• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 10,695 Views, 595 Comments

The Angel of Equestria - Robobrony



A winged human has come to Equestria and pledged his loyalty to the princesses.

  • ...
54
 595
 10,695

Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Spike and Sweetie Belle happily made their way to Sugarcube Corner for their date. Upon arrival, Spike, being the gentle dragon he is, opened the door for Sweetie. “After you my dear.”

“Why thank you spike, how nice of you.” The two approached the counter and were greeted by Mrs. Cake.

“Oh, well hello there you two, what brings you two dearies by?”

Sweetie Belle answered. Me and Spike are on a date.” She answered happily.

Mrs. Cake couldn’t help but smile back. “Well isn’t that wonderful, what can I get you two?”

Spike spoke up first. “Go ahead Sweetie Belle, you can get whatever you want.”

Sweetie Belle looked over to Spike. “Thank you Spike.” She then turned back to the counter and began to look over the selection in the display case before her. “Let’s see, it all looks so good. I’ll haaavvvvve, one cupcake and a chocolate milkshake please.”

“Make that two.” Spike responded.

“You got it, two cupcakes and chocolate milkshakes coming right up for the love birds.” Mrs. Cake responded as she then headed into the kitchen to get their orders. She came back a few moments later with the order on a trey in her mouth, she set it on the counter. “That will be eight bits please.”

Spike reached into his pouch and fished out the amount, placed it on the counter and took the trey. “Thanks Mrs. Cake.”

“You’re welcome dearies, enjoy.”

Spike carried the trey over to a table so he and Sweetie could sit and talk while they enjoyed their sweets. He chose an empty booth against the wall. As they sat enjoying their treats, Sweetie Belle decided to speak up. “Spike, thanks again for agreeing to go out with me like this, I really appreciate it.”

Spike locked eyes with Sweetie as she sat across from him. “Awe, it was nothing, you’re certainly a nice enough filly. But, I am curious, what attracted you to me in the first place?” Spike asked.

Sweetie looked to the side with a blush before she answered. “Well, I’ve noticed how helpful you are to everypony, and Applebloom told me about the time you saved her big sister from a giant timberwolf, I thought it was so brave of you to do something like that. I was just afraid to tell you how I felt about you since you still had a crush on my sister. And then, when she made it clear that she didn’t feel the same way about you as you do about her, I felt sorry for you, but I also saw it as my chance to tell you about my feelings for you. I hope you’re not mad at me for that.”

It was now Spike's turn to look to the side as he rubbed a claw on the back of his head. “Well, gosh, I don’t know what to say to that.” Spike looked back at Sweetie Belle. “But I am definitely not mad at you. In fact, I’m glad things turned out this way, I guess a part of me knew that it would never work between me and Rarity, I just didn’t want to believe it.”

Sweetie Belles smile grew even bigger then. “Oh Spike, I’m so glad to hear you say that.”

“Hey, don’t worry about it, I’m just glad I get to enjoy some time with a cute filly.”

Sweetie Belle blushed at Spike’s compliment. The rest of the date for the two went on swimmingly as they talked about various things and enjoyed a few laughs, Spike had found a wonderful mare friend, and Sweetie Belle got to be with the colt……er dragon she admired for so long.

***

The rest of the day upon Charles’s return from his meeting with the dragon lord went on without incident on to the next day in the afternoon, it was getting close to time for Charles’s date with his new marefriends. At the party yesterday, Rarity presented Charles with a new suit that fit him perfectly, it was a white button up shirt under a black light jacket, black pants, black dress shoes and a black bow tie with a white diamond embedded in the center. And of course, there were holes in the back for his wings to fit through. Rarity also included gold cufflinks with diamonds as well. Charles was looking himself over in a mirror in his room with Twilight just behind him. “Do I really need to wear this, it is nice and all, but I’ve never worn a suit before. It just feels……I don’t know, weird.”

