Charles bucked at one coming up from behind him. He reared up and slammed his hooves on two more. One charged at Charles from the side, he jumped up to avoid it and slammed down on it. “Is that the best you got, come on then!” He yelled at them in anger.

The monsters regrouped and came back together. Together, they all charged at him. Charles glared at them. He spread out his wings, readied his scythe, and charged headlong into them. Charles used his magic to move and swipe the scythe so fast, it couldn’t be seen except for a few flashes for when the blades happen to catch the light from the setting sun. He proved to be too quick for the rocky monsters as they seemed to stand still for Charles. Finally, he reached the back of the crowd, Charles just stood there with his eyes closed. He opened them and all the rock monsters fell to dust and rubble. He looked back and glared at the piles. “GGRRRRRR! NOT ENOUGH!” He growled out.

He turned his attention to a cliff face. He did the same as last time, though the white light moved to the cliff face and split into just two. It moved up the cliff, shaping the face of a large section out to look like one giant rock creature like the others Charles made. It took almost a minute for the light trail to finally intersect at a point. Yellow glowing eyes appeared on the form. It stepped forth with a rumble as it separated itself from the mountain. “COME ON YOU ROCK HEADED GIANT! I NEED THIS, GIVE ME EVERY THING YOU GOT!” He yelled at it.

In response, the creature roared back loudly. Charles stood his ground against the beast he created. The rock giant moved faster than you would think. It tried to punch Charles into the ground where he stood, but Charles jumped back. He focused his magic and fired a large orb of pure magic at the giant. It contacted the beast’s left arm after it brought it back up, the impact erupted in a huge explosion that kicked up dust and sent small rocks flying about. One small rock made contact against charles’s head. “AH! Buck!” He cursed in Equestrian at the pain. He raised a hoof to the injury and brought it down. “Just a little blood.” He said. Charles’s thoughts were interrupted when the beast roared again.

“Not done yet huh, fine by me, I got plenty more anger to vent.” He flew straight at the monster with his scythe at the ready. The beast had managed to reform its left arm and swiped at Charles with his right. Charles flew up to avoid it and took a swipe at the creature’s chest. He made contact and left a sizeable slash across the thing’s chest. The best stepped back and roared, as if it were in pain. “COME ON, I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT!” He yelled.

The beast managed to keep itself standing. The large scar closed up and the rock giant glared at its maker. The creature reared its right arm back, Charles readied his scythe. The arm came down in front of Charles instead of at him, plunging into the ground. Charles may have made this thing, but he used a come to life spell to give it a mind of its own so it could think for itself in combat. Charles didn’t know what it was doing. Suddenly, the ground erupted in dirt gysers, shooting up from under Charles. It was so surprising, Charles failed to shield himself from one and it struck him directly from underneath.

It sent him flying up and backwards. He crashed to the ground, losing his magic grip on his weapon. He groaned a little in pain. Charles recollected his weapon and looked at the beast just in time to see a giant rock flying at him. Charles flew up just in time as the rock came to a landing. But was surprised again to see another sailing at him. He didn’t have time to react, the rock hit him dead on and crushed him under it on the ground. “GAH!” Charles was now trapped. The rock beast came walking up to him ready to deal the finishing blow. “GRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!” Charles yelled out in anger, he struggled to lift the rock off of him.

He slowly managed to start lifting it up, as the weight lessened, Charles was able to lift it easier until finally lifting it up completely. He then tossed it back at the rock beast as he lay on the ground, smashing it against the beasts head. The head was shattered as well. Charles took this opportunity to summon all the power he could and fired a large massive beam from his horn. It struck the beast and caused it to explode completely, sending dust and debris to scatter about. A few more rocks struck Charles and caused more scratches on his black coat. “GAH! BUCKING…..AH!” He winced in pain from the impacts.