Twilight had dressed up as well. She was wearing a dark blue dress with stars spread out on it, a star ornament in her mane just above her ear, and blue shoes on her hooves. “Don’t worry, besides, Rarity might throw a bit of a fit if you didn’t wear something nice for our date.” She laughed a little at the thought.

Charles then turned around from the mirror and faced Twilight. “Well, how do I look?” He asked as he gestured to himself with his hands.

Twilight smiled as she responded. “You look very handsome Charles.”

“And you look very beautiful Twilight.” Charles complimented.

“Thank you Charles.”

“Yeah, you two look great, I hope you all have a great time tonight.” Spike said from Charles’s bed.

Charles turned to the side to face Spike. “Thanks buddy, and I hear you had a good time yesterday too, who was the lucky filly again?”

“Sweetie Belle, she is so sweet and nice. I had a great time with her yesterday.”

“Ah, Rarity’s little sister, well I’m glad to hear it Spike, I hope you two have a great relationship.” Charles said as he smiled at Spike. “Well then, before we go, I have a question for you Twilight.”

“Yes Charles?”

“I don’t suppose you have any spell books that can teach one how to create illusions and such do you?”

Twilight smiled. “Of course, I have a couple of books with sections that cover illusion spells.” Twilight’s face then turned to confusion. “But why did you want to know that?”

Charles smirked. “Because I have a brilliant idea for when Nightmare Night comes along, I want to put on another show for all of Ponyville that is sure to have you all shaking in your horseshoes. Trust me, this is going to be a night Ponyville won’t soon forget.”

“Really, what do you have planned?” Spike asked.

“Sorry little buddy, but that is a surprise. Now then, shall we be on our way my dear?” Charles said to Twilight.

“Of course, Spike, we’ll be back later, behave now.” She said as she and Charles left the room. Spike waved them off as they headed out the door

As they headed out, it was a chilly afternoon, it was somewhat cloudy as the sun hung low in the sky, getting ready to rest for the night. They first headed to pick up Applejack. Charles was still blown away at the fact that not one, but three mares were interested in him. Granted, they were of a different species, but he was just glad that someone was actually interested in him romantically. Besides, these ponies felt and acted like any other human, the only difference really was the whole species thing.

They soon came onto the dirt road that lead to the farm. They soon approached the archway that started the small path up to the house. They walked up and Charles was the one to knock. The door swung open after a moment and Big Mac was on the other side. Charles greeted him. “Hello Big Macintosh, I’m here to pick up Applejack for our date, is she ready?”

Big Mac took a moment before answering. “Eyup.” He then stepped aside to let the couple in. Twilight and Charles opted to wait in the living room for Applejack as Big Mac went to get her.

A few moments later, she came out behind Big Mac with no dress on. “Howdy ya’ll, I’m ready fer our date.” She said happily.

Twilight looked Applejack over carefully. “Um, Applejack, you do know Rarity will probably freak out or something if you don’t show up in something nice don’t you?”

“Well shoot Twilight, you know I don’t like all that girly dress up stuff, besides, it’s just a date.”

Charles decided to interject, thinking the two were about to get into an argument. “I think she looks just fine, you girls all look beautiful, with or without a dress.”

Applejack blushed a little at Charles’s words. “Well shoot, thank ya kindly Charles.”

“Yes, thank you very much.” Twilight also gave her gratitude. “Well then, we might as well be on our way to get Rarity.”

“Don’t worry, if she isn’t happy about Applejack not being in a dress for this, I’m sure I can say something to ease her.” Charles said with a smile.

Applejack agreed. “All right then, Big Mac, I’ll be back later tonight, see ya then.” She waved a hoof goodbye to her big brother.

“Eyup.” Was his response as he waved back.

The trio then left the farm as they made their way back into town to get Rarity, the walk back was made in a comfortable silence. They soon arrived at Rarity’s place and Charles knocked on the door. “Come in.” Came Rarity’s voice. Charles opened the door for the two mares who made their way in with Charles behind.