Charles shielded his eyes with his forelegs from the dust that swirled about. Once the dust finally settled, he tried to stand, his attempt was met with pain from his back left leg. “AH! AHA!” He collapsed again to the ground. “Great, now I have a broken leg!” He groused to himself. “What else could go wrong?” He couldn’t help but feel more angry at this. “What is wrong with me? First I’m responsible for bringing these humans here, my parents end up showing up, war is on its way because of me, now I end up breaking my leg.” His anger continued to build as these thoughts haunted his mind. “Its not fair, why is this happening…….IT’S NOT FAIR! GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Charles yelled with so much emotion as he raised his head to the sky’s, tears started forming in his eyes as well. A great sadness was taking hold to join in his anger. “It’s not fair, I just wanted a peaceful happy life, is that too much to ask for?! It’s not FAIR!”

“Charles, are you okay?” A familiar voice called out to him. Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash had come to the area. “What happened here, what was all that noise?” Twilight asked in worry.

It was then the mares noticed his condition, his black coat had patches of brown from the dirt, his body was covered in a few scars and there was a little blood trickling down the side of his face from his first injury. “What in tarnation…..what happened to ya Charles?” Applejack asked.

“Dude, what were you doing?” Rainbow then asked.

Charles looked at them all with sadness. He turned away, unable to look at his wives and two friends. “Just go away, leave me alone, I don’t want you to see me like this.”

“Charles, what’s wrong, why are you so upset?” Fluttershy asked sweetly. The six mares drew closer to Charles as he answered.

“Everything, that’s what. I just feel so angry and upset at the same time. I……I don’t know what to do. I thought if I came out here to try and vent……….but it didn’t work.”

“You look like you were in quite the fight, who were you fighting?” Rarity questioned.

“Does it matter, I was being stupid again and now I ended up hurting myself as you can see." Charles tried to stand again, only to colaps from the pain from his leg. “GAH!”

“CHARLES!” All six called out. They rushed over to him.

“Charles, don’t move, where does it hurt?” Twilight asked frantic.

“What is wrong Charles, why are you so upset?” Pinkie then asked with worry.

“Everything’s wrong okay!” He finally said in a bit of anger as he looked to his friends. “That rotten human Jonathan is here, my lousy good for nothing parents show up out of nowhere, and now because of me, humans are bringing war to Equestria!” His voice softened as he looked away again. “And it’s all my fault. Because of me, humans, with their advanced weaponry, are coming and Equestria may not survive it. I’m so sorry every pony. Maybe it would have been better if I never showed up at all.”

“Don’t say that!” Twilight expressed. “You didn’t bring war to Equestria, the humans did, they’re the ones that decided to come after you, they’re the ones who want to come here and invade, not because of you.”

“But they never would have found this place if it wasn’t for me.” Charles argued. “Face it girls, no matter how you spin it, this is all my fault. Now the best I can do is just fight them off with the help I brought. I’m also starting to think that may have been a mistake too, I took them away from their homes to help in our problem, and there’s a chance they won’t survive either. The Equestria’s I brought them from may be put in danger if they fall here.”

“Charles, no pony blames you for all this.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Yeah, you’re a great pony Charles, you’re strong, brave, and you know how to party.” Pinkie pointed out.

“Not to mention all the times you helped Equestria with other problems like securing peace with the manticores and timberwolves.” Rainbow Dash also pointed out.

Twilight used a foreleg to turn Charles’s head to face her. “Charles, look at me.” Charles’s eyes met with Twilight’s, he just looked at her sadly. “No pony blames you for this, you shouldn’t blame yourself either, this isn’t your fault. You coming here was a great thing, you must realize this. There are so many other things that happened that would have ended in disaster if you hadn’t come along.”

Charles narrowed his eyes. “Yeah, like what?” He asked bitterly.

“Like what happened with the diamond dogs.” Twilight pointed out. “No way the guards would have stood a chance against that giant one you fought and beat.”

“And the dragon in the Everfree forest.” Applejack also added. “That monster would have been a real problem fer us too.”

“And let’s not forget the incident with that alicorn that Luna is friends with.” Rainbow pointed out as she hovered above every pony. “She was messed up in the head and was going to try and take over, if you hadn’t come along and messed up the plans she had, she would have succeeded.”

Applejack gave a smirk. “Face it Charles, you comin here was a blessing. Sure we got other problems comin because of it, but we don’t blame you for them. And we got so many good things out of it too, not just a hero.”

“But a wonderful caring husband too.” Rarity said.

“And a family, one that’s going to get bigger soon.” Pinkie Pie added as she rubbed her belly carrying a baby.

Charles allowed himself a small smile at the thought of being a dad. He gave a defeated sigh. “*Sigh* All right, you win. I shouldn’t blame myself for all the bad things coming. All I can do is my best to protect this world from the dangers that are threatening it.”

“Glad you came to your senses.” Twilight said with a smile. “But still, what happened to you anyway? You still didn’t answer that one.”

“Yes dear, what were you doing out here that got you so banged up?” Rarity questioned.

Charles’s smile faded. “I was just feeling so angry at everything that was going on, I felt the need to vent. So I came out here to do just that so no pony could get hurt. I had the idea to combine my earth magic with my regular magic and created a few rock creatures to fight so I could try to blow off some steam. I used my earth magic to create the forms, then used a come to life spell on them so they could fight.”

“No way, you made living rock creatures? That sounds awesome!” Rainbow Dash said with a flip.

“You did what?!” Twilight asked with surprise. “You purposely created creatures to fight?” Twilight was seeming a little upset by this point. “I can’t believe you PURPOSELY put yourself in danger like that, what were you thinking?”

Before Charles could answer, Applejack put a hoof on Twilight’s back to try and calm her down. “Easy there sugar cube. Like he said, he needed to vent all this anger he’d been feelin. Still, I agree that wasn’t very bright.” She said as she looked to Charles.

Charles actually cringed a little under Applejack’s gaze. He recollected himself and continued. “Those rock things I made were no match for me, I was able to fight them off easy, so I made one giant one instead. I fought the thing and……that’s how I got in my current state.” He finished in a low tone.

Twilight facehooved with a groan. “Ugh, why didn’t you just come to us to talk, that would have been so much easier and less dangerous.”

“I…….I was afraid that if you all said something to set me off, I might………..I don’t know, do something I would regret. I just couldn’t face you in my state of mind.” He paused a moment. “Once again, I was being a moron wasn’t I?”

“Maybe a little.” Pinkie answered.

“Come on, let’s get you to the hospital to get you cleaned up.” Rarity said. Applejack and Pinkie took his sides to help him up while Rarity used her magic to hold Charles’s broken leg in place while they walked. Twilight used her own magic to help lessen the pain for Charles’s leg.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy followed along. “So girls, what were you doing out here anyway?” Charles asked as he limped along.

Applejack started the explanation. “We got worried about ya when ya didn’t come home fer a while.”

“So we went looking for you to try and find you.” Rarity stated.

“While we did, we came across Rainbow and Fluttershy and asked them to help.” Pinkie added in.

“While we were all looking, we started hearing some strange sounds coming from outside Ponyville, so we went to investigate and came here.” Twilight finished.

“And that’s how we found you.” Rainbow added.

“And here I thought I was supposed to be the one taking care of all of you.” Charles said to his wives.

“Darling, we’re a family, we take care of each other, remember?” Rarity asked.

“Sorry, guess I’m still new to this family thing. I was so used to just looking out for myself, no one to look out for me. Then I find myself a family, and I want to protect you all so much. So I thought I would have to look out for myself AND my family. I still haven’t gotten used to the idea of some pony looking out for me as well.”

“It’s all right sugar cube, you’ll get used to it. Just give it time and try ta remember that ya got us now.” Applejack stated.

With all this talk, Charles took notice that his anger and sadness he was feeling earlier had gone. He was actually feeling a little happy. Still in pain, but happy none the less. He limped on with his wives and two friends through Ponyville to the hospital feeling a little better. “Family looks out for one another…….maybe…….maybe I should give my parents a second chance. They did go through the trouble to try and find me and risked their lives doing it. If they want me back in their lives though, they’re going to have to really work for it.”