Charles then called out. “Rarity, we’re here to pick you up for the date, are you ready?”

Hoof steps were heard as Rarity made her way down the stairs from her second floor, she emerged from the staircase wearing a red and white striped dress. The best way Charles could describe it was it reminded him of a candy cane, but he still thought Rarity looked beautiful in it. “Wow Rarity, you look great as usual.”

Rarity flipped her mane in response. “Why thank you darling, you always know the right thing to say to a lady.” Rarity then took notice of Charles. “And you are looking most dashing yourself dear.”

“Thanks, you did a great job on the suit, I’m just not used to wearing something fancy like this though.” He replied with a smile.

Rarity then took notice of Twilight. “And you look marvelous too darling, I see you chose to wear your gala dress for the evening.”

Twilight smiled. “Yes, I didn’t really have anything else.”

Finally, she noticed Applejack and her face fell. “Ah, I see you decided to not dress up for this night Applejack, though I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.” She finished with a sigh.

“Well, you should know by now I ain’t one fer fancy getups.” Applejack replied.

Rarity regained her composure and addressed the three. “At any rate, let’s be on our way shall we.” And together, the four left to head out for their evening.

As they left, a thought occurred to Charles. “Um, one question ladies, where are we going to eat?”

The three mares stopped in their tracks and turned to face Charles. Rarity then put a hoof to her chin in thought. “Well, I suppose that depends on your taste in food, do you like it fancy or simple?” She asked.

Charles gave a shrug. “I don’t care, as long as it tastes good and is edible, I’m fine with whatever, I’m not picky.”

Applejack responded. “Same here, I’m fine with whatever place we go, long as they give good sized portions.”

Rarity then turned to Twilight. “Twilight, do you have a preference?”

Twilight also took a moment to think. “Hmmm, how about Chez Gourmet, it’s a little fancy but not real high class, would that be ok?”

Rarity smiled at Twilight. “Twilight, that is a great idea, Chez Gourmet it is. Shall we then?” Rarity said as she took the lead.

As they walked, Charles started to feel a little uneasy about something. He was starting to look a little nervous as he walked with the three mares next to him. Applejack on his right, and Rarity and Twilight on his left. Applejack was the first to take notice and spoke up. “You all right there sugar cube, you look more nervous than a worm on apple harvestin day.”

“Well, it’s just……..I mean, my first date with Rarity at that one party was rather casual, but this, this is more like a real date, and I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do. Is there a certain way I need to act for you or what?”

The girls chuckled at him. Twilight was first to address his fears. “Relax Charles, all you have to do is be yourself, that is what we like about you.”

Rarity continued. “Yes dear, you don’t need to worry, you’ll do just fine, this is just a chance to spend some quality time with one another, it’s just at a place where we can get something to eat, that’s all.” Rarity finished with a reassuring smile.

Charles smiled back. “Well, all right then. So I just need to be myself, I can do that.”

“You sure can.” Said a bubbly all too familiar voice next to Applejack.

Every pony and Charles stopped in their tracks and looked to the source of the voice. Standing next to Applejack was Pinkie Pie with a bright smile on her face. The others had a confused look. Applejack spoke to address her, confusion and shock evident in her voice. “Pinkie Pie, what in tarnation are you doing here?”

Pinkie looked at Applejack with a confused expression of her own. “Aren’t we going on a date with Charles?”
She asked as if it were obvious. Pinkie was wearing a pink and white dress with candies decorating it, a pink and white hat and pink shoes covering her hooves with bows.

Twilight then spoke up. “But Pinkie, you never asked him out?”

“I didn’t?” Pinkie asked.

Charles answered. “Um, no you didn’t, I think I would remember you asking me out.”

“Oh, well, Charles, will you go out on a date with me?” Pinkie then asked with a smile.

Rarity then interjected. “Pinkie Pie darling, this is all so sudden, what is going on?”

Pinkie looked to Rarity as she answered. “Well, Charles is really fun, he knows some great music, knows how to dance great, and has a great appreciation for cupcakes, so why wouldn’t I want to be his marefriend?”

Charles couldn’t help himself. He tried to hold back giggles, but failed as they turned to laughter. “TCh, ha ha ha , oh man Pinkie, you sure have a funny way of letting a guy know you like him, your just asserting yourself right into this.”

“So what do ya say, can I be your mare friend too?” She asked, still wearing her trademark smile.

Charles managed to collect himself. “Well, ladies, what do you think of all this?” He asked as he looked at the others.

Rarity answered. “Well, I’ll admit this is a rather odd way of making your feelings known, but it is really up to you Charles, as to whether she joins us or not.”

Twilight continued. “You are the stallion in the group here Charles, whatever you choose is fine with us.”

Then Applejack said her peace. “Besides, Pinkie is one of our best friends, so whatever you decide is fine by us.”

Charles then looked over the mares before him. “Well, that is just fine, I don’t suppose there are any other mares in town that want to throw themselves at me are there?” He asked with a smile.

Rarity answered. “While I am not one for gossip, you have become quite the talk of the town, I have noticed some of the mares swoon over you and some of the stallions are jealous of you getting all the attention.”

“Gosh, that’s interesting to know, but I think four marefriends is enough.” Charles said as he winked at Pinkie. “Pinkie Pie, I would love it if you would join us for our date tonight.”

Pinkie was now beaming big. “Really, okie dokie lokey. Thank you Charles.” The five then continued on their way to the resturaunt Twilight suggested.

Within a few minutes, they arrived at their destination, Chez Gourmet. The place did indeed looke nice, the kind of place that serves fancy dishes but you don’t need a reservation to get in to. Charles decided to exercise his gentlemanly skills and held the door open for his dates. “After you ladies.” He said to them. They each gave a thank you as they entered. Charles then stepped forward to address the pony in charge of seating.

It was a stallion unicorn with a green coat and a black mane and tail. He was wearing a white collar with a black bow tie. “Good evening, how many in your party?” He asked in a friendly tone. His voice and way of speaking was indeed very welcoming.

Charles answered. “Table for five please.”

The stallion then lit his horn in a green aura levitating five menus and spoke. “Right this way good sir, and ladies.” The group followed the stallion to a round table with five chairs. “Here you go, a waiter will be by momentarily to take your orders.” The stallion then left after placing the menus on the table in front of the chairs.

Charles then used his magic to pull the chairs out for his dates. “Here you go girls.”

“Why thank ya kindly Charles.” Applejack said as she sat down.

“Thank you Charles.” Twilight gave her thanks as well.

“You are such a gentle colt.” Rarity complimented.

“Thanks Charles.” Pinkie beamed.

Once the mares were seated comfortably, Charles took his seat and they began to purose the menu for what to drink first. “Let’s see, hmm, looks like quite the selection. I’m surprised a place like this doesn’t have alcohol.” Charles absentmindedly said aloud. He never did approve of the stuff, and the comment he made slipped out. This world was pretty similar to earth, he figured there might even be the same kind of drinks here.

Twilight was the one to comment on Charles’s thought. “What’s……alcohol?”

Twilight’s question caught Charles’s attention. “Oops, wait, if they don’t know what alcohol is, then it must not exist here. Great, but I don’t want to be the one to introduce it to them.” “Oh, uh, nothing, just forget I said anything.”

Applejack eyed him carefully. “Charles, is there somethin you’re not tellin us?”

Charles looked at Applejack nervously. “It’s nothing really, trust me. It’s…….just a kind of drink that was back on earth. Don’t worry about it.”

Pinkie perked up at the mention of a new kind of drink. “OOH, a new kind of drink that we don’t have here, what is it what is it?”

Charles was feeling very uneasy now. “Pinkie, please just trust me and let it go, it’s not something you girls would like, even I don’t like it.”

“Oh, but I’m really curious now, won’t you please tell us. Pleas, please, PLEASE!” Pinkie was being very insistant.

Rarity spoke. “Charles, you might as well come clean, she won’t rest until she finds out about this drink you mentioned.”

Charles gave a defeated sigh. “All right, but you girls need to keep this to yourself, what I am about to tell you about is stuff that is not pleasant, all right?”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Pinkie made her trademark Pinkie promise, the girls soon followed suit.

“All right. See, alcohol isn’t really a drink, but an ingredient for a drink. It’s bad stuff in my opinion, it makes you goofy in the head if you drink too much of it. You get inebriated, makes you wobbly on your feet…..er hooves, and it can make you a real talker. By that I mean it can make you tell people things you didn’t want them to know about. Also, Twilight, you remember those cars I told you about?”

Twilight nodded. She went ahead and explained to the others about the cars Charles mentioned. “They’re these large metal contraptions that can travel at high speeds. It is a form of transportation for humans to go long distances.”

“Well golly, that’s real intrestin, but what’s that got ta do with this stuff you was tellin us about?” Applejack said.

Charles continued. “Well, most people make the stupid mistake to drive a car after they had too much to drink from whatever they were drinking with alcohol in it, and because of that, they get into accidents with those cars. Pretty much every case ends up in a horrible accident where someone gets seriously hurt, or worse………dead.”

The girls gasped at this. Pinkie then asked a question. “But then, if it can do that, then why do humans still try to drive after they drink this stuff?”

“Because for one, they aren’t very bright to begin with or just don’t care, or two, because the alcohol makes them stupid and unable to think straight. That is why I was so hesitant to tell you all about that stuff. But since you don’t know what it is, that means you don’t have it here, and I don’t know how to make any of those drinks that would have it in them. So there really is no chance of it coming into existence here.”

Twilight gave an appreciative smile. “Thank you for being honest with us Charles.”

Rarity continued. “Yes, after hearing all that, I think we can all understand your hesitance to tell us about this……alcohol.”

Charles began. “At any rate, let’s see what we want to drink shall we, and forget about that little discussion.” They all agreed and found what kind of drinks they wanted.

Just in time too, as the waitress approached, an earth pony mare with a yellow coat and a red mane and tail. Her cutie mark was a silver tray. She was wearing a black vest with a white undershirt and a white apron. “Hello there, I’ll be your server this evening, my name is Quick Serve, what can I get you?” She asked with a smile.

Twilight started. “Let’s see, I’ll have the apple cider to drink and a bowl of the pasta salad.”

Pinkie gave her order next. “I’ll have the lemonade and a nice hay burger please.”

Applejack was next. “I’d like the apple cider too and spaghetti and hay balls.”

Rarity gave her order. “I’d like a nice glass of iced tea and a delightful salad.”

The waitress then turned to Charles. “And four you sir?”

He seemed to be struggling on what to decide to eat. “Well, I don’t know, some of the stuff on here has either hay or grass in it, and I can’t eat that stuff. I don’t suppose you could make any reccomendations?” He asked as he looked at Quick Serve.

“There are a few selections on our menu that don’t include such items. There’s the Rosemary salad, a nice salad with lettuce tomatoes onions a bit of rosemary, of course, for seasoning, some carrots and we can also top it off with shredded cheese. Does that sound good?”

“That sounds perfect, I’ll have that and some iced tea to drink as well.” Charles agreed happily.

Quick Serve then jotted down the orders and took the menus from them. “All right then, two apple ciders, two iced teas, one lemonade, a pasta salad, a hay burger, spaghetti and hay balls, a simple salad and one rosemary salad.
Coming right up. Your drinks will be out shortly.”

Charles gave his thanks. “Thank you miss.” She then trotted off and went to get the drinks.

Rarity felt compelled to point something out. “You know dear, you also could have ordered what I did, there isn’t any hay or grass in the salad I ordered.”

Charles then looked to Rarity to respond. “No, but there were flowers in it, I can’t eat that either remember?”

Rarity then blushed a little in embarrassment for having forgotten that. “Oh, right, do forgive me for my forgetfulness."

Charles gave a comforting smile. “It’s all right Rarity, we all tend to forget things sometimes.”

Pinkie agreed. “Yeah, like remember that time I forgot it was my birthday and I thought you all didn’t want to be my friends anymore because I thought you were all lying to me and avoiding me when in fact you were all just planning a surprise party for me?”

Twilight chuckled at the memory. “Yes Pinkie, we remember.” They all then just started talking about idle things while waiting for the food to arrive. It gave Charles a chance to learn more about them.

What caught him by surprise was the adventures they had starting with the first day Twilight came to town. As they reminisced, halfway through the story, the food arrived.

Once every pony had their dish and drinks, they continued with the story taking turns telling it. When it came to Nightmare Moon, that reminded Charles that he wanted to know about how Nightmare Moon ended up with her own holiday. He first waited for the girls to finish before asking.

Once done, he saw his chance. “So girls, if this Nightmare Moon was so wicked, why does she have her own holiday?” He asked as they ate, of course, no pony spoke with their mouth full.

Twilight answered. “Well, you see, it was really Celestia’s idea. She figured if she could put a positive spin on Nightmare Moon, it might help the ponies accept Luna if she ever returned, which she did.”

“And, how did her first Nightmare Night after returning go?” Charles asked with genuine curiosity.

“It went not so good at first, every pony still saw her as Nightmare Moon and were afraid of her, but with mine and my friends help, we managed to help the ponies see that she wasn’t Nightmare Moon but princess Luna. After that, the rest of the night went great, every pony had fun with Luna.”

“I’m glad to hear that. Sounds like she was seen as a monster too huh, I’m kind of jealous of her.” He said as he looked down at his meal.

The girls looked at each other with a bit of concern. Applejack was the first to speak. “What do ya mean by that sugar cube?”

He looked back up at them. “I was seen as a monster too, yet in just one night, she was able to find acceptance from others, it took me coming to another dimension to do that, and it was after so many years of being on my own.”

Charles then shook his head to rid himself of those thoughts. “But hey, it all worked out in the end for me. I’ve got a new place to live, a nice job, great friends, and four beautiful marefriends. All in all, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.” He said with a big smile.

Rarity then spoke up. “Glad to hear you say that Charles.”

It was then that Charles had another idea. “Say Rarity, I was wondering if I could ask a favor of you?”

“But of course dear, you can ask me anything.”

“I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind designing a suit for me for Nightmare Night?”

Rarity gave Charles a confused look. “But darling, you already have a suit, you’re wearing it right now.” She pointed out.

“I know, but the suit I have in mind is a bit old fashioned from my world. In a certain era on earth, it was a fancy looking suit that high class humans wore. Now adays, in the right setting, it can be considered creepy. I want to wear this suit for nightmare night and I need your help, I would like you to make it for me and I will give you all the details about it later. Is that all right?”

“An old fashioned suit, I suppose, sure, it would be interesting to learn a bit more about the fashion of the world you came from, especially old ones.”

Charles smiled big. “Great, I’ll come by tomorrow while I’m off duty to help you and tell you what is needed. I really appreciate it Rarity.”

Rarity gave a dismissive wave of her hoof. “Think nothing of it dear, I am more than happy to help my dear colt friend.” After that, Charles just let the girls talk during the rest of the meal and heard more about the adventures they had together. The evening couldn’t have gone better in Charles’s opinion, he had a nice time with his new marefriends. Things couldn’t possibly get any better for him.

Author's Note:

I want to thank you all for your support, it really bolsters my confidence as a writer. Thank you again. Please don't get on me about the food, I just made up whatever for them to eat.